Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am more excited for Clone Wars than the films right now, I am making my way through Rebels on Bluray from the start currently. I was delaying buying Clone Wars on Bluray until I finished Rebels, though that trailer just made me impulse buy the 5 season Bluray Boxset of Clone Wars.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Clone Wars is an excellent addition to the Star Wars universe.
    It helped me to put the Prequel trilogy on a higher level.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    d91a3589e03534bddc0005c562cc3f1c2f6490ba2c643063b669c27e12adb7fc.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    "A Star Wars Story."
    Fixed it for you. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    "A Star Wars Story."
    Fixed it for you. ;)

I would watch that.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    "A Star Wars Story."
    Fixed it for you. ;)

I would watch that.

Me too. :D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Star Wars IX Cast announced - Carrie Fisher to appear using unseen footage:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-carrie-fisher-billy-dee-williams-1202888693/amp/
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    So they had an ace up their sleeves this whole time, eh? Well I'll be damned.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just caught the news on YouTube, dare I say I feel a little more positive about Episode IX.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yup, great news!!
    Love the idea that they have some scenes left with her, she is after all the heart of SW for me, hence the luke warm response to the prequels where Nathalie Portman was just a Leia light version.
    Sounds good to me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Isn't it amazingly ironic how, although Carrie Fisher is the only actor of the original trio to pass away, her character is the last surviving member.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    jake24 wrote: »
    Isn't it amazingly ironic how, although Carrie Fisher is the only actor of the original trio to pass away, her character is the last surviving member.

My thoughts indeed. Anyway, I'm glad they've got some unseen footage for SW IX.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,407
    Disney's live-action Star Wars series could cost whopping $100M

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-tv-series-for-disneys-streaming-service-may-cost-100m/

From another source apparently it's set after ROTJ on Mandalore

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Jon Favreau doing a show about Mandalorians after he played the main Mandalorian villain on The Clone Wars? Sign me up.
    It does sound encouraging and will no doubt get even more people subscribing to the Disney Streaming Service.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm surprised it isn't more than $100million, to be honest. Though that does spike my interest further in the series. I'm hoping it's not focused on any large scale conflicts.
    DSC_0005.JPG

I found this Darth Vader Pewter Statue in a charity shop, I moved quickly when I saw it in the shop window.
    That s a cool one.
    Cheers also the head piece comes off and it's a cork screw, best find I have had in some time.
    I finally got round to watching The Last Jedi on a flight earlier this week and I thought it was not bad. A strangely paced film and surprisingly low-key in many ways. I have to say that I actually really like the story. I'm not sure the execution was all that great, but the Luke character arc was excellent IMO. I like the way we found him lost and despondent at the start of the movie and then he regains his faith as the film progresses. It's not 100% convincing but at least there was something going on there.
    I watched Last Jedi again this weekend, it's now on Sky Cinema.
    Really, really enjoyed it on second viewing. It's an absolute blast. So many unexpected twists and turns in the movie and subverts the audience's expectations in such a marvelous way. I think I enjoy Star Wars so much more now that I'm an adult and not a kid/teenager. I'm not carrying so much emotional baggage into the movies now and putting them under intense scrutiny. It's a delight to be able to just view these new movies on their individual merits, and as such I personally feel that Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie since Empire.
    The plot is definitely more interesting than the Force Awakens (which is just a rehash of A New Hope).

I’m probably alone in this but I felt the Last Jedi felt a little mid budget - charmingly so in a way. It was quite refreshing that it wasn’t just epic battles and explosions constantly.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TR007 wrote: »
    Really, really enjoyed it on second viewing. It's an absolute blast. So many unexpected twists and turns in the movie and subverts the audience's expectations in such a marvelous way. I think I enjoy Star Wars so much more now that I'm an adult and not a kid/teenager. I'm not carrying so much emotional baggage into the movies now and putting them under intense scrutiny. It's a delight to be able to just view these new movies on their individual merits, and as such I personally feel that Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie since Empire.

That's correct commander.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TR007 wrote: »

See, the part that I have bolded is where the film completely fails for me. It does subvert expectations, but it does so at the cost of a coherent story. Characters make decisions that are either go completely against their established psyche or are simply idiotic enough to drive the turgid plot forward. It's a reasonably enjoyable film on its own terms (more than can be said of the prequels) but still, the only film that can hold up against the original trilogy is Rogue One. The core storyline of the newer trilogy is utter fluff so far. No one character is any better off at the end of The Last Jedi than they were at the beginning of it.

Take Empire as an example - we get the big revelation about Luke and Vader. Do we get anything remotely interesting about anyone here? The only one who has actually moved forward in any way is Kylo Ren, and he's commanding an army of utter idiots. They aren't really a threat at all.

There are a number of things that I really like, of course - Daisy Ridley is great, Adam Driver good, the music, the cinematography was stunning, Benecio Del Toro's character was neat, Skellig Michael looked stunning - but if the story isn't up to much then it's all moot, really. JJ has his work cut out for him with the next one.
    I felt Last Jedi was superior to The Force Awakens. Adam Driver is probably the stand out performance in these new films. No surprise there I suppose - he's proven he's an excellent actor across a wide range of genres now. I don't hold out much hope of JJ Abrams raising the tone with the final entry. I'm expecting even more fluff as that seems to be what he excels in.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Matt Smith joins the cast of the upcoming Star Wars: Episode 9.
    Yes, Variety confirms it :

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-matt-smith-1202886507/

It was bound to happen. The film series has employed many actors from Doctor Who over the years, including the best villains (David Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch) and two other Doctors (Peter Cushing and Tom Baker).