Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,327
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yes, Variety confirms it :

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-matt-smith-1202886507/

It was bound to happen. The film series has employed many actors from Doctor Who over the years, including the best villains (David Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch) and two other Doctors (Peter Cushing and Tom Baker).

Also Don Henderson who played Gavrok in Delta and the Bannermen in DW and General Taggi in SW.

Great news regarding Smith he is a good actor.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

It was bound to happen. The film series has employed many actors from Doctor Who over the years, including the best villains (David Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch) and two other Doctors (Peter Cushing and Tom Baker).

I didn't know Cushing was a Doctor. David Tennant was on Star Wars The Clone Wars for 4 episodes, so that makes four Doctors in total.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,327

I didn't know Cushing was a Doctor. David Tennant was on Star Wars The Clone Wars for 4 episodes, so that makes four Doctors in total.

Cushing was in two non canon movies in the 60"s...
    Dr._Who_and_the_Daleks_Poster.jpg
    Original_UK_quad_poster_of_Daleks%2C_Invasion_Earth_2150_A.D.jpg
    Luke when he becomes a Force Ghost :D

tumblr_mpke4hSEb51syl6hyo1_500.gif

I remember watching these as a kid and really enjoying them. A golden era for shaky-sets B-movie British sci-fi and horror.
  • Did anyone see this yet? :))
    Such a quick simple scene showing the beginning of a 40 year friendship- they should have kept it.....

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Did anyone see this yet? :))
    Such a quick simple scene showing the beginning of a 40 year friendship- they should have kept it.....

Ahhh man, why cut that out?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Did anyone see this yet? :))

I love it! Why in the name of God was that cut? It's things like that which make friendships seem genuine.
    Getafix wrote: »

I remember watching these as a kid and really enjoying them. A golden era for shaky-sets B-movie British sci-fi and horror.

The 60"s was a great decade for Sci Fi, they don't make bad movies that good these days.
    I think that 5% Chance idea of Mr Campea is the most Soap operatic bs I´ve heard in a Long time. Luke teleporting himself to another planet because Kylo Ren knows where he is? Come on.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think that 5% Chance idea of Mr Campea is the most Soap operatic bs I´ve heard in a Long time. Luke teleporting himself to another planet because Kylo Ren knows where he is? Come on.

Ha ha its a given he probably had a completely different opinion previously.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,257
    I finally watched Solo a few nights ago. Part of me wanted to see it in theaters but I chose to stick to my dumb little protest and skip it. I did not want to support a film that I felt had no reason to ever be made. With that said, I found it moderately enjoyable. I never truly bought into the idea I was watching a young Han Solo, though Alden Ehrenreich did evoke some of the spirit of Han from time to time. Overall, this film didn’t really do anything to stand out though. When it was over, I just found myself wondering what the purpose of this film was.

While on the topic of Solo, here is another deleted scene. I feel like this scene, and the one above with Chewie would have worked well had they been included.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    Uff. The purpose of Solo was very simple. Make an entertaining fun ride, providing a juicy background to a beloved character. To me, it was fun to see the Kessell run, Han's evolution from a more romantic smuggler to a more cynic individual. It was fun to see his meeting with Chewie, with Lando, with the Falcon. It was compelling to see a SW film crafted with all this heist/western/noirish influences. It was nice to see the Star Wars universe expanded once again.

Shame this really enjoyable movie ended up being a flop. Especially in the US. Real shame.
    TR007 wrote: »
    I watched Last Jedi again this weekend, it's now on Sky Cinema.
    Really, really enjoyed it on second viewing. It's an absolute blast. So many unexpected twists and turns in the movie and subverts the audience's expectations in such a marvelous way. I think I enjoy Star Wars so much more now that I'm an adult and not a kid/teenager. I'm not carrying so much emotional baggage into the movies now and putting them under intense scrutiny. It's a delight to be able to just view these new movies on their individual merits, and as such I personally feel that Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie since Empire.

100% agree!!!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yeah, Solo wasn't there to break new ground or anything, it was there to be a roller coaster, and I feel it succeeded, regardless of the box office numbers.
    I saw it once. Don't remember much about it. My brains shut down half way down the movie.
    Both Solo and Rogue One, for all their flaws, are miles more enjoyable than the main trilogy installments thus far.

Solo was too slow to be a pure rollercoaster ride but there was still some fun to be had with it. It was very lovingly made by Howard, who clearly saved a sinking ship. The man deserves a medal.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Howard made an incredible job putting together a movie so lovely in such conditions.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    matt_u wrote: »
    Howard made an incredible job putting together a movie so lovely in such conditions.

