No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited July 2019 Posts: 5,767
    TR007 wrote: »
    For the last 57 years we’ve always known how these movies, in particular Bond’s relationship with the female lead would pan out.
    While I appreciate that there’s comfort in the familiarity of this and that the formula for these movies has been a key factor in the success of the series, how exciting is it to see a shake up like this?
    I love that EON are trying something new with the Bond woman for this movie. And hey, worst case scenario if it doesn’t work out, they’ll go back to the formula for the next one.
    Not very. First, it´s not a previously unknown Concept, it just hasn´t been applied to a Bond film so far. If I want to have fun with such a constellation, there are enough other films out there I can watch. Second, in a Bond film, it´s a superfluous element that merely distracts from the actual Story and won´t contribute to it. I´d be very happy to be proven wrong on my second Point.

peter wrote: »
    as one of the lead writers (PWB) has already stated: Bond has to stay true to his character.

To me, that was an incredible statement, and I re-read it several times after it was published-- it made me that happy; she "got" the character.
    Did she though? I´m not convinced at all.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I can see it now. Bond and Nomi in Ms office. He says "Have a seat, 007." They reply "Thank you".in unison, then exchange looks, Bond looking a little perplexed.
    Haha, that's exactly how I envisioned it too. Can't wait to see how two 007s interact with each other.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    w2bond wrote: »
    If they go with the 007 branding then they can cast anyone as 007. Including a black actor or a female or....both to be extra PC. Hmm the casting at the moment is interesting...will she be the new 007...for Bond 26???

Isn't it empowering for people of all ethnicities and races to see a strong black female lead? The only thing this disrupts is the status quo.......

Yes, having someone other than James Bond as 007 is an intriguing idea. I wouldn't be against it and wouldn't be surprised if it happened now or in the future. The only issue is establishing the identity of the new 007, without the universally known martinis, Aston Martins and catchphrases. (I suppose MI6 supplies Astons so that could carry on)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 13,936
    Nomi orders her martinis stirred not shaken and is given the cooler gadgets by Q, much to Bond's chagrin.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Nomi has the Artic Monkeys, Aphex Twin, Janelle Monae and Childish Gambino on her playlist, while Bond is stuck with Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith.
    w2bond wrote: »
    If they go with the 007 branding then they can cast anyone as 007. Including a black actor or a female or....both to be extra PC. Hmm the casting at the moment is interesting...will she be the new 007...for Bond 26???

Isn't it empowering for people of all ethnicities and races to see a strong black female lead? The only thing this disrupts is the status quo.......
    A strong black female lead is one Thing. However the number 007 is inevitably associated with certain male characteristics. Giving this number to a female Agent is About as empowering as forcing female Managers to act as if they were males and ignore their female strengths.
    What would be so wrong with letting the strong black female lead have her own character, instead of Pressing her into a man´s role?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    boldfinger wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    For the last 57 years we’ve always known how these movies, in particular Bond’s relationship with the female lead would pan out.
    While I appreciate that there’s comfort in the familiarity of this and that the formula for these movies has been a key factor in the success of the series, how exciting is it to see a shake up like this?
    I love that EON are trying something new with the Bond woman for this movie. And hey, worst case scenario if it doesn’t work out, they’ll go back to the formula for the next one.
    Not very. First, it´s not a previously unknown Concept, it just hasn´t been applied to a Bond film so far. If I want to have fun with such a constellation, there are enough other films out there I can watch. Second, in a Bond film, it´s a superfluous element that merely distracts from the actual Story and won´t contribute to it. I´d be very happy to be proven wrong on my second Point.

peter wrote: »
    as one of the lead writers (PWB) has already stated: Bond has to stay true to his character.

To me, that was an incredible statement, and I re-read it several times after it was published-- it made me that happy; she "got" the character.
    Did she though? I´m not convinced at all.

@boldfinger :

https://deadline.com/2019/05/phoebe-waller-bridge-bond-1202624860/

“There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not [the Bond franchise] is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women,” she said. “I think that’s bollocks. I think he’s absolutely relevant now. It has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to this character.”

