Official NTTD Poster Thread

Comments

I think we guys see too much in teaser posters. It's a 't.e.a.s.e.r.'. My above examples show we really ought to cool down a bit. Are we on steroïds here?
    I'm sorry but I disagree. The others are evidently posters. This looks like a still from the film with some titles slapped in front of it.
    Agreed @FrankXavier. I notice how @GertGettler doesn’t show previous Bond teasers, but bland teasers from other movies. Does Gert seriously think that this teaser is as creative as GE, TND, DAD, CR, QoS teaser posters?
  • Like, even the SP one, despite the simplicity looks like Daniel Craig posing for a poster.

But, I'm also not holding it too much against EON because posters in general suck nowadays. So it's eh.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Like, even the SP one, despite the simplicity looks like Daniel Craig posing for a poster.

The Spectre one was great because it's such a badass image. Total Bond. As I remember that was pretty well-received by fans, wasn't it?
  • RC7RC7
    mtm wrote: »
    Like, even the SP one, despite the simplicity looks like Daniel Craig posing for a poster.

The Spectre one was great because it's such a badass image. Total Bond. As I remember that was pretty well-received by fans, wasn't it?

The Spectre one is poor in my opinion. Exceptionally bland, way too posed, and the airbrushing gives a bizarre thunderbirds type sheen to his face. I actually like the fact he looks his age on this new one - there’s far more character in his face.

Is it the most creative endeavour? Hell, no. But as a piece of marketing I think it works. I recall when I began to see the SP teaser around Cinema foyers and it really didn’t stand out. This new one definitely will. That font is eye catching at scale and the simple but striking colours really work.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    RC7 wrote: »

The Spectre one is poor in my opinion. Exceptionally bland, way too posed, and the airbrushing gives a bizarre thunderbirds type sheen to his face. I actually like the fact he looks his age on this new one - there’s far more character in his face.

I think if you're not keen on poses you're not going to enjoy most Bond posters! :)

I don't see what's bland about it either.
    Is it the most creative endeavour? Hell, no. But as a piece of marketing I think it works. I recall when I began to see the SP teaser around Cinema foyers and it really didn’t stand out. This new one definitely will. That font is eye catching at scale and the simple but striking colours really work.

The typography is stunning and the only thing that saves this, but we know that was in place before this poster.
    Gotta say, I agree with you @mtm. Specially about the posing thing. It's a Bond trademark after all. Not that they had to do it. But someone who dislikes posing (like many have mentioned about Aidan Turner, for example) clearly doesn't like more than half of the Bond iconography.
    I think we guys see too much in teaser posters. It's a 't.e.a.s.e.r.'. My above examples show we really ought to cool down a bit. Are we on steroïds here?

A teaser poster can still be designed creatively decent though, as opposed to a 6 year old learning how to use Microsoft Paint for the very first time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    Gotta say, I agree with you @mtm. Specially about the posing thing. It's a Bond trademark after all. Not that they had to do it. But someone who dislikes posing (like many have mentioned about Aidan Turner, for example) clearly doesn't like more than half of the Bond iconography.

Yeah I don't necessarily mind the idea of a bit of reportage-style photography, it's just that this isn't really a great one. That fan one which uses a press shot of him crossing the road in London in his sunglasses, whilst not being perfect, is a more stylish shot. He looks cooler. This is... a bit of a snap. Lobby card.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    edited October 2019 Posts: 431

+1. Fully agree @RC7. It's also telling. 5 years ago forummembers in here, probably around 70%, disliked the SP teaser poster, because Craig looked like a photoshopped android. Now around 70% of forummembers in here dislike the NTTD teaser poster, because the photography of Craig looks too simple and boring (=more realistic?). So people have always something to complain.

I welcome people to look at the GE teaser poster. In a way that's very comparable to the NTTD teaser poster: it's just a realistic picture of Bond, some colors (mostly black) and that's it. Accept it and move on. Teasers are teasers, and we are so impatient that basically want the teaser to be the full spoiled international theatrical poster. Stop it. C5MWpXn.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    Univex wrote: »

I just find the pose in that SP teaser overly static and unnatural. I also always get the impression he’s bending his knees (which are obviously cut off) when I see it, perhaps if you could see his whole figure it might work better, but there’s still something off about it to me. Most tend to be quite naturally casual, or action oriented, this seems a little too robotic.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,343
    The SP teaser poster is so poor they even used it as the cover of the 4K BD edition of the Craig era...

