MGM & Producers finally settle with McClory Estate

Comments

Murdock wrote:
    @Revelator I'm completely fine with Moneypenny, Q and Felix because there regulars who have in appeared in more Fleming novels than Blofeld. I'm against Blofeld coming back because He's already been in six movies! (FYEO included!)

So what? He wasn't the main villain in many of those either, which goes to show his adaptability. And given that Blofeld became a "regular" villain, so why shouldn't be given the free pass you give Moneypenny?
    Murdock wrote:
    He's been exhausted.

Only in your imagination.
    Murdock wrote:
    Quantum isn't fan-service because It's completely different than SPECTRE.

It's exactly the same thing: a shadowy international terrorist organization. The only way it's different is that nobody memorable is in charge!
    Murdock wrote:
    You clearly want Blofeld back because YOU want him back.

I want him back because because he's a classic and effective recurring villain. You don't want him back because you don't have enough imagination to see how he could be reworked.
    Murdock wrote:
    By YOUR logic we should just bring back ever villain and Reboot every Bond movie.

Nope. No other Bond villains were designed as recurring threats. And while some Bond films might benefit from a remake, most wouldn't.
    Murdock wrote:
    Bring on "Originality" I'm sick of rebooting characters because it's popular.

The reboots of Bond and Moneypenny and Q were all successful, so why cry about it?
    Murdock wrote:
    But I'd preferred James Bond villains's stay current and up to date. too many movies have megalomaniacs as villains. I want something new. Silva was a breath of fresh air. He managed to be a silly but psychotic villain with an air of being Over to top

And in the end he was still a megalomaniac with visions of toppling the British secret service. You've defeated your own point. Megalomaniac supervillains are what Bond typically fights--would you prefer that he went after tax dodgers and people who don't return library books? I'm sure that would qualify as "originality'! Spectre--a terrorist corporation--is gloriously relevant and up-to-date as a concept. Let's not patronize the filmmakers by assuming that they'll bring back Blofeld by making an actor mimic Donald Pleasance. The newer Bond films have already demonstrated their capability at reviving and reworking familiar aspects of the Bond formula.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited November 2013 Posts: 16,330
    I'm done arguing about this. Let your nostalgia goggles cloud your thoughts on the future of the franchise.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SPECTRE is fine where it is (in the 60's) IMO. Go with Quantum now.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:
    SPECTRE is fine where it is (in the 60's) IMO. Go with Quantum now.

We reach brother! :))
    I dont want them brining back SPECTRE or QUANTUM. All I want is a classic Bond film with a stand alone villain and the fuckin gunbarrel in the beginning is that too much to ask
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bad language makes for bad feelings.- Robocop
    Murdock wrote:
    I'm done arguing about this. Let your nostalgia goggles cloud your thoughts on the future of the franchise.

You broke your promise not to argue about this, so you shouldn't have started in the first place. It's sad that your lust for pointless novelty leads you to prefer an unoriginal and boring Spectre knock-off like Quantum--just as it's sad that you can't see how Blofeld could be re-imagined as Moneypenny and Q were. If Bond is going to be fighting terrorists--as he done in his last few films--then let him fight Spectre, which was ahead of its time in blending the two great sources of anxiety our time: terrorism and the rapacious international corporation. Combine the two concepts and you have a villain that is more relevant than ever. Welcome back Ernst.
    I'm new to this debate................ but I would look forward to a new re-imagined Blofeld. It's possible Mendes has a soft spot for him just like the DB5. Meanwhile, until 24 shows up we'll have Fleming's other spy, Napoleon Solo to hang with next year.

• Isn't there another (appropriate) thread that can accomodate any, and all, talk of Blofeld or SPECTRE etc, as a future return ?

For the final, and last time, the above names are archaic and obselete to James Bond from a 21st century perspective, reboot or no damn reboot. I can't tell them what to do or which way to go in future releases or dictate who features where, but can only hope they don't even consider a resurrection of such outdated characters and organizations. Quantum is obviously feasible enough as it only featured in the very recent past, even if they did omit from the most recent title. This is a tired debate I see no further reason to participate in
  • Couple of quick things. If MGM and Danjaq spent money getting the rights to SPECTRE and Blofeld, they're damn well going to use them. Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, you're never going to see Quantum in another movie. QOS is generally considered a mis-step in the franchise, and they're not going to intentionally harken back to it by using the evil organization from it's title. If you were going to see Quantum again it would have been in Skyfall, but you didn't, so the ship has sailed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Couple of quick things. If MGM and Danjaq spent money getting the rights to SPECTRE and Blofeld, they're damn well going to use them. Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, you're never going to see Quantum in another movie. QOS is generally considered a mis-step in the franchise, and they're not going to intentionally harken back to it by using the evil organization from it's title. If you were going to see Quantum again it would have been in Skyfall, but you didn't, so the ship has sailed.

