Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Disney dropped a truck full of money in front of him and bought Star Wars. And produced two quality films which are bested only by Ep. IV and Ep. V. Whatever his opinion, he lost!
  • Sat in cinema rogue one starts in five minutes, cinema packed surprising for Friday at 1pm
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Are they still making Star Wars films then? I saw one once - 1985 I think it was. It looked like a big expensive Muppet show.

\:D/
  • Wow that was awesome I have not grinned so much at the cinema since I was a kid, Rogue Ones biggest strength is it feels totally authentic.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,696
    Donnie Yen has the best line in the film.
    ''Are you serious? I'm blind!''
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    kultschar wrote: »
    Agree with the first half - too much jumping around location wise etc but the second half makes up for the flaws.

Its more deserving of a real Star Wars film then simply a spin off when you think of the other films

Its kind of what Lucas should have done in the final prequel.

Will be interesting to hear what he thinks of it

I have read that he loves it.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Are they still making Star Wars films then? I saw one once - 1985 I think it was. It looked like a big expensive Muppet show.

\:D/

Must have been Return of the Jedi from 1983, the worst of the bunch.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    At first I thought they were taking a risk with
    Tarkin... Though I was buzzing like hell when he appeared, he got more screen time than I expected maybe too much exposure though I can overlook it because it was awesome. Loved seeing some of the fighter pilots from A New Hope, Vader kicking ass is worth the price of admission alone. In the end I did care about the characters more than I expected, this film is truly stunning visually.

This time last year I watched The Force Awakens and I have to say on first viewings I enjoyed Rogue One the most.
    Just a quickie: vastly superior to the overhyped Force Awakens. It's interesting to see the differences the two directors have playing in the same Lucas sandbox, and it's no surprise that Rogue One wins on the visual side by a long, long way. I thought the first half was way too slow, clunky at times, and lacking in any real charm. Too many sermons passing off as dialogue, too. I also felt nothing at all for the characters, apart from the robot. It's not perfect, it's lacking the presence of the Big Bad Wolf that was sidelined in this story - a big mistake. Though it recovers enough in the final 20 minutes to forget about its stuttering start and sagging middle.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    Just a quickie: vastly superior to the overhyped Force Awakens. It's interesting to see the differences the two directors have playing in the same Lucas sandbox, and it's no surprise that Rogue One wins on the visual side by a long, long way. I thought the first half was way too slow, clunky at times, and lacking in any real charm. Too many sermons passing off as dialogue, too. I also felt nothing at all for the characters, apart from the robot. It's not perfect, it's lacking the presence of the Big Bad Wolf that was sidelined in this story - a big mistake. Though it recovers enough in the final 20 minutes to forget about its stuttering start and sagging middle.

Very fair assessment, I would say.
    [img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]Just watched TFA after RotJ and I have to say; muy muy, mesa liken tis!

Watching Star Wars from Rogue One through TFA, I felt like I was watching Star Wars and not some cgi cartoons with the Star Wars name attached to them.

The worst offender(s) ; the ewoks. That bit could be from a cartoon.

And it was.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    kultschar wrote: »

Its kind of what Lucas should have done in the final prequel.

Will be interesting to hear what he thinks of it

He loved it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Disney dropped a truck full of money in front of him and bought Star Wars.

$4 billion to be exact.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,186
    The big STAR WARS film I'm waiting for is EPISODE 8, I can take or leave Rogue One.

Major Spoilers an interesting look at the Rogue One reshoots.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Just came back from it. Not bad. Visually stunning, and the battle at the end is indeed truly epic and impressively shot. The film also has a much darker and gritter flavour to it than any SW film before.

Felicity Jones is much better than I thought she would be, and Forest Whitaker nails it as always.

The film didn't touch an emotional nerve for me like TFA did however. I didn't quite get into any of the characters all that much and so wasn't too interested in what happened to any of them. I'd go so far as to say that character development was rather weak in this film. Michael Giacchino did a reasonable job with the score, but he didn't quite live up to the phenomenal level of the legendary John Williams. The score lacked some of the epic quality that Williams so readily brings.

So it was ok, but to me is 'filler' until the real deal arrives next year.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Saw it tonight and was pleasantly surprised. It was far better than I thought it was going to be and a better experience than The Force Awakens. Parts of it were simply kickass.
  • Saw it tonight and was pleasantly surprised. It was far better than I thought it was going to be and a better experience than The Force Awakens. Parts of it were simply kickass.

That's what I thought my expectations were middling almost put off going today, though very glad I went to see it.

• edited December 2016 Posts: 3,333
    The problem that Rogue One has is that it takes itself far too seriously, despite the insertion of comical robot and the annoying Ruiz Ahmed. Yep, I know he's a gifted actor but he just annoyed the hell out of me. If TFA had a heart it was only because it surgically borrowed it wholesale from Star Wars 1977. RO lacks a proper beating heart, I'm sad to say, which is a shame as the production values have set the bar much higher than J.J. Abrams was capable of showing us. The fear that this movie had borrowed elements from the Dirty Dozen (which know-nothing Twitter user said that?) never materialised. Though I did spot nods to Where Eagles Dare at certain points.

