"Did i overcomplicate the plot ?" - Skyfall Appreciation & Discussion

Comments

Wow who the frick is she ??

She could have smashed Smith with that,and has just confirmed my thinking that the song was more for a female artist.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I prefer WOTW to Skyfall, if we forget about the vocals for a moment. I enjoy the composition and arrangement better. I also think it doesn't cross the line in terms of pastiche, so it works for me. Sam Smith composed a pretty great song. Unfortunately, he also sung it, but obviously it couldn't have been any other way.

That's a great point to touch upon, by the way-- the risk a Bond song runs of sounding like too much of a homage. The "classic" Bond song sound --apparent in Goldfinger and Thunderball-- is simultaneously dramatic, seductive and cool in a jazzy way. In creating a Bond song in the "classic" style there must be a certain care in not striking too earnest and dramatic a tone, but not being excessively and almost cartoonishly "cool" either. I think several musical spoofs of Bond songs overplay (deliberately, of course) that jazzy coolness.

Of course, plenty of fine Bond songs don't really aim for that "classic" style, which is a good way of avoiding the problem, not to mention keeping things fresh. Nobody Does It Better and FYEO are some examples. They try and arrive at a feel of Bondian coolness from a different place.

It's nice what you write but I worship Barry and Smith's song isn't fit to lick the boots of that legacy, if you appreciate Barry I can't see how you'd let your ears be sullied with such mediocre noise.
    It's quite possible, I assure you. I'm a big Barry fan as well and I very much enjoy the song-- as an instrumental, I must emphasize. Smith's voice (and especially his falsetto) brings it down for me significantly; a great irony, since he composed the thing and did a very good job at it. Even with the vocals, on the strength of the composition and arrangement, I might prefer it to Skyfall, which much like the film, is a little too earnest in tone for my taste. I also find Skyfall's arrangement sounds a tad too busy and overdramatic in places-- especially that chorus.

I can only try to convey my appreciation of WOTW through the following instrumental version. There are no Sam Smith vocals to distract, and obviously, unlike the soundtrack album instrumental, the melody isn't missing here. I think I got it from YouTube at some point.
    http://picosong.com/wLwEd/

WOTW is totally unsuitable for the film because the subject matter of the song isn't even well realised in the film.
    I'm assuming you, like @Walecs, are referring to how the lyrics of the song exaggerate the importance of the relationship between Bond and Madeleine. This is true, but that doesn't make the song entirely unsuitable for the film, since a) what the lyrics hint at is still legitimately a part of the film, even if an undercooked one, and b) lyrics can afford to play with such ideas. Strict adherence to the film's narrative, and the importance it gives (or doesn't give) to certain aspects of its story, is not a necessity.

(...) but most certainly not that Smith dirge.
    I do feel the term 'dirge' is inappropriate for this song. It's a slow theme, but not an especially solemn or somber one. That word would apply better to Skyfall, I think (opinions on it aside).

By the way, how do you feel about Another Way to Die in comparison to WOTW?

bondjames wrote: »
    That's a great point to touch upon, by the way-- the risk a Bond song runs of sounding like too much of a homage. The "classic" Bond song sound --apparent in Goldfinger and Thunderball-- is simultaneously dramatic, seductive and cool in a jazzy way. In creating a Bond song in the "classic" style there must be a certain care in not striking too earnest and dramatic a tone, but not being excessively and almost cartoonishly "cool" either. I think several musical spoofs of Bond songs overplay (deliberately, of course) that jazzy coolness.
    I agree. This is one of the reasons I am not as keen on Surrender as many other members. To my ears at least, it sounds like inferior pastiche of Bassey whereas Crow's track, while far from perfect, at least has a different sound and pace despite her singing on the track not being great. This isn't a problem which affected Goldeneye despite it going for that jazzy brassy familiarity you mention because....well because "Tina".
    I enjoy Surrender, but also TND. The latter is clearly less pastiche-y than the former, and I appreciate that. It's a good song.

