the NFL thread

Comments

007Blofeld wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    As a Bears fan naturally I hate the Packers. Not as much as the Steelers or Patriots but third most. Just one of those pesky teams that never goes away.

They always get their way by the way you guys did pretty good today put up a good fight vs a very good falcons team @FoxRox

Thanks. At least I have Baltimore who looks promising early on. I'm not bandwagon; Chicago fandom comes from my mom, Baltimore fandom came from my best friend. Been a fan of each city's teams for some time now.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    As a Bears fan naturally I hate the Packers. Not as much as the Steelers or Patriots but third most. Just one of those pesky teams that never goes away.

They always get their way by the way you guys did pretty good today put up a good fight vs a very good falcons team @FoxRox

Thanks. At least I have Baltimore who looks promising early on. I'm not bandwagon; Chicago fandom comes from my mom, Baltimore fandom came from my best friend. Been a fan of each city's teams for some time now.
    Vikings are my favorite team but do like certain teams like the ravens I think we play the bears early October and the ravens can't remember @FoxRox
    Packers are so lucky

Speaking as a Seahawks fan here in the UK, My initial thoughts were well? It is the Packers so no shame losing to them. Have not seen any game footage though, so were they poor or what?
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,622
    timmer wrote: »
    Glad to see many of our members here are also sick of the Patriots. It never ends with sports analysts always talking about the Patriots and how incredible they are 24/7. At least the ridiculous 16/19-0 talk is over.

@FoxRox, it's not really in my nature to care so much about a sport (or any sport) that really isn't important to me, but when a team with such a cheating and overall shady history becomes the biggest ring winners, there's always an aching suspicion with it all.

Whenever the Patriots win, it's hard to tell if they won fair or because they had a secret advantage some way or another, and that's never good in a sports event of any kind. If one can't trust competitors, it rather soils the whole experience. Baseball has seen a massive storm of revelations over time regarding past greats and their steroid use, and other widespread cheating has become apparent in other fields too, including cycling. Quite sad.

Oh please. I can understand not liking a team, because they win so much.

I don't cheer for the Yankees for the same reason, but cheating? Really?
    Deflategate? Really? Seriously. Cry me a river.
    That was nothing more than big-shot screw-up Goodell, yet again trying and failing, to win a "tool" measuring contest.
    Yet another setback today for Goodell in the Ezekiel Elliott ruling.
    Guy can't do anything right, from Ray Rice, to Deflategate to Elliott......

Meantime, heck of a nice debut by the Chiefs new running back. Very all purpose!
    Chiefs were good last year. Could be really good this year!

@timmer, wasn't really even talking about Deflategate, though that can be thrown in. I was more talking about the on record activities of the Patriots and how they'd steal other team's playbooks through a variety of means to get an edge on their game plans.

People don't despise them for no reason, after all. If you don't respect the game enough to play it honestly and fairly, you shouldn't be playing it (or coaching it in either case) at all. I feel bad for the great players they have, who are followed around by the stink of the teams' past actions on and off the field.

@brady with all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about.
    You are being an ill informed drama queen.
    Do you even watch any games?
    We are talking major league big $$$$ pro sports here.
    This is the biggest sports league in the USA, arguably the world.
    All teams practise brinksmanship.
    You use words like " sad."
    There is no "sad" re deflategate or teams using every trick in the book to get a competitive edge.
    This stuff goes on all the time in all major sports leagues.
    Fans "love" their teams and "hate" other teams.
    I hate the Dallas Cowboys, but maybe not so much now, that the incompetent, posturing, blowhard, Goodell tried to railroad their star running-back without a proper hearing.
    I quite enjoyed watching Ezekiel scamper all over the field last night, while Goodell stewed, although I am sure you didn't watch a minute of the game.
    Major league sports is not for the faint of heart, especially not the NFL.
    There is nothing "sad" about the Patriots alleged off-field "mis-behaviours"
    In fact the opposite is true. Coaches, managers and players have been eulogized since time immemorial, in all major sports for the shenanigans they pull both on-field and off-field, to circumvent the rules and get an edge.
    Volumes have been written about such stuff. The stories become the stuff of folksy legend, exaggerated, embellished, and chortled over.

Actual sad, is stuff like Ray Rice teeing off on his girlfriend and players getting their brains scrambled from taking too many hits.

