Official NTTD Poster Thread

Comments

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,630
    Univex wrote: »
    ...those Star Wars weirdo's...who manage to turn an actress into tears on the red carpet because they disagree with her role. Really? There are times I'm longing to the more organized societies of the past, when there was no Twitter and all other sorts of social media.

Can't argue with that last point, but @GertGettler, out of curiosity, who did the SW fans made cry on the red carpet? Never heard of it.

It was Kelly Marie Tran who performed Rose Tico in "Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi". You just had to read some of the comments on the biggest Star Wars forum. It was actually disgusting and truly a step too far. It brought Ms Tran to tears, she even wrote a short letter to director Rian Johnson, who equally was despised by the fans (for continuously supporting her). If we, as Bond fans, become like that, then I hope some now guidelines will be adopted:

INeqtU3.png
    5u1rtGB.jpg
    itUE1jm.jpg

Free speech is one thing. But being responsible with words need to go hand in hand with free speech again more often. Let's hope Lashana Lynch does not get the 'Kelly Marie Tran'-treatment next April. Regardless of our criticism, let's not become bullies. Seeing all the critical comments, opinionated or not, I wonder how the actual designer of the teaser poster thinks about all this. I prefer to back, support the designer who made the official teaser poster. Sometimes supporting 'the elite' ain't all that to get back to more civilized debate and respect for those working their buts off on designing official imagery of the franchise.

Just looked it up. Kelly Marie Tran was crying tears of joy at the premiere of The Last Jedi. At this point, I don’t think there was any backlash to either her or her character, which came largely following the actual release of the film. The letter to Rian Johnson was one of thanks, not one of despair.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/kelly-marie-trans-emotional-night-was-the-highlight-of-1821182318
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    thread_is_crashing.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Back on track, please. People are making ridiculous false comparisons and acting like the poster shouldn't be critiqued because it's a teaser or because it might hurt the designer's feelings. There's no sense we, as Bond fans on a Bond forum, shouldn't be allowed to discuss the pros and cons of some of the first official marketing material from a new film in five years.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Back on track, please. People are making ridiculous false comparisons and acting like the poster shouldn't be critiqued because it's a teaser or because it might hurt the designer's feelings. There's no sense we, as Bond fans on a Bond forum, shouldn't be allowed to discuss the pros and cons of some of the first official marketing material from a new film in five years.

Thank you. Some sense at last.
  • Well said, @Creasy47
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Would like to hear people's thoughts on this :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I hope for the main poster, we get a poster with all the main players. A proper James Bond official poster with Bond at the centre, with cool images of our new/old characters. It can still be simple and minimalistic if they prefer, but there's many ways you could incorporate the rest of the cast like they used to. Again I'm still a fan of our new teaser poster, I think it does the job, but the next one needs to be more representative of the film as a whole :)
    Also here's an old poster of mine that best represents what I'd like for a main poster with much better imagery and editing obviously haha :D
    risico___rogue_one_style_concept_poster_by_sirturn-dbcx3kl.jpg
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,026
    Would like to hear people's thoughts on this :)
    I hope for the main poster, we get a poster with all the main players. A proper James Bond official poster with Bond at the centre, with cool images of our new/old characters. It can still be simple and minimalistic if they prefer, but there's many ways you could incorporate the rest of the cast like they used to. Again I'm still a fan of our new teaser poster, I think it does the job, but the next one needs to be more representative of the film as a whole :)

Absolutely. It would be a crime to waste Lashana in her commando outfit, especially.

18966354-7508081-Exhilarating_A_gun_wielding_agent_played_by_Lashana_Lynch_stalke-a-1_1569516100860.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Exactly @CraigMooreOHMSS! I was also very happy this image was released because there was such an overly positive response, even by general fans :) which I think was really needed after the unforunate backlash she received.
    Ultimately if it ends up with Greg Williams/Empire creating the theatrical poster, it will look much like the Craig non-SP posters. He did the poster photography for all of them, I believe besides Spectre, where Rankin did the photography. Hopefully, he goes in a different direction and gives us a poster not unlike the style @Denbigh's poster is based on but who knows.
    Exactly @CraigMooreOHMSS! I was also very happy this image was released because there was such an overly positive response, even by general fans :) which I think was really needed after the unforunate backlash she received.

Agreed. The outfit looks fantastic and I hope she gets a few badass moments in it.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    thread_is_crashing.jpg

Don't exaggerate. I think it's actually a very good debate we ought to have every once in a while.

I know it was a nice gesture of Ms Tran. But this little leaflet didn't come out of the blue either. It's sad that such fandom backlash needs to result in extra public support from producers and directors for an actress that got despised by fans.

The Lashana Lynch backlash is very much the same. And in a way this constant nitpicking on a teaser poster for goodness sake only makes it clearer how these same nitpickers will react on other aspects of the film, including a role or leading character.
    thread_is_crashing.jpg

Don't exaggerate.

