John Travolta as next Bond villain?

Comments

I happened to like Raw Deal. Besides, leading role and "high profile name" are not one in the same. You don't have to play a leading role to be a high profile actor.

Up until his casting as Sanchez, the majority or movie goers wouldn't have known Davi by name. Show them a photo of him and some people may have identified him as one of the Fratelli brothers in The Goonies or one of the Johnson boys from Die Hard.

That in no way equates to being high profile.

I don't think Robert Davi was high profile before or indeed after LTK. He played small roles in big movies and while he did in many respects a good career, he was not a star, certainly not of the stature of Travolta. In fact, he is the typical lesser known or semi-known veteran actor the Bond franchise often has to play villain.
    I did enjoy Davi most in The profiler he did even do a crossover to The Pretender, one of my favorite shows then.
    I've never being a fan of Travolta. What's interesting about all this is that they seem to have the conception of the next villain.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    forget it. not credible as a villain.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Just saw a bit of Broken Arrow and JT did convince me as a baddy.

He could just pull it off.

That was 18 years ago. Travolta 2014 just wouldn't mesh aswell.
    Travolta's villian routine has been done to death in The Punisher, Broken Arrow, Swordfish and to a certain extent Face Off, he plays it the same every time and is not very threatening.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Germanlady wrote:
    They’re going a different way with their villain in this next film

A female villain or Blofeld?
    Germanlady wrote:
    They’re going a different way with their villain in this next film

A female villain or Blofeld?

If it is a female villain we know Barb was not impressed by Hairspray.

No but seriously, here's another hypothesis: the Spangs. Although I think Blofeld is more likely, or a proto Blofeld.
    I like the Spangs better. Brother villain have never been done in bond films...

what they haven't
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yeah they should just use unused villains rather than reboot them which they shouldn't and probably won't.

Murdock wrote:
    Yeah they should just use unused villains rather than reboot them which they shouldn't and probably won't.

Well, Logan seems enthusiastic about Blofeld, or at least has a respect for the character. But yes, there are many unused ones they could have: the Spangs, General Grubozaboischikov, heck, even Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, as Mr Big in the movie was very different in name, appearance and background.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Well, Logan seems enthusiastic about Blofeld, or at least has a respect for the character. But yes, there are many unused ones they could have: the Spangs, General Grubozaboischikov, heck, even Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, as Mr Big in the movie was very different in name, appearance and background.

Well like I said in a previous post. None of Fleming's villains in the film were exactly like their novel counterparts. So if Blofeld was to be rebooted, you might as well reboot the other villains to be exactly like the novel counterparts.
    Murdock wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Well like I said in a previous post. None of Fleming's villains in the film were exactly like their novel counterparts. So if Blofeld was to be rebooted, you might as well reboot the other villains to be exactly like the novel counterparts.

Some are more similar than others.

Anyway, back on topic, while Joh Travolta, regardless of his fame or talent, has the physique now to play at least some villains close to the appearance of Fleming's, his downfall I think would be his face. He never struck me as very sinister or menacing looking.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Putin should be tabbed for the role of General G. I like Putin, but when reading FRWL, I picture him as G.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 14,816
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Putin should be tabbed for the role of General G. I like Putin, but when reading FRWL, I picture him as G.

I always pictured General G. as more massive, more like an uglier, Slavic version of Ciaran Hinds. With ugly, yellowing teeth because of his pipe smoking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote:
    If this is true the internet would literally Blow Out on itself. Travolta and his Hairspray should stay far away from the Bond series.

I don't think he can Carrie a movie.
    Maybe he can Grease the producers.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote:
    I happened to like Raw Deal. Besides, leading role and "high profile name" are not one in the same. You don't have to play a leading role to be a high profile actor.

Up until his casting as Sanchez, the majority or movie goers wouldn't have known Davi by name. Show them a photo of him and some people may have identified him as one of the Fratelli brothers in The Goonies or one of the Johnson boys from Die Hard.

That in no way equates to being high profile.

I don't think Robert Davi was high profile before or indeed after LTK. He played small roles in big movies and while he did in many respects a good career, he was not a star, certainly not of the stature of Travolta. In fact, he is the typical lesser known or semi-known veteran actor the Bond franchise often has to play villain.

Davi is a high profile actor in the sense that he's been in some big films. But he's a character actor really and he's far from a big name (doesn't mean he's not a brilliant actor though).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    We can't treat these kind of declarations as News, so in future it would be best to place these in one of the Bond 24 sub sections. ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    We only have, still, one Bond 24 sub section. In a few months, we'll need two @NicNac. Best to split it up while there's still time.

After seeing him in "BROKEN ARROW", "FACE-OFF" and "THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3", I think Travolta would make a damn good Bond villain. And he wouldn't be as hammy as Javier Bardem.
    DRush76 wrote:
    After seeing him in "BROKEN ARROW", "FACE-OFF" and "THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3", I think Travolta would make a damn good Bond villain. And he wouldn't be as hammy as Javier Bardem.

Bardem is a far superior actor. Travolta can be good, sometimes, but he is somewhat limited.
    Ludovico wrote:
    DRush76 wrote:

Bardem is a far superior actor. Travolta can be good, sometimes, but he is somewhat limited.

In a dance off between Travolta & Craig, DC is toast. ;)

SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    DRush76 wrote:

In a dance off between Travolta & Craig, DC is toast. ;)

Maybe the only way to have Travolta win.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I like toast.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Pass on Travolta. Although he would pass as a Bond villain in a white disco suit with his Pulp Fiction locks.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If John Travolta appears in any James Bond film, I may give up entirely not only on Bond. But life in general.
    If he does appear, then I want Pierce Brosnan to return as OO7, and for them both to sing and dance.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Then after they sing Abba and the Bee Gees, Daniel Craig shoots them both.
  • We would have another Silva "torturing" Craig scene.
  • BGDBGD
    edited March 2014 Posts: 37
    <blockquote>We would have another Silva "torturing" Craig scene.</blockquote>
    If you're implying something about a good actor and personal friend, then, please, say it out loud...
    SaintMark wrote:
    Just saw a bit of Broken Arrow and JT did convince me as a baddy.

He could just pull it off.

I watched Broken Arrow for the first time today, having bought a copy of it on VHS at a Goodwill store, and frankly, Travolta was not convincing as a villain. He came off rather cheesy and unbelievable- I've read where critics say his performance in Broken Arrow is supposed to convey insanity, but frankly, it just struck me as over-the-top tomfoolery. As far as the insane approach is concerned, only Christopher Walken and Javier Bardem can pull that off (Max Zorin and Raoul Silva are far more convincing psychopath villains than Deakins in Broken Arrow).