Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Turner would be a good fit as The Saint.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 6,677

Hiddleston would be a brilliant Simon Templar. Driving a white Polestar 1.

video-the-art-of-vil.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F10%2Fpolestar1_featured.jpg%3Fquality%3D85?w=1440&auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.4.1&s=ede31bc77ee27a9e7f1a7299fd2ea881
    Univex wrote: »

Hiddleston would be a brilliant Simon Templar. Driving a white Polestar 1.

Yes, him too.
    Getafix wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Doesn't look like Bond to me. Not in the slightest. Can't understand what some people think Bond is. But I have a theory, I think some fans look like someone and the champion that someone for that same reason. And that just isn't right.

I like that theory.

By that rationale I should nominate actor KIRK DOUGLAS to play Bond, because I've been told I resemble him. He's 103 this year and American. However, it seems just about anyone can be named as a possible Bond, (regardless of their lack of suitability for the role) ............and be taken seriously.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

Some people are that self centred. I remember a completely bald, strange-looking fan once stating he looked more like Bond than Craig. And then there are the guys who think Hardy should be Bond, or O'Connell, or Elba, or... It just gets to a point when nothing's worth debating. Stupidity takes hold and there's nothing one can do abou it.

Oh well, again, here's Bond 7:

gettyimages-505858456.jpg

And the fact that I look like him has nothing to do with it ;)

(Kidding)

Turner looks more like a villain. Don't think he has the right look for the times. They're gonna go for someone who can reach that millenial market.

God I hope not. The so called "millennial market" is a true snowflake, namby-pamby, wussy inhabited world. The "millennial market" and Bond should not mix, not one bit.

And Turner looks like a villain? Aren't you a Dalton fan, @Getafix? Cause I am, and Turner is sort of a sucessor in the looks department and intensity, I think. My opinion, of course.

When I think of catering to the Millennial market, I picture l being open to someone like Johnny Galecki, Robert Downey Jr or Simon Pegg as the new Bond. And actually being serious about it.
    Doesn't work for me.
    Honestly Craig is about as far away from Fleming's creation I want to see, and I actually think he's reasonably close regardless.
    All six actors, IMO have brought Fleming's Bond to life in their own way, and still represented the man on the page. Deviate too far and it's simply not Bond. Might as well rename the character and initiate another franchise.
    Doesn't look like Bond to me. Not in the slightest. Can't understand what some people think Bond is. But I have a theory, I think some fans look like someone and the champion that someone for that same reason. And that just isn't right.

I like that theory.

By that rationale I should nominate actor KIRK DOUGLAS to play Bond, because I've been told I resemble him. He's 103 this year and American. However, it seems just about anyone can be named as a possible Bond, (regardless of their lack of suitability for the role) ............and be taken seriously.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

Some people are that self centred. I remember a completely bald, strange-looking fan once stating he looked more like Bond than Craig. And then there are the guys who think Hardy should be Bond, or O'Connell, or Elba, or... It just gets to a point when nothing's worth debating. Stupidity takes hold and there's nothing one can do abou it.

(Kidding)

Turner looks more like a villain. Don't think he has the right look for the times. They're gonna go for someone who can reach that millenial market.

God I hope not. The so called "millennial market" is a true snowflake, namby-pamby, wussy inhabited world. The "millennial market" and Bond should not mix, not one bit.

And Turner looks like a villain? Aren't you a Dalton fan, @Getafix? Cause I am, and Turner is sort of a sucessor in the looks department and intensity, I think. My opinion, of course.

When I think of catering to the Millennial market, I picture l being open to someone like Johnny Galecki, Robert Downey Jr or Simon Pegg as the new Bond. And actually being serious about it.
    Doesn't work for me.
    Honestly Craig is about as far away from Fleming's creation I want to see, and I actually think he's reasonably close regardless.
    All six actors, IMO have brought Fleming's Bond to life in their own way, and still represented the man on the page. Deviate too far and it's simply not Bond. Might as well rename the character and initiate another franchise.