==
    Edit I am officially jumping on both the Patriots & Cowboys bandwagons this year, mainly because I "hate" Goodell.
    And I hope both Belichick and Jason Garrett use every trick in their devious Coaches bag-of-tricks to "destroy" the opposition.
    By extension of course, the Eagles, Giants, Dolphins, Jets etc become my most "hated" teams and of course, dirty rotten "cheaters", at even the slightest whiff of impropriety.
    Such is the privilege of fandom.
    Fan of course being derived from, and short for fanatic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Glad to see many of our members here are also sick of the Patriots. It never ends with sports analysts always talking about the Patriots and how incredible they are 24/7. At least the ridiculous 16/19-0 talk is over.

@FoxRox, it's not really in my nature to care so much about a sport (or any sport) that really isn't important to me, but when a team with such a cheating and overall shady history becomes the biggest ring winners, there's always an aching suspicion with it all.

Whenever the Patriots win, it's hard to tell if they won fair or because they had a secret advantage some way or another, and that's never good in a sports event of any kind. If one can't trust competitors, it rather soils the whole experience. Baseball has seen a massive storm of revelations over time regarding past greats and their steroid use, and other widespread cheating has become apparent in other fields too, including cycling. Quite sad.

Oh please. I can understand not liking a team, because they win so much.

I don't cheer for the Yankees for the same reason, but cheating? Really?
    Deflategate? Really? Seriously. Cry me a river.
    That was nothing more than big-shot screw-up Goodell, yet again trying and failing, to win a "tool" measuring contest.
    Yet another setback today for Goodell in the Ezekiel Elliott ruling.
    Guy can't do anything right, from Ray Rice, to Deflategate to Elliott......

Meantime, heck of a nice debut by the Chiefs new running back. Very all purpose!
    Chiefs were good last year. Could be really good this year!

@timmer, wasn't really even talking about Deflategate, though that can be thrown in. I was more talking about the on record activities of the Patriots and how they'd steal other team's playbooks through a variety of means to get an edge on their game plans.

People don't despise them for no reason, after all. If you don't respect the game enough to play it honestly and fairly, you shouldn't be playing it (or coaching it in either case) at all. I feel bad for the great players they have, who are followed around by the stink of the teams' past actions on and off the field.

@brady with all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about.
    You are being an ill informed drama queen.
    Do you even watch any games?
    We are talking major league big $$$$ pro sports here.
    This is the biggest sports league in the USA, arguably the world.
    All teams practise brinksmanship.
    You use words like " sad."
    There is no "sad" re deflategate or teams using every trick in the book to get a competitive edge.
    This stuff goes on all the time in all major sports leagues.
    Fans "love" their teams and "hate" other teams.
    I hate the Dallas Cowboys, but maybe not so much now, that the incompetent, posturing, blowhard, Goodell tried to railroad their star running-back without a proper hearing.
    I quite enjoyed watching Ezekiel scamper all over the field last night, while Goodell stewed, although I am sure you didn't watch a minute of the game.
    Major league sports is not for the faint of heart, especially not the NFL.
    There is nothing "sad" about the Patriots alleged off-field "mis-behaviours"
    In fact the opposite is true. Coaches, managers and players have been eulogized since time immemorial, in all major sports for the shenanigans they pull both on-field and off-field, to circumvent the rules and get an edge.
    Volumes have been written about such stuff. The stories become the stuff of folksy legend, exaggerated, embellished, and chortled over.

Actual sad, is stuff like Ray Rice teeing off on his girlfriend and players getting their brains scrambled from taking too many hits.

==
    Edit I am officially jumping on both the Patriots & Cowboys bandwagons this year, mainly because I "hate" Goodell.
    And I hope both Belichick and Jason Garrett use every trick in their devious Coaches bag-of-tricks to "destroy" the opposition.
    By extension of course, the Eagles, Giants, Dolphins, Jets etc become my most "hated" teams and of course, dirty rotten "cheaters", at even the slightest whiff of impropriety.
    Such is the privilege of fandom.
    Fan of course being derived from, and short for fanatic.

Whatever there, @timmer. :)) The above justifications are why I don't find myself attracted to watching sports, even beyond the boredom of watching something instead of actually playing it. That people fight culture wars over a simple game (and one you seem fine to point out that so many cheat to get an edge) is amusing, but also a sign of the fickle mind that we find attaching itself to many belief systems. Religious wars, sports wars, where does one end and the other begin? ;)

I agree that the abuses of the players beyond any cheating is bad too, as is the way that the NFL fails to actually punish them the way they deserve because they need these people to make them the big bucks. It also isn't in their interest to spread the word about the danger of the sport to the brain of their players, so of course it must be as concealed as possible to stop them losing additional $$$.

