Official NTTD Poster Thread

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, the poster is woeful, and tells us nothing about Bond 25 actually is. Maybe we'll get to see that doorframe at some point, but that's it. If they genuinely couldn't do any better, more inventive than this then only makes me more anxious about the finished product.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Yes, the poster is woeful, and tells us nothing about Bond 25 actually is. Maybe we'll get to see that doorframe at some point, but that's it. If they genuinely couldn't do any better, more inventive than this then only makes me more anxious about the finished product.
    You’ve already decided you’ll hate it, so I doubt even a more inventive poster would have elicited a different response from you.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,087
    Minion wrote: »
    You’ve already decided you’ll hate it, so I doubt even a more inventive poster would have elicited a different response from you.

There are several incidents since the release of SP which have left me as a Bond fan with a bitter taste in the mouth, but the onus has been on EON to give me something to get excited about, and make the right decisions. If I liked the poster, or the title, I wouldn't hesitate to say so. But I had reservations before and this poster only strengthens them. It's like all the decision-making is last minute, and someone realised that there was no poster, so they threw this out there. And the Jamaica reveal was similarly slap dash, and the title feels like it was decided in an afternoon. Its not good signs from a lifelong fan who has expectations of the kind of high quality product that Bond should be.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All this chatter about the poster--the type font, the blue wall, the lack of a gun--and no one yet has mentioned the most important detail it reveals:

the sleeve on Bond's tuxedo appears to feature a turn-back cuff!

TURN-BACK CUFFS ON THE TUX!!

When was the last time we saw a shawl-collar tuxedo with turn-back cuffs? Could it have been... DR. NO??

Good catch. Add to that the fact that if you shuffle the letters in "Dan Romer" around, you get
    "More Dr. No"
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    All this chatter about the poster--the type font, the blue wall, the lack of a gun--and no one yet has mentioned the most important detail it reveals:

the sleeve on Bond's tuxedo appears to feature a turn-back cuff!

TURN-BACK CUFFS ON THE TUX!!

When was the last time we saw a shawl-collar tuxedo with turn-back cuffs? Could it have been... DR. NO??

Good catch. Add to that the fact that if you shuffle the letters in "Dan Romer" around, you get
    "More Dr. No"

:))
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Sorry to disappoint you all, but the last time Bond wore a shawl collar tuxedo with turnback cuffs was in Quantum Of Solace.

• RC7RC7

The campaign is to say Bond is back. Daniel Craig/Dinner Suit/007 logo. Done. Why should it tell you about ‘what it is’? It’s a Bond film. Are you in or not? If you’re not, jog on you boring bast...

• edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837

I hate it too and I understand that a crap poster isn't really going to build excitement, but come on. It's in no way a sign of the quality of the actual film. SF and SP had boring posters and they turned out great. LTK, my favourite Bond film, had a really crap poster compared to TLD. Still a brilliant film.

Slag off the poster all you want, I'll happily join in, but lets not use it as an excuse for more of your doomsaying please. You're bound to hate the film if you go into it this close minded. You might like it, you might hate it. Wait and see and give it a fair chance.
    Skyfall had awful posters. Skyfall was a brilliant film.

That's all. Cheerio.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Univex wrote: »
    Skyfall had awful posters. Skyfall was a brilliant film.

That's all. Cheerio.

Exactly. He'll probably reply soon with "no it wasn't" even though, like a lot of members on here who now slag it off, he probably loved it at the time (why else would he have that username). But even if you hate all the examples we've given you @Mendes4Lyfe, google some films you do like. I'm sure you'll find a few with terrible posters. Most modern posters are crap anyway.
    I used to call the Skyfall posters "Tintin-Bond", and they were awfully unimaginative. The first image from the film was a short haired Bond with stubble (beautiful shot, actually). Then the film went on to be the most acclaimed Bond film of recent years. And it's brilliant, IMAIMPO (that stands for in mine and in many people's opinion, btw).

But I guess some people have already made up their minds, posters or no posters.

