Which painting or sculpture do you love?

Comments

• Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Wow. That's a bloody big ship :D

That was used in Skyfall, right?
    Dragonpol2 wrote:

Yes
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Dragonpol2 wrote:

Yes

Thanks, @WillyGalore. I thought as much. I've not seen it often enough yet!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    @JohnBarryFan Could you find an image of that painting? Id love to see it.

Sadly, I searched the Internet for a picture of the painting, without success.
    I found an interview on Youtube conducted in the Art of Baseball room, but we don't see the painting. I was not able to take a photograph myself because cameras are not allowed in the Art of Baseball exibit.

You'll have to go see it for yourself. The painting on it's own is worth the trip, and you'll visit the Hall of Fame as a bonus!

I've actually been to the Hall of Fame about 10 years ago or so. I would like to go again though since I am older and can appreciate things a bit more.

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    In John Gardner's continuation novels Licence Renewed and Icebreaker, he mentions a painting above M's desk titled 'Cape St. Vincent' by an artist called Cooper. Is this a real painting? Or did, perhaps, Gardner get the artist wrong?
    My favourite painting is entitled Seascape With Figures and it featres in the new Bond film ARTDEALER

also poster art by Bob Peak, and here's some Lawren Harris too :)

tumblr_mqcxwvidv51s5qfmbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mt0vf6z4yf1s5qfmbo1_1280.jpg

2872-640x518.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Frank Frazetta s artwork for FROM DUSK TILL DAWN.

frazettaduskdawn.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anything by the late, great Frank McCarthy (who also did some of the best Bond poster art):

The_Glory_Guys.jpg

The_Chairman_OP.jpg

13118977_909082889202643_4277146715803076509_n.jpg

the_caper_of_the_golden_bulls.jpg

Where_Eagles_Dare.jpg

The_Long_Duel.jpg

CYZZpuQVAAAADJQ.jpg:large

frank%20mccarthy%20the%20dirty%20dozen.jpg

they_came_to_rob_las_vegas.jpg

Thunderball_Lookup_OP.jpg

Compositionally, he was an absolute genius, with a Rockwellian kind of eye for figure, posing and realism.
  • I have over fifty Dali, Van Gogh and Picasso prints. I collected antiques and did many fayres in my younger days I bought alot of interesting items back in the 90s.
    Dali s paintings are very famous, but years ago in my hometown, I visited an exhibition with his early pencil drawings. Muy interesting, and some great work!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dali is one of the saving graces of modern art. On the whole I find most of the famous artists of the period to be largely pretentious, unprincipled and undisciplined. Basically "artists" who tried to compensate their lack of ability in proper technical skill with producing wacky art whose meaninglessness was hidden enough to actually make people think it meant anything important. Pollock, Rothko, Dada dandies, I'm looking at you.

Dali however was principled in his craft, skilled in composition and color, and knew what images and what forms of images best struck viewers as he created some truly mind-bending stuff. He's one of the main reasons why I hold surrealism as the most fascinating style of the time, one of the few good things to be produced from that period of art as far as true talent goes.

Sadly, the pretentiousness of the modern period is alive and well in the industry, often making me feel ashamed to be classed as an "artist."
    Dali lived his life as if it was a work of art in itself. I love his work with Luis Bunuel as well. Has anyone seen his house? Amazing!
    I love Hopper's work and have several prints around the house. His influence on the cinema is clear....

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2004/apr/25/art
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I also love Hopper, so when I saw this at a seaside cafe I seized the opportunity to plonk my scooter in front of it and take a photo:

30522182250_7ee71ff9cf_c.jpg
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Also like Norman Rockwell I have this print in my living room...

rookie.jpg
    The Rookie
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 5,745
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 are those Frank McCarthy pieces all from real movies? Do you have the titles?
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 5,745
    I love Edward Hopper. His work, to me, captures us outside looking in at specific moments in time. You can almost hear the thoughts of the characters in his art. I always find myself focused on what they might be thinking in that moment.

