Sir Henrys passing

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Aww damn it. Don't know what to say.

And for once I think we can agree that this has been posted in the correct category.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    It's a testament to just how popular, how respected and how loved Greg/SirHenry was to us all that so many members have posted their condolences in such a short time since news of his passing broke.

It just goes to show that even in the darkest of hours, everyone has confirmed to me why this MI6 Forum is the very essence of 'Community'. When one person suffers a tragedy, it affects us all.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I woke up to this news and it was hard to realize. How someone whom i never met can affect me like this, it show's what kind of man Gregg/SirHenry were.
    It is also sad because he wrote just a couple of weeks ago how he had found a new woman and that his life were so good.

May he rest in peace, he will be missed!
    My sincere condolences to you and your family. I wish you all the strength in the world.

His contributions will be missed by us all on this site.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    My deepest condolences!

Really shocking and unexpected news. I´m not one of the "legends" in this forum, but I know who are they... @SirHenry is One.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited January 2014 Posts: 1,347
    This shock is hard to put in words.. I'm terrible sorry to learn this news, SirHenry was a fantastic member and human being. My fellow GNR fan and guitarist will be deeply missed.

My deepest condolences to you and your family, Alex.
    Sir Henry was a great contributor to this forum and will be sadly missed Alex. All our thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 23,547
    I am in utter shock!!
    Greg was a good friend and he had so much to look forward to.

:(

I will write more soon; I am interrupting my work for this post because this matters more to me.

Once again, I am shocked. :( :( :(
    I find this confusing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    He last posted on the 11th, and he seemed quite upbeat.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Just found out about this. I'm in shock to be honest. He was in his 40s wasn't he? That's no age.

RIP Greg. He was funny, kind, had great taste in music and I'm sure he was a great dad. Just a top bloke all round. This place won't be the same without him.
    Mid 50's I think but even then, it's no age at all. As far as I'm aware he wasn't in any poor health so I can only imagine it was an extremely sudden occurrence. Think we're all numb right now with shock.
    I don't really... you'll have to all forgive me for not paying tribute right now as I don't have the words. Only sadness.
  • He hung out with Axl Rose and Alice Cooper and he saw 50 years worth of Bond films at the cinema. What a legend. Can't believe he's gone.
  • In the unlikely event anybody from Eon is reading this, might I suggest some tiny reference to Mr. Ferrell, one of Bond's greatest fans, in the upcoming film? Perhaps there could be a boat named the "Sir Henry," or even a minor character named Henry Ching. I don't suppose there's much chance of this happening, but it would be the ultimate touch of class and a marvelous tribute to an exemplar of those who have supported Bond from 1953 to the present day, the loyal fans.
    In the unlikely event anybody from Eon is reading this, might I suggest some tiny reference to Mr. Ferrell, one of Bond's greatest fans, in the upcoming film? Perhaps there could be a boat named the "Sir Henry," or even a minor character named Henry Ching. I don't suppose there's much chance of this happening, but it would be the ultimate touch of class and a marvelous tribute to an exemplar of those who have supported Bond from 1953 to the present day, the loyal fans.

It's a really lovely gesture and would be great if EON did pay him a tribute. I wonder if @JamesPage has any contacts.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2014 Posts: 16,330
    Sir Henry Lee Ching was to be the name of a villain used in Dalton's Third Bond film. simply called (Bond 17) Perhaps he could be used someday.

I still cannot find any words for this sad time. @SirHenryLeeChaChing and I both shared a love for Bond soundtracks. Though I loved GE's he Hated it. And we shared some laughs over it but all in all, He was a great guy and wonderful personality around here. He will be truly missed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I didn't exchange that many posts with @SirHenryLeeChing, but I'd like to offer my sincerest condolences to you and your family, Alex.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 157
    I'm lost for words. We exchanged several emails and countless PMs, and I was proud to call Greg a dear friend, even though we never met in person. I haven't been one of the most popular posters here (my former account - 'Shark' was banned), but he always stuck to my side and defended on me on dozens of occasions, sometimes knocking some sense into me when I've been prat.

