If EON do sell the franchise then who should take over?

Comments

• GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    edited October 2019 Posts: 431
    Denbigh wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    And I suppose this has EVERYTHING to do with NTTD filming, which is what this thread's is about, the filming of the newest instalment brought to you by EON productions. Well done guys, way to derail, alienate and infuse this with negativity once more.
    I fail to see any derailment or negativity in the last two pages.
    Who's talking about the last two pages? I'm talking about the so called news that EON is looking to sell after NTTD. What's that got to do with the current filming of the current film by the current producing company?? Which is what this thread is all about?
    I suppose it doesn't really, but I still don't get the negativity part. The conversation's been civil thus far.
    I think @Univex is just concerned about the direction this topic of discussion could take, as it has before become quite a heated debate.

Correct. It has, without fail, repeatedly descended into conflict whenever it has been brought about.

I don't buy it, regardless. Even if Eon are interested in pursuing non-Bond ventures these days, Bond is almost 100% assured capital for them to use to help get those projects made. Selling would be counter-intuitive to their goals in the long term.

I think @CraigMooreOHMSS the Bond producers, looking at all their other non-Bond ventures like chairs at the Tate Modern, the BFI and the Film & Television Charity, wouldn't really mind. They are billionaires by now. Not millionaires, but billionaires. One Bond-film less, or even saying goodbye to the franchise, would probably emotional for Barbara & Michael. But not inconceivable. And frankly, I don't really think Gregg Wilson will be the big man when Michael retires. He seems too artyfarty to me. Yes, he's doing good stuff as associate producer. But taking over the entire reign is a whole different ball game.

It also depends on other external factors. If for instance MGM will be sold or bought by a huge tech Enterprise like Apple or Amazon, I wouldn't be surprised if then EON says "aah well, we are not into such a powerful owner of the Bond-franchise...they will force us to do more stuff etc". On several occasions EON was adament in cornering MGM CEO Gary Barber when he wanted to sell MGM. A proof that EON simply wants to maintain the current status quo...for now...so that Barbara and Michael themselves can be in the front seat if something drastical happens to the Bond franchise.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    And I suppose this has EVERYTHING to do with NTTD filming, which is what this thread's is about, the filming of the newest instalment brought to you by EON productions. Well done guys, way to derail, alienate and infuse this with negativity once more.
    Who's talking about the last two pages? I'm talking about the so called news that EON is looking to sell after NTTD. What's that got to do with the current filming of the current film by the current producing company?? Which is what this thread is all about?
    I suppose it doesn't really, but I still don't get the negativity part. The conversation's been civil thus far.
    I think @Univex is just concerned about the direction this topic of discussion could take, as it has before become quite a heated debate.

Correct. It has, without fail, repeatedly descended into conflict whenever it has been brought about.

I don't buy it, regardless. Even if Eon are interested in pursuing non-Bond ventures these days, Bond is almost 100% assured capital for them to use to help get those projects made. Selling would be counter-intuitive to their goals in the long term.

I think the Bond producers, looking at all their other non-Bond ventures like chairs at the Tate Modern, the BFI and the Film & Television Charity, wouldn't really mind. They are billionaires by now. Not millionaires, but billionaires.

While these are proof of reputation and stature, they are not assets that provide capital which can be used to fund multi-million dollar films.

Ask any rich person. You don't stay wealthy by spending your own money without any guarantee of replenishment. It's simply not a good way of going about these things.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Could it be MGM getting the heave ho instead, with EON staying firmly in place?
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona

I think the Bond producers, looking at all their other non-Bond ventures like chairs at the Tate Modern, the BFI and the Film & Television Charity, wouldn't really mind. They are billionaires by now. Not millionaires, but billionaires.

While these are proof of reputation and stature, they are not assets that provide capital which can be used to fund multi-million dollar films.

Ask any rich person. You don't stay wealthy by spending your own money without any guarantee of replenishment. It's simply not a good way of going about these things.