Agreed. I honestly liked Solo a lot, my only problems with it were all the self-references and the fact I didn't buy the actor as the character he's supposed to play (he felt off for some reason).
    Walecs wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »

Agreed. I honestly liked Solo a lot, my only problems with it were all the self-references and the fact I didn't buy the actor as the character he's supposed to play (he felt off for some reason).

I cut him all possible slack. He's playing a character originated by one of the world's best actors, shoes almost no one else can ever truly fill. He did an admirable job that 95% wouldn't give him credit for regardless of how well he did.
    There wasn't a second Ehrenreich had me miss Ford. Nevertheless, I found the film forgettable, despite enjoying it while it lasted.
    Not watched Solo yet though I have bought all the films upto now, and despite my reservations I know I'll will end up buying this one to.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    There wasn't a second Ehrenreich had me miss Ford. Nevertheless, I found the film forgettable, despite enjoying it while it lasted.

I liked it- enough to buy it (eventually). Rogue One is still the jewel of the recent SW films IMHO.
    chrisisall wrote: »

I liked it- enough to buy it (eventually). Rogue One is still the jewel of the recent SW films IMHO.
    Rogue One is grossly neglected as far as appreciation of ist visual splendor is concerned.

chrisisall wrote: »

Rogue One is grossly neglected as far as appreciation of ist visual splendor is concerned.

It really is a stunning looking flick.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Rogue One dragged a bit for me until the final 30 minutes or so, then it was fantastic!
    So far, I think Solo is my favorite of these new Star Wars movies!

Solo- just an all around blast, great fun adventures of Han & Chewie, before those damn Skywalkers ruined his life (kidding). I really hope we get to see this Han actor face off against Boba Fett.

Rogue One- fantastic, but a little slow until you get to the end. If the whole movie was as good as the final act, it would easily have been the best.

The Force Awakens- HYPE TRAIN. Before it's release in 2015, it was looking like the movie of the century, and upon seeing Luke at the end after all that build up, the wait for the next movie seemed too much to handle. Which brings me to.....

The Last Jedi :( I just can't wrap my head around some of the choices here. All signs were pointing to this being LUKE'S MOVIE, like TFA was Han's. Yes I get where they were coming from, and he had a great send off, but the whole experience just came across as.... disappointing. At the end of TFA I couldn't wait for the next one, and after TLJ I just sort of felt like 'Well, that's that.' I'm Sorry, but I just don't think Rey, Finn & Poe are interesting enough to carry their own movie. Unless they surprise me with some news soon, so far I'm not too excited for Episode IX.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Last Jedi :( I just can't wrap my head around some of the choices here. All signs were pointing to this being LUKE'S MOVIE, like TFA was Han's. Yes I get where they were coming from, and he had a great send off, but the whole experience just came across as.... disappointing. At the end of TFA I couldn't wait for the next one, and after TLJ I just sort of felt like 'Well, that's that.' I'm Sorry, but I just don't think Rey, Finn & Poe are interesting enough to carry their own movie. Unless they surprise me with some news soon, so far I'm not too excited for Episode IX.

I agree. Poe, for example, interests me more in the comics at the moment than in the films. I saw potential in TFA but was very underwhelmed by TLJ.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's not over yet. Luke is with The Force, meaning he will be back. It wasn't the greatest, but I'm going to reserve final judgement until they wrap it up next year. I agree that it didn't come close to the awesomeness of TFA which seemed so much more epic on nearly every level. Sometimes the anticipation is better than the reality, and this is certainly how I felt after viewing TLJ, although I'm far from a hater. My issues were more with the politically correct messaging than anything else. There was no subtlety to it at all, regrettably.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,813
    @DarthDimi I loved Poe in TFA! From the very beginning with his hilarious and cocky ‘so who talks first, you talk first?’ I thought to myself, ok, this is the guy— our trilogy’s new hero. Aaaaaaaand he’s barely in the damn movie after that.

Btw you might like this: for my wedding in 2016, we did our own private vows, 100% unrehearsed and only the party could hear. I opened with that line to put my wife at ease and made her laugh :))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DarthDimi I loved Poe in TFA! From the very beginning with his hilarious and cocky ‘so who talks first, you talk first?’ I thought to myself, ok, this is the guy— our trilogy’s new hero. Aaaaaaaand he’s barely in the damn movie after that.

Btw you might like this: for my wedding in 2016, we did our own private vows, 100% unrehearsed and only the party could hear. I opened with that line to put my wife at ease and made her laugh :))

Excellent! :D I love that. :)