Happy spectating.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,622

Happy spectating.

Thanks Brady! I am at a disadvantage when it comes to the NFL, as I don't have a home team, and there is no friggin way, I am cheering for any team from Buffalo, the city being an arch hockey rival.
    I watch a lot of NFL, but I am deprived of the fan emotion of loving my team, and thus "hating" the other team, so I do thank Goodell for being a catalyst, towards my rooting for the Pats & Cowboys, however long that lasts. Goodell could screw it up, by doing something competent, maybe.
    Then again....it's probably a safe play for this year.
    One of the great things about pro sport, is the emotional investment in rooting for your team to vanquish the other side.
    It's empowering, invigorating.
    There is nothing better sports wise, IMO than NFL on a big hi-def TV. It's the most TV friendly sport of them all.
    It's just so much more fun, when you have a true emotional investment in the outcome!
    Meanwhile Saints at Vikings looks like a good one tonight. I'll watch anyway, even if I am not invested in the outcome, although that can change on a game-by-game basis, depending on what goes down in the game.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 684
    I grew up loving football, watching the NFL Network continuously for years; when I moved out after high school and found myself without a television, however, my interest immediately plummeted. It was like coming out of a daze. (Returning to the game on later on, I was amazed to see the level of animosity towards certain other teams on display by some people. Of course, within minutes, I was expressing that same learned animosity myself. Curious.)

Anyhow, though without a TV I did have a radio, and stumbled thereby into a love of baseball (I have a TV now, but I still largely prefer listening to a ball game on the radio, for all its romanticism; it's also the perfect, easy kind of sport for letting me get other things done while listening.)

That said, once the MLB season comes to a close in late autumn, and the weather turns cool, I do feel a slow rekindling of the NFL urges. I more closely start to follow things then, and by playoffs my interest is typically aboard -- anxiety churning in the stomach, heart racing, and all those absurd physical symptoms which come despite my intellectual instance that its a mere game.

Each year I spend more time away from it (even this year I've largely taken the MLB season off, so I suppose my interest is following sports is diminishing somewhat overall -- although my interest in tennis has ticked up slightly), but I can never quite disinterest myself completely.

At this point I must watch mostly out of nostalgia, but you can't ever count out the irrational, instinctual devotion to the sports teams (typically) nearest the town your were arbitrarily born and/or raised in.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Happy spectating.

Thanks Brady! I am at a disadvantage when it comes to the NFL, as I don't have a home team, and there is no friggin way, I am cheering for any team from Buffalo, the city being an arch hockey rival.
    I watch a lot of NFL, but I am deprived of the fan emotion of loving my team, and thus "hating" the other team, so I do thank Goodell for being a catalyst, towards my rooting for the Pats & Cowboys, however long that lasts. Goodell could screw it up, by doing something competent, maybe.
    Then again....it's probably a safe play for this year.
    One of the great things about pro sport, is the emotional investment in rooting for your team to vanquish the other side.
    It's empowering, invigorating.
    There is nothing better sports wise, IMO than NFL on a big hi-def TV. It's the most TV friendly sport of them all.
    It's just so much more fun, when you have a true emotional investment in the outcome!
    Meanwhile Saints at Vikings looks like a good one tonight. I'll watch anyway, even if I am not invested in the outcome, although that can change on a game-by-game basis, depending on what goes down in the game.

Didn't mean to go at you earlier, @timmer, but I trust you know that. ;)

My interest in sports really doesn't even come to the game itself, but to how it affects the spectators watching it. There's a nationalistic fervor over it, but instead of attaching value and spirit to a nation, people choose a specific team. The sport and the team they root for seem to engage a part of the brain that also rallies for a flag, as we can see the same passion, delirium and near coma inducing excitement coming out from the stands as you would from the crowds on a pride day or national holiday. Fascinating stuff, from a psychological perspective.

