Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Interesting thoughts...
    Now what sense does this make? They canceled the Boba Fett movie, and now they want to make a TV series based around Cassian Andor? Does anyone at all remember him?

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1006465-diego-luna-reprising-cassian-andor-role-in-star-wars-series
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wouldn't have minded a Boba Fett movie to be honest. I'm much less a fan of the whole TV direction many series are taking.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Now what sense does this make? They canceled the Boba Fett movie, and now they want to make a TV series based around Cassian Andor? Does anyone at all remember him?

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1006465-diego-luna-reprising-cassian-andor-role-in-star-wars-series

This could be just because I'm a massive Star Wars nerd, but I not only remember Cassian, he was one of my favorite characters and I'm glad he's getting a show on the streaming service.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I was never a Boba Fett fan, so fine by me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No love for Dash Rendar. :(
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,327
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Murdock wrote: »
    No love for Dash Rendar. :(

I'm not a big fan of Star Wars, but that reminds me I should play Shadows of the Empire again. I really liked that game.
    This video perfectly sums up my views of The Last Jedi. Take the time to watch it first before commenting on it.

bondsum wrote: »
    This video perfectly sums up my views of The Last Jedi. Take the time to watch it first before commenting on it.

He makes some good points, I have watched a few critiques on YouTube about TLJ, MauLer does a lengthy though interesting breakdown if time permits.

I recall watching TLJ in the cinema my experience of the film was me shaking my head in disapproval throughout, it really was worse than I could have imagined.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,333
    To be honest @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I haven't watched too many critiques of the movie myself. If a movie doesn't work for me, I tend to avoid reading anything about it afterwards. It's just I stumbled upon the video when I watching the excellent "CinemaTyler" videos on YouTube. If you haven't watched a CinemaTyler video (they're mostly all on Stanley Kubrick) then do yourself a favour and watch a few. I'll provide the link below for those that are film buffs and Kubrick fans...

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7GV-3hrA9kDKrren0QMKMg

With regards to The Last Jedi, I was disappointed with its predecessor (The Farce Awakens), far more than I was with any Lucas prequel, so it didn't surprise me that the train-wreck was going to keep going. I'm not even going to bother watching the third one. As the video above states: there's no vested interest, no arc to be completed, so what's the point? I'd just be watching it for flashy visual effects and not for the story.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

God, if this happens, though I doubt it will, I'll see Episode IX several times in the cinema and buy the Blu-Ray. Ian is the God of Star Wars.

It would be incredibly stupid, of course, but nothing can really save this disastrous set of three movies (I won't call it a trilogy). So we might as well get some of the best of what Star Wars has to offer.

I never had any interest in seeing the prequel trilogy when it was announced, but as soon as I saw that Ian McDiarmid was in as Palpatine, I couldn't wait. My favorite moment of his is in The Phantom Menace: he delivers a line that sounds pretty unremarkable, and is thus incredible. Because the line is stilted, awkward garbage on page.

The line is: "The Chancellor has little real power. He is mired by baseless accusations of corruption."

Read that line a couple times. It's horrible. It's one of the worst lines I've ever seen anywhere. But when he says it, https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/63f85ab1-a00e-42ee-b8b6-72abb2d1f96d (partial clip), it sounds, well, normal. Dude is incredible.

Anyway, these movies cannot be salvaged, so give me some Palpatine!

(Of course, given the haphazard, improvised, incompetent way these movies are now written, Episode IX may see a new character--an incomparably powerful Force user with unlimited financial resources and no backstory whatsoever. They did it once, why not do it every time?! ;-) )
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,540

While I too was very much disappointed by the film, I've also grown sick and tired of these "we'll do the thinking for ya" youtube videos.