+1(000)
    Absolutely!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Genuine question to forum members across the pond. What was the reception in the states to Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent being played by Brits? Did it cause any ripples at all?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    No ripples. More recently add Peter Parker.

In the case of Superman I want to point out the character is from another world, so casting a non-American is in that spirit.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Dan Stevens would be good. Loved him in The Guest.

Anyone watch Peaky Blinders? Cillian Murphy is a suggestion that I've been slowly coming round to for a while. Never thought he had the look for it but a lot of women, my wife included, do seem to find him really attractive to be fair. And he's just cool as f**k in that show. Stylish and charismatic and dangerous and enigmatic, a real presence. Seriously, there are some scenes in Peaky Blinders where he achieves Connery levels of magnetism. Great actor too. He wouldn't just be good at the surface level stuff, he'd bring layers to it like Craig has.

Or maybe some of us suggest certain actors because, unlike the people who just come on this thread, put the various names into google images and retort with sarcastic demeaning replies (to a chorus of passive aggressively emoji filled +1 posts which for some reason don't count as spam) while contributing no suggestions themselves, we've actually seen them act in stuff and think they'd be a good fit? Not saying this applies to everyone, there are exceptions, but as I've said before, the level of discussion in this thread (and some others) does generally tend to be pretty dire imo.

Just a thought there, from someone who looks nothing like Jack O Connell (I'm black for a start) but still thinks he'd make a great James Bond.

Anyone watch Peaky Blinders? Cillian Murphy is a suggestion that I've been slowly coming round to for a while. Never thought he had the look for it but a lot of women, my wife included, do seem to find him really attractive to be fair. And he's just cool as f**k in that show. Stylish and charismatic and dangerous and enigmatic, a real presence. Seriously, there are some scenes in Peaky Blinders where he achieves Connery levels of magnetism. Great actor too. He wouldn't just be good at the surface level stuff, he'd bring layers to it like Craig has.

Or maybe some of us suggest certain actors because, unlike the people who just come on this thread, put the various names into google images and retort with sarcastic demeaning replies (to a chorus of passive aggressively emoji filled +1 posts which for some reason don't count as spam) while contributing no suggestions themselves, we've actually seen them act in stuff and think they'd be a good fit? Not saying this applies to everyone, there are exceptions, but as I've said before, the level of discussion in this thread (and some others) does generally tend to be pretty dire imo.

Just a thought there, from someone who looks nothing like Jack O Connell (I'm black for a start) but still thinks he'd make a great James Bond.

Hope you're not referring to me, old boy, as I have seen most films from most actors mentioned on this thread. I agree that the level of discussion in this and other threads tends to be pretty dire, as you say, but it's in the very nature of fan based forums and social group dynamics to rally up for some opinion and to hiss for another. Have you ever been to Parliament? ;)

And about my "theory", I wasn't being adamant on it being the only vehicle of choice for all fans, I was just presenting a diferencial diagnosis for the weird choices that abound on this particular thread. I then posted a google image of Turner and proceeded to be ironic, saying I looked like him. All in the name of good sports and fun.

Aren't you a Dalton fan? @thelivingroyale, so we both want Dalton as the next Bond ;) You do have written on your profile that he should've been in Bond24, don't you? See, we all do and say silly things. No harm done.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Quite frankly, we have an amazing James Bond delivering his (almost, absolutely) last film to us. I hear he’s having the time of his life shooting it (although those close with filming have given me nothing— the company’s status quo) .

I seriously can’t consider anyone as Bond at the moment. I want to enjoy this production until the very end. I will endure the crisis of my post-Craig hangover, then I will take seriously all newcomers.

But right now, all seem to be pretenders to Craig’s replacement (although I can see Madden and Stevens being serious contenders... I could back these two... down the road)
    peter wrote: »
    Quite frankly, we have an amazing James Bond delivering his (almost, absolutely) last film to us. I hear he’s having the time of his life shooting it (although those close with filming have given me nothing— the company’s status quo) .

