The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It sounds like it's doing very well. $17 million to make, with weekend numbers such as $26M domestically and $30.5M worldwide. It's already doing better than the Texas Chainsaw sequel ($21.7M).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have yet to see Texas Chainsaw. (Stupid Flemish cinemas refused to show it for some obscure reason. :( ). Evil Dead is on the menu soon though. I'm curious to see how it will play out. I'm a modest fan of TED and ED II but I can't stand AOD.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,894
    It did make it into cinemas here, but with the DVD's being released so soon after films leave the cinema, I tend to wait for the DVD more and more these days. The last film I watched on the big screen was Skyfall, and before that, it was Piranha 3DD.

May 27th is when the TCM dvd is released here. It's not that long to wait, really.

I agree with you on the ED films, Dimi (no surprise eh ;) ). ED1 was a pure horror film, ED2 struck a perfect balance of horror and comedy, while AOD was the opposite of ED1.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow, what a loss. RIP Brooker. I absolutely loved his time in the Friday the 13th series.

As for TCM, I've only read the plot. Had a bit spoiled for me and just decided to finish off the rest of it. Sounds mediocre at best, but I still want to see it come DVD release.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    TCM wasn't great anyway. Worth a watch if you like the series but you're not really missing out if you wait for the DVD.

I thought it was a decent enough slasher flick with a very big plot hole.
    @thelivingroyale, while I haven't seen the entire film, what's the plot hole? I know how it ends, so it won't ruin anything for me. Was it that:
    Again, I don't know how the events play it, so it may be a valid reason, but is it that the main character doesn't immediately read the letter, which would have allowed them to avoid all of the events in the film?
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Creasy47 It was something really simple which I'm surprised nobody picked up on while filming.
    Heather (the lead girl) was a baby in 1974. Meaning this young woman who looks like she's in her early 20s at most, is nearly 40. And there are smartphones, meaning it definitely doesn't take place in the 90s.
    Sounds like a big joke to me. I wonder how they didn't catch that.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Following the teaser trailer for Hatchet III last month, we now have a teaser poster:

In limited theaters June 14 from MPI/Dark Sky Films, we now have the official teaser poster for Hatchet III!

Opening week – New York City’s Cinema Village and in Los Angeles at Laemmle Music Hall – will feature special appearances by cast and crew, followed by Q&A’s at each location. Additional cities will be announced at a later date.

The film marks the directorial debut of BJ McDonnell who previously has handled A and B camera operations on such features as Rob Zombie’s Halloween remake, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and Adam Green’s first two Hatchet films. Danielle Harris and Kane Hodder return in Hatchet III and are joined by Zach Galligan (Gremlins), Derek Mears (Friday the 13th 2009), Caroline Williams (Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2), Sean Whalen (The People Under the Stairs) and others.

“The film continues the tale of the now-iconic villain Victor Crowley (Kane Hodder). As a search and recovery team heads into the haunted swamp to pick up the pieces and carnage left behind from the first two films, Marybeth (Danielle Harris) hunts down the true secret to ending the voodoo curse that has left the ghost of Victor Crowley haunting and terrorizing Honey Island Swamp for decades.“

15264.jpg

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3228107/official-poster-premiere-for-hatchet-iii/

I didn't think much of Hatchet, while Hatchet II hit the spot. The inclusion of Danielle Harris as Marybeth helped add to Hatchet II's horror pedigree feel.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Evil Dead 2013: I thought this was a great re-make, and that's what it is. If it's a sequel fine, but it's more properly a re-make and great homage to the original gorefest. Speaking of, nothing is spared. Gore, gore and more gore. In any other horror film, such excessiveness would be reduced to camp silliness, but with Evil Dead, it works. It's part of what the original was famous for. Our 5 characters need to get beat-up real good and the new Evil Dead delivers in buckets. I actually counted 5 people that walked out of the showing I was at, and they were all young people too. One group of a guy with two girls plus another couple. You got to be careful who you see this film with. It might be too much for the faint of heart. But if you understand what's going on and what the appeal of the original was, then you know they had to go this route, and a good job they did.
    Both the original and this re-make did a real nice job building to the eventual mayhem and insanity that inevitably must take-over the screen and assault our senses for such an extended stretch. Once the madness had fully settled in, is when the walkouts started I noticed. As if these customers had now resigned themselves to what the film was all about.. But those of us that are down with the spirit of the original, just sit up straighter in our seats at this point and savour the inspired recreation of the original film's manic vibe.
    I'd even say this was an inspired improvement on the original. Many of the most memorable bits from the original are homaged, including the infamous raped-by- branches scene, although this time around, it kind of made more sense. the new director has the girl locked in the basement scenario down. One of the guys is almost Ash-like although not quite. They got the bad book down well, as well as the gradual progression of the characters all losing it and descending into madness/possession.
    This is probably close to the movie Raimi wished he could have made originally, with more money and better film sfx to work with. I love this remake. I'd love to see it again. One more time anyway. And do stay to the bitter end of the final credit crawl, especially if you are an Ash fan, and who isn't. The closing credits are actually designed to keep you engaged right to the end. Nice touch that. I wish more films would do that.