Every film, including Citizen Kane and Apocalypse Now, when placed under such ridiculous scrutiny, will come out bad. The video takes a lot of time, for example, to discuss the useless and silly motions of one of Snoke's guards. Can I please remark that if such a thing offends people, they shouldn't watch a single Bond film. Such multiplayer fights, during which we're supposed to focus on our heroes anyway, are difficult to choreograph and execute. Even then, if we compare this "samurai" fight to, say, the rooftop fight in YOLT, I know which one wins, and it's not the one with guys who A) are knocked down by Bond through spooky action at a distance and B) get up a few seconds later, woken by a mysterious force.

I have seen a few of those "everything wrong with" videos on YT and I'm always instantly repulsed by them. Half the time, the criticism makes little sense yet is sold convincingly as logical reasoning. But films don't have to follow strict, mathematical logic all the time. A couple of flaws and missteps are acceptable, especially if the film compensates for them in other places (and these videos usually leave out the good stuff, of course). I have picked up (and immediately thrown away) damning reviews of Terminator 2 because the time travel stuff doesn't work when you stretch the whys and what-ifs far beyond what the film gives us. In fact, no time travel film is perfectly flawless. Does that mean we should altogether stop watching and enjoying time travel films? Reviews of CR and The Dark Knight exist that completely destroy these films because the "reviewer" spent a lot of time formulating solid sounding opinions, built around things one can easily overlook and probably should, especially in light of all the good stuff the films provide. In fact, there are people out there trying to demonstrate that all of Star Wars is nonsensical, that one logical mistake after the other hit the series from the '77 film and onwards. Cold logic apparently dictates that even the first 10 minutes of Star Wars are cerebral torture. That doesn't mean I'm ready to jump on that wagon and burn my Star Wars collection, though.

But don't worry, there must be a few third world documentaries that are perfectly spotless, despite their entertainment value being close to nil... You won't find a single thing to rant about, so sit down and have fun joining the "my farts don't stink" elite.

What aggravates me even more is that people are actually willing to pass on a film they would otherwise have sought out because of such a video. What's wrong with you? You've got a brain, use it! See for yourself and then, if still desired, you can turn towards someone else's opinion. Or as one of my colleagues recently put it, "I saw the 'everything wrong with The Dark Knight Rises' video, so I think I will pass." OMG, you're sooo smart. You probably check facebook before commenting on what's going on in the world too, don't you?

Lest we forget, a bad review always makes one look cooler than a good review, especially when it's "substantiated". Some of these videos go very far in trying to get even more substantiated than the best case they can actually build.

Look folks, I'm not a big fan of TLJ either. I recognise the flaws. I also think there's good stuff in the film, though not enough to make me enthusiastic about revisiting it tomorrow. Maybe in a year or so, but not tomorrow. But by the same token, if you're gonna hate on a film, let's keep it decent. By pointing out that non-descript extra number 7 in a multiplayer fight made a few awkward moves, you more or less admit that you've got a weak case. Many of these YT videos have, at best, a very weak case to make. I myself prefer to voice my own opinion, rather than hide behind someone who went over the film with an electron microscope in search of more arguments than the few reasonable ones that are there.

So yes, TLJ was a disappointment. I too got into facepalm mode when they flushed Phasma down the toilet like that, especially after having read an entire book on the character in hopeful preparation of the film. But I don't need a video to tell me this and certainly not one that drags worthless arguments into this fight in an attempt to sound even more convincing.

Sorry about this rant of mine, guys. Next time, I'll state my reasons via youtube, and add some misplaced commas to further enhance the validity of my case. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    . The video takes a lot of time, for example, to discuss the useless and silly motions of one of Snoke's guards. Can I please remark that if such a thing offends people, they shouldn't watch a single Bond film. Such multiplayer fights, during which we're supposed to focus on our heroes anyway, are difficult to choreograph and execute. Even then, if we compare this "samurai" fight to, say, the rooftop fight in YOLT, I know which one wins, and it's not the one with guys who A) are knocked down by Bond through spooky action at a distance and B) get up a o, don't you?