To me, each of his paintings is like a specific, stylized but accurate moment of time in life, as if you've just stopped for a second to catch the view.

I love voyeuristic art, as it somehow seems more real to me.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 are those Frank McCarthy pieces all from real movies? Do you have the titles?

@JWESTBROOK, yes, McCarthy was probably most famed for his movie poster art, though he did all sorts.

Here are the names of the films illustrated by McCarthy in the order I posted them, along with their year of release:

1.) The Glory Guys (1965)
    2.) The Chairman (1969)
    3.) Danger: Diabolik (1968)
    4.) The Caper of the Golden Bulls (1967)
    5.) Where Eagles Dare (1968)
    6.) The Long Duel (1967)
    7.) Dark of the Sun (1968)
    8.) The Dirty Dozen (1967)
    9.) They Came to Rob Las Vegas (1968)
    10.) Thunderball (1965)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited December 2016 Posts: 9,020
    I got only glimpses into the great world of art of paintings or sculptures. It's not that I wasn't interested but my life simply happened in other areas and I never got the chance to delve in deeper.

But there are a couple of painters and sculptures that made an impact on me, maybe even stronger as I only got to know a few of them.

There is one painter I love more than anything else and I was lucky to get to see a lot of his paintings in museums all over Europe and also got books and the film A Bigger Splash from British painter David Hockney.

The Tate in London will have a Hockney exhibition from February to May 2017. Which I will go to.

Here are two of my favourite paintings of him, although I really love most he has done.

Sunbather
    full.jpg
    A Bigger Splash
    full.jpg

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/david-hockney

rookie.jpg
    The Rookie

Yes, another fan here, his portraits of the NASA astronauts are superb IMHO

• patb wrote: »

rookie.jpg
    The Rookie

Yes, another fan here, his portraits of the NASA astronauts are superb IMHO

I like Americana despite living in England, Rockwells art tells a story to me. Last night I was looking through various prints of his work, Rockwells civil rights images are powerful.

portrait1.jpg
    vampire_state_building_by_idoenjoyarting-d31w51v.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    9200000099338765.jpg
    Monkey Island

9200000099603890.jpg
    Dancing Banana's

9200000095632066.jpg

9200000100624363.jpg

9200000101098503.jpg
    The Golden Girl With The Golden Gun

mkx8qs.jpgbond-shanghai.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,105
    A selection of some of the framed prints I have...

This has a number of LED lights that flicker on around the pool table.
    8667131_1.jpg?v=8CC516912FEC620
    led006.jpg
    Picasso - Pallet and Bust
    1862.jpg
    Van Gogh - Haystacks in Provence
    Haystacks-in-Provence-Arles-June-12-1888-1024x825.jpg
    Dali - Hallucinogenic Torreador
    the-hallucinogenic-toreador.jpg
    Dali - Christ of St John of the Cross
    si-91517.jpg_widthcm-48.50_heightcm-81.50_croppedwidthcm-40.00_croppedheightcm-70.50_maxdim-1000.jpg

• edited November 2018 Posts: 684
    This is a great thread. @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Van Gogh is a favorite of mine as well. (Have you seen LOVING VINCENT (2017) by the way? I thought it was great.) When I was like seven I loved drawing, like you do at that age, and one Christmas got an oil painting set in a case that had The Starry Night on its face. I loved it. That's the only Van Gogh I'd seen then but when I got old enough to know who he was all his paintings instantly captivated me. No less then than now.

Beyond him, I always had little interest in paintings/sculpture/architecture. This bothered me. To the point where, in college, I signed up for a art history survey course in hopes of kindling some interest. Mistake. There was simply too much to cover in 15 weeks, and the professor too given over to ramble. About a month from semester's end we were only at Rome. The rest of the course was crammed in, and I came away without my appetite whet. At one point a few years later I downloaded an app that presented a new artwork on its homepage each day, but I found the screen was much too small to really appreciate most of the works.