5 stars out of 5. I think Raimi should be pleased with this very well produced homage.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,894
    BREAKING: Paramount Pictures Lands ‘Friday the 13th’ License! Jason Voorhees Will Return!!!!

How Batman and Christopher Nolan saved the Friday the 13th franchise, for now…

One of the biggest hold-ups to a sequel to the 2009 remake of Friday the 13th was that there were just too many hands in the pot. Just yesterday I was talking with a few colleagues about how we won’t see the return of Jason Voorhees until someone lets up – whether it be Paramount or New Line/Warner Bros. Pictures. After years of fan tears, breaking news comes out of the Hollywood Reporter who writes that Paramount Pictures has officially landed the franchise rights, which also include Jason Voorhees and his likeness. This is major news as we should expect a sequel to get back on fast-track immediately.

When Paramount and Warner Bros. teamed up on Christopher Nolan’s latest movie project, Interstellar, in January, some wondered how Warners made its way on board a project set up at a rival studio…

Now, months later, THR has learned more about the price that Warners had to pay in exchange for half the Nolan project. The cast of characters includes Friday the 13th villain Jason Voorhees as well as the foul-mouthed kids from “South Park” (bonus news!).

Warners, which released Nolan’s megagrossing Batman movies and maintains an overall deal with his Syncopy label, wanted in on Interstellar so badly it gave Paramount its rights to co-finance the next Friday the 13th horror film as well as its portion of a future “South Park” movie. Also part of the deal was an agreement to let Paramount co-finance a to-be-determined A-list Warners property.

Warner Bros. and Paramount declined to comment on the arrangement.

You can read the rest on B-D.com:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3236265/breaking-paramount-pictures-lands-friday-the-13th-license-jason-voorhees-will-return/

You can't see it, but i'm doing my happy dance. :D I've been waiting for the sequel since I walked out of the cinema in 2009.
    Here is the Insidious: Chapter 2 Official Trailer #1...

Bloody Disgusting.com: 11 Things We Want From The Friday The 13th Sequel

1. No Baghead Jason
    2. No Zombie Jason
    3. Keep It Relatable
    4. Keep It Simple
    5. Camp Crystal Lake
    6. No Found Footage!
    7. Great Kills
    8. Derek Mears
    9. A 'Finding All The Bodies" Scene
    10. Sex, Of Course
    11. A Kevin Bacon Cameo

You can read the more detailed version <a href=http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3237077/11-things-we-want-from-the-new-friday-the-13th-movie/>here.</a>;
    I remember the sequel rumors after the 'Friday the 13th' remake that it might possibly take place in a snowy setting. I would really enjoy seeing that. So much they could do with it. I've awaited a sequel for years now.

As for 'Insidious Chapter 2,' the trailer really didn't scare me, and I was really anticipating it. But, I remember most of the scary parts not being in the trailer for the first film, and I plan on seeing this either way. Maybe the second trailer will do a better job. I know the big teaser for 'The Conjuring' scared the hell out of me, then the full trailer was a bore.
    Interested to see where they are going to take the F13 franchise. For me, personally, it will be important even but then for other reasons. Let us suppose, for a second, that this new film brings home big money. It might lead to a renewed interest in the slasher genre. You all know where this is going, right? YES! Dimi wants more Halloween and Freddy!! Gimme gimme.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Further proof that the F13 sequel isn't just my imagination:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3237742/exclusive-platinum-dunes-partnering-with-paramount-for-friday-the-13th-sequel/

I like(d) Hodder (one look at the Hatchet films shows that he could still play Jason), but for the sake of consistency, I think Mears should be brought back.

---

And in other F13 related news, all 12 films are to be relased in a Blu Ray set:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3237586/its-official-all-12-friday-the-13th-movies-in-one-blu-ray-box/

I'm not one for BR, but that set looks awesome (not a word I throw around much). I'm guessing the bonus disc will feature 'His Name Was Jason: 30 Years Of Friday The 13th'. Look, they even used Jason from JGTH, on the cover. I want it.
    First review of James Wan's The Conjuring is up if anyone is interested.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3239531/bd-review-the-conjuring-will-rattle-you-to-your-core/
    That blu-ray box set sounds very cool. I'd like to pick it up, but I'm pretty short on the cash lately.