No off course not. But producing a Bond film basically meens, only with regard to principal photography, 7,5 months, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, working your butts off. I can fully understand that Barbara and Michael would like that to stop and have a more laissez-faire approach with their non-Bond ventures. On top of that, they have personal lifes too. So any option that could stop all this Bond-stress for the producers is to….come up with a solutions that puts their stress away.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Elsewhere I just linked an article from 1992 that reports Cubby Broccoli decided to sell Danjaq and with it the rights to film the Fleming Bond novels. I hope it works out somehow.

the-independent-logo.png
    FILM / James Bond, for screen and
    action king Joel Silver about Bond's
    prospects
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/film-james-bond-for-screen-and-country-sheila-johnston-talks-to-current-action-king-joel-silver-1555168.html
    SHEILA JOHNSTON | Saturday 3 October 1992 00:02

Thirty years after James Bond's screen debut, his reputation has been severely shaken, not stirred. He hasn't been activated for three years, has suffered a serious identity crisis, and is being challenged at the box-office by an American arriviste by the name of Ryan, Jack Ryan.

THE celebrations surrounding Dr No's 30th birthday (the film opened on 5 October 1962) have been clouded by one regrettable absence: Bond himself. The latest 007-movie, which ought to have appeared in the summer of 1991 with its usual biennial regularity, failed to show, and any future productions have vanished in a snowstorm of litigation. Cubby Broccoli, the movies' 83-year-old producer, is suing MGM-Pathe, the distributors, and has announced his decision to sell Danjaq, the company that owns the rights to the Fleming novels.
    [MORE}
    Is NTTD the last Eon-Bond film? Eon looking to sell.

This is more of a Bond 26 rumour:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ColliderVideo/status/1179500135576825856

This syncs up with the rumours we have heard in the past. It looks as though this rumour is re-emerging. So perhaps some weight to it........could @PanchitoPistoles get his wish.........
    Jeff Sneider is very trustworthy. At this point nobody can credibly deny that EON are thinking about selling the franchise after NTTD. It might not happen, but they are 100% considering it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Is NTTD the last Eon-Bond film? Eon looking to sell.

This is more of a Bond 26 rumour:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ColliderVideo/status/1179500135576825856

This syncs up with the rumours we have heard in the past. It looks as though this rumour is re-emerging. So perhaps some weight to it........could @PanchitoPistoles get his wish.........
    Jeff Sneider is very trustworthy. At this point nobody can credibly deny that EON are thinking about selling the franchise after NTTD. It might not happen, but they are 100% considering it.
    Wishful thinking gets you nowhere @PanchitoPistoles
    It ties in perhaps with the copyright situation.

Copyright in Ian Fleming’s novels and characters expires in only fifteen years’ time. After that date any film company can make any James Bond film they want. Eon, or whoever owns the rights, will lose exclusivity. So, what this means economically is that ownership of the Bond rights is probably a declining asset. The more time that ticks by to 2034 the less value ownership of the rights has, until by 2034 it declines to zero.

Fifteen years is not long. At the current rate there might only be four or five more films before the rights disappear. Perhaps only one more official Bond actor, even, before the character enters public domain and then everyone and his cat can have a go.

Eon might be pondering this and mulling over whether to sell the rights to the character while there’s still a bit of worth to them. After 2034 they will have no rights to sell.
    It ties in perhaps with the copyright situation.

Copyright in Ian Fleming’s novels and characters expires in only fifteen years’ time. After that date any film company can make any James Bond film they want. Eon, or whoever owns the rights, will lose exclusivity. So, what this means economically is that ownership of the Bond rights is probably a declining asset. The more time that ticks by to 2034 the less value ownership of the rights has, until by 2034 it declines to zero.

Fifteen years is not long. At the current rate there might only be four or five more films before the rights disappear. Perhaps only one more official Bond actor, even, before the character enters public domain and then everyone and his cat can have a go.

Eon might be pondering this and mulling over whether to sell the rights to the character while there’s still a bit of worth to them. After 2034 they will have no rights to sell.

