The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'd heard they were going ahead with a Leprechaun reboot, sans Davis. Being a horror fan, i'll have to see it for myself, but my expectations wont be high.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't really blame Davis for not wanting to return to this.
  • He did want to return (except for a sequel). They just didn't ask him and went ahead and rebooted the series.

Although he's been getting much more attention and fame for his last few projects with Gervais and Merchant (Lifes Too Short, Idiot Abroad 3, etc) than he ever did with Leprechaun. He's become more of a celebrity in the UK now than he's ever been so why would he want to go back to a franchise that died after the first film?

Even without Davis though, it can't get any worse than the last few sequels. Can it?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Even without Davis though, it can't get any worse than the last few sequels. Can it?

It's WWE: Therefore, it can. X_X
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837

It's WWE: Therefore, it can. X_X

It's not in space or "tha hood" so it's automatically better than the last few. Still doesn't seem worth my money though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Having seen American Mary, i've posted my thougths in the 'Last Movie Watched' thread. It's up with The Inkeepers as one of my favourite Horror films of this decade, so far.

And I think i'm in love with the Soska sisters. :x They have a love of horror films, and I want to know what they're gonna make next.
    Albeit a set photo, it's still something, nonetheless: the first look at 'Insidious Chapter II.' I'm so happy to know that filming has begun. Can't wait to see what they do with it:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99541
    While the first film felt like the short stretched into a feature, there were some genuinely scary moments in Nicholas McCarthy’s Sundance haunter The Pact. It apparently did well internationally as Content has commenced pre-sales on horror title The Pact 2 at the ongoing EFM, stated Screen Daily.

“The sequel takes place weeks after Annie Barlow’s confrontation with the Judas Killer from the first film. In Pact 2 a new protagonist, June, is terrified by lucid nightmares that impact on her waking life.”

Dallas Hallam and Patrick Horvath wrote and will direct the sequel, which starts shooing in spring.
    New trailer and poster for 'The Conjuring,' which looks incredibly freaky. It says 'new trailer,' so I'm not sure if there was already a trailer released in the past:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/27/new-trailer-and-poster-for-the-conjuring?abthid=512e9930207723021600002d
    Bad news just released, in my opinion: not only are they working on a sequel to the incredibly dull 'Sinister,' but 'Insidious Chapter 2' has been moved back by about three weeks:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=101014
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Good news for fans of Amber Heard and the film that brought her to the attention of horror fans, All The Boys Love Mandy Lane , 7 years after it's festival debut, it's getting a limited US theatrical run:

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/news?name=believe-it-or-not-all-the-boys-love-mandy-lane-is-finally-getting-a-us-release

To be honest, I wasn't that keen on the film.
    @MajorDSmythe, while I was reading up on that article a few days ago, I heard that it's been out for years in numerous countries on DVD. Why a limited theatrical run now?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm fond of the film's title, much less of the film itself. ;-) But the title is awesome.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe, while I was reading up on that article a few days ago, I heard that it's been out for years in numerous countries on DVD. Why a limited theatrical run now?

Honestly, I have no idea. :-?? I can't recall Mandy Lane having as positive a reception as say... The House Of The Devil. So this re-release, it's baffling.
    @MajorDSmythe, even with 'The House of the Devil,' I could understand a re-release or even the cool VHS collectible they did. But with this and the reviews, I just don't understand.
    Release date + teaser trailer for Hatchet III

MPI/Dark Sky Films announced today that Hatchet III will be released on June 14, and has also shared with us the film’s first teaser trailer! Hatchet III is set to open in New York City’s Cinema Village and in Los Angeles at Laemmle Music Hall. Opening week will feature special appearances by cast and crew, followed by Q&A’s at each location. Additional cities will be announced at a later date.

The film marks the directorial debut of BJ McDonnell who previously has handled A and B camera operations on such features as Rob Zombie’s Halloween remake, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and Adam Green’s first two Hatchet films. Danielle Harris and Kane Hodder return in Hatchet III and are joined by Zach Galligan (Gremlins), Derek Mears (Friday the 13th 2009), Caroline Williams (Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2), Sean Whalen (The People Under the Stairs) and others.