AWTD is clearly not a great theme although and I might be biased being a Jack White fan I much prefer it to WOTW.

The thing about AWTD and everyone seems at times to conveniently forget this when slating it. Is that till very late in the procees this was Amy Winehouse & Mark Ronson's gig. Jack White had to step in very late into the process and deliver a theme.

So I think it's a bit of a rushed job and could have been better realised but it has potential, I'd dump Alicia Keyes and let White sing alone, I think she was there to add even more commercial impact. White is hugely respected in the music business but hardly a household name despite the success of The White Stripes.

The thing is a I hate WOTW, I hate SPECTRE personally, maybe dirge is the wrong word, it just doesn't say Bond at all for me and I don't worship Adele's theme but it definitely works better for me than that does.

Look I couldn't stand TND, TWINE and thought while Madonna could have delivered a good Bond song DAD was definitely not it and I agree Surrender is much better than Sheryl Crowe's puddle on the floor.

As much as I would have liked one of my favourite bands to deliver a Bond theme I was glad that the original commisioned band for the theme Radiohead was not used.

There actual theme shows far more imagination and talent than Smith's pastiche, Jonny Greenwood is an adept film composer and every band member is more talented than Smith but as whole Smith is a mere footnote next to one of the most influential and highly acclaimed bands of the last 25 years.

Their Man of War which was their original submission (until it was discovered they'd been playing for years live and it might stop the song from being Oscar nominated), was then rejected. Now if the film had been worthy of it this would have been one of the best Bond themes in well over a decade or more.
    AWTD destroys WOTW ..the fact that the opening tune is used for so many adverts on TV etc proves it.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Listen to the music during AWTD. It's awesome and classy at the same time. Not dissimilar to YKMN.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    barryt007 wrote: »
    AWTD destroys WOTW ..the fact that the opening tune is used for so many adverts on TV etc proves it.

Agreed. I'll gladly take Another Way to Die over The Whining on the Wall.
    Remington wrote: »
    Listen to the music during AWTD. It's awesome and classy at the same time. Not dissimilar to YKMN.

Agreed....WOTW is the worst but gets the credit..unbelievable.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Murdock wrote: »

Agreed. I'll gladly take Another Way to Die over The Whining on the Wall.

Ha-- well done!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    It was Brady that convinced me AWTD is not a bad song. It has some punch and style, but of all the Bond songs it's in last place for me. I don't care for the vocals of either singer and there are some parts of it that feel like fairly annoying filler to me.
    It was Brady that convinced me AWTD is not a bad song. It has some punch and style, but of all the Bond songs it's in last place for me. I don't care for the vocals of either singer and there are some parts of it that feel like fairly annoying filler to me.

Doesnt the opening beat make a difference,it is used so much on UK commercials and TV now !

Doesnt the opening beat make a difference,it is used so much on UK commercials and TV now !

Its about 3-4th bottom for me ,but surely beats WOTD which seems again arrogant re the lyrics.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Oh, the opening is very cool indeed.
    this the best cover I've heard of WOTW. It's not a bad song IMO although I understand how some might not like the Sam Smith vocal.

I don't mind AWTD either.

Obv neither are classics but not as bad as some make out either.

Is it coincidence that two of the best songs from recent years - Surrender and YKMN - had Arnold collaborating on them?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Although the song as a whole is not great White really gives the intro some punch and after that brief but visceral and heartpounding PTS it really sets you up for what is to come.

That film really needed something like what was delivered, a female like ballad would not have suited it, I get Adele on SF and Cornell was an inspired choice for YKMN.

I actually think YKMN gets better and better with age and Arnold and the much missed Chris Cornell collaborated to a T to deliver the most rocking Bond theme since LALD.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am nopt a huge fan of AWTD but comparing it to WATW the latter loses. But it only loses because of Smith's performance. Plus the titles - they are bad as well. Whatever happened during the production of SP - to me it all shows here: Everything appears to be rushed and not fully thought through. A half-arsed project. It could have been a tremendous film AND song.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Getafix wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    any plot involving hacking leaves me bored. it's not 1995 anymore.