I seriously can’t consider anyone as Bond at the moment. I want to enjoy this production until the very end. I will endure the crisis of my post-Craig hangover, then I will take seriously all newcomers.

But right now, all seem to be pretenders to Craig’s replacement (although I can see Madden and Stevens being serious contenders... I could back these two... down the road)

I understand this "down the road" sentiment, @peter. All and all, I would like Craig to do another, and another, up unto his 60s. Really, I wouldn't mind one bit.
  • Univex wrote: »

Hope you're not referring to me, old boy, as I have seen most films from most actors mentioned on this thread. I agree that the level of discussion in this and other threads tends to be pretty dire, as you say, but it's in the very nature of fan based forums and social group dynamics to rally up for some opinion and to hiss for another. Have you ever been to Parliament? ;)

And about my "theory", I wasn't being adamant on it being the only vehicle of choice for all fans, I was just presenting a diferencial diagnosis for the weird choices that abound on this particular thread. I then posted a google image of Turner and proceeded to be ironic, saying I looked like him. All in the name of good sports and fun.

Aren't you a Dalton fan? @thelivingroyale, so we both want Dalton as the next Bond ;) You do have written on your profile that he should've been in Bond24, don't you? See, we all do and say silly things. No harm done.

Wasn't on about you mate, don't worry. And y'know what, I wrote that ages ago as a piss take but with older action heroes being a bit of a trend, why not give Dalton his third film. A one off Unforgiven sort of film about an older Bond while we're in between two eras. Sounds great to me.

Wasn't on about you mate, don't worry. And y'know what, I wrote that ages ago as a piss take but with older action heroes being a bit of a trend, why not give Dalton his third film. A one off Unforgiven sort of film about an older Bond while we're in between two eras. Sounds great to me.

Glad to hear it wasn't about me. Felt strange to tell you the truth, as we've known each other for ages.

About Dalton, I'd love it. Beard and all. Guy's a tremendous actor and a helluva presence. Can't, for the life of me, understand why he doesn't do more films and great roles.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I understand this "down the road" sentiment, @peter. All and all, I would like Craig to do another, and another, up unto his 60s. Really, I wouldn't mind one bit.

You and me both!... Reality will dictate where we go from here. Thanks, Univex-- seems you and I are on the same page, lol! (grab a box of kleenex/tissues for this last craig film-- I will be!)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,554

You and me both!... Reality will dictate where we go from here. Thanks, Univex-- seems you and I are on the same page, lol! (grab a box of kleenex/tissues for this last craig film-- I will be!)

I, as well.

That said. I think this guy is in the running, come 2021--he is certainly gaining some traction in social media. His action film debut is coming up: Snake Eyes. That could be his audition for Bond. Time will tell.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    talos7 wrote: »

It's possible. We'll see after Snake Eyes.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Let's call him by his correct name, gents – Alexander Skarsgård ;-)

He'll never be Bond though. As NTTD cast member and fellow Swede) David Dencik said in an interview this weekend, when (as a joke) asked if he was to play Bond when responding to the secrecy about his own role in the film: "With Bond they're very particular about ethnicity. He's a British intelligence operative. Then there's been rumours about it becoming a female and all that*, and that might happen, but as long as they're British. I can't pass for a Brit, I think."

*(said in a very "…and whatever" kind of way)

Bond is an English institution and he'll stay being played by a Brit (or at least Common wealth) actor. This is Bond, not 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'! I've no idea who David Dencik is (forgive me), but he sounds crazy. How can a woman playing a man happen?
    TripAces wrote: »

He'd be great as Colonel Sun. For Bond....nope. Bond isn't Asian, Fleming said so.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,131

I like that theory.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

(Kidding)

+1 Univex. I don't want any millennial market bollocks.

The millenial market Bond will be a man (probably not a white Brit as Fleming described) who does not smoke, does not drink alcoholic beverages, is not a womanizer, does not gamble, does not kill people, never has a tendency to disobey order from superiors, among other vices and morally, ethically questionable behavior. I.E. it will cease to be Bond.

