Official NTTD Poster Thread

Comments

I think the poster is pretty great.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thank you TWANEpod for being a more realistic observer of 25 years of Bond teaser posters:
    https://www.fatherly.com/news/no-time-to-die-poster-james-bond-fans-daniel-craig/

No thank you to those fans whose 'craftmanship', is now in part responsible for all the media backlash. Over a teaser poster no less. This is what you get if you dwell in 'trusted' sources, knowing for certain a trailer is imminent, only resulting in backlash from the same fans if it's only a teaser poster that's being released on Global James Bond Day. Again, with so many wannabe 'Bond producers' at the helm, the Bond Fandom is quickly turning into the same negative, dire group of anti-ambassadors that the Star Wars Fandom is.

Excellent post.

Thanks @DrClatterhand . And you know what? I myself may sound negative too to others sometimes. But then there's some basis in it, I'm doing some research on it and write a lengthy article about it with arguments based on facts (like the finances and the business model behind the franchise).

But this is something else. We are putting a teaser poster under a....guillotine. Really? A t.e.a.s.e.r. Yes this is a forum, and I understand it's a big melting pot and all that. But I stay with my opinion that our 'fandom' is indeed turning as dark and negative as those Star Wars weirdo's...who manage to turn an actress into tears on the red carpet because they disagree with her role. Really? There are times I'm longing to the more organized societies of the past, when there was no Twitter and all other sorts of social media.

Depends really: do you think the people who get paid to produce these for a living don’t care about them? I think they do. And if they do, why aren’t we allowed to care? To appreciate then if we like?
    I doubt you’ll be able to answer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Back on track, please. People are making ridiculous false comparisons and acting like the poster shouldn't be critiqued because it's a teaser or because it might hurt the designer's feelings. There's no sense we, as Bond fans on a Bond forum, shouldn't be allowed to discuss the pros and cons of some of the first official marketing material from a new film in five years.

Apologies; just saw this.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Truthfully, I hope for a Brosnan-era poster for NTTD. The simplicity, while nice at times, makes things boring and predictable in my opinion. Looking at a Brosnan poster, I always wonder about the context of different images and how it plays out in the actual film. And they're generally pretty fun and screams action/Bond film.

I dunno: I like the simple, clever ones. Goldfinger (the best); For Your Eyes Only; Living Daylights... Spectre didn’t quite have the wit of those, but it was eye-catching and simple and striking. I wouldn’t object to a similar one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    No worries, @mtm, but please be sure to avoid double/triple posting by using the edit button.

As I've said, in my opinion it's not necessarily a "bad" poster but it doesn't stand out and is fairly bland for the most part. Will be curious to see what the other poster(s) can manage. The SP ones didn't interest me at all but damn, if Craig didn't look great and classic in that turtleneck poster.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    mtm wrote: »
    Truthfully, I hope for a Brosnan-era poster for NTTD. The simplicity, while nice at times, makes things boring and predictable in my opinion. Looking at a Brosnan poster, I always wonder about the context of different images and how it plays out in the actual film. And they're generally pretty fun and screams action/Bond film.

I dunno: I like the simple, clever ones. Goldfinger (the best); For Your Eyes Only; Living Daylights... Spectre didn’t quite have the wit of those, but it was eye-catching and simple and striking. I wouldn’t object to a similar one.

I don't know. FYEO and TLD has some variation of this, although in painted form.

for%2Byour%2Beyes%2Bonly%2Bposter.jpg

8a65af0459d5e8810632beaaf9c25a1c.jpg
  • Those legs...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,973

I don't know. FYEO and TLD has some variation of this, although in painted form.

for%2Byour%2Beyes%2Bonly%2Bposter.jpg

8a65af0459d5e8810632beaaf9c25a1c.jpg

They're not as good as the simple, photographic versions if you ask me.

339.jpg

354.jpg

It's received wisdom that 'the painted posters were the best', but here are three occasions that prove that wrong, if you ask me.

398.jpg

TLD and FYEO are obviously variants on the same idea, but it's a good one! :)
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,294
    That FYEO illustrated poster is one of my all-time favourites, so the photographic version doesn't do as much for me. But it no doubt works very well as a concept, and is still a very good example of a photographic poster. As for TLD, it's a draw for me between the illustrated one and the photographic one. The illustrated poster leaves an impression because of the quality of the artwork (and the imagery selected), and the photographic one is very much an attention grabbing image.

As for the GF poster, the one you posted here @mtm, is no doubt one of my favourite Bond posters - alongside the one where they've used the same idea, only superimposing the image of Connery and Blackman on Margaret Nolan's body (as opposed to just the hand):

Goldfinger_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg
    (Well done, Robert Brownjohn!)

