Who should be a Bond girl?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @Milovy, I'm pretty touchy about it. Lara Pulver is mine. ;)

tumblr_mu5k17zqhv1qzcxrno2_r1_400.gif

Yes, sir! Mine! All mine!

:))
    The idea did actually come to mind after reading your "location" about Irene Adler.
    Natalie Dormer was the giveaway, since she sort of did play Irene Adler in Elementary, too. :D

She'd be a terrific Bond Girl. As would Lara Pulver, but Lara's similarity to Eva Green is uncanny, so I don't know if we'll ever get her in a Bond film. She's my muse. Heck, I even modeled the female protagonist in the novel I'm writing after her.
    I am all for Natalie Dormer as a Bond girl.
    She would indeed. She has a very sexy accent. Definitely the sort of woman who has more tricks up her sleeves than one could imagine.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Milovy wrote: »
    @bondjames Natalie Dormer's way too sexy to just play Moneypenny IMO!
    True. I was most impressed with her in the 2nd season of The Tudors. That finale was something else.

I've heard some suggest she could make a decent Emma Peel in an Avengers reboot. I can see it.
    She played Diana Rigg's granddaughter in Game of Thrones. You can also see Dormer not wearing much in season 2.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have had Dormer in mind for a potential Moneypenny, since I saw her in an episode of Rebus (The Falls - 2006).
    Caity lotz

because god dam is she hot
    Here's a controversial opinion.......

Let's not have a Bond girl! Female leads in action films are such cliche-ridden affairs. We know the motions and we just end up having to sit through them time and time again.

Madeleine Swann was created by an interesting director and played by a great actress, but her arc was as dull as dishwater.

Can Bond 25 take the Logan approach and just focus on the lead character? I'd rather see them ditch the traditional Bond girl and just watch a movie of Bond on a mission.

Also, if Craig returns (which seems to be the case) - wouldn't we all rather see him get a great finale which isn't ruined by the filmmakers artificially creating a female character for him to open up to? This approach has been done to death and is never really that successful.

I want to see Craig's Bond end on a definitive note. His last film should also be Bond's last mission (before they inevitably reboot).

But if they do feel compelled to bring in a new female character for Craig, I hope to god that she's age appropriate. Can we not have Rachel Weisz, Julianne Moore or Jessica Chastain in the next film?
    Ditching Bond Girls... Might as well get rid of the tuxedo, the Walther, the secret agent job, and have Bond just battle personal dilemmas, and face more authors of his pain. I am sure that's what John Logan and Sam Mendes would do altogether.
  • Female leads in action films are such cliche-ridden affairs.

They don't have to be. We've had generic lead Bond girls in the past and well imagined and performed lead Bond girls in the past. There are so many directions they could take the lead Bond girl in. From book Tracy to book Tiffany to Vivienne Michel and Gala Brand, all they need to do is dust off their Fleming and voilà—Bond girl material for decades.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Here's a controversial opinion.......

Let's not have a Bond girl! Female leads in action films are such cliche-ridden affairs. We know the motions and we just end up having to sit through them time and time again.
    I'm afraid Mendes already did that with SF. Either that or he had an octogenarian as a main Bond girl.
    Can Bond 25 take the Logan approach and just focus on the lead character? I'd rather see them ditch the traditional Bond girl and just watch a movie of Bond on a mission.
    I'm not keen on this idea at all. Don't want a Logan style Bond film nor do I want a film without a main Bond girl.
    Also, if Craig returns (which seems to be the case) - wouldn't we all rather see him get a great finale which isn't ruined by the filmmakers artificially creating a female character for him to open up to? This approach has been done to death and is never really that successful.
    Not really. I'd rather the actor fit within the template than a franchise twist to suit an actor.
    I want to see Craig's Bond end on a definitive note. His last film should also be Bond's last mission (before they inevitably reboot).
    Arguably they already did this (rather sloppily) with SP, although some disagree.
    But if they do feel compelled to bring in a new female character for Craig, I hope to god that she's age appropriate. Can we not have Rachel Weisz, Julianne Moore or Jessica Chastain in the next film?
    Now you're talking my language, although I would dump the Weisz idea. Even though they're married, she doesn't work well with him (imho). There's a bit of a Gigli quality to them. She was totally showed up by his excellence in Betrayal (Broadway play) and Dream House was bloody awful (again imho).

Julianne Moore has already done this genre with Kingsman.

That leaves Chastain. Yes please.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    I think no Bond girl might work if the next film adapts the "garden of death" idea and has Bond hunting down Blofeld, especially if Madeleine is killed or leaves Bond because she is in danger. A new relationship with a woman might not suit such a story.

However, if they're not doing this idea, I'd rather there be a Bond girl in the next one.
    The 'female lead' thing can work. It just needs to be in a decent, suspenseful film. As with most things, it's all about how it's done.

