No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• Yes, that's also my understanding about "first international Trailer". I guess they've somehow decided to skip the "real" teaser trailer this time (we'll be exactly 4 months before cinemas release) and they are going to release already a first trailer, which will be more than a "normal" teaser.
    I don't have a specific date, only "early December".
    boldfinger wrote: »

Or per the sentiment of your previous post, you could acknowledge it as a simple mistake, and we can move on. It was pretty clear to me what it was. I completely agree with what you said previously, but you just chose a poor example to back it up in this case. No big deal.
    I can hardly acknowledge it as a mistake on my side if it seemed obvious to me that the line in bold was the poster's opinion. And I don't believe by any means I was the only one with this interpretation.

Okay, dude. If you say so.
    Look, if you want to call it my mistake, that only proves my point that the formulation of posts contributes to their potential for getting misinterpreted. I dare say I am among those who actually read posts before commenting on them. A lot of people don't, as can be openly seen from a number of misquotations happening. Now if someone who actually read the post misunderstood it, the chances are pretty obvious that those who are not in the habit of reading before commenting might misquote it too.

Look, I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was just making a suggestion according to my opinion on the matter. No sarcasm or cynicism involved on my part. I hope noone takes this as a personal attack.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Music to my ears! :)
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 78
    I’m sure I’m not alone in hoping the first trailer is more substantial than the typical 1.30min teaser format for a first trailer.
    Having not had much on the lead up so far where usually we would of had a few video blogs and more official stills, I think we deserve a 2min + first trailer, right?!
    Then a second trailer with different material maybe February time. Everything crossed for a good length first trailer. I’m sure it’ll go down a storm!! I’m thinking that will then kick start the marketing and we’ll get a steady flow then?.. (hopefully!) 🍸
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,126
    JG007 wrote: »
    I’m sure I’m not alone in hoping the first trailer is more substantial than the typical 1.30min teaser format for a first trailer.
    Having not had much on the lead up so far where usually we would of had a few video blogs and more official stills, I think we deserve a 2min + first trailer, right?!
    Then a second trailer with different material maybe February time. Everything crossed for a good length first trailer. I’m sure it’ll go down a storm!! I’m thinking that will then kick start the marketing and we’ll get a steady flow then?.. (hopefully!) 🍸

Hopefully we will know more about this film then reporters writing up articles.

• Something coming tomorrow morning. Sounds like more of a tidbit of news than something big.

Something coming tomorrow morning. Sounds like more of a tidbit of news than something big.
    Hopefully its something actually good.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Something coming tomorrow morning. Sounds like more of a tidbit of news than something big.

giphy.gif
  • Perhaps the set visit embargo lifts tomorrow?

Also, is BirthsDeathMovies referring to UK or US morning? Perhaps @antovolk can help
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Perhaps the set visit embargo lifts tomorrow?

Also, is BirthsDeathMovies referring to UK or US morning? Perhaps @antovolk can help

Doubt it.

And US morning, the site is based in Austin, Texas.
    Most likely a big anti climax? Guess we will have to see what the morning brings?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Frankie Renda, Sound Engineer on NTTD:

I just got back home and found these photos from the 007 set had been delivered to me. It’s not effortless, but it’s rewarding. Thank you so much Michael G Wilson, for the photos, and the quality chats in Matera.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It really is a 'family' environment when you work on a Bond film.
    You often hear crew on doco's say similar things. It's a nice way of working.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Contraband wrote: »
    Frankie Renda, Sound Engineer on NTTD:

I just got back home and found these photos from the 007 set had been delivered to me. It’s not effortless, but it’s rewarding. Thank you so much Michael G Wilson, for the photos, and the quality chats in Matera.

Fantastic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The man with the golden pen! :)
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    Hope it's something juicy.

007Blofeld wrote: »
    Hope it's something juicy.

And not bloody.
  • New interview with PWB:

Also, it looks as though Lashana has another photoshoot or press event today:

• edited November 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge says she has added some "little spices" to the new James Bond film No Time to Die.

The award-winning writer, actress and creator of Fleabag says she was brought on board "to help out" with the script for the 25th 007 instalment.

"They were just looking for tweaks across a few of the characters and a few of the storylines," she adds.

No Time to Die will be the first Bond film to come out in the era of the #MeToo and Time's Up movements.

But, while questions have been raised in recent years about the misogynistic and domineering way James Bond has traditionally treated women, Waller-Bridge insists she was not told to change the culture of the films.

"They were already doing that themselves," she says. "They're having that conversation with themselves the whole time. It (her involvement) was much more practical. Just, 'You're a writer, we need some help with these scenes. And you come up with some dialogue for these characters'."

