Sir Henrys passing

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Still cut up by this.

It's one of the great mysteries - I'm not a religious man, but I hope those who have passed can witness the appreciation others had for them. I want to read his opinion, on anything. I miss it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,687
    RC7 wrote:
    Still cut up by this.
    Me too.
    RC7 wrote:
    It's one of the great mysteries - I'm not a religious man, but I hope those who have passed can witness the appreciation others had for them.
    Unattached to Earthly corporal bounds, we feel ONLY the love passed through and directed at us. Sir Henry is united with all for a while now, until part of who he was manifests itself once again on a world.... in a way.... for another short time...
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 2,107
    I've been thinking for days to think something to say. But I'm not good with words. All I know is that he seemed very down to earth kind of guy. Decent, likable and nice fellow. Sad to hear of his passing. My condolences goes to all his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Sir Henry.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    So nicely said, @SharkBait. Just words from the heart- that's what matters, whether many or few.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm in the same boat. I've been very torn up by this and still can't believe it. I've never coped well with death and I always get incredibly emotional, no matter how well I knew the person or not, and throughout the time I knew Greg on here, he was one amazing friend on all fronts: kind, very likable, always full of great life advice, and like someone else said, an excellent man to have in your corner. So sad to hear of his passing. I just had to get something out, I've felt like a real ass for not commenting more on it, I've just been...lost, in what to say. All I know is he was one incredible person and he will be very missed by many. My condolences to his family.

I also appreciated reading the words from fellow members on here, they were a great guide and it was extremely kind to read such amazing tributes. Thank you for that, everyone. I know I appreciate it, and I know Greg would've enjoyed it, too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Folks, allow me to express my deepest gratitude for the warm comments in this thread. Greg Ferrell was beloved by many. It's good to know that his passing won't remove him from our minds. I hope that, wherever he is, he mocks Death, for Death will not take him away from us.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Just picking up on this thread now. I must say I am schocked. He seemed so energized in his early middle age. A true loss and too early.
    Sir Henry was a great guy. He would have been real fun to know in person. I enjoyed his enthusiasm for all things Bond. I liked kicking around rock music with him. He goes back to the old site too. A real warrior for all things Bond. A real decent sort.
    A great loss to the online Bond community, that is for sure.
    I can honestly say, even though there are many very interesting members on these boards, if we were all to meet-up in some big Bond convention somewhere, Sir Henry would have been one of the first I would have sought out to share a dry martini with, although there would have been a rather large crowd.
    I could just see Sir Henry holding court, as a I get the impression he might have been a real raconteur.
    I love that he played in rock bands in his youth, as I spent a hell of a lot of time, and still do (although nowhere near as much) watching rock bands, just like the ones Sir Henry played in, in various bars and haunts and halls. A kindred spirit in that sense, although I can't play one note on a guitar (I've tried) without much difficulty.
    Maybe he's getting that Bond convention organized right now in some great Spectre volcano in the sky.
    Sincerest prayers and condolences!

btw. this I believe was his last Bond related post (Jan11, 2nd last post overall).
    I remember reading it when he posted it, and thinking that's a pretty solid summation of the question at hand, regarding Craig's acceptance versus Dalton's acceptance by the general public. Nice job.
    Sir Henry was Bond strong to the very end. A giant in this community. He was a stalwart contributor to the collective Bond IQ.
    I'll always think that the public had embraced and gotten so used to the "Bond lite" of the Moore era that many couldn't handle the change. Not so dissimilar to what happened with Connery and Lazenby, but not quite as severe. Like Tim says in the EON documentary, people wanted to take their kids to see the latest romp with peaceful and kind dear old Uncle Roger and got mad when all of a sudden Bond was inappropriate, not realizing that this was never how Bond was supposed to be nor how Fleming had ever intended. The old man would have recoiled in abject horror at the hijinks of that era. And as for Brosnan, indeed 9/11 had a sobering effect on everyone and as Barb stated in said documentary, they needed less flippancy and a tougher Bond for the new war on terror as opposed to a post Cold War atmosphere where everyone breathed a sigh of relief, and wanted to relax a little and have more fun and less worry. Quite simply, they were more ready for a serious Bond. But it still wasn't much easier on Craig. He had to work very hard to earn the respect he achieved, and some still refuse to accept him because of his image alone.