@bondsum, I looked at bits and pieces of that review and am happy to see that the film truly is as scary as it appears in the trailers. I think the 'clapping' teaser had the hair on my arms standing up the entire time.
    I would like to see more of Ti West. House Of The Devil and Innkeepers were amazing films in my book. This guy is one talented dude for sure! Still need to see VHS but I will get there shortly.

And Eli Roth! What the hell has he been doing lately?

To summarize: West, Roth and Neil Marshall need to squeeze out more films for Dimi is hungry.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 3,333
    I agree, @Creasy47, the movie looks like it has a few good jump scares in it and a decent story. I'm looking forward to both James Wan's upcoming horror movies.

@DarthDimi, I believe Eli Roth is making some cannibal horror movie called The Green Inferno due out later this year. He also appears in Aftershock which got pretty poor reviews due to the gratuitous violence. Neil Marshall currently has The Last Voyage of Demeter in production starring Viggo Mortensen, which follows the ill-fated crew aboard the merchant ship Demeter which carried Dracula's coffin from Transylvania to England only to arrive at port with no survivors aboard. Ti West has completed a movie called The Sacrament which is a found-footage docu-style horror set in a Jonestown type cult where we watch a mass suicide begin and the film makers are trapped inside. See picture below from The Sacrament.

sacrement-pic-1-a.jpg

Eli Roth worked on 'Hemlock Grove,' too, for Netflix.

@DarthDimi, overall, I loved 'V/H/S,' but of course, some of the segments were leagues better than the others.
    Another review of James Wan's The Conjuring is now available and it's positive.
    Hollywood Reporter Bottom Line: Taut and effective edge-of-the-seat horror, delivered with style and an especially haunting performance by Vera Farmiga.

A month before its release, James Wan’s supernatural thriller took its North American bow at the Los Angeles Film Festival.

So-called Splat Pack filmmaker James Wan (Saw, Insidious) opts for old-school restraint over gore in The Conjuring, an involving and effective throwback to ’70s supernatural horror-thrillers. On the basis of through-the-roof reactions at test screenings, Warners and New Line moved the film’s release from January to the heat of summer tentpole season, a decision that should pay off with sizzling summer receipts from young adults. But the handsomely shot, expertly button-pushing scarefest, which opens July 19 in North America with worldwide dates lined up through the season, has the polish and the cast to draw older audiences who grew up on shockers built from performances rather than CGI.

Click on the link to read more...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/conjuring/review/573656
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Dimi wants more Halloween and Freddy!! Gimme gimme.

I wouldn't mind more Halloween and FT13 but I think without Robert Englund there's just no point continuing with the Nightmare movies.

I think someone should make a new iconic slasher villain. The last one was probably Ghostface and it's been almost 20 years since Scream.
    @thelivingroyale, I agree. I think we rely on what we've been given since Ghostface, but we don't have many brand new slashers anymore that truly continue like F13, Halloween, etc.
    The Hatchet films have scratched an itch for modern splatter films. I have not seen Hatchet 3, but I've heard the formula is starting to wear thin, due to the setting. Maybe a change of scenery will do the series some good? Funny, there wasn't any complaints about the setting of the Friday The 13th films (1 to 7), until they left Crystal Lake.

It looks like they're trying to stretch the shelf life of the Outpost films. I loved the first Outpost, found the second one to be very underwhelming, so I wish they will let this series die after Outpost 3. It's what I call the 'Wishmaster Syndrome', one film I really liked, followed by a succession of increasingly poor sequels.
    I still have yet to see any of the 'Outpost' films, but I've heard you all speak of how amazing the first is. I believe the one I always see (and rented one time, though unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to watch it) was 'Outpost: Black Sun'. Does that ring a bell to anyone or have I mistaken the title? Either way, if I'm right, how was it?
    Yes, that the 1st sequel. I didn't like it. Maybe I was expecting too much, maybe I hold the original Outpost up on too high of a pedestal, but I wish they just left it as a one-off.
    I'm kind of OK with Outpost 2 though indeed, it didn't hold up quite as well as the first one. Unfortunately this was a perfectly predictable step-down since many film franchises suffer from it. I had hoped Outpost would have been different though.
    I really need to get around to watching 'Outpost,' then.