It's only recently (last year or so) that I've found a path to a real interest. Things actually clicked for me when I started looking at painting etc. through my love of other art, like literature and poetry and especially film, and started thinking of it as an essential connecting point. As a Bondian example, I read about the Pre-Raphaelites and came across the Hylas and the Nymphs painting by John William Waterhouse, which instantly reminded me of one of my all time favorite Bond sequences from MR.

1024px-Waterhouse_Hylas_and_the_Nymphs_Manchester_Art_Gallery_1896.15.jpg

A book I was reading made the connection between the Waterhouse and Keats and it fits MR too:

I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful, a fairy’s child;
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.

Still learning but at last appreciating.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,105
    Strog wrote: »
    This is a great thread. @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Van Gogh is a favorite of mine as well. (Have you seen LOVING VINCENT (2017) by the way? I thought it was great.) When I was like seven I loved drawing, like you do at that age, and one Christmas got an oil painting set in a case that had The Starry Night on its face. I loved it. That's the only Van Gogh I'd seen then but when I got old enough to know who he was all his paintings instantly captivated me. No less then than now.

Beyond him, I always had little interest in paintings/sculpture/architecture. This bothered me. To the point where, in college, I signed up for a art history survey course in hopes of kindling some interest. Mistake. There was simply too much to cover in 15 weeks, and the professor too given over to ramble. About a month from semester's end we were only at Rome. The rest of the course was crammed in, and I came away without my appetite whet. At one point a few years later I downloaded an app that presented a new artwork on its homepage each day, but I found the screen was much too small to really appreciate most of the works.

It's only recently (last year or so) that I've found a path to a real interest. Things actually clicked for me when I started looking at painting etc. through my love of other art, like literature and poetry and especially film, and started thinking of it as an essential connecting point. As a Bondian example, I read about the Pre-Raphaelites and came across the Hylas and the Nymphs painting by John William Waterhouse, which instantly reminded me of one of my all time favorite Bond sequences from MR.

1024px-Waterhouse_Hylas_and_the_Nymphs_Manchester_Art_Gallery_1896.15.jpg

A book I was reading made the connection between the Waterhouse and Keats and it fits MR too:

I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful, a fairy’s child;
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.

Still learning but at last appreciating.

I have not seen Loving Vincent though I am familiar with his tragic story, I'll look for the film?

Since an very early age I learnt alot about art and antiques through my parents as its there business post retirement, so I became a seller and collector myself for a period. My immediate family are very talented in one form of art, alas I can't paint or draw at all, writing is where my strength is though despite writing several books of poems and songs I have not written for years.

Regarding collectable now I just occasionally pick up the odd items, here are some other Van Gogh prints that I have...

VG406-1000x1000.jpg
    Sun Flowers
    hb_64.165.2.jpg
    First Steps
    cafe-terrace-at-night.jpg
    Cafe Terrace at Night
    wheat-field-with-a-reaper.jpg
    Wheatfield with a Reaper
    I remember Pre-Raphaelite art from University, if I recall the empaphsasis was the depiction of women, a greater acknowledgement of woman.

Most recent knowledge I have is mainly self taught, every time I come across any print or collectable I would research its origin.

That scene in MR is visually brilliant, amazing location great set up and Ken Adams genius. Drax's ladies of perfection remind me of the Greek goddesses/sirens also, Drax probably sees himself as Zeus and his space station is Mount Olympus.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Paul-Delaroche-The-Execution-of-Lady-Jane-Grey.jpg
    The Execution of Lady Jane Grey by Paul Delaroche

Have always found this a powerful and tragic painting. It hangs in the National Gallery, London. It's a huge canvas, and I remember being stunned when I first saw it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    e470116cdce9d523eda983ea8c737a06.jpg
    Have always admired this majestic statue of Oliver Cromwell that overlooks Parliament Sq in London.

I dread to imagine what dear Olly would think if he saw what London has become these days...