You mention hockey, and that's more up my alley. Much more going on, with less breaks for dumb flag penalties and less of advertisements shoving a product down my throat. Most impressive out of anything to do with the game, however, is how it is well within the rules for two opposing players to throw off their mitts and fight it out to get things out of their systems and settle the dispute right then and there. I can't believe the NHL still allows it to go on in this day and age, but I'm glad it does as it makes hockey stand apart from the foul or flag heavy sports so many have devolved into.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Packers are so lucky

Speaking as a Seahawks fan here in the UK, My initial thoughts were well? It is the Packers so no shame losing to them. Have not seen any game footage though, so were they poor or what?

Poor
    Poor Adrian Peterson. Looks like he's been shuffled aside.
    The sideline looks he flashed at coach were nasty.
    But he made up later on Twitter, sort of.
    Something about needing to run the ball up their donkey. :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Go New Orleans Saints! They've won 8 in a row!
    Baltimore owning Green Bay made my day.
    Random thoughts this deep into the season:

-I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but the Ravens have a decent chance of returning to the playoffs if they can ride out the defense and take advantage of a fairly easy schedule.
    -Bears need to fire John Fox and Connor Barth. No ifs, and, or buts about it. Trubisky + Howard could be a really deadly offensive combo someday. Maybe next year.
    -Eagles are the best NFL team this year; the Super Bowl is theirs to lose.
    -Redskins may become one of the best teams to miss the playoffs.
    -Will the Bills ever return to the playoffs? They start strong and crumble yet again.
    -AFC West is still up for grabs. If the Chargers keep momentum, they could steal the division from the Chiefs.
    -Jaguars aren't getting enough respect. They are a Top 8 team and deserve recognition.
    -Panthers are the most suspect good team.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Good points.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Metaphors.gif

HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!

I am actually impressed / shocked that we are where we are at this point considering how the season started - first 4 games, 2 wins and two embarrassing losses... but i think my guys are starting to hit their stride both offensively and defensively right at the right time... i love our new and improved defense - TJ Watt is a beast, and going to be a monster in this league.. and Mike Hilton, an undrafted rookie cast off from both the Jaguars and Patriots in 2016, is a diamond in the rough....

I am never comfortable with where my team is at - and i guess from the outside looking in, they look really damn good.. but watching their games like i do, i know this team still needs a lot of work if it's going to dethrone New England - who always seems to have our number, no matter what.
    Steelers have a legitimate chance at reaching the Super Bowl. The only two teams I think that could send them down in the playoffs are the Patriots and Jaguars.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Steelers have a legitimate chance at reaching the Super Bowl. The only two teams I think that could send them down in the playoffs are the Patriots and Jaguars.

if our offense plays better against the Jags - like we actually commit the ball to Le'Veon and don't throw interceptions to wide open corners (lol), I like our chances against them, because their only offensive weapon is Fournette - you contain him, you contain the Jags..... but their defense is vicious, no question there.
  • ya i'm a eagles fan and it's great to see them dominate this season, they have to win playoffs game and at least reach the superbowl or otherwise it's a disappointment.

Ravens managed to get a crucial W. Obviously my Bears are out of it; just hoping on that end John Fox gets fired. If the Ravens defense can keep carrying and their offense does just enough, we may be able to squeak into the playoffs.
    Chuffed with another Seahawks win at the weekend. Still applying pressure to the Rams. But? Fair play to them as they remain top with another win also.
    Was very happy to see a complete performance from the Ravens yesterday; hoping they can keep the momentum going as it looks like they finally may be coming together at the right time. Steelers on Sunday Night should be interesting...
    Never thought we would beat the Eagles with our defensive injuries this weekend. Well done boys!!!
    Congrats to the Seahawks indeed. They look pretty legit this year.

Fingers crossed! But we all know how difficult and challenging the season can be, let alone the play-offs....etc.

Fingers crossed! But we all know how difficult and challenging the season can be, let alone the play-offs....etc.

I hope my Ravens are catching fire like they did in 2012-13. A Ravens-Seahawks Super Bowl would be welcome by me!

I hope my Ravens are catching fire like they did in 2012-13. A Ravens-Seahawks Super Bowl would be welcome by me!

Another shot at a Superbowl title would be awesome! But that is a big call though! And still a long way off too.
    Browns might actually win a game!
    They've got a one-touchdown lead over the Aaron Rogers-less Packers with two minutes to go!
    Browns might actually win a game!
    They've got a one-touchdown lead over the Aaron Rogers-less Packers with two minutes to go!

Packers just tied it
    Go Ravens!!!
    Go Ravens!!!

K9LDZ.gif