Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Eps 4-6; Mark Hamill made me believe!
    Then 3, 2 and 1, sort of in that order... :-/
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    for directing new Star Wars films..

Kevin Smith - lol, no.. but the man knows his Star Wars, that is for sure - and all jokes aside, he is a good writer - he'd be one that I would chose to at least pen an outline for a script just for shiggles lol..

JJ Abrams - Star Trek and Super 8 showcase his incredible directing talent.. i think he'd do a masterful job.

Zach Snyder - loved his work on Watchmen, Sucker Punch and 300, and his Man Of Steel looks promising.. would just need to cut back on the slow-mo - though it would look nice during some intense lightsaber battles.

Neill Blomkamp - District 9 was a phenomenal film, not only from a story standpoint, but from a visual standpoint as well..

Guillermo Del Toro - Pans Labyrinth, the Hell Boy Movies, and was originally attached to The Hobbit before the MGM financial debacle forced him to walk away from it... a visual master, who knows how to handle that delicate balance between special effects and character progression.. and i think he would do Star Wars very well.
    Empire Strikes Back is definitley the best, Star Wars and Return of the Jedi are 2nd and 3rd depending on what day it is but both are still great films.

The prequels just lack heart, everything is so staged and artificial looking, Obi Wan is about the only character who becomes likeable by the last film but all the other characters are so unmemorable that it's hard to care about any of it, although of course most of the light sabre battles are pretty impressive!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Empire Strikes Back is definitley the best, Star Wars and Return of the Jedi are 2nd and 3rd depending on what day it is but both are still great films.

The prequels just lack heart, everything is so staged and artificial looking, Obi Wan is about the only character who becomes likeable by the last film but all the other characters are so unmemorable that it's hard to care about any of it, although of course most of the light sabre battles are pretty impressive!

the problem with the prequels, is that we already knew how it would end - nothing was going to be a surprise... i personally thought there were moments that some surprises and twists could have been thrown in - but it was more or less 3 films of connect-the-dots.... but from a story standpoint, it felt like the stories didn't have a chance to ripen and mature, too much time was spent on showcasing 5 new planets and characters in each movie, that it started to be a little overkill - story became a backseat to special effects... i do think Lucas was trying to hard to cram in as much as he could - because he could.... the idea of mimicking the fall of the roman empire, and how a democracy can be manipulated and turned into a dictatorship - and using that for his prequels was a nice choice, but instead of focusing more on that - it became more about, hey look what we can do now with special effects that we couldn't back in 1977..
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Personally I think there's enough EU to more or less know where a possible third trilogy would take us. I was happy with said EU. Had Lucas shot all nine films between '77 and roughly speaking 2005, I'd have been cool with it. This project, however, has the stench of greed all over it to an even bigger extent than with Lucas' re-doings of his already existing films.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Personally I think there's enough EU to more or less know where a possible third trilogy would take us. I was happy with said EU. Had Lucas shot all nine films between '77 and roughly speaking 2005, I'd have been cool with it. This project, however, has the stench of greed all over it to an even bigger extent than with Lucas' re-doings of his already existing films.

it really depends... yes i'm sure Disney wants to make more films so they can make money - when you purchase something like Lucasfilm and Star Wars and 'wanting to make money' is not part of your plan - then wtf are you doing?? lol greed is part of the business...... if they simply throw out a film just to do it, thats one thing.. but if they bring in some competent minds to craft a new trilogy and a credible director to helm them - then i'm in..

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    HASEROT wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

it really depends... yes i'm sure Disney wants to make more films so they can make money - when you purchase something like Lucasfilm and Star Wars and 'wanting to make money' is not part of your plan - then wtf are you doing?? lol greed is part of the business...... if they simply throw out a film just to do it, thats one thing.. but if they bring in some competent minds to craft a new trilogy and a credible director to helm them - then i'm in..