It's usually just a device for covering up lame/lazy plotting. that's definitely the case in SF.

In all fairness, I don’t think the DNC would view hacking as so 1995. ;-)

true. but as a plot device in films it had its time - and that was a long time ago....

please keep B25 away from laptops and tedious technology. there s nothing more mundane or depressing than the sight of a laptop in bond movie

I think what made this different @Getafix, is that the "hacking" isn't done to steal gov't secrets and sell them on the black market or put a nation at risk. In this case, all of that hacking is done to merely humiliate M and MI6. It shows just how insane Silva is. I liked that personal element to the story, in the same way that LTK and TWINE (to a lesser extent) were.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Brought this over in an attempt not to derail the Bond25 thread:
    I think it’s a wonderful idea. I know some like a Bond that is superhuman and perfect in every way. But I like a human Bond. Maybe it would have worked better for some if there had been another movie between Quantum and Skyfall, but I have no problem showing an ageing Bond. I find it fascinating.
    @mybudgetbond, Bond has Always been human, and he has been ageing numerous times, for instance in the last three or four Moore films.

• edited September 2018 Posts: 4,600
    What is a little strange is that we are given no "heads up" re Bond's state of mind before he just appears as a bearded, grumpy "old", Bond. The PTS shows him seemingly highly motivated and confident, doing all the things that Bond does. He gets shot and then goes AWOL, returning to M's flat plus the debrief in 100% grump mode.

We know he is annoyed that M did not trust him to complete the job on the train and also annoyed that he had to leave his fellow agent to die: "Ronson didn't make it, did he?"
    but this never really explains why he is so angry and why he completely abandond his job and, perhaps more importantly, his country. It's almost as if, whilst he is fighting on the train, he's thinking "sod this for a game of soldiers, I've had enough of this."
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    patb wrote: »
    What is a little strange is that we are given no "heads up" re Bond's state of mind before he just appears as a bearded, grumpy "old", Bond. The PTS shows him seemingly highly motivated and confident, doing all the things that Bond does. He gets shot and then goes AWOL, returning to M's flat plus the debrief in 100% grump mode.

We know he is annoyed that M did not trust him to complete the job on the train and also annoyed that he had to leave his fellow agent to die: "Ronson didn't make it, did he?"
    but this never really explains why he is so angry and why he completely abandond his job and, perhaps more importantly, his country. It's almost as if, whilst he is fighting on the train, he's thinking "sod this for a game of soldiers, I've had enough of this."

I wouldn't characterize him as angry. Bitter is more like it. The film doesn't really explain what happened to him, who saved him from the river, how he was healed. It's Bond: we have to accept certain things on faith, sort of like not knowing exactly what happened to Bond after he was shot in the PTS of YOLT.

I wouldn't characterize him as angry. Bitter is more like it. The film doesn't really explain what happened to him, who saved him from the river, how he was healed. It's Bond: we have to accept certain things on faith, sort of like not knowing exactly what happened to Bond after he was shot in the PTS of YOLT.
    I've always thought YOLT was easy to explain: Q rigged up a bulletproof sheet under the bed and supplied squibs of fake blood as part of the set-up. YOLT is nothing but a series of incidents that you can poke holes in. You pretty much have to go

As for SF, it's supposed to be this great film that put Bond back on top, more involving. But Bond falling hundreds of feet after being shot and surviving is one of those scenarios like that as is Silva enabling a train to crash in the exact right place Bond is are both examples of why I don't think this film should be able to get away with taking it on faith and why I find it overrated.

• edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767

I think Bond´s bitterness after M didn´t trust him is easy to Interpret into that Scenario, but then it gets all mixed up with Bond´s supposed childhood Trauma and Bond going back to his parents´ house as if he personally had something to finish there.