I'd have loved to have shared a pint with him, but alas that never happened. A great bloke and no doubt a first rate dad. I'll raise a toast to him tonight.

Here's to Greg Ferrell.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I'd been waiting for his roundup of the Skyfall thesis questions and now we find out that he is not coming back at all. Very sad news. He was a thoroughly decent guy and a proper heavyweight contributor to these pages.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Samuel001 wrote:
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing often spoke of his own son, recently turned 13, joining the forum at some stage. Does anyone know if this happened, will happen, or is that person Alex?

Yes, Alex is his son. His own username is Silvaslaptop (may be spelling that wrong).

I am waking up now and find myself immediately with a heavy heart. Still in shock. This was too sudden and far too soon.
    3,493 posts. That's no small number - after six months I'm barely past a fifth of that. He was essential, integral, necessary to the success of these forums and I challenge anyone to argue against that. You can't. It's a fact and these forums will not be the same place without him.
    I just want to say I appreciate everyone's comments about SirHenry. He is irreplaceable.
    It warms my sad heart to see so many people taking the time to comment on what a fine and respected member he was here, and that some of us counted him as a real friend.
    This is something our friend Greg once posted. @Mrcoggins and I thought it appropriate to post it here:
    I've told this story before, and it's one I love telling. A seminal moment in my childhood.

The year was 1968, and I was about 6 years old. My parents had gotten into Bond movies around the time Goldfinger was released and were big fans of Sean Connery. As a result, my father was completely hooked on the genre in general, watching spy type TV shows and movies. So of course it was natural for my younger brother and I to spend time with him watching these things, and of course we heard so much from him about this James Bond being the biggest and most awesome of them all, so it was logical for us to ask to see a movie. And off one night we went to see a double feature of Thunderball and You Only Live Twice on the big screen. I remember being totally into TB, seeing the most exotic locations, hearing the most amazing music, and watching the coolest dude I had ever seen taking down the bad guys in style. My brother fell asleep towards the end of the movie but I begged to stay and see even more. I think I made it through the YOLT PTS before nodding off due to the lateness of the hour, and home we went. By the next day, my brother and I were begging again to see the other films and as they came around to different local theaters Dad took us to see them. By the time OHMSS came out we had seen them all and I can honestly say I have never seen any Bond movie on anything less than the big screen since. I could even tell you what theater I saw each one in but that's probably TMI :)]

I well remember the movies coming on TV (Channel 6 WPVI was and still is Philly's ABC outlet) in 1972, and was happy to see them although I could tell they were edited. Many of my friends at school were first exposed to them at that time because their parents hadn't taken them to see them, and I also remember how "cool" I was with them because I had been telling them about Bond for years and now they really liked Bond too. I've been spreading the Bond legacy pretty much my whole life. I'm never bored with them and still try to watch one every week if time allows it. It's even more awesome now because my 10 year old son has become a fan and watches them with me. Now THAT is ^:)^

Awesome. Thanks for re-posting that. :) It made me smile. What a truly great Bond fan Greg was, and such a loving, family oriented person.
    Managed to find this discussion I had with him in 2012. Seems quite poignant now:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    George Lazenby had an arrogant, over confident air about him. women find that very attractive.

I always thought those were bad qualities. Bloody women. Will never understand them!! (I'm bitter well before I should be)

(although I will admit Laz is very handsome but so is Broz)

@Bain123
    No argument from me here. Never understand women. they claim to want a "nice guy" then end up with some jackass, thug, bad boy. I drove by the jail the other day and you would be amazed at the number of hot chicks you see leaving after visiting their husbands and boyfriends in jail.
    Go figure.

Worringly you're probably much older than me (I'm only 26). I probably shouldn't say those things at my age 8-| 8-| 8-|

I should be bed-hopping like Lazenby did - but I'm just not "arrogant" enough :p

To this, I say there is a definite line between confidence and arrogance. Confidence gets you bed hopping, not arrogance. And in my experience, women can tell the difference.

