Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thanks @bondsum.
    Thanks for all the new info! Excellent stuff! :-bd
    Bummer for fans of Wedge Antilles:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/wedge-antilles-wont-be-back-for-star-wars-episode-vii

The surprising part for me though is his tone! Not just a 'no thanks I'm too old to fly that X-Wing' or 'No thanks, you all break a leg', but instead he says “I’m not going to do that…They asked me but it just would have bored me.”
    I've always found Denis Lawson to be quite an arrogant man so his reasons for not returning to Star Wars do no surprise me.
    His loss at the end of the day! He is not a major character anyway really.
    Filming has now began. After all this time, a new Star Wars film is being made.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Filming has now began. After all this time, a new Star Wars film is being made.

It's only been nine years since the last one. There were sixteen years between Episode VI and Episode I.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I know, it's just something I never really expected to happen and now, it really is.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Now, I was born in 1990, so I saw the Original Trilogy on VHS tapes that my family had taped during a TV airing of the films, but I still didn't think there'd be a Prequel Trilogy until I saw the first commercials for Phantom Menace on TV (I missed the opportunity of paying five bucks to see the trailer before leaving Wing Commander). It's never again going to be a surprise for me that a new Star Wars movie will be made. The Money - er, um... Force is with them.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Have little or no expectations for the new trilogy, As mixed or bad as the prequel trilogy was, its still Star Wars. Cutting to the core Lucas Star Wars films are pretty psychotic to say the least. Despite some being terrible at times they are unique in a sense no one else would make such controversial and at times insane movies.

Worst case scenario the new trilogy could be ok though not hit the heights of Lucas as his best.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Worst case scenario the new trilogy could be ok though not hit the heights of Lucas as his best.
    My prediction, they will be better than Revenge Of The Sith, and not as good as Return Of The Jedi.
    Meaning- good fun.
    I can't wait.
    chrisisall wrote:
    My prediction, they will be better than Revenge Of The Sith, and not as good as Return Of The Jedi.
    Meaning- good fun.
    I can't wait.
    Hey mate, if they could recapture the original trilogy that would be something. I do like JJs Star Trek reboot, though he has played it safe and has alot of history to tap into with Trek. Even in the first trilogy there is some pretty crazy stuff going on, hope Abrahms takes the ball and runs with it.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Meaning- good fun.
    I can't wait.
    Hey mate, if they could recapture the original trilogy that would be something. I do like JJs Star Trek reboot, though he has played it safe and has alot of history to tap into with Trek. Even in the first trilogy there is some pretty crazy stuff going on, hope Abrahms takes the ball and runs with it. Kasdan i think is a major plus.

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

Best present ever! :)) =))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Priceless!
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Gareth Edwards is directing the first Star Wars spin-off film, to be released on 16th December 2016, written by Gary Whitta.

http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards-and-gary-whitta-onboard-for-star-wars-stand-alone-film.html

After that Edwards will direct Godzilla 2 and later Godzilla 3.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-spinoff-hires-godzilla-706636
    Too many Star Wars films spoil the broth perhaps?
    After Episode IX, they will have the go the spin-off route forever more but I agree, a film every year until 2020 could be very tiring.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Samuel001 wrote:
    After Episode IX, they will have the go the spin-off route forever more but I agree, a film every year until 2020 could be very tiring.

It all depends on the quality of the films of course.
    ggl007 wrote:

Best present ever! :)) =))

=)) That is absolutely brilliant! :-bd
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Not sure what to think of these new films, a part of me is getting quite excited at the prospect that these could actually be what I didn't get back 1999, 2002 & 2005.

I remember seeing Star Wars on the big screen back in 1978 and being wowed at it's power, it literally changed cinema over night good or bad. I have enjoyed JJ's take on Star Trek but I'm not a fan boy so aren't too attached to them like some so was quite happy with what he delivered, despite thinking Cumberbatch should never have been Kahn in Into The Darkness.

He said he was always more of an SW fan than a ST and you could see the SW influence in his 2 ST films. Not really surprised by the spin offs and the irregularity of how they are going to be released, this is Disney we are talking about and they did pay 4 billion dollars for the franchise, they will definitely be following the same model as Marvel, which I personally don't like but can't deny they've made it work tremendously from a financial point of view.

There is a thought that too much too quick will make people sick of these films but I guess it will come down to the quality of the product. Getting to see another Star Wars with the principal cast members returning isn't something I thought I'd ever see. I think Disney knows the disappointment despite the financial haul that the prequels were and so does JJ.

Injecting some charm and warmth back into the series is something that is crucial and Lucas assertion that they were always kids films when defending his prequels doesn't ring true when your story is concerning trade federations and political shenanigans. Lucas is a great ideas man he's just not very good at realising that as a script and definitely not at directing actors he has no chemistry and is just a technician and those films totally lack emotion or elicited any empathy for the characters on screen.

These films need to appeal to the audience that made them originally successful ( 40 somethings like me) and the new generation. The claims this will be practical effects as well as C.G.I is most promising, I'm not sure I'll like what is delivered next December but intrigued and excited in a way I though I'd never would be again.
    10300696_10152411757637708_8931428203642821435_n.jpg

:D
    That pic is great.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    haha :))

Although, the redshirt would get hit as he's not a main protagonist (Stormtrooper Syndrome). He'd just die early on in the film, and nameless. :-B L-)
    Actually, he'd be Ensign (Last Name Here), because they generally always had last names.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,948
    Technically, yes. But when we meet an Ensign we've never seen before, and not hear anyone speak their name- well, you know their death is imminent!
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I feel like I may have read this once before, but it's so cool to actually see the video. Here Mark Hamil l is interviewed- he discusses how George Lucas asked if he'd be interested in revisiting the series way down the line and playing Luke as an Obi-Wan type of character. He said 'Oh around 2011 or so'

Pretty amazing how close he was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4UGV7WVB-bA

*Edit- also,

tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo1_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo2_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo4_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo3_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo5_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo7_500.gif
    I feel like I may have read this once before, but it's so cool to actually see the video. Here Mark Hamil l is interviewed- he discusses how George Lucas asked if he'd be interested in revisiting the series way down the line and playing Luke as an Obi-Wan type of character. He said 'Oh around 2011 or so'

Pretty amazing how close he was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4UGV7WVB-bA

*Edit- also,

tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo1_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo2_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo4_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo3_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo5_500.png
    tumblr_n6cmki02uF1qewacoo7_500.gif

That is absolutely hilarious! :-))
    =))