The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It may sound a bit gimmick-y, but I like how there's going to be a limited edition of V/H/S released on, you guessed it... VHS. So that'll make it the last film to be released on the format.

'House of the Devil' was released on VHS, as well.

Was it?

Edit:

You're right.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-THE-HOUSE-OF-THE-DEVIL-GORGON-BIG-BOX-HORROR-VHS-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-/160943855348?pt=VHS&hash=item25790056f4

So VHS isn't entirely dead. \m/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Even if you wouldn't watch it on VHS, West's films would be great to own a copy of in that format, just for a collector's item.
  • but has anyone here seen the Psycho or Exorcist sequels? I really want to get into the Psycho sequels but after looking at some information about the other Exorcist films I may have to stay away.

I thought Exorcist 2 was crap but 3 was actually pretty good.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Texas-Chainsaw-3D-Rings-Year-With-Chilling-Teaser-34829.html

Can't wait.
    @thelivingroyale, I was watching a video of some of the best jump scare moments in horror films the other night, and something from 'The Exorcist 3' was on there, I think - some long hallway shot with a nurse exiting a door, and a statue grabs her or something? I don't remember exactly, and it may not have been that one - I've only seen the original 'The Exorcist,' and came close to watching the newer one with Izabella Scorupco.

I was also searching through my Netflix Queue tonight and came across a nice little surprise: they added 'V/H/S,' which I didn't even know was available yet. I'll be getting to this soon enough.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    All these "horror" films with their gore and generic slasher killers with cheap scares, and yet Norman Bates chillingly yelling at Marion surrounded by stuffed birds is still more frightening.
    The 21st Century has delivered many, many scare-filled horror films - I'm looking at you 'The Descent' and 'Insidious.' Both of those give me chills just thinking about them, and now that I think about it, that may be one of my most anticipated films of this year: 'Insidious: Chapter Two,' or whatever the working title is.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There are some great exceptions, like the Scream trilogy. I have said this before, and I will say it again: Thrillers and mysteries scare me more than today's classification of "horror" films. For me, nothing can surpass 1978's Halloween for pure scares and tension. Carpenter really understood how to portray a monster, showing Michael as little as possible to build up the tension. Fear is most potent when you can't see it, and far shots or quick glimpses of Michael in and out of the shadows keep you on the edge of your seat. That way your head does all the work, wondering where he is and when he will strike. Why is he here? What is his motive? All this and more make and you become more scared because of it. And then there is the supernatural element to Michael. Is he just a mortal man, or an immortal blood-thristy killer?

Thrillers and mysteries are very compelling as well, it must be noted. Zodiac and Se7en are chilling examples, where the killer is in fact just a normal man, and not the built up monster that was created in the minds of the victims and those surrounding the killer's area of operation. And because the Zodiac killer or John Doe are just human beings, like all of us, we are frightened by the notion that they are one of us. That they are of our species, and that we ourselves could turn into what they had. The monster takes on a whole different (and frightening) form when you realize they are just like you.
    Fincher has a great way of putting an even eerier feel on something that has incredibly creepy source material to begin with - one of my favorite directors, that man. And yes, Carpenter did some absolutely wonderful work with 'Halloween' - the scares and tension from that film are still hard to surpass, especially that hair-raising ending.

Carpenter's 'The Thing' still stands as my favorite horror film of all time: just the questioning of who is really who and what's about to happen next still gets me, even when I know the fate of everyone. Seeing the insane downfall of the camp in a matter of hours with Russell's RJ MacReady at the helm makes it a film that I can countlessly watch and never tire of it.
    I need to see Carpenter's The Thing.

And I agree fully about Fincher. If anyone has to direct a thriller/mystery, I want Fincher. He is my go to director for that great content, and he does it so well. Se7en is a chilling portrayal of a deranged man who is just like us, committing the very sins he obsesses with. Zodiac is a frighteningly eerie adaption of real life events that completely captures the real fear and biting paranoia California felt in the killer's deadly grip. And The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a portrayal of two broken individuals digging deep into the shattered history of an equally shattered family, all against the backdrop of an intense snowy atmosphere. All so different, yet connected by the way Fincher captures the compelling killers, the bleak events, and the striking atmosphere. Filmmaking at some of its best.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,468
    That's what I loved about 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' - the bleak, snowy, dark feeling the entire film entailed, just enhancing the question of what really happened to Harriet. What an amazing film.

I agree with you in the mystery/thriller field: Fincher handles it wonderfully. Some of those crime scenes they stumble upon in 'Se7en' were just made to look even more frightening because of the dark shadows that Fincher goes with.
    I love to watch Dragon Tattoo in the wintertime. You connect to the cold environment and it sets the mood so well when the weather outside matches that of the film and what the characters themselves are feeling. The atmosphere is so palpable in that film you truly feel the cold. And it is so strikingly beautiful, as is most of Fincher's work, still retaining that hint of grime and grunge we expect from him.
    I remember when I saw it in theaters a day after its release in 2011, and I stepped out feeling just like Blomkvist: bitter cold out, I'm bundled up in my winter peacoat, and I light up my cigarette and walk off to the car. I just felt like I connected with him as soon as I walked out into the drastically freezing weather.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    All these "horror" films with their gore and generic slasher killers with cheap scares, and yet Norman Bates chillingly yelling at Marion surrounded by stuffed birds is still more frightening.

That's one hell of a of a sweeping statement. There are plenty of actual horror films made before and after Pshycho, that are much better films, imo. Not all horror films contain "generic slasher killers with cheap scares" as you put it. Often, I feel it's non-Horror Hitchock fans that dare I say it, overpraise Psycho. Psycho may be a good film, but I don't personaly consider it a horror film.

Some TCM news...