IMO is miles better that the NTTD one. At least Craig looks dangerous and there's a bloody gun in it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,861
    I think it's a great shot, and I love that it's simply about a sort of celebration of Bond. Quite in-your-face 'this is the star of this movie confronting you' and nothing else- I like that. I think it's probably the best of the bunch: CR's should be good but it's a little over-processed for my tastes- I wish it had been more photographic, like a lovely shot from a fashion magazine.
    I'd be happy if the poster was a beautiful bit of photography, but we never seem to get that.

In terms of Craig posters I think this is more stylish than anything we get for Bond!
    article-1393554-0C5FC77B00000578-966_468x716.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    matt_u wrote: »
    The SP teaser poster is so poor they even used it as the cover of the 4K BD edition of the Craig era...

IMO is miles better that the NTTD one. At least Craig looks dangerous and there's a bloody gun in it.

Yes it seems someone forced him to pose like that. I do enjoy action poses but with natural and subtle style .

A teaser poster can still be designed creatively decent though, as opposed to a 6 year old learning how to use Microsoft Paint for the very first time.

Exaggerating much?

+1. Fully agree @RC7. It's also telling. 5 years ago forummembers in here, probably around 70%, disliked the SP teaser poster, because Craig looked like a photoshopped android. Now around 70% of forummembers in here dislike the NTTD teaser poster, because the photography of Craig looks too simple and boring (=more realistic?). So people have always something to complain.

You bring up two good examples of the complete opposite end of the scale here, @GertGettler. With the SP one there's an argument they've overdone it with the image editing; Craig does look a tad too airbrushed for my liking, and that bright blue in his eyes seem to pop a bit too much. I also agree with @RC7 that his pose seems a little bit unnatural. It would have been interesting to see the photoshoot for this poster; I wonder if there were photos where Craig looked a bit more…relaxed. In comparison, the poster where you see Craig in the white dinner jacket looks better, and much more natural.

The teaser poster we got this weekend is very much a still/reportage like photo, which in itself is cool (I like these type of photos), but I wouldn't mind seeing a Craig with a more determined (?) look on his face. My biggest complaint about this photo though, is that Craig himself looks a bit flat and grey. If they could just up the contrasts a little bit more while keeping everything looking natural, I think it would have made quite a difference.

There's definitely positives with the teaser poster though; the bold display of the title stands out, and that blue background is definitely important.
  • @GertGettler I don’t think it’s the simplicity of the concept that people are taking issue with, it’s the “cheapness” of it. When I first saw the poster, I was immediately reminded of fan art, not because the poster was overly simple or boring (in fact the SP teaser is one of my favourites), but because it very clearly looks like an on-set photo with the logo (which is far too large) slapped on top. All the other posters had a polished quality and professional level of detail to them and images of Bond made for the specific purpose of the teaser. For a film of this scale, there’s an expectation of a certain level of care and attention paid to them, and this looks a lot like a fan found a cool “Bond on Set” photo and made a fan art of it.

I’m not sure why Greg Williams made the poster this time around instead of Empire Design, but I hope the following posters go back to a house that specializes in posters. EON isn’t going to “nail it” every single time, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with not being happy with the product if it appears to be below the usual standard.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think the logo is too large: it's a brilliant, impactful logo- it should be large.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Had a go at doing a quick 10 min edit of the teaser poster, adding a bit more "pop" to the colours and contrast, as well as a little bit of brightening of Craig's eyes. Very fast, very crude, but closer to what I would have liked to have seen from the teaser poster.

x1EAiga.jpg
    Original on the left, edit on the right.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Nice, now if you could only change the expression on his face. 😉
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,861
    Had a go at doing a quick 10 min edit of the teaser poster, adding a bit more "pop" to the colours and contrast, as well as a little bit of brightening of Craig's eyes. Very fast, very crude, but closer to what I would have liked to have seen from the teaser poster.

x1EAiga.jpg

Interesting: I like it. I'm not claiming this to be any better but I'd be tempted to actually crush it a bit more to accentuate the nature of the image:

NTTD2psd-copy-copy.jpg

talos7 wrote: »
    Nice, now if you could only change the expression on his face. 😉

I'd would have to replace the current photo (or at least his head) with another image to do that, I think!

x1EAiga.jpg

Interesting: I like it. I'm not claiming this to be any better but I'd be tempted to actually crush it a bit more to accentuate the nature of the image:

NTTD2psd-copy-copy.jpg

Something like this could also have worked, for sure! I like that you see more of his left arm in the poster though, to show that he's on the move. I wonder how many drafts they did for the poster, and if any of them were in any way different to the one they went with. I also wonder how this one will tie in with the official posters we've yet to see.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wonder how many drafts they did for the poster, and if any of them were in any way different to the one they went with.