Don't get me wrong, so am I. I love Star Wars. To be frank, the entire animated thing they did with Clone Wars sort of alienated me from the franchise in the last decade but a third trilogy isn't necessarily a bad thing when competently made. And if we remember Kirshner, I think it's safe to say we don't necessarily need Lucas to make a good SW film. ;-) That said, the risk remains that they screw it up big time, in which case the balance will definitely tip over to the negative side. In that sense, I would rather play it safe and stick to what we have so no more damage can be done. That's why this bit of news doesn't get me worked up all that much.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I gotta ask: Does Disney not have enough faith in their own properties that they need to buy other companies? First Marvel and now Lucasfilm? What's next? Will we see Disney's Go Home or Die Hard in 2018?
    I gotta ask: Does Disney not have enough faith in their own properties that they need to buy other companies? First Marvel and now Lucasfilm? What's next? Will we see Disney's Go Home or Die Hard in 2018?

of course they have faith in their own properties..... but whats the harm in going out and acquiring more?.... Disney pretty much runs the planet now.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    HASEROT wrote:

of course they have faith in their own properties..... but whats the harm in going out and acquiring more?.... Disney pretty much runs the planet now.

Look, the only good thing I find about this is that I know the film will be done right, and they're not going to throw on any "Disney rules". I'd rather have Lucas directing them (b*tch all you want about him, I thought the prequels were good), but as long as he's staying on as a creative consultant (and hopefully at least a co-writer), the films should be good. Now, hopefully, we can get the big three back in.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    You know, I was just about to post on here how over-rated Lucas' saga is,…but you know what? I can't be bothered!
    You know, I was just about to post on here how over-rated Lucas' saga is,…but you know what? I can't be bothered!

But nevertheless you seemed bothered enough to take the effort to post the exact thing you said you couldn't be bothered to post.

Oh, the irony.
    Indeed.

May The Farce Be With You!
  • I saw "A New Hope" when it was first shown in Dominion in Tottenham Court in
    London, some 35 years ago. There were raving reviews, and Lucas and Co were living in London during the filming. However, my son likes all of them.
  • You know, I was just about to post on here how over-rated Lucas' saga is,…but you know what? I can't be bothered!

Oh really? I'd say that us lot here on this forum over-rate the Bond films incredibly. When you put them up against the Star Wars saga, the Bond films are smaller by comparison as international cultural icons, despite the fact that their are 4 times as many Bond movies. Lucas's grand sic-fi epic is simply a master peace which reaches something higher than any Bond film ever could, I regret to say, simply because the Star Wars films transcend typical film genres. While I am a bigger fan of the character that Flemming created, I have to give it to Lucas that he created an entire universe, and to me that is amazing, and can in no way be over-rated.
    A sic-fi master peace indeed!
    Don't get me wrong, I have the Star Wars blu-ray box set (having previously bought the widescreen VHS BS and then all on DVD, I have seen all of them in the cinema and enjoy watching them (though only Empire comes close to being a sci-fi masterpiece) - I just don't find them a religious experience or truly great films.
    Overall popularity doesn't make them great - otherwise crap like Transformers and Avatar would be the best films ever made! Don't think so.
    I think it's great that Star Wars will have a new lease of life under Disney and look forward to seeing how the saga will continue. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bond ends up at Disney some time in the future when the Broccoli's are done with it or have no one to continue the legacy.

Another director I wouldn't be surprised to see attached to the new Star Wars would be Gore Verbinski. He seems to be Disney's favourite director to launch their franchises.
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

They have movies everywhere.
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Lots of people say that. Spielberg uses that expression! It doesn't mean one of his films is in the bloody room.
  • robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Lots of people say that. Spielberg uses that expression! It doesn't mean one of his films is in the bloody room.

This is the world's most precious resource. we need to control as much of it as we can.
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

This is the world's most precious resource. we need to control as much of it as we can.

Transfer the funds from our Pirates of the Caribbean holdings.
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

I'm not sure Star Wars is the best use of Disney's time...
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Can I offer an opinion? I really think you people should find a better place to meet. I mean, really? A movie theatre?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Can I offer an opinion? I really think you people should find a better place to meet. I mean, really? A movie theatre?

Star Wars isn't for everyone.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Is he one of ours? Then he shouldn't be discussing with us!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    This news, and finding out that Arnold is returning as Conan, has made the next couple of years for me! I can't wait to get onto Star Wars forums and geek out over talk of the next Star Wars movies!
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Looks like we lost another one! (to Disney)
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Could you do me a favor? You're going to get a phone call in a minute. Would you mind telling them I'm headed for Narnia?
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    robboadam wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

OMG

Disney = Quantum!

Could you do me a favor? You're going to get a phone call in a minute. Would you mind telling them I'm headed for Narnia?

You have some hard friends. This man (Lucas) is some sort of writher, fingers in many pies, and he doesn't leave any crumbs. These men were together?