In 15 years time I will be 60, 5 years away from retirement as far as I am concerned! So I bet I will be moaning like a good one about something or other?!!! :))
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Pure speculation from someone who knows nothing about how the industry works but if not selling it, I could see BB and MGW handing over the reigns to the kids after No Time to Die. MGW I think must be close to retiring by now. And as for Barbara, she seems to want to do more none Bond stuff, and I just can't imagine her casting another Bond. Craig is really her Bond imo, more than Brosnan ever was. She likes and respects him so much that he's gotten more creative control than any other Bond actor. I'm just having a hard time picturing her thinking right he's gone, time for a new one again, especially not after all this time.

Although to be fair, Cubby and Moore were really close too, but then casting a new Bond and changing course with TLD apparently really reenergised him and made him a lot more enthusiastic about things again. So you never know. The same could happen with the current producers. I don't think it'll be as different an actor as Dalton was to Moore though. I think the next Bond will be a similar sort to Craig. The Craig era feels like the sort of Bond films BB has always wanted to make, it took them a while to find that direction but you can see traces of it as far back as Brosnan's run.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ugh... Have to speak out:

Crucify me; disagree with me, but, the last I heard : Barbara is and will be THE very active producer in the foreseeable future with her nephew Gregg Wilson.

Like both his father (who will be taking a step back with 26), and Barbara, Gregg has and continues to work his way up the ladder.

They have been grooming him to take over with Barbara.

He is "artsy", and a musician to boot, but not flakey. This boy has the intelligence and chops-- as he's been groomed to have.

He's played an incredibly important role as producer on the last few films (and was in charge and led the many units, including location). And those in the "know", know that that he was primarily in charge of TRS with Broccoli (this was his coming out party).

Let's put to bed he's "not up for the job" nonsense... he's been doing what his father, but especially his aunt, has been doing since at least 2002.... Learning the ropes of the family business.

As far as I have been told, the idea of selling Albert's legacy has NEVER been in the cards (and that's why Gregg will be working on future Bond films with BB).

To Be Continued...

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    @peter
    giphy.gif
    I've missed you man :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    love u 2 @Denbigh ... love u 2...

peter wrote: »

Crucify me; disagree with me, but, the last I heard : Barbara is and will be THE very active producer in the foreseeable future with her nephew Gregg Wilson.

Like both his father (who will be taking a step back with 26), and Barbara, Gregg has and continues to work his way up the ladder.

He is "artsy", and a musician to boot, but not flakey. This boy has the intelligence and chops-- as he's been groomed to have.

He's played an incredibly important role as producer on the last few films (and was in charge and led the many units, including location). And those in the "know", know that that he was primarily in charge of TRS with Broccoli (this was his coming out party).

Let's put to bed he's "not up for the job" nonsense... he's been doing what his father, but especially his aunt, has been doing since at least 2002.... Learning the ropes of the family business.

As far as I have been told, the idea of selling Albert's legacy has NEVER been in the cards (and that's why Gregg will be working on future Bond films with BB).

To Be Continued...

Glad to hear this. I personally never want to see another Bond film produced by someone other than the Broccoli's.

I can always watch the ' 67 CR or NSNA anytime I'm in the mood for an unofficial Bond.

I've gotten long tired of the rumors of Eon selling Bond.
    Always great to have you here, @peter ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Makes sense to me.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

To Be Continued...

Amen to that my good friend and collaborator.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Producing new Bond films is one thing when the copyright of the Fleming novels will enter public domain. Amazon, Apple or any big streaming giant can then produce a series based on the original novels without paying any royalties for using the characters, stories and so on. At this point these studios can become a huge and mighty competitor for MGM/EoN for new Bond content.

But keeping the legacy and selling updated copies / streaming rights of the films and this huge EoN back catalog is something different. Imho it does not make much sense to sell this at all.