I've also seen a version of the same GF poster(s) which is just the typography without any imagery. If anyone knows where I can get one of those, please let me know!
    _______

On the topic of painted posters vs. minimalistic (but often eye-catching) imagery, it's very much a draw for me. I don't prefer one over the other. It's all about how it's presented, and if there are elements I like. The NTTD teaser poster is lacking that attention grabbing element for me, but it does leave me curious as to which direction they're taking with the rest of the posters for the film (and other promotional content).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,973
    As for the GF poster, the one you posted here @mtm, is no doubt one of my favourite Bond posters - alongside the one where they've used the same idea, only superimposing the image of Connery and Blackman on Margaret Nolan's body (as opposed to just the hand)

Yes indeed; it's an either/or for me and I just happened to find the 'hand' one quicker! :)
    They're both superb and I'd say possibly the best Bond poster so far. Brownjohn was probably the best designer to work on Bond (I enjoy Binder but I think the Goldfinger titles top any of his).

Just as a side thought, does the original photo of Connery and Blackman projected onto the figure exist out in the open? I don't think I recall seeing it anywhere in its original form.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,294
    As for the GF poster, the one you posted here @mtm, is no doubt one of my favourite Bond posters - alongside the one where they've used the same idea, only superimposing the image of Connery and Blackman on Margaret Nolan's body (as opposed to just the hand)

Yes indeed; it's an either/or for me and I just happened to find the 'hand' one quicker! :)
    They're both superb and I'd say possibly the best Bond poster so far. Brownjohn was probably the best designer to work on Bond (I enjoy Binder but I think the Goldfinger titles top any of his).

Just as a side thought, does the original photo of Connery and Blackman projected onto the figure exist out in the open? I don't think I recall seeing it anywhere in its original form.

I agree, it's quite possibly the best Bond poster(s) yet, and Brownjohn is indeed one of the best designers that have worked on Bond - if not the best. I really like what he did with the FRWL title sequence too (which of course is a variant of the same idea), but the imagery in GF makes it more striking. That's why those two posters work so well too.

Re. that photo, I don't think I've seen the original either!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Another random thought: Binder didn't work at all on FRWL? I wonder whose idea it was to use the gunbarrel sequence before the opening sequence?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Another random thought: Binder didn't work at all on FRWL? I wonder whose idea it was to use the gunbarrel sequence before the opening sequence?

Binder was busy on another film commitment. I believe the gunbarrel was originially not included in the film (the film would simply open with the SPECTRE training scene), bear in mind that back then the UA logo wasn't placed in front of the film, but they added it to make sure people knew the film had started.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Binder was busy on another film commitment. I believe the gunbarrel was originially not included in the film (the film would simply open with the SPECTRE training scene), bear in mind that back then the UA logo wasn't placed in front of the film, but they added it to make sure people knew the film had started.

The UA logo? That's interesting; I've not heard that before.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires

The UA logo? That's interesting; I've not heard that before.

As far as I know, the films from Dr No to Thunderball had no logo at all, they started with the gunbarrel.

I think the same applied for other UA films. In my A Shot In The Dark DVD there's no UA logo. Same with the print they screened in Argentina back in 2004 for the 40th.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, as you say, I remember You Only Live Twice had that incredibly funky colourful 60s UA logo, didn't it? That was awesome.

I feel a bit sad when the Blu Rays open with the modern MGM lion or whatever. Half of the excitement of watching GoldenEye for the first time was that UA logo with the stars sort of floating around and the really quite nice jingle which fades away to darkness.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    I feel a bit sad when the Blu Rays open with the modern MGM lion or whatever. Half of the excitement of watching GoldenEye for the first time was that UA logo with the stars sort of floating around and the really quite nice jingle which fades away to darkness.

Luckily, they have restored the original 1994 logo to the 4K Apple transfer. It's preceded by the 2012 MGM logo, though. (camera zooming out of Leo's eye)

Luckily, they have restored the original 1994 logo to the 4K Apple transfer. It's preceded by the 2012 MGM logo, though. (camera zooming out of Leo's eye)

Have they restored the original logos for all the 4K Apple transfers?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ah cool!
  • RyanRyan Canada

Yes I think Peter Hunt was actually the one responsible for bringing back the gun barrel as he shuffled around the scene order in the editing room.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ryan wrote: »

Yes I think Peter Hunt was actually the one responsible for bringing back the gun barrel as he shuffled around the scene order in the editing room.

I guess that makes sense: thanks! Interesting to learn who actually started that tradition.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Contraband wrote: »
    Love it, and not just cause it reminds me of my own creation haha :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Now THAT’S a great looking poster with an uber cool Bond.
    The above should have been the teaser
    Granted, that looks good. Isn't that @Denbigh 's poster, though?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »
    Granted, that looks good. Isn't that @Denbigh 's poster, though?
    No, not mine @Univex, just similar :)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,445
    What if poster be used as novel cover

book-nttdfanart.jpg

book-nttdfanart-writers.jpg

book-nttdfanart-writers-2.jpg
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    All this chatter about the poster--the type font, the blue wall, the lack of a gun--and no one yet has mentioned the most important detail it reveals:

the sleeve on Bond's tuxedo appears to feature a turn-back cuff!

TURN-BACK CUFFS ON THE TUX!!

When was the last time we saw a shawl-collar tuxedo with turn-back cuffs? Could it have been... DR. NO??
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Contraband wrote: »

Worrying when the fans turn out better teaser posters than the makers....