You may not be convinced, but these are her words, and, if you've seen her work, she's very committed to her vision (whether in Season One of Killing Eve, or both seasons of Fleabag); her vision for James bond is right there-- the world may've changed around him, but he needs to be true to who he is. Lovely.
    Are people really talking about the franchise moving on with Lynch as 007?!?

It's just a gimmick, folk. Just that. Nothing more. Have you heard Broccoli's recent interviews? And Phobe's for that matter.

Don't worry. It'll all work out rather nicely, I'm sure.

PS: @PanchitoPistoles, I don't know where you're from, but I think you should run for president. That being said, are you sure your middle name doesn't start with a J.? Cause then I would understand your moniker. That would really be ironic. To the max.
    We need a title and trailer to get a better feel for all this. Hope it comes sooner than later.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    We need a title and trailer to get a better feel for all this. Hope it comes sooner than later.

We really do :)
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    And the whining has returned...

Guys, if it were 2006 all over again, how some of us would have reacted to the news and rumors that:
    - the new Bond was blond
    - there wouldn't be any gun barrel scene in the first few seconds
    - there would be black and white
    - Bond makes a lot of mistakes
    etc.?

Many people here want things to change... unless they change in a remotely "threatening" way, and then it's heresy. They don't actually want any change, they want some shuffling of elements that have already been seen a couple of times in the previous films. This ultimately resulted in the franchise being a few times as petrified as Roger's face in AVTAK.

What if the new (temporary) 007 was a black woman? Another question would be what if the new (temporary) 007 wasn't a black woman? We've seen some other 00 agents. All white males. Either they turn into faceless agents that aren't as good as Bond (Thunderball), or some dead meat (Octopussy, The Living Daylights where they even hired Lazenby and Moore lookalikes) that, once again, are meant to highlight Bond by comparison, or we have a negative double of Bond (Alec Trevelyan, possibly Silva).

Having a black woman as a 00 agent in Bond 25, even the one that takes the 007 code number, hints that she won't just be a glorified extra or an opponent to Bond. It helps establishing her as someone distinctive enough. As I've said, reusing the 007 code number for another agent wouldn't be as shocking as some people assume it is. In the narrative, it just means that there was an important amount of time since Bond was in the service. With years, even his achievements have faded (the time he went rogue... or the time he went rogue... or the time he went rogue and had M killed... or the time he went rogue and didn't finish the job), resulting in M reattributing the 007 code number to a new 00 agent. The audience knows that Bond will get the 007 number back at some point (hell, it will even be at the beginning of the titles in a large font, "DANIEL CRAIG as IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007". How's that for reassuring?)
    Ultimately, either she dies, or something happens involving Bond and the number seven, which causes Nomi or M to give him his old code number for sentimental reasons and to close the dispute over the two "007"s.
    Anyway, a scene with M and Tanner set in London so late in the script may be the moment he's given his old code number back.
    Quite surprisingly this is trending on Twitter in London.....so the hype is real.

Though it looks like the clickbait headline that "007 is a black female" is confusing people. Even the cooler heads in the comment section of the Daily Mail seem to admit to their confusion and once they read the article realise this is a "non story".

A small smattering of the array of responses:

People! James Bond is still Daniel Craig. The '007' monkier has been handed down. It's not rocket science.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,333
    I agree with a lot of what @FoxRox has said. When a rumour first began to circulate from #cashleycash on Reddit that Lily James would be playing a rookie OO agent, I disliked the idea thoroughly and poured cold water on it. Having Lashana as 007 is even worse IMO. Some claim it to be a gimmick, but without knowing that much about the plot or the movie, how confident will you be when the final results are unveiled? Will there be vast quantities of humble pie eaten if the opposite happens to be true? Besides, if this was such a great idea why wasn't it done before by Eon? Why wasn't it done for SF when MI6 actually thought James Bond was dead when Eve shot him on that bridge? Even if they're trying to tease SJW's the whole thing could blow up in their faces on social media, as tokenism will never be enough for an SJW. Looks like Lupita Nyong'o made a smart move by avoiding being seen as a "gimmick" in B25 if that's all she really is.