Waller-Bridge is only the second woman to have a writing credit on a Bond film during the franchise's 57-year history. The first was Johanna Harwood on Dr No and From Russia with Love in the early 1960s.

Daniel Craig, who's played Bond since 2006, has said it was his idea to enlist Waller-Bridge.

She says it was actually the film's American producer Barbara Broccoli who first got in touch.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionLeft-right: Lea Seydoux, Ana de Armas, Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris and Lashana Lynch launch No Time to Die

"We met for coffee and then a few months later we met again. And then I met the director Cary Joji Fukunaga and then I met Daniel after that. But I know Daniel and Barbara had been talking about it for while," explains Waller-Bridge.

She then spent time discussing the script with Craig in New York before joining the cast and crew at Pinewood where she spent "a lot of time" on set.

She said "it doesn't get cooler" than writing lines for James Bond.

The film's lead actress is Lashana Lynch, who plays a British agent. She says she was overjoyed when she discovered Waller-Bridge was going to be involved.

Lynch told the Hollywood Reporter magazine: "I very literally squealed when I first heard her name. I thought, 'Oh my gosh, British girl just like me. She's going to know how to actually take care of women onscreen'."

Ana de Armas, who will also be seen in No Time to Die, says Bond fans will notice the shift in dynamics in the new film. "It's pretty obvious that there is an evolution in the fact that Lashana is one of the main characters in the film and wears the pants - literally," she told the magazine.

But for fans hoping Waller-Bridge might make a brief appearance, she herself stresses she's not in the film.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50331077
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    On a different issue, it would be interesting to see if Fukunaga regards this film as his "Spartacus".

If you know the story, the 1960 film was produced by Kirk Douglas and involved an all-stars cast (Douglas, Tony Curtis, Laurence Olivier, Peter Ustinov, Charles Laughton, Jean Simmons, etc.) Douglas initially signed Anthony Mann (Man of the West, The Heroes of Telemark) as the director, but fired him after a few weeks, because Douglas felt that his authority was threatened by Mann.
    As a result, Douglas called... Stanley Kubrick, because Kubrick owed him at least one film due to the deal signed around Paths of Glory. Douglas assumed that Kubrick, who was then quite young (he was 30 or 31) and had never worked of a production of such a scale, would be easier to manipulate. Kubrick accepted, as a few projects he had developed had fallen through (Marlon Brando had decided to direct One-Eyed Jacks on his own). Production actually resumed with a new director after the weekend IIRC.
    Sure, the relationship between Kubrick and Douglas was notoriously difficult (and Kubrick basically fired the DoP after a few days to handle the duties on his own), but in the end Kubrick delivered the blockbuster on budget and on schedule at a time other studios had big issues with epics, especially swords and sandals. Compare this to Cleopatra to see what I mean.
    It turned out to be Kubrick's ticket to the "Big League", which he later used to secure fundings for Lolita and Dr. Strangelove, which were much more personal projects to him. Kubrick later took Spartacus out of his filmography, as it was the film on which he didn't have full control.

The parallels with Fukunaga are interesting, as Fukunaga, like a lot of directors, reveres Stanley Kubrick and is even supposed to handle a miniseries version of the script Kubrick had written on Napoléon. (Kubrick also crossed paths with EON a couple of times, as he worked with some of the same people, and even helped Ken Adam to light the huge supertanker set from TSWLM that had overwhelmed Claude Renoir. And it was one of his daughters, who worked at the art department for EON, who designed Jaws' metal teeth.)
    Fukunaga had a few projects that remain in development hell or that he was ousted from (the It adaptation, and Kubrick naturally directed the film version of The Shining).
    He joined a "troubled production" that had just lost its more seasoned director (plus a main writer).
    He was ultimately able to direct No Time to Die quite smoothly, on (revised) schedule, and without much fuss caused by him.
    So, it should be interesting to see if Fukunaga tries to stick with Bond in the future or regards No Time to Die as evidence he's not difficult and he's ready to compromise, so he can get big budgets for more personal projects.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge says she has added some "little spices" to the new James Bond film No Time to Die.

The award-winning writer, actress and creator of Fleabag says she was brought on board "to help out" with the script for the 25th 007 instalment.

"They were just looking for tweaks across a few of the characters and a few of the storylines," she adds.

No Time to Die will be the first Bond film to come out in the era of the #MeToo and Time's Up movements.

But, while questions have been raised in recent years about the misogynistic and domineering way James Bond has traditionally treated women, Waller-Bridge insists she was not told to change the culture of the films.

