Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• edited February 2019 Posts: 1,661

I'm not wishing to sound like Mr Grumpy Old Man and he can do what he likes with them but couldn't he have donated them to a kids charity or something similar and maybe disadvantaged children could play with them? Fair enough if he hates the new Disney trilogy - it's been very divisive - but seems a tad spiteful to destroy all the figures. Seems like a cheap way to get Youtube views. Is he a true SW fan to do that? Hmm. Debatable!

I don’t understand why people are so negative about Last Jedi, that was such a fun and unpredictable movie! Given that half the SW movies are prequels it was such a treat to see them move the story forward.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    TR007 wrote: »
    I don’t understand why people are so negative about Last Jedi, that was such a fun and unpredictable movie! Given that half the SW movies are prequels it was such a treat to see them move the story forward.

+1. I genuinely loved TLJ. The last 30 minutes are mind blown.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TR007 wrote: »

Plenty of valid criticisms out there once you wade through the manchild fanboys who love lashing out at it simply because they feel they have to.

I found it quite dull, with the pace incredibly turgid. It's badly written, with weak new characters undermining superior older ones and absolutely idiotic villains to top it all off, save for Driver who was excellent. The scenes between him and Ridley were the best parts of the film. Massively improved on their performances from TFA. I quite like Rey as a character overall, though.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I also see a lot of futile criticism just because the movie feels different from the pale retcon of the OT that was TFA...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    fanbond123 wrote: »

I'm not wishing to sound like Mr Grumpy Old Man and he can do what he likes with them but couldn't he have donated them to a kids charity or something similar and maybe disadvantaged children could play with them? Fair enough if he hates the new Disney trilogy - it's been very divisive - but seems a tad spiteful to destroy all the figures. Seems like a cheap way to get Youtube views. Is he a true SW fan to do that? Hmm. Debatable!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, @fanbond123. More like a publicity stunt than anything else. But then it would appear that this is the new "thing" online: destroy stuff for fun. That dude looks like he could do with a little less sugar. Perhaps that can lend him some perspective.

Right now, a franchise's worst enemy is its fan. The line, "we're doing this for the fans", should change into, "we're hoping the fans will leave us alone".
    matt_u wrote: »
    I also see a lot of futile criticism just because the movie feels different from the pale retcon of the OT that was TFA...

Again, plenty of valid criticisms beyond that I think.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, @fanbond123. More like a publicity stunt than anything else. But then it would appear that this is the new "thing" online: destroy stuff for fun. That dude looks like he could do with a little less sugar. Perhaps that can lend him some perspective.

Right now, a franchise's worst enemy is its fan. The line, "we're doing this for the fans", should change into, "we're hoping the fans will leave us alone".

The guy in the video is behind the Mr Plinkett Star Wars reviews, he has extensive knowledge of the series. Red Letter Media have some great content, they don't take themselves too seriously like many movie review channels on YouTube.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    matt_u wrote: »

"I wanted Luke to reveal he's Rey's father or that she's Obi-Wan's granddaughter but they didn't, so it means Rian Johnson is [insert insult]"

There are valid criticisms about TLJ, but there's lots of toxic and idiotic comments as well
    Yeah, I've been watching a lot of redlettermedia's videos now. They don't take things very seriously, but they make interesting observations on movies.

That guy is a trekkie though.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Red Letter Media got me to like Star Trek The Motion Picture. :D
    This sums up Pretty well the Situation in that other thead :-)).

The guy in the video is behind the Mr Plinkett Star Wars reviews, he has extensive knowledge of the series. Red Letter Media have some great content, they don't take themselves too seriously like many movie review channels on YouTube.
    That is true. But they also sometimes put trying to be cool and witty before thinking.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    boldfinger wrote: »

That is true. But they also sometimes put trying to be cool and witty before thinking.

That's true though we all need to make a living
    Not sure if this has been posted before. The guy is bit annoying with his smugness after a while, but I don´t find anything I could disagree with:

Hope I don´t come across as a cynic, actually I quite enjoyed TLJ, but I find this analysis also amazingly consistent:

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I loved TLJ. I admit it has flaws, but not to the "it breaks canon" extent of some relatively unaware individuals.
    While aiting for the trailer for Episode IX, here's a reminder :

• edited March 2019 Posts: 4,600
    I watched Rogue One last night again and, if anything IMHO, it gets better with age. I really noticed the dark, confined, grungy feel of the first 2/3rds and then suddenly opening up the colour pallet and Star Wars refererences for the final battle scenes.