There are smart female leads in nearly every Cruise effort and even in the Hanks 'Dan Brown' adaptations and they are always fresh.
    I appreciate your comments.

I'm not saying that they should get rid of the "Bond girl" character as a concept for the next film. Just get rid of the idea that she has to be a side-kick/love interest.

If Craig comes back. I want them to make a tougher and grittier story about an older and beleaguered spy forced out of retirement. I want to see a more world-weary and paranoid Bond on his final mission.

Now, I'm not saying that beautiful women cannot populate a story like that. I'm just saying that wouldn't it be a cool and subversive idea to move away from the more traditional notion that the female love interest is a disposal distraction for the male lead.

You can still have a Jessica Chastain type in the film - but she could be an adversary to Bond. You can still have a Natalie Dormer type but perhaps she can play a new type of character. That's the writers' job to figure out not mine.

I'm just saying, the thought of another Madeline/Lucia/Severine/Camille/Jinx is unappealing. Though I thought Lea Seydoux was great in SP (arguably the best thing in it), her character was thinly written.

One of the things that made CR work was that it embraced the Bond girl concept but elevated it with Vesper. Also, SF worked excellently because it evolved and moved away from the concept by making M the lead.

I'm fed up of Bond films being box-ticking exercises. SP was the epitome of painting by numbers.

For example................Nicholas Winding Refn had a cool idea. He mentioned in an interview that he liked the idea of teaming Bond up with a single mother. That would be interesting change of pace and shift the entire dynamic of the Bond/girl relastionship.
    I agree with your last post. The issue with SP was the inevitable familiarity and predictability of some of the scenarios, and the Bond girl (as executed in that film) was one of them.

As I said though, it can be done in very inventive ways. Just make them smart and integral, like they do in the Dan Brown adaptations. Arguably even EON did that with QoS (although Camille has a lot of Havelock in her).

I was speaking to a fair weather fan the other day and he mentioned that he loved SF but had not seen SP. I asked him why? He said that it seemed so predictable from the trailers, & because it was clear they had brought back that old villain (he couldn't remember his name). He said that it felt as if they made it for the sake of making it, without putting thought into it, from what he had heard from his friends. It was interesting to hear his perspective. SF set the bar very high for the general public, it seems.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This may confound some, but I think Kristen Wiig would make a great Bond girl of the "out of their depth" variety. What's wrong with a Bond girl with some comic chops? I don't see anything with a slightly humourous Bond girl, as long as it isn't too overt.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    mrw-im-watching-tv-and-the-same-commercial-plays-twice-in-a-row-104269.gif
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,588
    16130213-3f39-4b49-aad1-33d6c151c39b_text.gif
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    We had "comical" Bond Girls in Moore's first two and Connery's [official] last. And they're among my least favourite Bond Girls.
    Not to mention DAF.
    Why not? She's hot as hell. I don't understand why the role of the Bond girl is held in such esteem all of a sudden. Not every girl Bond picks up can be the next Tracy.
    "Comical" Bond Girls belong with the Dean Martin Matt Helm films.

Yes, we need thoughtful, serious women for Bond to go to bed with!
    Why not? She's hot as hell. I don't understand why the role of the Bond girl is held in such esteem all of a sudden. Not every girl Bond picks up can be the next Tracy.

Not but at least the Bond girl could be Flemingesque. After all, that's why Bond girls are held by some in such esteem. And not all of a sudden.

Yes, we need thoughtful, serious women for Bond to go to bed with!
    And neither that, mate. They're also among my least favourite Bond Girls.

In my opinion, the greatest Bond Girls are the feisty playful ones who aren't too light nor they are too serious. Pussy Galore, Octopussy, Pam Bouvier, these are among my favourite Bond Girls. Or should I say... the Bond Girls.

I don't want another Tiffany Case or Mary Goodnight coming off lousy and problematic every time they show up, nor would I want the brooding "don't touch me" serious types like, let's just say, more than half of the Craig era Bond Girls.
    I don't mind a girl who's a bit goofy and who has a sense of humour. It can be done, if handled deftly. There's no need to go back to Goodnight, but a healthy medium can be achieved. Fields is along the lines I'd like.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't mind a girl who's a bit goofy and who has a sense of humour. It can be done, if handled deftly. There's no need to go back to Goodnight, but a healthy medium can be achieved. Fields is along the lines I'd like.

Yes, thank you. I think people maybe feel I mean Wiig should play an SNL character as a Bond girl, which is not what I mean at all. All I'm saying is, Wiig is hot as hell and funny as hell, and those traits can be directed to make a good Bond girl.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Caity lotz

because god dam is she hot

Caity is a sexy Badass!