“The film continues the tale of the now-iconic villain Victor Crowley (Kane Hodder). As a search and recovery team heads into the haunted swamp to pick up the pieces and carnage left behind from the first two films, Marybeth (Danielle Harris) hunts down the true secret to ending the voodoo curse that has left the ghost of Victor Crowley haunting and terrorizing Honey Island Swamp for decades.“

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3224147/hatchet-iii-has-a-release-date-new-trailer/
    It's been on and off more times than all the lights in my house, but it looks like Evil Dead IV / Army Of Darkness II might be back on...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36976

What I want to see is an adaption of the Army Of Darkness vs Re Animator comic series. Come on, it's got to be done while Campbell & Combs could still play their respective characters.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Nice! Although if they're making a 4th one anyway I don't see the point in the remake (although I don't see the point anyway, actually)?

Speaking of which, did anybody see the remake? Is it any good?
    I've been awaiting this since it was screened about two years ago, and even more when I found out that a lot of the people who worked on 'V/H/S' also worked on this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/youre-next-trailer-youre-going-to-reap-just-what-you-sow/

Thoughts?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've been awaiting this since it was screened about two years ago, and even more when I found out that a lot of the people who worked on 'V/H/S' also worked on this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/youre-next-trailer-youre-going-to-reap-just-what-you-sow/

Thoughts?

I love the trailer! I think I'm gonna see this one. A slight discomfort popped up as I noticed we're dealing with grown-ups rather than a bunch of promiscuous teens but hey, they can't all be like Friday the 13th, can they? ;-)

One more thing: it looks surprisingly similar in concept to 'The Strangers'.

edited March 2013 Posts: 40,490
    @DarthDimi, that's what a lot of comments seemed to focus on: 'I liked it when it was called 'The Strangers.' or 'This looks like a proper sequel to 'The Strangers.'

I would have preferred to see one of the quiet/pacifist members of the family be the one to 'rise up,' just like the remake of 'The Hills Have Eyes,' but it should still be good. I just feel like a big formula these days is having others do all the work, and then the bumbling, crying, clueless female they put in the film is the one to escape. Nice to see it turned upside down and have her fending off the villains, ala 'The Descent.'

They keep stating that it's a total twist to the horror genre, but the trailer doesn't prove otherwise. I'm sure with all of the names attached - especially Ti West - that it will be something different and unique.
    Following on from recent rumours that Raimi is going to start work on writing the screenplay for Army Of Darkness 2:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3226144/as-we-suspected-evil-dead-is-a-sequel-that-will-eventually-leads-to-major-crossover-in-evil-dead-7/

So the new Evil Dead isn't a remake, but a sequel. Not only that, but Army Of Darkness 2 will be both the 4th film in the old Evil Dead series, and the 4th film in the new series?

Maybe there's a chance of a sequel the the Friday The 13th reboot (which itself was a sort of sequel) and a sequel to the original series.
    So the new Evil Dead isn't a remake, but a sequel. Not only that, but Army Of Darkness 2 will be both the 4th film in the old Evil Dead series, and the 4th film in the new series?

First it gets good reviews then I find out it's a sequel. I'm going to have to see the new movie now.
    I could have posted this in the R.I.P thread, but given his work, I feel it's more appropriate here...

Jess Franco (1930-2013)
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3226387/r-i-p-director-jess-franco-1930-2013/

She Killed In Ecstasy
    The Devil Came From Akasava
    Eugenie De Sade

Are the films that came to mind, they also happen to star the bewitching Soledad Miranda. I also have Vampyros Lesbos, but i've not seen it.

R.I.P Jess Franco, a legend has left us.
    The man who gave me
    - Count Dracula
    - Lesbian Vampires
    - Female Vampire a.k.a. Bare-Breasted Vampire
    is gone...

A sad day. R.I.P.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,894
    More sad news, i'm afraid:

Richard Brooker (1954 - 2013)

friday-the-13th-part-iii-1.jpg

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3227383/r-i-p-richard-brooker-1954-2013/

My favourite Jason in my favourite Friday film.

R.I.P.
    The first hockey mask donning Jason? No way...
    R.I.P.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    The first hockey mask donning Jason? No way...
    R.I.P.

And what's more, he wasn't even that old.
    RIP. The first incarnation of the iconic Jason we all know and love (although personally Hodder is my favourite). A true slasher icon.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I'm looking forward to seeing the new Evil Dead this week. I love the campy original film.
    I might try and catch it on a double with Sam Raimi's new Great and Powerful Oz film.

I think the new Evil Dead is as much a remake as a sequel. It could kind of be both, in that the new director re-visits the originl scenario but with new characters, thus a form of re-make, but also a sequel if the original continuity stands-up as history too.