There are several incidents since the release of SP which have left me as a Bond fan with a bitter taste in the mouth, but the onus has been on EON to give me something to get excited about, and make the right decisions. If I liked the poster, or the title, I wouldn't hesitate to say so. But I had reservations before and this poster only strengthens them. It's like all the decision-making is last minute, and someone realised that there was no poster, so they threw this out there. And the Jamaica reveal was similarly slap dash, and the title feels like it was decided in an afternoon. Its not good signs from a lifelong fan who has expectations of the kind of high quality product that Bond should be.
    Don’t delude yourself, because you certainly won’t deceive anyone here.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    HaphazardStuff about the poster/promotion of the movie.

• I just miss the style of the old posters.

Totally agree. There hasn't been anything about Bond 25 that has excited me after Boyle decided he was leaving. The one thing thing I am holding out in hope for is Shatterhand/YOLT being the underlying base and focus of the story, due to the rumours of this being the potential title a while ago. Then I would be getting VERY excited for this film.

- the choice of composer hasn't thrilled me. If anything, its left me feeling we are in for another insipid Newman type score, due to Romer's previous work. Had Arnold been asked to return, that alone would be leaving me feeling excited.

- the title is totally devoid of imagination, and sounds like something dreamed up during the Brosnan era.

- the teaser poster is just AWFUL. There is no getting around it. Like I have said before, it looks like it has been knocked together by someone who doesn't yet know how to use Photoshop properly.

I really hope all my fears are put to bed when I watch the new film, but the only way it would please me is if the score sounded like John Barry, and most of the film borrows from unused Fleming material. Then I would be in double-0-seven-heaven.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    HaphazardStuff about the poster/promotion of the movie.

Brilliant! =))
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,541

Totally agree. There hasn't been anything about Bond 25 that has excited me after Boyle decided he was leaving. The one thing thing I am holding out in hope for is Shatterhand/YOLT being the underlying base and focus of the story, due to the rumours of this being the potential title a while ago. Then I would be getting VERY excited for this film.

- the choice of composer hasn't thrilled me. If anything, its left me feeling we are in for another insipid Newman type score, due to Romer's previous work. Had Arnold been asked to return, that alone would be leaving me feeling excited.

- the title is totally devoid of imagination, and sounds like something dreamed up during the Brosnan era.

- the teaser poster is just AWFUL. There is no getting around it. Like I have said before, it looks like it has been knocked together by someone who doesn't yet know how to use Photoshop properly.

I really hope all my fears are put to bed when I watch the new film, but the only way it would please me is if the score sounded like John Barry, and most of the film borrows from unused Fleming material. Then I would be in double-0-seven-heaven.

It's funny that you didn't bother to mention the amazing Jaimaica BTS footage or the Choice of director/Cinematographer/Screenwriter. We had seen some amazing footage from Italy recently. You weren't thrilled about Romer but the other choices aren't really important

It's funny that you didn't bother to mention the amazing Jaimaica BTS footage or the Choice of director/Cinematographer/Screenwriter. We had seen some amazing footage from Italy recently. You weren't thrilled about Romer but the other choices aren't really important

The choice of director/cinematographer are secondary to me when it comes to Bond. First and foremost, the script has to rely HEAVILY on Ian Fleming. Maibaum was the only person who came closest to this, so I would only take an interest in the scriptwriter if he went on record to say the film will rely heavily on Fleming scenes. Then I would be getting excited.

And the director would only be of interest to me if he said he was planning on taking the film back to the Fleming novels. Then I would be getting excited.

We had some amazing footage in SP, and look how bad that turned out. The director is only as good as the script when it comes to Bond, and the script is only good if it goes directly back to Fleming.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,165

The choice of director/cinematographer are secondary to me when it comes to Bond. First and foremost, the script has to rely HEAVILY on Ian Fleming. Maibaum was the only person who came closest to this, so I would only take an interest in the scriptwriter if he went on record to say the film will rely heavily on Fleming scenes. Then I would be getting excited.

And the director would only be of interest to me if he said he was planning on taking the film back to the Fleming novels. Then I would be getting excited.