There's your answer as far as I am concerned.
    A classic Sir Henry final sentence too.

Follow Sir Henrys comments in this thread, especially those with Dimi. This I believe was the final thread that he participated in, again on January 11th.
    It does seem he was saying goodbye, whether he knew it or not. Maybe on some level he did have some sense of his own mortality. If so, good on him, as it really does seem that he was in a good place when he went out - wanting to do right by people.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/298577#Comment_298577

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    wow... i was scrolling through the boards really quick before i head off to sleep, and this caught me completely off guard...

i don't believe i ever really had the pleasure of conversing with @SirHenryLeeChaChing here on MI6, maybe a couple quips here and there at best. But I know he was a well respected individual, one I remember being a reg here for a very long time...

my condolences for you Alex and your family on your loss. I know how it feels to lose a father, I lost mine last year to throat cancer - and words cannot express the void left behind... but one thing I take solace in, is that we have the memories of our departed loved ones, so that while they may be gone in body - they will live in spirit, and in our hearts forever... that is something that can never be taken away...

Much love to you and yours from Cleveland, Ohio, USA... god bless mate.
  • HASEROT wrote:
    wow... i was scrolling through the boards really quick before i head off to sleep, and this caught me completely off guard...

i don't believe i ever really had the pleasure of conversing with @SirHenryLeeChaChing here on MI6, maybe a couple quips here and there at best. But I know he was a well respected individual, one I remember being a reg here for a very long time...

my condolences for you Alex and your family on your loss. I know how it feels to lose a father, I lost mine last year to throat cancer - and words cannot express the void left behind... but one thing I take solace in, is that we have the memories of our departed loved ones, so that while they may be gone in body - they will live in spirit, and in our hearts forever... that is something that can never be taken away...

You're practically next door neighbors with the Ferrell clan; they are in Philly.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 28,694
    HASEROT wrote:

You're practically next door neighbors with the Ferrell clan; they are in Philly.

I live even closer in Northern Pennsylvania. It makes me bummed because I'd have loved to have a face to face Bond conversation with SirHenry at some point in my life. Though the many we've shared on the forum are more than worthy of filling that void.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Just re-posting this information from a couple of pages back.

I think several of us would like to send our condolences directly to SirHenry/Greg's family. If you live in America, you can easily use this address below to donate any funds (any amount helps): it would be easy enough to send a check. Overseas monetary contributions ... I do not know how except if a PayPal account is set up. I am hopeful the family may be able to set up a donation fund via PayPal; perhaps they can, perhaps not. I will let everyone know if I get any information about that.

But in the meantime, all of us, no matter what country we live in, can send a card or letter, etc. to show our respect, appreciation, and great affection for SirHenry/Greg Ferrell. Here again is the info sent to me from Greg's family, via Greg's friend, Ed:

I have heard back from Greg's family via Greg's longtime best friend, Ed, with whom I have been emailing. Ed passed on our message to Greg's brother and family about how we wanted to honor Greg, show our respect, in whichever way they preferred (flowers, donations, fund for Greg's children, etc.). Here is their message to us at this time:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Thank you. Any condolences, or donations to help with expenses, would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the address of Greg's brother:
    Brian Ferrell
    100 Morton Ave
    Apt. B-103
    Ridley Park, PA 19078

~~~~~~~~~~
    Ed asked me to post this on the forum for everyone to know.

I also let Ed know, to let the family know, that they can read our tributes to Greg here easily, without having to become a forum member themselves. So when they feel up to that (and that may take a while), they can come here and read what we are saying about our sorely missed member, SirHenry (Greg). I hope they will, at some point in time; I think it may be of real comfort to them.
    Sad news. Great contributor to the Mi6 Community.

My sincere condolences.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I'm playing catch up and I am very sad to hear to this. It is honestly hitting me a little close to home in dealing with my own near death experience.

I am very glad to have gotten to know him while I was on here. He was a genuine good guy who will be missed by all. Although late, I wish to express my condolences to his family.
  • My Lord, it's shocking to see you here @Kerim. Sir Henry many times expressed his hope that you would return and his fear that the worst had become of you, and for you to reappear here is truly tragic irony. I'm sorry to hear of whatever near-death experience befell you, too, but it's also great that you survived and recovered and are able to rejoin us all.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I still come on to the boards and expect to see one of SirHenry's well put together paragraphs. A hole has been made.
  • We are overjoyed to hear from you, @Kerim! Welcome back! Please head on over to Sir Henry's Originals column -- I hope you enjoy how we've been treating the thread in your absence.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Oh Lord @Kerim you're back! We thought the worst had happened to you. I'm so happy you are back, you just made my day :)
    Oh dear God, I am so unbelievably happy to hear from you, @Kerim! Please join us on the Originals and other threads. I cannot wait to chat with you more. Expect a PM shortly.

As for my friend, SirHenry/Greg ... I wake up every morning and think of him. He knew the time difference for me and would often PM me to say good morning. I am getting past the shock of his passing away, yet I know I will miss Greg, my friend, always. I am sure he is at peace now, and I try to take comfort in that. He touched so many people on this forum (to name only one tiny part of his life). A special man indeed.
  • Welcome back @Kerim! Near death experience? Hope you're alright now.
    I still come on to the boards and expect to see one of SirHenry's well put together paragraphs. A hole has been made.

Same. This site just isn't the same without him.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very happy to hear you're back, @Kerim. I do hope you're doing well.
    I think of Greg/SirHenry often, as I am sure so many of you do.
    I am trying my best at helming his thread now, but even without that duty, I would still think of him often - usually every morning because that is when he would often write to me. Today, I wanted to give you all a final update ...

Simply to let everyone know, that I did print out in full and mail this entire thread to Greg's family. Things can disappear over the internet in time, and I wanted them to have this as a keepsake for the rest of their lives. Everyone on here wrote from their heart sincerely, and I hope that your comments and thoughts about Greg\SirHenry will be of ongoing comfort to Greg's children and all of his family.

This is a caring, thoroughly decent forum, a place where genuine friendships have been made and where we do support each other - and I venture to say it may be pretty unique in that regard. Thanks again to everyone.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thanks to you as well for doing this for us all and for his family. Miss you, Greg.
    Thanks.
    #4EverBonded
    Really appreaciate you doing that and continuing to keep this board open for all us.
    I heard of his passing about a month later. I had exchanged a few personal messages with Greg/Sir Henry.
    Thanks to you and everyone who continues to keep this "originals" threads going.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That was very kind of you, @4EverBonded. It's nice to know that our tributes will all live on in print, and better still that they may be a source of great comfort down the road to SirHenry's family and friends.
    FWIW.
  • @4EverBonded -- we are so lucky to have you as an integral part of this forum. Your work keeping us all Bonded as one unit is greatly appreciated. I'm sure Greg's family is touched by your efforts.
    @4EverBonded -- we are so lucky to have you as an integral part of this forum. Your work keeping us all Bonded as one unit is greatly appreciated. I'm sure Greg's family is touched by your efforts.
    Indeed. Her username has never been more appropriate.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2020 Posts: 17,728
    Thank you so much for doing that on behalf of this community, dear @4EverBonded. We really appreciate all you have done to keep SirHenry's spirit alive and well here on this community. You have done Greg proud and I hope that the heartfelt messages posted in this thread are an ongoing source of comfort to Greg's family in their time of difficulty.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    More than a year now...

flower.png

I miss you, buddy. I miss you a lot!

Your brother-from-another-mother,
    Dimitri