Sounds more like an opinion than any sound logic in your second statement. That's like saying if we were going to see MP/Q at all during Craig's Bond's tenure, we would've seen them in CR. Alas, three films later, here they are. Just because they skip a film doesn't mean Quantum won't return. Why introduce a new group just to not finish the storyline and tackle something else? Makes no sense.
  • Blofeld is to Bond as the Joker is to Batman. it's a classic rivalry and one which I think they are in a prime position to re-open and explore given how Skyfall ended with a setup for the classic Bond film. I'm so happy they acquired the rights to Blofeld, and I can't wait to see him make his rightful return in Bond 24!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Blofeld is to Bond as the Joker is to Batman. it's a classic rivalry and one which I think they are in a prime position to re-open and explore given how Skyfall ended with a setup for the classic Bond film. I'm so happy they acquired the rights to Blofeld, and I can't wait to see him make his rightful return in Bond 24!!!

Sounds like a fairly confident statement. I feel like I'm sensing a lot of that in this thread.
    Blofeld is to Bond as the Joker is to Batman.
    Wrong Blofeld is more like Lux Luther. Some people think James Bond is like Superman but Blofeld has Lux Luther like of. Well I don't know whether Blofeld will return or not. But the Quantum organisation should be solve I must say. But when Blofeld was seen last in Diamonds are Forever For Your Eyes only just a pre-title.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I want Quantum back; it makes sense. I don't need Blofeld.
    But I could imagine them saying that Quantum used to be known as ... had its seeds decades ago as ... SPECTRE. Yes, that is a possibility; just a nod to it.

Sigh. I rather hope they don't bring Blofeld back. But a cool tie in, maybe the next 2 films, with Quantum - as always, if well written - could be great. I think as far as EON goes, the jury is out; we do not know enough to even guess if they would bring Blofeld back.
  • I want Quantum back; it makes sense. I don't need Blofeld.
    But I could imagine them saying that Quantum used to be known as ... had its seeds decades ago as ... SPECTRE. Yes, that is a possibility; just a nod to it.

Sigh. I rather hope they don't bring Blofeld back. But a cool tie in, maybe the next 2 films, with Quantum - as always, if well written - could be great. I think as far as EON goes, the jury is out; we do not know enough to even guess if they would bring Blofeld back.

They'd be better off not even mentioning SPECTRE and just introducing Blofeld as the leader of Quantum. That said, I wouldn't be surprised that if they do bring back Blofeld, that they'll completely reinvent him, leaving little character semblance to the Blofeld of the 1960's. I think it would be a disservice to all parties if they reintroduced him as the larger than life mega-villain bent on world domination. As Daniel Craig said, "Austin Powers killed that joke."
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Blofeld could be head of Quantum, yes. Hard to see them not mentioning SPECTRE at all, even in passing, though, if Blofeld is the name of a character in the new film.
    Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I'm not going to argue against it anymore. It doesn't help me. It will be a big mistake if EON brings back Blofeld and Spectre. End of story.

Right there with you. Couldn't possibly agree more, but I've argued this to death and said what needs to be said.

Indeed @Creasy47. My words go in one ear and out the other for those dying for Blofeld to make his return. However just as long as he doesn't I'll be happy.

To all those desperately wanting Blofeld Back for B24, watch this and be disappointed.
    hqdefault.jpg
    "I really hate that game."
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    No, no, no, no, no. I'm sorry to continue this Blofeld-debate, but to bring back ESB or SPECTRE will be franchise ruining. Quantum, love it or loathe, is the way forward. Whereas SPECTRE and Blofeld have been exhausted, there are so many possibilities for Quantum. I really didn't want to have repeated things that have been said already (again, again and again), but there are some on this forum who are false-hopers, and these things need to be said.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've just watched that OHMSS walkthough, did they confuse OHMSS with Nightfire? Bond inside a cablecar, using a rocket launcher to take out a helicopter, it's Nightfire.
    I'm too affriad to look at what they did to LTK. I would like to think it was treated better, but in my heart of hearts, I know that won't be true.

As for Blofeld returning, if they update his look, I won't object.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think I'd be rather disappointed if Blofeld turned out to be the leader of Quantum. After waiting all this time I'm hoping to see something original. I really don't want to see Blofeld at all in the Craig era. It just doesn't feel right.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Blofeld is to Bond as the Joker is to Batman. it's a classic rivalry and one which I think they are in a prime position to re-open and explore given how Skyfall ended with a setup for the classic Bond film. I'm so happy they acquired the rights to Blofeld, and I can't wait to see him make his rightful return in Bond 24!!!

