Which painting or sculpture do you love?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Strog, LOVING VINCENT is my favourite film of the year so far.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 684
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Cafe Terrace at Night is another favorite, of course. I also really like Wheatfield with Crows and The Night Cafe. The latter really jumps off the canvas and makes you feel it:

Vincent_Willem_van_Gogh_076.jpg

Good memory re: Pre-Raphaelite focus on women. That was a big part of what I read. Especially Dante Gabrielle Rossetti from what I understand. Here are a couple of his:

800px-Lady-Lilith.jpg
    Lady Lillith

Dante_Gabriel_Rossetti_-_The_Bower_Meadow.jpg
    The Bower Meadow
    That scene in MR is visually brilliant, amazing location great set up and Ken Adams genius. Drax's ladies of perfection remind me of the Greek goddesses/sirens also, Drax probably sees himself as Zeus and his space station is Mount Olympus.
    Good call there. I really like the mythic Greek angle for MR. Seems to fit it rather well for some reason.

@LeonardPine That's harrowing and very captivating. A sorry story there. Blindfolded and fumbling around for the chopping block. What a moment.

@Thunderfinger I had LOVING VINCENT as part of the 2017 favorites list that I never actually made. Would be around the top, top of the list, and probably would be the tops if not for TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN. But yes, LV is truly excellent. I saw a lot of criticism about a lackluster story dragging it down. It's like, okay but did you see what they just made? It's beautiful.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Egyptian-Queen.jpg
    Egyptian Queen by Frank Frazetta

Have always loved Frazetta's work, especially his Conan inspired paintings. But this is a favourite. Puts you in another time and place. I love the way the marble pillar stands out.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Strog wrote: »
    800px-Lady-Lilith.jpg
    Lady Lillith

Dante_Gabriel_Rossetti_-_The_Bower_Meadow.jpg
    The Bower Meadow

Reminds me of this style of painting, more recent of course.

image.jpg
    THE%20SPY%20WHO%20LOVED%20ME.jpg
    spyandmoonwood.jpg

• portrait1.jpg

I see you found one of my old selfies. I was a pretty dashing giraffe in my previous life in the early 1900s.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Queen Regent, 1955.
    e470116cdce9d523eda983ea8c737a06.jpg
    Have always admired this majestic statue of Oliver Cromwell that overlooks Parliament Sq in London.

I dread to imagine what dear Olly would think if he saw what London has become these days...

It is certainly eye catching indeed, Think todays England would horrify him.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    e470116cdce9d523eda983ea8c737a06.jpg
    Have always admired this majestic statue of Oliver Cromwell that overlooks Parliament Sq in London.

I dread to imagine what dear Olly would think if he saw what London has become these days...

It is certainly eye catching indeed, Think todays England would horrify him.

And vice versa.
    Stanislaw Szukalski mastered several visual art forms. Just a few examples
    2717b2a14e2f277c1a3f2cdd475727a4.jpg

1pg.jpg?w=860
    struggle_c.jpg
    mhvtgh-b781060360z.120130207191851000gtg1cde0d.1.jpg?w=620

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2019 Posts: 17,804

1pg.jpg?w=860
    struggle_c.jpg

Great stuff!

His work is also to be found in your current avatar.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

1pg.jpg?w=860
    struggle_c.jpg

Great stuff!

So it is.

1pg.jpg?w=860
    struggle_c.jpg

Great stuff!

So it is.

I must say I've not heard if him or seen his work before, but that's no surprise as I'm no big expert on art. Thanks for introducing us to him! :)

1pg.jpg?w=860
    struggle_c.jpg

Great stuff!

So it is.

I must say I've not heard if him or seen his work before, but that's no surprise as I'm no big expert on art. Thanks for introducing us to him! :)

With your knack for the bizarre, I thought you might like him. Plenty of his stuff available on the net.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 17,804

1pg.jpg?w=860
    struggle_c.jpg

Great stuff!

So it is.

With your knack for the bizarre, I thought you might like him. Plenty of his stuff available on the net.

