Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

Can't wait to watch this tonight!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just got back from seeing this.

The cinema was packed...that early! Anyway, awesome movie...I'm still smiling at how great it is. They out did themselves and the third act...I literally had tears in my eyes at how beautiful it was seeing
    Vader boarding and using his light sabre and the force and then seeing princess Leia

For that alone was worth price of admission.
    Seeing this again tomorrow night.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,813
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Vader boarding and using his light sabre and the force and then seeing princess Leia

DAMN IT!! Why is my will so weak?? WHY did I click that?

I'd better excuse myself from the internet till I see this movie!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I was very tempted, but am thankful that I didn't click on it. Damn excited to be seeing this tomorrow!
  • DON'T....YOU....DO ITTTT!!!!!!

113561-4e752fb470ef71728064574aabedd775.jpg
    Honestly, if you can, go into this movie as blind as possible you will not be disappointed!

I need to watch ANH like right now.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just went and saw it again!
    SECOND TIME IN UNDER 24 HOURS!

I still think the third act is AWESOME!!! Tears in my eyes. TEARS!!!!
    VADER! DID YOU SEE WHAT HE DID THERE?

Will be watching ANH as soon as I get home.
    Jimmy Smits... a surprising link with the prequels...

I have but one complaint:
    The opening scroll? Okay, we don't get it, fine, but the title projection came with a weak score. Overall, not enthralled by the score. Lacks... punch.

I've heard that others are complaining about
    Cushing. You have NO idea how much I love his return! I mean, the CGI didn't let me down!
    So I have to ask
    Are there any lightsaber battles in this film?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    So I have to ask
    Are there any lightsaber battles in this film?

One word.
    Vader

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Just went and saw it again!
    SECOND TIME IN UNDER 24 HOURS!

I still think the third act is AWESOME!!! Tears in my eyes. TEARS!!!!
    VADER! DID YOU SEE WHAT HE DID THERE?

Yes. Yes I did and it was bloody phenomenal! It was horrifyingly badass.
    Will be watching ANH as soon as I get home.

Likewise.
    Jimmy Smits... a surprising link with the prequels...

When I saw him I knew who else would show up.
    I have but one complaint:
    The opening scroll? Okay, we don't get it, fine, but the title projection came with a weak score. Overall, not enthralled by the score. Lacks... punch.

I actually thought the score was great and thought it did a great job respecting and honouring the OT as well as standing out on its own.
    I've heard that others are complaining about
    Cushing. You have NO idea how much I love his return! I mean, the CGI didn't let me down!

I've heard a few complaints too about how it's distracting but I didn't have a problem with it. I lapped up everything this film served up.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,692
    @doubleoego The 2 standouts for me were the K2 robot and Donnie Yen. The whole film was superb, but these 2 guys were off the charts.
    If you must know:
    No. Vader is seen using his lightsaber against rebels literally moments before ANH begins, but he doesn't duel with anyone.
    @doubleoego The 2 standouts for me were the K2 robot and Donnie Yen. The whole film was superb, but these 2 guys were off the charts.

Both were great and Yen was, as per usual a badass. This film worked for me on so many levels.
    Booked my tickets for Saturday, was desperate to go to the midnight showing last night but promised my boys I would watch it with them.
    Its early days but the reviews look good and I trust you guys in terms of early reviews. On a different note, does this show that Disney (and therefore other firms) can produce relatively quick turnarounds and keep the quality? It makes you wonder.....
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If you must know:
    No. Vader is seen using his lightsaber against rebels literally moments before ANH begins, but he doesn't duel with anyone.

hmm
    now I don't want to see it sorry but the light saber battles are the best part of any Star Wars movie