Sounds like a fairly confident statement. I feel like I'm sensing a lot of that in this thread.

Yes, fully agreed there, mate. I'm concerned by a number of the absolute-esque statements being thrown about in this thread.

Me personally, I would like for Bond to have an arch nemesis just so long as he's a real credible threat. It wont bother me if its Blofeld re-imagined or a completely new character altogether. Also I think just because QoS was a wishy-washy movie it doesn't mean Quantum are done and dusted and will never appear in a Bond film again, I just don't understand that reasoning from some people.
    I've just watched that OHMSS walkthough, did they confuse OHMSS with Nightfire? Bond inside a cablecar, using a rocket launcher to take out a helicopter, it's Nightfire.
    I'm too affriad to look at what they did to LTK. I would like to think it was treated better, but in my heart of hearts, I know that won't be true.

You haven't played Legends then? Let me tell you, the OHMSS levels are by far the strongest section in the entire game. That can only make you think how bad the rest of it is. And no, LTK most certainly was not treated better.
  • Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I'm not going to argue against it anymore. It doesn't help me. It will be a big mistake if EON brings back Blofeld and Spectre. End of story.

Right there with you. Couldn't possibly agree more, but I've argued this to death and said what needs to be said.

Indeed @Creasy47. My words go in one ear and out the other for those dying for Blofeld to make his return. However just as long as he doesn't I'll be happy.

To all those desperately wanting Blofeld Back for B24, watch this and be disappointed.

This is very curious.

The game came out in 2012 and the character is clearly called Blofeld and looks like the cinematic character as well.

Also comments by Babs and MGW recently have all alluded that Blofeld and SPECTRE have been back with EON for a while. Personally I think yesterdays news was just the last piece of the puzzle and all the TB rights are now firmly been back with EON. How else can you explain his appearance in 007 legends?

The big question of whether Blofeld will return is less promising. EON clearly have a lot of bad blood with the character that is so deep-seated I really doubt they would happily re-open those wounds. However, it does seem like a perfect time to reboot the character akin to what Nolan did with the Joker.

But.........there is a bigger issue. There is a reason Blofeld has been off-screen for so long. Did Fleming even create the character? There's a lot of evidence that it was McClory who created both Blofeld and SPECTRE.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Revelator wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Nonsense--this is just the beginning. Bond without Blofeld is like Sherlock Holmes without Moriarty. Ellipsis and Quantum were cut-price versions of Spectre in the first place.
    Do your research. Sherlock Holmes without Moriarty is about 95%, and Ellipsis was just a code word, not an organisation.

Revelator wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    He's been exhausted.

Only in your imagination.
    Blofed´s been chewed to unswallowable, undigestable pulp.

I say, bring the character from the novels that had the name Bolfeld, but leave the name where it belongs, in the past. Bond is about modernism, not nostalgia.

• edited November 2013 Posts: 4,619
    Here is my official prediction: either Blofeld will appear in Bond 24 or the villain of the film will be a woman.

I have for a long time predicted that we will finally get a woman as the main villain (someone who is clearly the main villain from the beginning, unlike Elektra King). A female main villain is long overdue and now that the series lost a major female character (Judi Dench's M) I think the creators are seriously considering a female main baddy.

Now after hearing the news I'm thinking they might get Blofeld instead. I'm sure they are at least considering his reappearance. How about a female main villain and Blofeld as her boss appearing in a cameo? I really don't get why people are against Blofeld reappearing. Are you afraid that it will be too cliche? If somone can get a great actor to play him and make him work in the 21st century then it's Sam Mendes.
    Blofeld could be revealed as the mastermind behind 9/11 in order to manipulate the puppet American government into orchestrating a little war on terror for his own gains ie oil control etc. Wait, that might be a little too close to reality though.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Blofeld is a property of Bond of the 60's and Flemings books. If it was revelead that he were the leader of Quantum it would be extremly anti-climatic just because that is an "expected" move from the producers side.
    There's no reason to resurrect him again, i would rather see something new and fresh. Because isn't that more exciting?

The producers aquired these rights just to reassure themself that no-one else should get their hands on the rights.
  • oo7oo7
    "A proud and stubborn man up until his death in 2006" who wrote this?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

You haven't played Legends then? Let me tell you, the OHMSS levels are by far the strongest section in the entire game. That can only make you think how bad the rest of it is. And no, LTK most certainly was not treated better.

No, I haven't played it yet. The idea of Craig's Bond being crow-barred into previous films' plots (especially LTK) would have turned me off the game. But as a completionist, i'm waiting for the price to drop further. Then i'll buy it, complete it and finally store it away.