Given that many modern men favour tracksuits, jeans, hoodies and casual wear over classic tailoring that would be gone too.

No thank you.......
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Not Happening. Take that to the bank.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,291
    suavejmf wrote: »

He'll never be Bond though. As NTTD cast member and fellow Swede) David Dencik said in an interview this weekend, when (as a joke) asked if he was to play Bond when responding to the secrecy about his own role in the film: "With Bond they're very particular about ethnicity. He's a British intelligence operative. Then there's been rumours about it becoming a female and all that*, and that might happen, but as long as they're British. I can't pass for a Brit, I think."

Bond is an English institution and he'll stay being played by a Brit (or at least Common wealth) actor. This is Bond, not 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'! I've no idea who David Dencik is (forgive me), but he sounds crazy. How can a woman playing a man happen?

As he said, Bond will always be played by a Brit, and the question itself was asked as a joke.

As for the Bond as a woman part, it was said in a "…and whatever" kind of way. It was obviously a throwaway comment and it didn't look like he had an opinion on the matter.

As he said, Bond will always be played by a Brit, and the question itself was asked as a joke.

As for the Bond as a woman part, it was said in a "…and whatever" kind of way. It was obviously a throwaway comment and it didn't look like he had an opinion on the matter.

Ah right, fair play. My mistake.

Agreed. A Chinese Bond. 0% chance.

Agreed. A Chinese Bond. 0% chance.

My name is Bao. Jai Bao.
    I have suggested this chap before... Callum Turner. 29 years old, 6ft 2. Originally a model but now actor and played in quite varying roles (Fantastic beasts and now as the soldier in the BBC thriller The Capture. Definitely has something about him. https://google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjGm_SfnefkAhXVDmMBHU_ZAOEQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gettyimages.co.uk%2Fdetail%2Fnews-photo%2Fcallum-turner-seen-attending-the-uk-premiere-of-the-news-photo%2F1061487406&psig=AOvVaw3ONZnSxgFr78ZPV2RyFFrx&ust=1569337810390442
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK

Cillian Murphy would make an excellent Bond. He's slightly strange looking, for sure, but he's got gravitas, he's suave and is a superb actor.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

Cillian Murphy would make an excellent Bond. He's slightly strange looking, for sure, but he's got gravitas, he's suave and is a superb actor.

He’s definitely a good actor, but he’s more creepy than cool.

I like that theory.

Lucky you ;)

And, exactly.

(Kidding)

They have to adapt to changing tastes and times. I don't think millennial means snowflake Bond. Turner for me, while handsome, seems better suited to period drama.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Each to their own, I suppose.
    If anybody thinks Jack O'Connell is Bond material, and should be handed the most prestigious male role in moviedom, they have an absolute right to hold that view. I would defend their right to hold that view to the hilt.
    It doesn't mean that they're sensible to hold that view, though, or that it's ever going to happen. Because you might as well put a blindfold on, walk into the nearest Wetherspoons on a Thursday afternoon, randomly tap the first bloke you bump into on the shoulder and anoint him as the new Bond - the chances are that choosing Craig's successor that way will result in someone more Bond-like than O'Connell getting the gig.
    I mean, really? Is this what it's come to, Jack O'Connell? Whatever your opinions may be on his acting chops, he is a rough-looking short-arse (no offence intended). Oh, and there's a world of difference between 'rugged' and 'rough' - the two are not interchangeable; Tim Dalton is rugged, Viggo Mortensen is rugged - neither man is identifiable as 'rough'.

I know how to cast the next Bond actor. Type into Google images the following text:
    Random man

and whoever is the first photo listed - he's the guy. I have tested my profound theory... this is next James Bond!

XXUk6Pe1_400x400.jpg

:D

My internet is broken. I tried the same, and this is the first picture that came up:
    Zoe_Sugg.jpg?w968
    Here is my Bond.
    1d87ec3575.0.jpeg
    Problem is: He has been arrested for the fourth time for randomly attacking a woman.