IGN's review of Texas Chainsaw 3D (4/10)
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/04/texas-chainsaw-3d-review

B-D's review of Texas Chainsaw 3D (3/5)
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3211515/bd-review-jonny-gives-his-take-on-texas-chainsaw-3d/

Texas Chainsaw 3D Dominates Domestic Jan Box Office
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3211812/horror-dominates-january-box-officie-again-texas-chainsaw-3d-1/

And following that news, it's unsurprising that the next news is about the immediate future of the TTCM films...

The Sawyer Family Will Return In Texas Chainsaw 3D Sequel
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3211837/the-sawyer-family-will-return-in-texas-chainsaw-3d-sequel/
  • I'm seeing it when it comes out on the 9th. I hope the sequel gets better reviews.
    There are some great exceptions, like the Scream trilogy.

I honestly don't think any of the Scream films are scary. I liked 1 and 4 because they were entertaining and had sort of a tongue in cheek style, but none of the Ghostfaces ever scared me.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I'm seeing it when it comes out on the 9th. I hope the sequel gets better reviews.

I honestly don't think any of the Scream films are scary. I liked 1 and 4 because they were entertaining and had sort of a tongue in cheek style, but none of the Ghostfaces ever scared me.

They don't scare me either, but that's only because I know the trilogy so well after seeing the films over and over since I was little. I first saw them at age 7 or 8, and that was when I was scared by them. I had never been introduced to anything like them, and the films gave me horrible nightmares for a long time afterwards.
    Very few films are genuinely scary. Some are unsettling whilst others rely on gross out scenes and loud bangs to make you jump - but I wouldn't necessarily call these scary. For me the Scream movies are black comedies that are heavenly derivative of older and better movies such as Black Christmas or When a Stranger Calls. That said, I must admit I'm quite enjoying some of the recent spate of horror films such as Sinister, Insidious and The Collector to name but a few. I hope this year will be a good year for horror.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'm seeing it when it comes out on the 9th. I hope the sequel gets better reviews.

They don't scare me either, but that's only because I know the trilogy so well after seeing the films over and over since I was little. I first saw them at age 7 or 8, and that was when I was scared by them. I had never been introduced to anything like them, and the films gave me horrible nightmares for a long time afterwards.

That was like me with Elm Street. I saw it when I was little (first proper horror film I'd ever seen) and I couldn't sleep for ages after because I was scared that Freddy would get me.
    bondsum wrote:
    Very few films are genuinely scary. Some are unsettling whilst others rely on gross out scenes and loud bangs to make you jump - but I wouldn't necessarily call these scary.

True. No horror films I watch now actually scare me. Some might make me jump or creep me out a bit but I never feel scared.
    bondsum wrote:
    Very few films are genuinely scary. Some are unsettling whilst others rely on gross out scenes and loud bangs to make you jump - but I wouldn't necessarily call these scary. For me the Scream movies are black comedies that are heavenly derivative of older and better movies such as Black Christmas or When a Stranger Calls. That said, I must admit I'm quite enjoying some of the recent spate of horror films such as Sinister, Insidious and The Collector to name but a few. I hope this year will be a good year for horror.
    Yeah, it is hard to get scared nowadays. Probably the scariest film I have ever seen is 'Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer'. It is full of strong content and sickening visuals. One scene shows
    men re-watching a tape they filmed while in the act of slaying a family, smiling while they rewind back and forth after the murders in their apartment.
    I was younger when I first saw that too, and I couldn't believe my eyes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay I'm mad now. TC 3D won't play in Belgian theatres. :-O
    DarthDimi wrote:

Have you heard if the 3D is even worth it?
    Nope, but I should specify that the film itself, whether in 2D or 3D, seems completely omitted from cinema programs here. I'm furious!
    @DarthDimi, I wonder why that is. It's a surprising hit here in the States!
    AND I'm bloody eager to see it. Some of those choice, I will never understand. Same thing with Resident Evil 5. I have to wait for the DVD! Flew in and out our cinemas in a sec.
    DarthDimi wrote:

That's odd. Maybe in some way Belgians are seen in an unflattering light during the film's duration and it was completely stripped from any trips to Belgian theaters because of it. Either that or they just know how much you want to see it and are teasing you, @Dimi. :P
    @DarthDimi, I wasn't too crazy about 'Resident Evil 5,' but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it once it is released. When is the release date for your country?
    Looks like the DVD will be released in early February. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Looks like the DVD will be released in early February. ;-)

Coming up soon! I was debating picking it up on blu-ray and giving it another shot, but I don't know. Maybe my thoughts will change on a second viewing - they have in the past - but for right now, I was really disappointed with the movie.
    Yeah, it is hard to get scared nowadays. Probably the scariest film I have ever seen is 'Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer'. It is full of strong content and sickening visuals. I was younger when I first saw that too, and I couldn't believe my eyes.
    I saw Henry in the cinema and preferred it to Man Eats Dog which came out roughly about the same time from recollection. It's funny that I separate serial killer movies from the horror genre and see them more akin to crime thrillers. I understand what you mean when you say it was shocking. I felt the same thing about the film based on the life of Richard Ramirez, aka the Nightstalker, because I knew the events were true even though they had been softened for an audience.

On another note, I didn't mind Resident Evil: Retribution. It has its moments and feels more like a multi-platform video game than it does a continuation piece to the other movies but it sets up a better premise for the next installment with an interesting climax.
    Details revealed for the upcoming 'Leprechaun: Origins':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99266
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Details revealed for the upcoming 'Leprechaun: Origins':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99266
    Great, yet another unnecessary reebot, and by WWE no less. I can already tell this'll be a flop. And seriously; how can you get more frightening than THIS:

031612_warwick.jpg

There is no Leprechaun without Warwick Davis.