You must be joking!

Look, @Creasy47 has already given us the words of a mod - so I'd appreciate if we got back to it and if you took your thesis to a relevant thread, if one exists for such thoughts. Because this line of conversation actually has little to do with the poster itself. Cheers.

Then just give a link to the Lashana Lynch topic. I think I wasn't making 'false' comparisons. I think even us fans get too worked up from a little thing like teaser posters. Expectations are so insanely high on the new Bond-film. And compared with a certain lack of patience, we put ourselves in the shoes of the actual official NTTD-marketeers, like we fans know what's better? Criticizing a t.e.a.s.e.r. poster with both pro's and con's is one thing, damning all aspects of it, producing fan art that's 'better' and even losing positivity because 'we didn't get a trailer' is something else.

So I think it's a perfect valid discussion. But let's continue this in the topic about Lashana Lynch (the female '007').
    Ultimately if it ends up with Greg Williams/Empire creating the theatrical poster, it will look much like the Craig non-SP posters. He did the poster photography for all of them, I believe besides Spectre, where Rankin did the photography. Hopefully, he goes in a different direction and gives us a poster not unlike the style @Denbigh's poster is based on but who knows.

Just don't expect too much 😊. I can already imagine how fan artists want to make a drawn/painted poster with a 70's vibe to counter -again- negative backlash within the Bond fan community about the newly released full theatrical poster 😅. Just....try to learn to like a bit....
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    giphy.gif

Then just give a link to the Lashana Lynch topic. I think I wasn't making 'false' comparisons. I think even us fans get too worked up from a little thing like teaser posters. Expectations are so insanely high on the new Bond-film. And compared with a certain lack of patience, we put ourselves in the shoes of the actual official NTTD-marketeers, like we fans know what's better? Criticizing a t.e.a.s.e.r. poster with both pro's and con's is one thing, damning all aspects of it, producing fan art that's 'better' and even losing positivity because 'we didn't get a trailer' is something else.

So I think it's a perfect valid discussion. But let's continue this in the topic about Lashana Lynch (the female '007').

The teaser poster we got is uninspired and bland, even when compared to other Craig teaser posters. There's nothing wrong with producing fan art that is better. If the poster was any bit better than what we got, we wouldn't have to talk about waiting for a trailer. Greg Williams/Empire deserves the criticism they received, they aren't immune from it. It's a Bond poster, the first film in five years and it's one with many publicized issues, it sorta needed to be a home run to gain some good faith (or at the very least a hit)... this was a swing and a miss (it's the MLB playoffs, so forgive the baseball talk).
  • thread_is_crashing.jpg

Don't exaggerate. I think it's actually a very good debate we ought to have every once in a while.

I know it was a nice gesture of Ms Tran. But this little leaflet didn't come out of the blue either. It's sad that such fandom backlash needs to result in extra public support from producers and directors for an actress that got despised by fans.

The Lashana Lynch backlash is very much the same. And in a way this constant nitpicking on a teaser poster for goodness sake only makes it clearer how these same nitpickers will react on other aspects of the film, including a role or leading character.
    You're being so overdramatic over the reception to the teaser poster.

Imagine how the producers felt when DAD came out and it got bad reviews and the fanbase was trashing it left and right. Awful!
    So yes, the next poster.

I think your ideas are pretty damn good @Denbigh

Your 'Risico' poster reminds me of this (probably because of the colours). Not drawn or painted but stylish nonetheless. With the number of potentially badass characters....it'd be nice to see them on display, even if only in a minor way.

6b89973e9c12ce12a4ce0de5661d1911.jpg

edited October 2019 Posts: 431
    Having said that, I do hope the NTTD full poster will be similar to the previous Craig-era posters. Simple, photography-based, mild colors (blacks, dark blues, etc), and not too much action scenes on it. Perhaps 2 person max on it. The Craig-era posters are sobre, like stylish elegant man model pictures. They are not Brosnan-era posters.

A bit like this perhaps. Which is more realistic to expect anyway 😊: at2gatN.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Definitely @CraigMooreOHMSS! Also, with the casting of Rami Malek, a very popular actor right now, it would be a waste not to include him in as much of the marketing as possible. A poster with Malek, and possibly the rest of the main cast, could go a long way to getting more buzz for this film. You guys hired Malek, now use Malek... in a business sense haha :D
    Those Skyfall character posters did wonders imo. They were eveywhere, buses, the London underground, especially the motion ones. If any other Londoners didn't know Skyfall was coming out, they were probably under a rock for quite a lot of 2012 haha :D
    Definitely @CraigMooreOHMSS! Also, with the casting of Rami Malek, a very popular actor right now, it would be a waste not to include him in as much of the marketing as possible. A poster with Malek, and possibly the rest of the main cast, could go a long way to getting more buzz for this film. You guys hired Malek, now use Malek... in a business sense haha :D
    Those Skyfall character posters did wonders imo. They were eveywhere, buses, the London underground, especially the motion ones. If any other Londoners didn't know Skyfall was coming out, they were probably under a rock for quite a lot of 2012 haha :D

Agreed. The character posters were very effective despite their simplicity. I do hope we get something like that again.