Boy oh boy, that trailer is going to have to be damned good to convince me otherwise. Unlike previous Bond movies, I'm going to hold off until I've read the reviews before booking my ticket.
    Quite surprisingly this is trending on Twitter in London.....so the hype is real.

Though it looks like the clickbait headline that "007 is a black female" is confusing people. Even the cooler heads in the comment section of the Daily Mail seem to admit to their confusion and once they read the article realise this is a "non story".

A small smattering of the array of responses:

People! James Bond is still Daniel Craig. The '007' monkier has been handed down. It's not rocket science.

Yep, some people can be so dense.

• edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677
    bondsum wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what @FoxRox has said. When a rumour first began to circulate from #cashleycash on Reddit that Lily James would be playing a rookie OO agent, I disliked the idea thoroughly and poured cold water on it. Having Lashana as 007 is even worse IMO. Some claim it to be a gimmick, but without knowing that much about the plot or the movie, how confident will you be when the final results are unveiled? Will there be vast quantities of humble pie eaten if the opposite happens to be true? Besides, if this was such a great idea why wasn't it done before by Eon? Why wasn't it done for SF when MI6 actually thought James Bond was dead when Eve shot him on that bridge? Even if they're trying to tease SJW's the whole thing could blow up in their faces on social media, as tokenism will never be enough for an SJW. Looks like Lupita Nyong'o made a smart move by avoiding being seen as a "gimmick" in B25 if that's all she really is.

Boy oh boy, that trailer is going to have to be damned good to convince me otherwise. Unlike previous Bond movies, I'm going to hold off until I've read the reviews before booking my ticket.

@bondsum, have you see Barbara Broccoli's interview in which see states there are better roles for women than James Bond, because the character was created as a man? She gave that interview in Jamaica, just the other day. Then Phoebe whatshername came and said James Bond should remain faithful to his character and not change because the world around him has. Which was straight out of Fleming, btw.

This is what keeps me confident that this is just a gimmick, and a fun one at that, if they do it well.

Sure, this is not the stand alone slightly formulaic adventure I, as a straight white male, want to see. The thing is, why can't a straight white male have something to identify with nowadays? But I guess I'll have to make do with plots and characters from the Craig universe, Craig himself, and a lot of formula messing around that's been around since 2006. I, for one, enjoyed this tenure so far, Craig and all, really, I really did and do. And I want this film to be in line with all of that. Now, if I want this for Bond26? I'd say, no. But then again, I'm the one who wanted straight adaptations for the Fleming novels all along.

All and all, it's just a gimmick. So will be
    Blofeld coming back
    , probably. And this will pretty much be a Craig era movie. Those who don't want that, well, too bad.

Those who can appreciate that and desire other things completely different at the same time, as I do, will endure this better, I believe.

Being an adult is making peace with having antagonistical feelings at the same time. It's being lucid about this sort of thing. Not hysterical. So, if I end up eating humble pie, as you say, It'll eat it, knowing that at least I didn't ruin the production process fun by being overly negative, dense and hysterically fobic. Not saying you are, @bondsum. Just saying you should keep an open mind. For your sake. See? I do care ;)
    One scenario I can see this playing out that would please me is if Lynch is a villain in disguise, which would help pave an appropriate road to Bond getting the 007 title back.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    One scenario I can see this playing out that would please me is if Lynch is a villain in disguise, which would help pave an appropriate road to Bond getting the 007 title back.

Yeah, I mentioned this on the previous page. There's definitely more to her character than meets the eye, and I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up being a turncoat of some description.

Predictable.

I'd love that.
    The traitor within has been done so many times before, but to have 007 a villain would be something else. It would need to be done cleverly, though.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677