I also noted how compact the actual story was. I saw in the Rolling Stone review that they said that you actually believe that the characters are breathing the same air as Luke etc. It's a nice way of putting it.

Another angle, for me, is that if you took away some of the more clunky fan service, it would still stand up as a great film. As with World War 2, the Star Wars universe creates a backdrop for great characters, great action and high stakes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @patb, I'm glad we have another RO fan in the house. I consider it the third best Star Wars movie ever made.
  • I'd say Rogue One is easily the best of the Disney Era Star Wars.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 4,600
    @DarthDimi @ShakenNotStirred Yes, I don't think it matters that the cash comes from a Disney account or another account. For me, it's about the quality of the script, the directors, cast etc etc,

Rogue One is 2 hrs 13 mins long but, like all good movies, it does not feel that long. It builds up slowly but the climax is stunning with brilliant action intercut with crucial and sad moments within the various character arcs. (It reminds me a little of the Magnificent Seven as you start ticking off the hero's death scenes, each one individual but contributing towards the group's victory) Given the limitations re budget and time line (ie fitting it in as a prequal), it's hard to see how it could be improved.

Interesting video...."war is not great", GE really did put the WAR into Star Wars....

@patb, I'm glad we have another RO fan in the house. I consider it the third best Star Wars movie ever made.

You can add me to that line of thinking. It's a notch above Return Of The Jedi.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    It is by far and away the best Star Wars film ever made
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Add me to the Rogue One fan club. Best Star Wars film since the original trilogy. I'd also add that I thought Solo, despite all it's problems, was more enjoyable than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.
    It looks nice and has some great grace moments, and I kinda weirdly like how it plays as a Star Wars B-side. But the script clunks unbelievably and it's mostly a con-job. Jones is hugely miscast, Mendelsohn's role is a joke (the real villain is Guy Henry - excellent turn as Tarkin, even buried under all that CG), and much of it is anchored and saved by Diego Luna's tetchy, irritable performance as Cassian.

If only it actually was the WW2 film that it was originally billed as instead of ALSO trying to do a typical Star Wars family narrative that falls flat, the film would soar. As it stands it's a mid-range curio, where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 8,034
    FourDot wrote: »
    It looks nice and has some great grace moments, and I kinda weirdly like how it plays as a Star Wars B-side. But the script clunks unbelievably and it's mostly a con-job. Jones is hugely miscast, Mendelsohn's role is a joke (the real villain is Guy Henry - excellent turn as Tarkin, even buried under all that CG), and much of it is anchored and saved by Diego Luna's tetchy, irritable performance as Cassian.

If only it actually was the WW2 film that it was originally billed as instead of ALSO trying to do a typical Star Wars family narrative that falls flat, the film would soar. As it stands it's a mid-range curio, where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

I don't agree with this at all, especially the comments about Mendelsohn. He's one of the best Star Wars villains for the very fact that he's not simply an evil Empire stooge like Tarkin. Tarkin is iconic, of course, and rightly so. But he's not exactly three-dimensional.

Granted, I read the Catalyst novel which delved a bit into his backstory but even still, I think the film carries across the character's ambitions as a glory-hungry architect, rather than a simple uniform wearing cog in the tyranny machine, very well.
    Another thing it deserves credit for - there is alot going in within the climax, multiple, battles with their own different targets and goals. But, via good direction/editing, it's always clear who is fighting who and how each battle is developing and what they have to do to help each other. It's a huge team effort (more so than the climax in A New Hope.) It's very ambitious but they pull it off very well.

Still yet to get the Blu ray
  • The last 30 min. of RO is supreme film making. I know that Tony Gilroy came in last minute to fix some problems. But that space battle, land battle, and you can really feel there are definite stakes. These characters are not going to make it!. And of course Vader at the end.
    The finale of Rogue One was one of the best cinema experiences I had had in several years at the time of watching.