Thank you again. I'll be sure to check out more of his work. And you're right - I do have a knack for the bizarre. Just look at my avatar for proof! ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,545
    I sat down with a book the other day to look at a few Monet paintings which I absolutely adore. The Impressionist era is my favourite when it comes to paintings. This one in particular stands out for me.
    3ypoqbvgdk6q.jpg
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I sat down with a book the other day to look at a few Monet paintings which I absolutely adore. The Impressionist era is my favourite when it comes to paintings. This one in particular stands out for me.
    3ypoqbvgdk6q.jpg

I did have some Monet reproductions on my wall many years ago. It is very skillful and pleasant art.
    3ypoqbvgdk6q.jpg

I did have some Monet reproductions on my wall many years ago. It is very skillful and pleasant art.

Indeed, it is. I get happy from looking at a Monet.
    3ypoqbvgdk6q.jpg

I think of him as the Debussy of painters. They both have an ethereal quality about their work.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,545
    3ypoqbvgdk6q.jpg

I think of him as the Debussy of painters. They both have an ethereal quality about their work.

Well, it's probably no surprise then that whenever I enjoy Monet in books or when visiting museums, Debussy's La Mer and Prélude à l'Après-Midi d'un Faune are always playing through my earbuds.
    3ypoqbvgdk6q.jpg

Well, it's probably no surprise then that whenever I enjoy Monet in books or when visiting museums, Debussy's La Mer and Prélude à l'Après-Midi d'un Faune are always playing through my earbuds.

I myself play Debussy every afternoon from sunset until it's too dark to read the music. ;)
    3ypoqbvgdk6q.jpg

Good choices.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,554
    Some time ago, someone posted "Nighthawks" by Edward Hopper. That is by far my #1, as well. So I thought I'd insert my second choice:

Claude_Monet%2C_1873-74%2C_Boulevard_des_Capucines%2C_oil_on_canvas%2C_80.3_x_60.3_cm%2C_Nelson-Atkins_Museum_of_Art%2C_Kansas_City.jpg

^^^ That is really nice TripAces. About 12 years ago I spent two weeks in Paris, a wonderful time. I went to the Musee d'Orsay and took many photos of the art, and here are two I like. Portrait of Irma Brunner by Manet, and Portrait of Jeanne de Tourbay by Amaury-Duval.

qs9XgGT.jpg

lL53FRp.jpg
    I have these framed on my walls.
    R.fed4f8b904be4afc0614a7c78a2bad45?rik=0EpUP%2fq9uB8JSA&riu=http%3a%2f%2f1.bp.blogspot.com%2f-3y2UniwT3io%2fTlg64vDu6FI%2fAAAAAAAAGdU%2f1lkE28YRQyI%2fw1200-h630-p-k-no-nu%2fluis_royo_tinkerbell%2bprint.jpg&ehk=UXO2HDLcJxA8SsDzUvaaAdqB1pMnCzRKEQ9b%2bErLaRo%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    R.c5eca7e2668d5f6a80fd146e10b1c69f?rik=eWIz%2fp%2f77BZFMQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.thehighlanderspoems.com%2fresources%2fTwo.jpg%3ftimestamp%3d1267240693494&ehk=l5mi%2bhsxFBiRh6DFK8rzp5tWKSPhITpR0B%2boCXLKsdc%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    by Luis Royo. The one above has a 3d effect.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,336
    avis-de-coup-de-vent-sur-les-poulains-by-plisson-photographic-print-plaque.jpg
    'Avis De Coup De Vent Sur Les Poulains' by Plisson

I have a 5 feet framed print of this image in my movie room, this qualifies as art for me, its a fantasic image.
    Beautiful, gents, all of these! @Thrasos, Manet is also one of my favourites.
    Salvador+Dali+-+Spain+1938+.JPG
    I also have this on my wall. Maybe not Dali s best, but I came across it for free.
    I also have this on my wall. Maybe not Dali s best, but I came across it for free.

Not bad for a freebie. ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I have that image in a postcard collection booklet of Dali work.