If you mean that, @Risico007, you'll end up regretting that, quite sure. :)
    I don't think so
    You won't watch the movie for that reason? :D Are you kidding me?
    Serious I no longer have interest I will likely see it because my friends want to go but this will likely not be one for me
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,692
    I just came back from a 2nd viewing of Rogue One. Only other film that I have payed to see on 2 consecutive days was CR back in 2006. This rewatch was 10 times better than the yesterday's fantastic discovery of the film. The action is top notch, just the right dose of humour, and jesus christ is the climax simply perfect. Usually I get bored of climaxes the more I see them, but for Rogue One is just gets better. Those space battles are the best ever. Just non-stop action for the entire third act. Oh, and Donnie Yen is just friggin awesome.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Well, wow, that was awesome! Also @DarthDimi
    It makes sense to me for this one not to have a rolling scroll - the film is essentially the opening scroll of A New Hope - Rogue One itself is the rolling scroll.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    doubleoego wrote: »

DAMN IT!! Why is my will so weak?? WHY did I click that?

I'd better excuse myself from the internet till I see this movie!

darth-vader-no.jpg
  • Not perfect but the finale.... holy crap! may be one of the best in the series!!!

The last third of the film is better then anything since the original trilogy!!
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    I never really cared for this series. Acting was mediocre, characters were one-dimensional, writing was weak. It had good costumes and stage setting, but most of the visuals were outdated due to advances in film technology.

I know the original was the first escapist fantasy sci-fi movie ever and it was immensely influential but that doesn't mean I'd want to watch it again. Empire Strikes Back did everything a little bit better but still was a 7/10 at best. Return of the Jedi was my favorite of the 3, probably because I wanted to see how it ended and I got a little invested in the characters by then.

I saw the Phantom Menace for 20 minutes and just shut it off. I think I'll be avoiding the prequel trilogy but I may give Revenge of the Sith someday because it got good reviews.

I saw the Force Awakens while I was stoned, and I loved it. I'll be open to the next entry.
  • Oh wow they're already working on the sequel to Rogue One!!

15589513_1317086761687558_5700061026993264956_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=161a396163ef6f72002d6d70f897b557&oe=58F02D91

;)
  • RC7RC7
    Thought the characters were a little flimsy and the story did nothing unexpected or particularly interesting. Production design was excellent. Vader was excellent. A lot of fun, but do sense that people are getting carried away again. Fully expect VIII to also be dubbed the 'Best since Empire'. I definitely need to watch again, but for whatever reason there were fleeting moments where I was bored and that took me by surprise.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,257
    What a thrill ride! It started a bit slow and choppy but it was all uphill from there. That final act was incredible and worth the price of admission alone! The space battles were perfectly done and the ground war was extremely intense. I kept hearing over the past year how well Gareth Edwards shows scale, and those voices are absolutely right.

Lots of fun surprises, familiar faces, and even some solid retconning that Star Wars fans should love. Definitely recommended. I'll be seeing it again this weekend.

And my God...
    that Vader scene =D>
    What a thrill ride! It started a bit slow and choppy but it was all uphill from there. That final act was incredible and worth the price of admission alone! The space battles were perfectly done and the ground war was extremely intense. I kept hearing over the past year how well Gareth Edwards shows scale, and those voices are absolutely right.

Lots of fun surprises, familiar faces, and even some solid retconning that Star Wars fans should love. Definitely recommended. I'll be seeing it again this weekend.

And my God...
    that Vader scene =D>

Yeah the start moved very quickly from one place to the next - made me think of QoS actually - I was sat there thinking - slow down, let me get to know the characters - but it was definitely uphill from there.
  • RC7RC7
    tanaka123 wrote: »

And my God...
    that Vader scene =D>

Yeah the start moved very quickly from one place to the next - made me think of QoS actually - I was sat there thinking - slow down, let me get to know the characters - but it was definitely uphill from there.

It certainly settled, but they'd have benefitted from cutting down the principal cast and fleshing out the key characters more. I think Riz Ahmed is a good actor, but there's very little semblance of a character there. Jyn's arc is also messy. It's a shame because we all know, pretty much, how it's going to go down so I needed to be invested in the characters way more.
  • Agree with the first half - too much jumping around location wise etc but the second half makes up for the flaws.

Its more deserving of a real Star Wars film then simply a spin off when you think of the other films

Its kind of what Lucas should have done in the final prequel.

Will be interesting to hear what he thinks of it