Oh dozens I'm sure! Everything we think of they'll have already tried out and rejected! :)
    I wonder how many drafts they did for the poster, and if any of them were in any way different to the one they went with.

Oh dozens I'm sure! Everything we think of they'll have already tried out and rejected! :)

No doubt about that! It would've been really interesting to see those drafts. Unfortunately we're unlikely to get that chance!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    The above edited version reminds me of the front covers of the late 1990s VHS collection.
    Ah, happy memories of two videos being released every couple of weeks as I rushed to Woolies to buy them.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    edited October 2019 Posts: 431
    @GertGettler I don’t think it’s the simplicity of the concept that people are taking issue with, it’s the “cheapness” of it. When I first saw the poster, I was immediately reminded of fan art, not because the poster was overly simple or boring (in fact the SP teaser is one of my favourites), but because it very clearly looks like an on-set photo with the logo (which is far too large) slapped on top. All the other posters had a polished quality and professional level of detail to them and images of Bond made for the specific purpose of the teaser. For a film of this scale, there’s an expectation of a certain level of care and attention paid to them, and this looks a lot like a fan found a cool “Bond on Set” photo and made a fan art of it.

I’m not sure why Greg Williams made the poster this time around instead of Empire Design, but I hope the following posters go back to a house that specializes in posters. EON isn’t going to “nail it” every single time, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with not being happy with the product if it appears to be below the usual standard.

Teaser posters are cheap and simplistic.

In a way the NTTD teaser poster reminds me of this one:
    james_bond_teaser_posters_goldeneye1.jpg

Also simplistic, perhaps even rather 'cheap'. The big difference however was: Back in 1995 Bond fans were, even after a 6 year hiatus, way more patient. They accepted what they were given and were looking forward for what was being brought on offer to us. Nowadays however society is invested with social media, Ttwitter and all its negative side effects, including the fact we don't accept things more easily as back in 1995. 'We' have become nagging, little dictators in disguise when it comes to what we want from movies.

Maybe I exaggerate a bit. But that's how I feel. Accept the NTTD-teaser, or at least try to 'learn' to like it (which I did with classical music for example). And then move on. The end.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Accept the NTTD-teaser, or at least try to 'learn' to like it (which I did with classical music for example). And then move on. The end.

Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. We'll do that, sir.

:-bd
    Going back, there's a history of simple (but sometimes very effective) poster designs for the Bond films. The GE one posted by @GertGettler above, the Craig era ones of course, but also other ones. Examples in the spoiler tag:
    james_bond_teaser_posters_the_spy_who_loved_me1.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_poster_octopussy_1.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_posters_octopussy_2.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_posters_the_living_daylights_2_and_3_us_and_uk.png
    james_bond_teaser_posters_licence_to_kill.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_posters_tomorrow_never_dies.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_posters_the_world_is_not_enough.jpg
    IMG_97531-482x357.jpg

I also came across this poster, which I believe was just an unused concept. Look at the font! :-D

james_bond_teaser_posters_on_her_majestys_secret_service_bond_and_bride_concept.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Going back, there's a history of simple (but sometimes very effective) poster designs for the Bond films. The GE one posted by @GertGettler above, the Craig era ones of course, but also other ones. Examples in the spoiler tag:
    IMG_97531-482x357.jpg

I also came across this poster, which I believe was just an unused concept. Look at the font! :-D

james_bond_teaser_posters_on_her_majestys_secret_service_bond_and_bride_concept.jpg

Nice find, @Torgeirtrap

That unused OHMSS one is very cool.

They're all vastly superior to the new one though, to my eyes.
    IMG_97531-482x357.jpg

Nice find, @Torgeirtrap

That unused OHMSS one is very cool.

They're all vastly superior to the new one though, to my eyes.

Oh, I definitely agree. A different image (possibly with Craig holding the PPK) would have made people more forgiving I guess. There's also a sense of danger with those other posters, which the NTTD one unfortunately doesn't display.
  • Shocking. Someone got paid to do this? That was slapped together in 5 mns. Its unbelievable that professional designers can't create something more interesting. Its probably the worst teaser poster i have ever seen for a Bond film. An absolute disgrace and quite simply lazy.