"They were already doing that themselves," she says. "They're having that conversation with themselves the whole time. It (her involvement) was much more practical. Just, 'You're a writer, we need some help with these scenes. And you come up with some dialogue for these characters'."

Waller-Bridge is only the second woman to have a writing credit on a Bond film during the franchise's 57-year history. The first was Johanna Harwood on Dr No and From Russia with Love in the early 1960s.

Daniel Craig, who's played Bond since 2006, has said it was his idea to enlist Waller-Bridge.

She says it was actually the film's American producer Barbara Broccoli who first got in touch.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionLeft-right: Lea Seydoux, Ana de Armas, Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris and Lashana Lynch launch No Time to Die

"We met for coffee and then a few months later we met again. And then I met the director Cary Joji Fukunaga and then I met Daniel after that. But I know Daniel and Barbara had been talking about it for while," explains Waller-Bridge.

She then spent time discussing the script with Craig in New York before joining the cast and crew at Pinewood where she spent "a lot of time" on set.

The film's lead actress is Lashana Lynch, who plays a British agent. She says she was overjoyed when she discovered Waller-Bridge was going to be involved.

Lynch told the Hollywood Reporter magazine: "I very literally squealed when I first heard her name. I thought, 'Oh my gosh, British girl just like me. She's going to know how to actually take care of women onscreen'."

Ana de Armas, who will also be seen in No Time to Die, says Bond fans will notice the shift in dynamics in the new film. "It's pretty obvious that there is an evolution in the fact that Lashana is one of the main characters in the film and wears the pants - literally," she told the magazine.

But for fans hoping Waller-Bridge might make a brief appearance, she herself stresses she's not in the film.

If this is metaphorical too, then it makes me a little nervous. I hope this girl power thing isn’t forced and comes off naturally and that Bond is as much a womanizing chauvinist as ever and doesn’t take her shit...within reason.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bounine wrote: »

If this is metaphorical too, then it makes me a little nervous. I hope this girl power thing isn’t forced and comes off naturally and that Bond is as much a womanizing chauvinist as ever and doesn’t take her shit...within reason.

I’m surprised someone could read that article and come to that conclusion.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Bounine wrote: »

That's the only thing i 'worry' about too. Though she did say that Bond doesn't need to change. But i don't want her to make a caricature of him either. And the male characters in Fleabag all felt like caricatures to me, that's the only thing i can judge her on.

As a first time Bond writer she will simply have to prove herself.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    NTTD has me as excited as I was for CR. My anticipation level is very high.
    I love the not knowing anything. And I think it works really well. The intrigue and excitement for this film is brilliant as far as I'm concerned.
    This is good stuff for this Bond fan.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I guarantee a thread dedicated to people trying to decide which lines were written by PWB.
  • Benny wrote: »
    NTTD has me as excited as I was for CR. My anticipation level is very high.
    I love the not knowing anything. And I think it works really well. The intrigue and excitement for this film is brilliant as far as I'm concerned.
    This is good stuff for this Bond fan.

I'm really excited too!
  • ObannoObanno Somewhere & Everywhere
    First time poster but a looooong time lurker.

My thoughts on NTTD:

Lashana sounds like she'll have a big part to play in the story. I also suspect Bond will not bed anyone other than Madeleine. Ana de Armas will have a brief cameo role where Bond just uses her to get information (in the same vein as Solange) or acts as a fellow agent (like Manuela in MR). I do not think this needs overthinking at all.

I'm more curious about Lashana's role. Did P&W go back to their Jinx script, re-invent the character as a British agent and incorporate her and her story in this Bond movie? I suspect they did.

I really do not know what kind of movie we are going to get because so many factors have yet to be explored (i.e. Felix, the villain, the scooby gang, Blofeld) and i'm curious to know how they'll fit all this into one movie! I'm a big fan of CJF and from what i've seen of his work so far, he knows how to tell a story and develop characters. He knows how to build and shoot tension as well, as evidenced here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TSRHc2-S0Rw

I can't recall a single edge-of -your-seat moment in QoS all the way to SP. Don't get me wrong, I love ALL Bond movies but Mendes and Forster just lack the wit and panache in their personality, directing style and storytelling (Mendes captures it in the PTS in SP but only until the building blows up, then we are back to generic action and story). CJF, although reserved as a person, certainly has the flair, style and flexibility that'll lend itself to the Bond universe. The trailer will go some way in telling us whether Bond has the twinkle in his eye back, I suspect he will and Craig will get the send off he deserves.