Malek has the kind of face that would make you fall off your bike if you saw him on the side of a bus while cycling.

What link? And there's absolutely no comparison to be made between sexist, racist comments and death threats aimed at an actress over her film role in a Star Wars film and some fans thinking the teaser poster is terribly uninspired and generic. People are simply sharing their thoughts and throwing their own ideas into the mix, because the consensus from most is that it is a rather bland poster. There's no harm in that - we are a Bond forum. The same thing will inevitably happen with more posters, more character posters, the teasers and trailers, and more. You see it constantly, from overall film posters to bad song choices in a given trailer to even character designs, like that recent Sonic movie.

You seem to take some personal offense in those with a differing opinion, at least to the point that you keep making the same comments as if it'll change minds. Nobody has taken their dislike over the poster (teaser or not, it's irrelevant, not sure why you keep hanging on that point - should we also not judge the film based on the teaser trailer because it's a "t.e.a.s.e.r."?) to the level of what Tran endured. Not even close, it's not in the same ballpark at all. There's also no real "learning to like" the poster. You either like it or you don't. Maybe it grows on some people, but you can't "learn" such a thing. It's completely subjective.

The only thing I'll agree with you on here is the ridiculousness in the "anger" and "outrage" over people not getting a trailer when they randomly expect one to drop. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment and acting like the film will be a failure (or not marketed at all) or that these expectations somehow justify fan petitions is ludicrous. Fans will be fans, though. I get that there's a heavy excitement for a new installment after such a lengthy period of time, but keeping moods and expectations in check never hurt anybody.

Sorry for the rant, but I just get tired of this pressing superiority I see creeping up in some comments throughout the NTTD threads, as if someone has the right to tell another person what they should or shouldn't like or why they're wrong about a particular opinion regarding something Bond related like that. Toss in the aforementioned outrage and impatience, along with the personal attacks when someone has a scoop or a source that doesn't pan out, and it really does kill the moods of a lot of fans on here. I know I'm not the only one feeling this way. If cooler, patient heads prevailed and we could simply state our opinions, agree, disagree and move on while acting like adults and without it becoming personal or combative, these discussions would go a lot better.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 431
    With "learning to like" I actually meant "growing on you". And in a way they are similar. I dislike certain classical concerts on first listen, but after several listens it grows on me, I discover things I did not hear beforehand, thus I can be 'learning to like it' in a way.

Perhaps I'm desperate to meet some fans from here in London next April or March 😊. At these moments I wonder why I came back. Forums have one big flaw: it's full of real human beings, but they all act slightly differently when chatting behind the safe confinements of a laptop, smartphone or desktop PC....in comparison to seeing each other for real ☺️. Forums are to that respect not so different from certain social media outlets.

Anyway, back on topic. I couldn't care less about poster designs. In the end what counts for me is the movie.
    giphy.gif

Moving on, again...
    Okay then...

Yes, back on topic, please, as I initially requested.
    Truthfully, I hope for a Brosnan-era poster for NTTD. The simplicity, while nice at times, makes things boring and predictable in my opinion. Looking at a Brosnan poster, I always wonder about the context of different images and how it plays out in the actual film. And they're generally pretty fun and screams action/Bond film.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Truthfully, I hope for a Brosnan-era poster for NTTD. The simplicity, while nice at times, makes things boring and predictable in my opinion. Looking at a Brosnan poster, I always wonder about the context of different images and how it plays out in the actual film. And they're generally pretty fun and screams action/Bond film.

Precisely! A roller-coaster of action and romance, and glamour. They were photoshopped, but at least they took the time to photoshop them. ;)

Precisely! A roller-coaster of action and romance, and glamour. They were photoshopped, but at least they took the time to photoshop them. ;)

Unfortunately we're in an era where the painted poster is seldom used (although we can see that painted concepts still exist) and photoshopped work is very much "in". I don't want to look at a poster and see a couple of images thrown together and a title/credits slapped on it and have them call it a day.
    Seeing all the critical comments, opinionated or not, I wonder how the actual designer of the teaser poster thinks about all this. I prefer to back, support the designer who made the official teaser poster. Sometimes supporting 'the elite' ain't all that to get back to more civilized debate and respect for those working their buts off on designing official imagery of the franchise.

As a designer you have to be able to face critique. You'd be surprised how detailed a client can be in their feedback and opinions about minor things, just like the teaser poster is critiqued here.

And this is after all a poster that reaches a massive audience. They will most definitely be expecting reactions that aren't only positive.