I didn't have a problem with the score, I thought Giacchino did a sterling job. Only misstep was his 3 second fanfare that he was asked to compose at the odd insertion of the movies title card. Other than that, if I'm honest, I didn't miss Williams as much as I had thought I would. Giacchino will make a worthy replacement, when that day comes, as he demonstrates he understands the source material.

Make no mistake, the film looks gorgeous. Probably the best looking SW movie since the first two. If I was J.J. Abrams I'd be huddled up in a corner quietly sobbing, as Edwards clearly demonstrates his superiority in directing the battle scenes, especially the climatic finale. It leaves the TFW's limp battles standing still.

One thing that bothers me about these stories as they progress, and this isn't aimed at RO specifically, is the Stormtroopers and how useless their body armour is. Just what purpose does all that restrictive clobber serve if all it takes is one zap from a laser bolt, or one halfhearted punch thrown their way, and they're out for the count? It would seem the Empire's Achilles heel isn't the Death Star's exhaust system, but the useless body armour that their soldiers are forced to wear. It almost makes their presence comical and none threatening and negates any threat that they might pose. For me, it just takes me out of the moment too much when they're in a battle.

Go see it in 3D. It honestly looks gorgeous at times.
    The balance of darkness and light is something that is debated everyday re Bond movies so its not surprising that the same debate is to be had re Star Wars...its all down to personal choice, there are no rules.
    Re the Stormtroopers armour, if you start thinking about fairy tales in such detail, you just spoil it for yourself....just chill and enjoy :-)
    Yeah, don't try to think how elite soldiers were beaten by a bunch of teddy bears with sticks and rocks or how stormtroopers have such a bad aim :p
    All I cared about was seeing Vader lay down his pimp hand. I damn near had a heart attack.
    patb wrote: »
    The balance of darkness and light is something that is debated everyday re Bond movies so its not surprising that the same debate is to be had re Star Wars...its all down to personal choice, there are no rules.
    Re the Stormtroopers armour, if you start thinking about fairy tales in such detail, you just spoil it for yourself....just chill and enjoy :-)
    Ha ha. Next you'll be telling me it's only a movie, always the go-to proclamation to defend the indefensible. I'll add that SW is not in fact a fairytale. It's an extremely well thought out universe with its own Encyclopaedia. It's just that the useless body armour has never been addressed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    doubleoego wrote: »
    All I cared about was seeing Vader lay down his pimp hand. I damn near had a heart attack.

That scene was beastly in its badass proportions. I was worried they wouldn't tie it all together well, and the battle for the plans finished and I still couldn't see how they were going to pull it off. Then those two minutes happened and it blew my socks off. What a great ending.
    Agreed.

I dare say that Rogue One solved a few of the problems I've always had with Star Wars but chose to ignore.
    1) How did the rebels get the plans of the Death Star aboard the Tantive IV?

2) How did Vader know which ship to board in search of the plans?

3) Most of all: how can such a sophisticated weapon like the Death Star possess such a structural weakness as exploited by the rebels during the Battle Of Yavin.

Now I know, and especially issue #3 isn't an issue any more. Rogue One, in a sense, made Star Wars a better film. The last few minutes of the film glued Rogue One to Star Wars. This is the type of prequel we really wanted, George. :)

Question for the room: how do we feel about Peter Cushing? I'm a fan of the man; seriously, he's my favourite HOW.CAN.THE.BOND.FILMS.NOT.HAVE.HIRED.HIM? enigma. The fact that
    they CGI'd his likeness and hired someone to do a spot-on voice imitation of Cushing

isn't a problem for me, in fact it's an indulgence! I rather like the result and disagree with that critic cited in the wikipedia page of Rogue One who attacks this particular element of the film.
  • @DarthDimi
    There were times I thought that we were seeing too much of Tarkin, which ultimately made me more aware he was CGI. After the film ended I was very suprised and applaud Edwards for going there with Tarkin (Tarkin has more screen time in Rogue One than he does in A New Hope), this film took big risks and I can only applaud that. During the film I said to myself several times 'this is amazing', as a big Star Wars fan I loved this film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Here we are pretty proud that Norwegian
    Ingvild Deila
    is Princesss Leia.

I just got tickets for tomorrow. Looking forward to Darth Dimi Vader most of all.
    I know it's anecdotal and whatnot but a number of people I know who aren't die hard fans had no clue
    Tarkin was cgi and we're in utter disbelief that Cushing's been gone for over 20 years.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I know it's anecdotal and whatnot but a number of people I know who aren't die hard fans had no clue
    Tarkin was cgi and we're in utter disbelief that Cushing's been gone for over 20 years.

That's testament to how far the technology has come, must admit whilst watching Rogue One I thought how far away are we from hypothetically having
    a young Sean Connery in a Bond film like Tarkin, it will probably never happen though the capability is there.

I know, right? Actors better watch out. The possibilities of this technology is both awesome and a little scary.
  • I wonder if Cushing's estate was paid due to use of his image, it's totally different to using previously filmed footage.
    They got a thank you in the end titles. Does that count? :D