Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Just saw the new trailer. Holy Crap. Yea i hate to say it but this movie is totally beating Spectre in the box office

Even the box office successes of the Prequel Trilogy proved that.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I loved the trailer ;-). BUT, it builds up to this wunderful climax that reminds me of "SPECTRE":

Han Solo: "Chewie, we're home!"

Just put some of the most iconic characters at the end. Reminds me of Bond vs. Blofeld/Oberhauser:

Oberhauser: "And finally...here we are!"

I definately will see this film by the way! So excited to see Chewbacca and Han Solo back! And.....Han still looks the part! Can't believe Harrison Ford is already 73!
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Just saw the new trailer. Holy Crap. Yea i hate to say it but this movie is totally beating Spectre in the box office

Even the box office successes of the Prequel Trilogy proved that.

That was already a foregone conclusion last year @Agent007391 and @fjdinardo :-). Nothing wrong with that. This movie will also beat "Avengers 2". I guess minimum box office result for "Star Wars 7": $1.9 Billion globally ;-).

I always said "SPECTRE" will most certainly beat the $1.2 Billion, so financially it'll do better than "Skyfall". The fact is: 2015 is an insane box office year. In 2014 $1.0 Billion for "Transformers" was enough for no# 1 spot globally. Not this year.

Let's hope "SPECTRE" is able to beat "Furious 7" for 3rd spot ;-).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    While I hate Jar Jar in the Prequels, I adore him in the Robot Chicken universe. =))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I don't think BO comparisons between Star Wars and Bond will ever be fair. Star Wars generally has a wider appeal, I think, because its target demographic, especially in terms of merchandising, includes kids far more directly than the current Bonds do. Now whether this holds up for a JJ Abrams film is yet to be seen. Looks like this SW is taking itself very seriously, i.e. going for something much more mature than "Roger Roger" droids fighting Gungans with blue shining balls for projectiles. On the other hand, it's a Disney project now, so... And kids bring money. If the hilariously bad Rio 2 can easily over-perform at 500 million, if the retarded Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked can fart up 342 million, then the kid market is obviously a financial super-farm. So maybe even this SW, despite its more grown-up appeal, can drag entire families to the theatre.

Spectre, by contrast, will excite a couple boys who, like many of us when we were younger, really dig that Bond character, but I think the big money will have to come from adolescents and older and that group tends to spend its movie money less impulsively. So while there's a chance that Spectre can beat SW, I don't necessarily think it would be a shame if it didn't.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    There isn't a chance that ANY movie will beat the new SW film. I will make 2 B at least worldwide. There's just entirely too much pent up need to see Luke, Leia & Han again, if only in cameos. JJ know how to manipulate the audience. I predict a return to audible gasping & clapping...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think I saw a Star Wars film once..1980 something it was.

I will still be analysing SP and coming down off the ceiling from that film...SW7 may just about pass me by.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thank you, Disney. We love you.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,569
    Yeah I like what they're doing with the Marvel stuff and now this... I gotta start rethinking my former scepticism.

Edit:
    I usually hate these people but okay, at least this time they do something right.
    Shame on all of you that no one told me there´s a new teaser!
    I could restrict myself during most of it, but when I heard Han´s voice I got goosebumps all over!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

I cat tell if its new or from ROTJ. I'm on my phone so I cant compare the clips very well but here is the original:

I think it is from ROTJ. Great, JJ!!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I wasn't quite that emotional, but yeah. :D
    I came pretty close. :P
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Eh, he was probably just crying because he couldn't see the Lincoln logo on the front of the Millennium Falcon.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,691
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I came pretty close. :P
    It's our childhood, our mythos. Anyone watching that trailer without at least a hint of a tear in their eye doesn't completely 'get' it IMHO.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I cried a little bit. Much like when I did when Old Spock appeared in the Star Trek 2009 trailer.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I cried a little bit. Much like when I did when Old Spock appeared in the Star Trek 2009 trailer.
    Exactly! JJ does know how to sock it to us.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    JJ Abrams quickly become one person I associate with 'stuff I will love'. First noticed him with LOST (even if he was not that involved), M:i:3 (simply epic cinematic experience), then 'Fringe (same as LOST), Star Trek 2009, Super 8, Into Darkness and now SW7.
    JJ Abrams quickly become one person I associate with 'stuff I will love'. First noticed him with LOST (even if he was not that involved), M:i:3 (simply epic cinematic experience), then 'Fringe (same as LOST), Star Trek 2009, Super 8, Into Darkness and now SW7.