I definitely agree that TLJ was assembled with all of the care and seriousness with which YOLT was made. :-D

But one hardly needs an "electron microscope" to see the incoherence at the heart of TLJ, and its lack of respect for the films preceding it.
    That was indeed a rant @DarthDimi. I'm personally OK with these Youtube videos myself, if done well, as I am with the existence of forums such as these. Sure, the segment about the poorly executed fight choreography does distract from the far better points that were being made and being an Englishman myself, I wouldn't have been so abrasive about certain quibbles. However, there's no excuse for poor choreography when making a movie of this size and grandeur. Aside the from the "Gottcha" twists, the whole movie is a bloody shambles storywise and on character arcs. It is total fan fiction made with a huge budget but without any real understanding for the characters or its own universe.

I tell you what really gets my goat, though, it's those so-called reviewers on IMDb, who know absolutely sod all about what they've just watched and award a movie a 1 star rating based solely on their own sheer ignorance. Also, one cannot post a response to their inane published drivel. That to me, is a far bigger crime than posting a video on Youtube, which at least allows us to post a response below it.
    I tell you what really gets my goat, though, it's those so-called reviewers on IMDb, who know absolutely sod all about what they've just watched and award a movie a 1 star rating based solely on their own sheer ignorance. Also, one cannot post a response to their inane published drivel. That to me, is a far bigger crime than posting a video on Youtube, which at least allows us to post a response below it.

I completely agree with that, @bondsum.

I merely wish more people would be aware, as you no doubt are, that these yt videos aren't gospel, that even if the person behind them tells you that there are ten things wrong with a film, there's still a chance there are thirty things right with it, that you might still have a great time with it and that most of that person's arguments boil down to taste and not to indisputable fact.

Once again, yes, TLJ is a seriously flawed and disappointing film. People told me so within five minutes after its world premiere. But I still went to see the film despite discouraging reviews; I still formulated my opinion and did it without the help of social media. But I'm afraid that many people are encouraged to rage against a film by highly opinionated material they can find online and not by their own thoughts about the film. And that's just wrong and sad. Imagine someone actually willing to follow the "reasonings" in this video:

It's painful to even think about it, since almost every single one of these "movie sin" claims can be either debunked or laughed off as too far-fetched for common sense.

I know I'm preaching to the choir and I know that yt is my scapegoat here. Other means exist for opinions to reach us and in all cases I'd prefer it if people could voice their own opinion first. I mean, haven't we all had the experience of someone telling us a film sucks and we believed the person and missed the film in theatres, only to discover many years later we actually like the film and probably should have seen it then?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I mean, haven't we all had the experience of someone telling us a film sucks and we believed the person and missed the film in theatres, only to discover many years later we actually like the film and probably should have seen it then?

I don t think I ever skipped a film because someone else didn t approve of it.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Ah, you see, I refuse to watch that, as I don't believe there's that much wrong with CR. But I get your point @DarthDimi.

But I mostly go to Youtube for the insightful videos, such as "CinemaTyler". That guy knows his onions.
    Well, @bondsum, I'll happily rest my case, stating, for the record, that I agree with you that there's a lot wrong with TLJ. ;-)

As I posted here a few weeks ago, of the post-Lucas films, I really prefer RO over all the others.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 1,690
    Yeah, you may be missing the point of those "Everything wrong with..." videos. I don't much care for them, but they're meant to be nitpicky, and not proper film criticism. They seem to sometimes go out of their way to nitpick good movies. I suspect they've done one for "The Godfather", or " The Shawshank Redemption".

But the reaction on YouTube (or anywhere else) to TLJ can't be found in equal measure for any competent movie.
    Agreed. I think Rogue One is the best out of the Disney bunch. It also stars Diego Luna, who is great in the new Narcos: Mexico series.
    I don't take these YouTube videos on film too seriously, I often play them when doing other things as well as listening to podcasts also in the background. The critique videos are amusing if anything and some good points can be made.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yeah, you may be missing the point of those "Everything wrong with..." videos. I don't much care for them, but they're meant to be nitpicky, and not proper film criticism. They seem to sometimes go out of their way to nitpick good movies. I suspect they've done one for "The Godfather", or " The Shawshank Redemption".