We had some amazing footage in SP, and look how bad that turned out. The director is only as good as the script when it comes to Bond, and the script is only good if it goes directly back to Fleming.
    I hate to break it you ya, but you’re just setting you up for disappointment. Maybe modern Bond isn’t for you, and Connery-thru-Dalton is where you should stop participating. It’s fine to admit when your tastes no longer align with a franchise. For instance, I like the Lucas Star Wars, but I can draw the line there and not bother with the Disney stuff. You can do that too, it’s that easy.

I hate to break it you ya, but you’re just setting you up for disappointment. Maybe modern Bond isn’t for you, and Connery-thru-Dalton is where you should stop participating. It’s fine to admit when your tastes no longer align with a franchise. For instance, I like the Lucas Star Wars, but I can draw the line there and not bother with the Disney stuff. You can do that too, it’s that easy.

Well no. CR is modern Bond, and EON got it right there.

CR is the exception, not the rule. It's also 13 years old.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,279

Wrong again pal.

Funny enough, had you said this during the Brozza era, I would be in agreement with you, as the films strayed waaay far away from Fleming during that period (especially DAD).

Yet even QoS and SF, both films try to return to Fleming, only doing it not very well, so there is a willingness to still do this. It's just that EON don't seem capable to do it justice anymore, instead trying to do `Fleming re-imagined' rather than take scenes directly from the novels like Maibaum could expertly do (FYEO, TLD, LTK).

CR is now seen by many as DC's best film, so EON obviously got it right there.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,165

Wrong again pal.

Funny enough, had you said this during the Brozza era, I would be in agreement with you, as the films strayed waaay far away from Fleming during that period (especially DAD).

Yet even QoS and SF, both films try to return to Fleming, only doing it not very well, so there is a willingness to still do this. It's just that EON don't seem capable to do it justice anymore, instead trying to do `Fleming re-imagined' rather than take scenes directly from the novels like Maibaum could expertly do (FYEO, TLD, LTK).

Okay, bucko. We'll see you on the hate train with @Mendes4Lyfe when April 8, 2020 rolls around, because I can guarantee you that your expectations of "adhering to Fleming" won't be met if QOS/Sf weren't good enough for you. Like I said, you can save yourself the pain now in acknowledging that, or allow yourself to be disappointed.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,279

Wrong again pal.

Okay, bucko. We'll see you on the hate train with @Mendes4Lyfe when April 8, 2020 rolls around, because I can guarantee your expectations of "adhering to Fleming" won't be met.

Let's hope you are wrong, so I'll be loving the film instead, and I'll be seeing you on the hate train, as you so obviously despise Fleming.... ;)

Wrong again pal.

Okay, bucko. We'll see you on the hate train with @Mendes4Lyfe when April 8, 2020 rolls around, because I can guarantee your expectations of "adhering to Fleming" won't be met.

Let's hope you are wrong, so I'll be loving the film instead, and I'll be seeing you on the hate train, as you so obviously despise Fleming.... ;)
    Oh, this is the Joy Train, where we love all things Bond. You're welcome to join us at any time. :)

Wrong again pal.

Oh, this is the Joy Train, where we love all things Bond. You're welcome to join us at any time. :)

I assume anyone can still hop aboard the Joy Train, but feel free to criticise the food they are serving on there if it's gone stale....?

Wrong again pal.

I assume anyone can still hop aboard the Joy Train, but feel free to criticise the food they are serving on there if it's gone stale....?
    Funny, it tastes fine to me. But if you don't like the food, feel free to stay in your cabin.

Wrong again pal.

Funny, it tastes fine to me. But if you don't like the food, feel free to stay in your cabin.

If we are talking about how one fan is more of a true Bond fan than another, I probably own far more Bond memorabilia and merchandise than you do, having been a massive fan of the franchise for 40 odd years, but if you don't like hearing criticism on a Bond forum, maybe you need to stay in your cabin....
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Let's get back on track and not start the prick-measuring on who's a bigger fan, please. It's a useless argument.
  • RC7RC7

Wrong again pal.

If we are talking about how one fan is more of a true Bond fan than another, I probably own far more Bond memorabilia and merchandise than you do, having been a massive fan of the franchise for 40 odd years, but if you don't like hearing criticism on a Bond forum, maybe you need to stay in your cabin....

Oh, dear.