Dunno if EoN has to produce a number of films in x years or they lose the exclusive filming rights but once the novels are public domain all that is basically „worthless“ (not talking about the continuation novels of course) - or?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Producing new Bond films is one thing when the copyright of the Fleming novels will enter public domain. Amazon, Apple or any big streaming giant can then produce a series based on the original novels without paying any royalties for using the characters, stories and so on. At this point these studios can become a huge and mighty competitor for MGM/EoN for new Bond content.

But keeping the legacy and selling updated copies / streaming rights of the films and this huge EoN back catalog is something different. Imho it does not make much sense to sell this at all.

Dunno if EoN has to produce a number of films in x years or they lose the exclusive filming rights but once the novels are public domain all that is basically „worthless“ (not talking about the continuation novels of course) - or?

Yeah that will be the trick. Studios can freely adapt the novels, but like with Kevin McClory they will not have access to all of the Bond iconography that EON has full ownership of that people strongly associate with Bond.

That's why I hope when some streaming service decides to do Bond, they just have a crack at straight up adaptations set in the 1950s as a way of differentiating themselves from EON Bond. This would be their chance to take a whole different approach to Bond that EON won't go, and hopefully something they not only pull off but enrich the legacy of Ian Fleming's work. I'm very open to seeing that day happen.
    SeanCraig wrote: »

Yeah that will be the trick. Studios can freely adapt the novels, but like with Kevin McClory they will not have access to all of the Bond iconography that EON has full ownership of that people strongly associate with Bond.

That's why I hope when some streaming service decides to do Bond, they just have a crack at straight up adaptations set in the 1950s as a way of differentiating themselves from EON Bond. This would be their chance to take a whole different approach to Bond that EON won't go, and hopefully something they not only pull off but enrich the legacy of Ian Fleming's work. I'm very open to seeing that day happen.

Straight adaptations would actually be something I'd welcome, for sure. They'd be a nice companion to the "official" series rather than a competitor to it.
    Yes i’d be happy to see some 1950s adaptations of the classic novels too.

After 2034 Eon still have the exclusive rights to the continuation novels, they still have McClory’s stuff like Blofeld, and they still have trademarks like the GB. So they will still feel ‘official.’

Incidentally Kingsley Amis did not die until 1995, so Eon have exclusive rights until 2065 to make Colonel Sun. Whether or not films as a medium will still exist in 2065 is another question of course...
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,619

To Be Continued...
    People in the know disagree... You are madly in love with Barbara, so it's simply wishful thinking on your part that they would never consider selling the franchise.

Dread it, run from it, destiny still arrives.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,551

To Be Continued...
    People in the know disagree... You are madly in love with Barbara, so it's simply wishful thinking on your part that they would never consider selling the franchise.

Don't you think that works both ways, PP? That it is simply wishful thinking on your part that they will sell the franchise and let Barbara go?
  • RC7RC7

To Be Continued...

Yoda-Retina_2a7ecc26.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1536%2C864&width=960

The naivety is strong with this one.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Don't you think that works both ways, PP? That's is simply wishful thinking on your part that they will sell the franchise and let Barbara go?
    No, because we have heard from not one, not two, but at least three different trustworthy sources so far that EON is considering selling the franchise after NTTD.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hey @PanchitoPistoles, i suppose anything can happen, but if the selling of her father’s legacy ever came about, I will be shocked. This is not about me loving Barbara Broccoli (although I admit I have a very strong crush on her; classy, intelligent, powerful, philanthropist...), but what I was told by a friend of Gregg’s and what presently is taking place. Gregg is taking on more and more because he is to replace Michael for 26. Selling EoN is not in the cards. This person has been nothing but reliable.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    9vYtzcJh.png?1
    @Murdock Oh no! People talking about EON maybe selling the franchise in the "If EON do sell the franchise then who should take over?" thread. Outrageous!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It’s a good “what if”, but that’s all it as at this point. It doesn’t hold any ground.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Warner Bros., with Nolan as producer/co-writer/director of a trilogy. Jack Lowden as Bond. Job done. :')