But the reaction on YouTube (or anywhere else) to TLJ can't be found in equal measure for any competent movie.

Actually, neither The Godfather nor Shawshank have been sinned. Regardless, CinemaSins is mere comedy, not any different from Honest Trailers.

As for TLJ, I personally loved the movie, cannot see where people come up with this "insults the previous movies" bullshit. I see flaws with the movie, of that there is no doubt, but people are overblowing it because they want to, because it's, I dunno, the "cool thing", or whatever.

40 years ago, same thing happened to another Star Wars sequel, I'm sure you know the movie, The Empire Strikes Back.

I'm not going to try and change anyone's opinion, because your minds are made up and you're cursing my name at this very moment, but judge the movie fairly for a change. It's not that hard.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I’m weird because I hate the empire strikes back.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 1,690

As for TLJ, I personally loved the movie, cannot see where people come up with this "insults the previous movies" bullshit. I see flaws with the movie, of that there is no doubt, but people are overblowing it because they want to, because it's, I dunno, the "cool thing", or whatever.

40 years ago, same thing happened to another Star Wars sequel, I'm sure you know the movie, The Empire Strikes Back.

I'm not going to try and change anyone's opinion, because your minds are made up and you're cursing my name at this very moment, but judge the movie fairly for a change. It's not that hard.

No, ESB didn't do that.

TLJ had a scene where a character heroically sacrificed herself to save her peers, and it was rightly portrayed heroically. Not long after, another character attempted the same and was told by another character that it would be the wrong thing to do.

The juxtaposition is so idiotic, one would think it was intentional, and present to demonstrate some larger point. But no larger point is intelligible, or is suggested by the the film's proponents.

Presenting the heroes of the prequel trilogy as fools, or the heroes of the original trilogy as failures, at least to me, comes off as insulting to the previous movies. Apart from a limited sense with regard to the prequel trilogy, these ideas weren't originally present in the old films.

These are only a couple of points of course, but ESB didn't do anything comparable to TLJ's idiotic contradiction of its own themes, nor did it introduce post hoc reversals of ideas presented in ANH.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

No, ESB didn't do that.

TLJ had a scene where a character heroically sacrificed herself to save her peers, and it was rightly portrayed heroically. Not long after, another character attempted the same and was told by another character that it would be the wrong thing to do.

The juxtaposition is so idiotic, one would think it was intentional, and present to demonstrate some larger point. But no larger point is intelligible, or is suggested by the the film's proponents.

Presenting the heroes of the prequel trilogy as fools, or the heroes of the original trilogy as failures, at least to me, comes off as insulting to the previous movies. Apart from a limited sense with regard to the prequel trilogy, these ideas weren't originally present in the old films.

These are only a couple of points of course, but ESB didn't do anything comparable to TLJ's idiotic contradiction of its own themes, nor did it introduce post hoc reversals of ideas presented in ANH.

Have to agree with this. I've watched TLJ about a half dozen times now in the hope it would inprove or I would suddenly realise that I was wrong. Not a whole lot has changed. The good bits are still good, drowned out by poor writing and just generally bad storytelling. It was a bitter pill to swallow as I was championing Johnson and still remain a fan of his. But no, he made an arse of TLJ for my money. And I saw it twice.
    Disney Has Recast The Original Star Wars Trio (& Now A NEW Spinoff Can Happen)

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-recast-luke-han-leia-spinoff-movie/ #-o

This must be BS

Disney Has Recast The Original Star Wars Trio (& Now A NEW Spinoff Can Happen)

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-recast-luke-han-leia-spinoff-movie/ #-o

This must be BS

It'll never happen, honestly. I'd never heard of this TFA flashback with this new Luke actor. The image they show, he looks nothing like ESB era Mark Hamill. I'm glad they scrapped it.