"Did i overcomplicate the plot ?" - Skyfall Appreciation & Discussion

Comments

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 1,081

This is one of my favourite moments in a film that I don't really rank too highly. You have to appreciate this as a Bond fan as the nostalgia washes over you.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Octopussy wrote: »

This is one of my favourite moments in a film that I don't really rank too highly. You have to appreciate this as a Bond as the nostalgia washes over you.

Nice, I agree with you totally. I do rate Skyfall fairly highly however.

This is one of my favourite moments in a film that I don't really rank too highly. You have to appreciate this as a Bond fan as the nostalgia washes over you.

I have to confess I wasn't bowled over by the scene the way most are, simply because by that point a DB5 appearance just wasn't a huge surprise anymore. Seeing it in GE was a nice surprise, but even better was Bond winning it in CR was very unexpected and much more satisfying. SF was kind of fun, just not that special.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    BT3366 wrote: »

I have to confess I wasn't bowled over by the scene the way most are, simply because by that point a DB5 appearance just wasn't a huge surprise anymore. Seeing it in GE was a nice surprise, but even better was Bond winning it in CR was very unexpected and much more satisfying. SF was kind of fun, just not that special.

Agreed
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    That's why DB5 should appear only once in every Era if they want us to be surprised.
    Mendes seemed to think he'd had an unbelievable brainwave by dreaming up that scene. Makes you wonder whether he'd watched any of the Brosnan films. Although I'd understand if he hadn't.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,600
    I think they missed a trick here. A couple of minutes after collecting the DB5, M asks where are we going and Bond says "Back in time". This dialogue should have come with the reveal of the DB5 so the car itself became a metaphor for Bond "going back in time", the exposition justifying the vehicle swap (no trackers) could have come after they collected the car. Also , pulling away a dust sheet has a more dramatic and mystical effect than opening the garage door.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    Mendes seemed to think he'd had an unbelievable brainwave by dreaming up that scene. Makes you wonder whether he'd watched any of the Brosnan films. Although I'd understand if he hadn't.

It was a Wade scene. Bond was supposed to drive to Skyfall with a bunch of weapons in the boot. Mendes scrapped it in favour of it being the tricked out DB5. As a link to the CR DB5 it works fine for me.
    What do you mean by "a Wade scene"?

Well it's not the worst scene in the film or the series. I was just a little tired of the DB5 by then. And annoyed that Mendes talks about it as if it was an original idea whereas this was the 4th or 5th time we'd seen it during the last 8 or so films.

If anyone can take credit for this idea it seems to be Campbell or whoever wrote GE (can't remember).

Bringing back the old cars has got a bit tired IMO, although I do love Dalton's Aston Martin and it really suits Craig.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Sorry people and mods, just gonna leave this here again. Trying to get this seen by as many people as possible :)

• RC7RC7

Well it's not the worst scene in the film or the series. I was just a little tired of the DB5 by then. And annoyed that Mendes talks about it as if it was an original idea whereas this was the 4th or 5th time we'd seen it during the last 8 or so films.

If anyone can take credit for this idea it seems to be Campbell or whoever wrote GE (can't remember).

Bringing back the old cars has got a bit tired IMO, although I do love Dalton's Aston Martin and it really suits Craig.

I mean Robert Wade wrote the scene, not Mendes.

I agree with you on Mendes’ posturing about it, though.
    RC7 wrote: »

I mean Robert Wade wrote the scene, not Mendes.

I agree with you on Mendes’ posturing about it, though.

Ah I thought you were making a reference to Jack Wade! I must catch up.

Yes anything from Robert Wade is pretty much guaranteed to be abysmal.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Roger Deakins now joins Sam Mendes as a Knight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55330387

Many congratulations.
    Congrats sir Roger.
  • Well deserved recognition. Roger Deakins is one of the greats. It's pretty remarkable someone of his caliber lensed a Bond film.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    One truly major reason why I love Skyfall so much, and it is and will remain in my list of top Bond films: Sir Roger Deakins. Glorious cinematography.

And more behind the scenes shots. This website, by the way, is fantastic (in case some of you are unfamiliar with it).
  • One truly major reason why I love Skyfall so much, and it is and will remain in my list of top Bond films: Sir Roger Deakins. Glorious cinematography.