The jump from Bond being shot and falling to Bond being healed is so huge and obvious that I can only interpret it as either intentional (meaning the story wants to focus on something else) or a messy production that somehow forced to cut out an entire segment (Bond being rescued and healed) for running length reasons. I´m not sure in the context of the actual story much would be gained from learning how Bond was saved and healed, except a better flow of the Story. In any case, I doubt it would explain better why Bond Acts like he Acts after. Except see below.

The PTS in YOLT is an altogether different Scenario, because Bond´s death was planned to be faked from the start by his own People, and that becomes obvious very soon after. In SF noone planned to shoot Bond.

BT3366 wrote: »
    I've always thought YOLT was easy to explain: Q rigged up a bulletproof sheet under the bed and supplied squibs of fake blood as part of the set-up. YOLT is nothing but a series of incidents that you can poke holes in. You pretty much have to go

As for SF, it's supposed to be this great film that put Bond back on top, more involving. But Bond falling hundreds of feet after being shot and surviving is one of those scenarios like that as is Silva enabling a train to crash in the exact right place Bond is are both examples of why I don't think this film should be able to get away with taking it on faith and why I find it overrated.

I agree very much that in this period of "more realistic" Bond (come to think of it, in any Bond era), Bond being shot and falling hundreds of feet is a big enough Thing to make it appear more than a Little strange that there wasn´t made a bigger Story out of that alone. I could imagine that at some Point there was a draft devoting more time to Bond being rescued and healed, and somewhat changed in his mind, like for instance Jet Li´s character in Hero, before returning to London, and then the second half of the Story focussing on Bond confronting M, instead of all the Silva Story.
    Just watched SF. Still think it's a classic. Craig IS Bond. Everything about the film oozes class.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Just watched SF. Still think it's a classic. Craig IS Bond. Everything about the film oozes class.

What is lower than working class, because the movie and its sequel does not work for me as 007 movie.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »

What is lower than working class, because the movie and its sequel does not work for me as 007 movie.

???
    Oozes class. It class is debatable it is such a poor effort by its director that is makes look xXx movies look classy. ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

The fall is unrealistic if you want to spend time analysing it (although he is far more likely to survive that fall than Alec is to survive the fall onto hard concrete at the end of GE). And the film is fair game if you really, really want to pick it apart after multiple viewings.

But, I still think this is a splendid film, full of semi-iconic moments. We should be proud that the film did as well as it did at the box office. We saw Bond back on top after years of falling behind other franchises. The film and Craig were rightly lauded.

• peterpeter Toronto
    NicNac wrote: »

The fall is unrealistic if you want to spend time analysing it (although he is far more likely to survive that fall than Alec is to survive the fall onto hard concrete at the end of GE). And the film is fair game if you really, really want to pick it apart after multiple viewings.

But, I still think this is a splendid film, full of semi-iconic moments. We should be proud that the film did as well as it did at the box office. We saw Bond back on top after years of falling behind other franchises. The film and Craig were rightly lauded.

Very well stated, and I’m in full agreement with you.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »

Very well stated, and I’m in full agreement with you.

We'll stand firm, shoulder to shoulder @peter
  • peterpeter Toronto
    “Where you go I go”, @NicNac !
    For me the mediocre SF and poor as horse manure SP makes me doubt very much I will go and see the next 007 movie in cinema at all, they took the fan/nerd away from my love for the franchise and kicked it seriously in the gonads.

If I want to see pretentiousness I would not go to a 007 movie, I go to a movie-house and their offerings are generally better than the recent 007 output.

The Boyle debacle did nothing to improve my trust in EON. Or Craig as he has too much say for my taste, this new director while his "true detective" was decent again smells of an artyfarty approach instead of a decent thriller / actioner.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »
    they took the fan/nerd away from my love for the franchise and kicked it seriously in the gonads.

Your avatar tells it all.