When I was younger and for example would walk into a bar because I wanted to party and prowl for women, I walked in like I owned the joint. Think of it this way- in nature, there are courtship rituals. The male bird for example struts, shows off his colors, vocalizes. Why? He wants to mate. Well, he's not going to mate if he doesn't interest the female by getting her attention. So he's gotta do something to get her looking. Humans really aren't that different. You have to have an air of confidence that will make a woman notice and become intrigued enough to talk to you, because if she won't talk to you, you're not going to get anywhere fast. Bond walks into a joint like he owns it, and that's one reason why women take notice. He has an air of confidence and a swagger about him. They are intrigued and want to know more.

Now, the next step is to understand the person you are talking to, so being a good listener is a big help. Women appreciate a man who listens to what they have to say, so many men don't get that nor do that. If she gives you her time, she expects to be the center of your attention and you better make her feel that way. You drone on too much about yourself initially, she may decide you're arrogant. You're toast if that happens. Fugeddaboutit. Move it along.

Being a good conversationalist and having a sense of humor is also a must. Having the "gift for gab" is ideal, but not the end of the world if you don't. You can work on that. The biggest stumbling block is often your attitude. If you get it in your head right from the start with women that you are going to fail, you will. And sometimes you will anyway but that's life. For every "yes" you'll get 2 or 3 who will say "no" and that also is life, so I always tried to interact with as many women as possible because that increases your chances. If she's not attracted to you right away or at all, then be fun and friendly and get her to talk to you. Nothing more may come of it right away with her, but it could later on because your personality may attract her. Other women will hear that you are a cool guy and they will want to talk to you. Now you've created other opportunities. She might introduce you to her friends. And one of her friends may like you and may be even more attractive, and better yet, the first woman is going to be on your side and speak well for you.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen beautiful, drop dead gorgeous women sitting alone all night at a bar because guys were afraid to talk to them. It could be fear of rejection. It could be lack of confidence or maybe they think that they must be taken. How did I find that out? By having the confidence to approach and talk to them. The other women there will notice that too, because you better believe that they notice each other. I can't tell you how many times I felt like Bond waking up on Goldfinger's plane thinking he was dreaming because I had the confidence to do what other guys were afraid to do. Beautiful women are often more lonely than guys think they are because of the conclusions guys draw about them.

Finally, I took the time to write this because these things I mention worked for me, and I want to help my fellow Bond brothers here if I can. I'm not a great looking guy like the Bond actors. But I wanted to have hot women of the kind that I saw Bond with since I was a kid. I was a high school loser until I was a senior. Not surprising. I had glasses and braces and was socially inept. I worked hard at improving how I looked with contacts and getting my braces off. On how I dressed, how I smelled, and how I interacted with people. My male friends who were successful gave me a lot of good advice, and my female friends as well. I built confidence and didn't let anyone, let alone myself, define what I could and couldn't accomplish. And I wound up accomplishing far more than I could have ever hoped for in terms of quality and volume. And the best thing of all I accomplished through all my experiences was winning the love of my late wife, who I miss beyond words. I wish you all happiness and much love in your life.
    Never seen that post before. Really really lovely. Making me cry now.

Thanks for sharing it @DarthDimi.
    Greg will never see Bond24.

That's a tough thing to realise.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Greg will never see Bond24.

That's a tough thing to realise.

He will in spirit. My late father always told me that when his time eventually came, If I always kept him in my heart, He'd be with me forever. And I believe that. When I get depressed over his death, He'll usually come to me in dreams. And while I'm not a religious person, It has opened my eyes into believing spirits and supernatural things.
    Not to derail the thread or anything, but As long as we keep Greg in our hearts, He'll always be with us in spirit.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,691
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Managed to find this discussion I had with him in 2012. Seems quite poignant now
    Thank you BAIN.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow. I'm truly at a loss for words right now. He was one of the greatest on these forums and he will truly be missed. I just don't know what to say...