Same here. The film is not without its flaws, but I really do think the breathtaking cinematography was what first won me over.
    I applaud every bit of Skyfall, except the score. That was a real letdown. But the rest of it - performances, cinematography, story - all more than made up for the lack of good music.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I applaud every bit of Skyfall, except the score. That was a real letdown. But the rest of it - performances, cinematography, story - all more than made up for the lack of good music.

For many of us: the score is top-notch, as well.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 532
    I go back and forth on Skyfall’s score. There are some really nice cues (I particularly like that electronic track when Bond is following Patrice in Shanghai) but on the whole I’m kind of in the middle on it. It’s certainly better than some of the worst disco Bond soundtracks, but it lacks the epic and romantic sweep I prefer in a Bond film, and for some reason felt more to me like something from a BBC drama than a big screen epic (though the greater emphasis on the support team and heavy use of UK settings might have also had something to do with that). Overall I rate Skyfall quite highly — I think it’s at 7 for me currently — but I can’t help but wonder if I’d dig it even more if Arnold had turned in another quality score instead.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The movie looks so beautiful that it is always the right time to rewatch it.
    I feel a bit similar.
    The action could be more “sensational“ (the action is solid but not as outstanding as it could) but my main complaint would also be the soundtrack. As mentioned by@SomethingThatAteHim I also like the score in Shanghai. I love the part of the score when Bond runs to the ice lake and some other moments. However, other moments have less satisfying music like the moment when Bond is using the digger. The music there takes me,almost out of the film, it sounds completely wrong (imo).

Overall, a very good Bond film nonetheless!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,554
    I go back and forth on Skyfall’s score. There are some really nice cues (I particularly like that electronic track when Bond is following Patrice in Shanghai) but on the whole I’m kind of in the middle on it. It’s certainly better than some of the worst disco Bond soundtracks, but it lacks the epic and romantic sweep I prefer in a Bond film, and for some reason felt more to me like something from a BBC drama than a big screen epic (though the greater emphasis on the support team and heavy use of UK settings might have also had something to do with that). Overall I rate Skyfall quite highly — I think it’s at 7 for me currently — but I can’t help but wonder if I’d dig it even more if Arnold had turned in another quality score instead.

I found that the entire middle section of the film, from the post titles to when Silva gets captured, is scored fabulously. Track after track is near perfection. But to each their own.
    TripAces wrote: »

I found that the entire middle section of the film, from the post titles to when Silva gets captured, is scored fabulously. Track after track is near perfection. But to each their own.

Modigliani is a brilliant track.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Roger Deakins now joins Sam Mendes as a Knight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55330387

Many congratulations.

Congratulations Roger Deakins! A very worthy recipient! =D>
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I like SF a lot, even love it for most parts. Nevertheless I have to ask: Isn't the car chase in the beginning very underwhelming? Too slow to even call it a chase? It works fine as a build-up for the action coming afterwords but the car action itself is a bit unexciting.
    And the fact that Patrice is still right before him (in his car) when Bond walks out of the house is a strange coincidence that bothers me much much more than the discussion about the perfect timed explosion in the tube.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,526
    I like SF a lot, even love it for most parts. Nevertheless I have to ask: Isn't the car chase in the beginning very underwhelming? Too slow to even call it a chase? It works fine as a build-up for the action coming afterwords but the car action itself is a bit unexciting.
    And the fact that Patrice is still right before him (in his car) when Bond walks out of the house is a strange coincidence that bothers me much much more than the discussion about the perfect timed explosion in the tube.

I don't even consider it a car chase. It ends before it starts IMO; but that's not a complaint about the PTS overall, like you said it functions well as a build up, and a component, of the scene overall.

Never thought about the timing of Patrice in his vehicle as Bond leaves the building. Sometimes I'm glad I don't view Bond films with an overly critical mindset; what torture it must be. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I agree that the car chase is very underwhelming and "safe" feeling, albeit one that's so quick it really doesn't detract from anything else. I do really enjoy the motorbike chase afterward, though wish they had omitted that awful green screen usage. I didn't need to see Craig's face THAT bad during it.