Yep he seems to be involved in stuff I really like from my youth and then give it a fresh point of view.

For me personally I feel that we finaly get the SW movies that we deserve as the prequels were a bit MEH.

@SaintMark, I agree! Abrams seems to understand that applying modern filmmaking techniques and aesthetics doesn't necessarily mean diluting or steering away from older glory; that, if anything, these modern techniques help to revive the old glory.

I used to be very apologetic towards the SW prequels. Make the space ships more curved and shiny, create digital characters and show things that are bathing in fluorescence, glitter and unrealistic colours. Why? Because we can! And the story? I went with it because I got a few satisfying answers to old questions. The things I didn't like, like happy coincidences (Anakin building 3PO and such), I tried to forget about. I figured that after 16 years since Jedi, it wouldn't have been fair of us to expect a copy of Empire.

How wrong I was. Abrams is the film equivalent of the old classicist painters: let's grab the best things modern arts give, not to jump away from the good things of long ago but to convincingly return to those older things and make them a party for all generations; old and young.

These two teaser trailers so far have told me two things:
    - If the prequels felt like plastic, the next SW will feel like the real thing. CGI will be put to proper use. If we need grass or sand or snow or trees or water, we'll get real grass, sand, snow, trees and water! Space ships will not be like they are the result of some highly perfumed photoshop job; they'll resemble the miniatures from the old days but then slightly more detailed and cleaned up.
    - This film is not about selling toys; it won't put dozens of silly Cone Trooper vehicles and ships on screen in order to support heavy merchandising. There will not be a Clone Wars tv series for kids to build a bigger fan base. Abrams cares about the films, the legacy, the myth. As with Star Trek, some comics might be the closest thing to merchandising we get.

I'll be honest, about a year or so ago, when learning that SW had been sold to Disney, I felt sick. I said to myself, "that's it, boy, at 33, you'll no longer be part of the SW demographic". Then Abrams' name is attached to the project and then they release that first trailer. Now I'm almost concerned I might be too young for the film. ;-) I wasn't even born yet when SW and Empire were released; I got into the magic after the fact! And from what I can tell, Abrams is taking us right back to those days, to when SW was on everybody's mind! If he pulls this one off, Abrams will be up there along with Chris Nolan in my list of favourite modern SF/fantasy/superhero filmmakers.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,691
    @DarthDimi my 3 favorite SF directors today that I will watch every new film they will make: Nolan, Abrams, Blompkan.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Eh, he was probably just crying because he couldn't see the Lincoln logo on the front of the Millennium Falcon.

=))
    @DaltonCraig007, so far I've only seen Blomkamp's District 9 and Elysium. Haven't bene able to watch the robot film yet. But those two are great IMO and if this guy wants to make another Alien movie, I'd say let him! I can definitely see it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, so far I've only seen Blomkamp's District 9 and Elysium. Haven't bene able to watch the robot film yet. But those two are great IMO and if this guy wants to make another Alien movie, I'd say let him! I can definitely see it.

It's ignoring Alien 3, correct? See, I wish it wasn't. Alien 3 took some harsh cuts, but it wasn't a horrible film, not like Resurrection.
    @Agent007391, I too prefer Alien³ over the goofy Resurrection. Fincher was given a pretty rough time by the Fox folks but his cast and overall crew speaks highly of him and besides, Weaver was a producer on that film. I guess Fox didn't dare go against her so they lashed out to the newbie. In retrospect, fool on them! Look at Fincher's career now. They should have cherished this man.

Anyway, this new Alien will, I believe, ignore a few things, yes, but not deliberately deny them. I.e. it should be possible for us to watch this film after Resurrection. Blomkamp, apparently, just said he'd simply focus more on Alien and Aliens because those are the ones he likes most - like the lot of us I presume. ;-)
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 5,767
    I prefer the surrealism in Resurrection over Alien3, but that doesn´t make 3 a bad film.

That being said, the prospect of having Hicks back but only half of his face is justification enough for me to ignore 3 and 4 this time :D .
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,619
    The one released a year after after Episode VII (and six months before Episode VIII):

CC-Zw1jVAAAbkQb.jpg
    Just saw Avengers: Age of Ultron, caught the Force Awakens trailer in its natural environment, and it was beautiful.
    Can´t wait to see it on the big screen!