It will be just another gimmick, in the very same vein as Eve end up being Moneypenny and not a field agent. Lynch will be the new agent 007, Bond will be a visitor, an ex-00 agent (the first one who retired without dying, maybe, since the others are probably dead). Bond won't recover his 00 status, probably. Heck, he'll probably be missing in action by the end of it all, presumed dead...again. It'll probably all be left wide open. And then Bond26 will be its own thing. With a new James Bond being the 00(7) we are used to. A new beginning, hopefully, without these gimmicks that have been around since 2006 and have become, IMO, as tiresome as the formula itself was back in 2002. For Bond26, I say just do James Bond as it should be, gun barrel and all, and be bloody proud of it, instead of embarrassed. As for now, let's conclude the Craig era with the bang it deserves, and with the gimmicks its used to.
    I agree that Blofeld won't play any major part in the plot. It won't be YOLT, OHMSS, DAF or Spectre. He may be back for a couple of scenes, or be related to the plot the way Mr. White was in CR and QOS, but it will just be a way to keep the character in the universe, as it's pretty sure that there will be a SPECTRE organization and a Blofeld in some next entry. But for Bond 25, there's already a main baddie to establish, they already have an actor for this, and Blofeld won't take the spotlight away from him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    God people are so stupid and annoying.

You can't moan that they're not doing anything new or original, and then when they do you still moan.

And how many times do Eon and people have to say that James Bond won't be a female.

007 and James Bond are complete different things, so just get over it. If you're enjoyment of a film is based on whether a character has a number attatched to them then I'm sorry but you need to sort out your priorities.

There's much more that can go wrong with a film than that. Jesus.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    God people are so stupid and annoying.

You can't moan that they're not doing anything new or original, and then when they do you still moan.

And how many times do Eon and people have to say that James Bond won't be a female.

007 and James Bond are complete different things, so just get over it. If you're enjoyment of a film is based on whether a character has a number attatched to them then I'm sorry but you need to sort out your priorities.

There's much more that can go wrong with a film than that. Jesus.

Thank you!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The entire scenario of another agent, in Bond’s absence, being assigned the agent designation 007 , regardless of ethnicity or gender, doesn’t bother me in the least; I think it will be handled cleverly and with respect to the franchise.
    If only she didn’t look so man-like. ☹️
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Personally, I love the idea.

When James Bond became '007' in CR, it really affected him mentally. Remember that look after he killed Fisher? When he tended to his wounds after killing Obanno? When he sat with Vesper in the shower? When he could hardly stare at Solange's body?

He had his armour up and wouldn't let anyone see past the cold-heartened assassin. The only person who saw past it was Vesper.

If Nomi has just become '007' then Bond knows that beneath her bravado there is a broken person struggling with her decisions.

This goes full circle and I absolutely love it.

D_b6JCcXYAEFUp0.jpg
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    A movie insider said: 'There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

This exact scenario was suggested here by @talos7 about a month ago.

talos7 wrote: »
    I can see a scene where M says to Moneypenny, ‘ Send in 007’
    Moments later in walks Lynch.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,512
    I understand the logic of 007 being assigned to another agent, but I’m personally not for it. For me the two are inextricably linked - one and the same. I’ll roll with it as a one film gimmick, but pursuing the idea beyond that is franchise killing. Thankfully EON are smart enough to know that.

When James Bond became '007' in CR, it really affected him mentally. Remember that look after he killed Fisher? When he tended to his wounds after killing Obanno? When he sat with Vesper in the shower? When he could hardly stare at Solange's body?

He had his armour up and wouldn't let anyone see past the cold-heartened assassin. The only person who saw past it was Vesper.

If Nomi has just become '007' then Bond knows that beneath her bravado there is a broken person struggling with her decisions.

Everything you say is true, but her inheriting the 007 moniker is irrelevant regard what you say - that’s the gimmick.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A movie insider said: 'There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

This exact scenario was suggested here by @talos7 about a month ago.

talos7 wrote: »
    I can see a scene where M says to Moneypenny, ‘ Send in 007’
    Moments later in walks Lynch.

Thank you, thank you, 😉
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »
    I understand the logic of 007 being assigned to another agent, but I’m personally not for it. For me the two are inextricably linked - one and the same. I’ll roll with it as a one film gimmick, but pursuing the idea beyond that is franchise killing. Thankfully EON are smart enough to know that.

Everything you say is true, but her inheriting the 007 moniker is irrelevant regard what you say - that’s the gimmick.

Indeed. There's plenty of validity in what @Pierce2Daniel is saying thematically, but it certainly is a gimmick and I also don't know if they'll really spend all that much time developing such a character driven strand that isn't Bond-centric in Craig's final film. Especially considering the already sizeable number of elements already in play.