SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

"World domination. That same old dream."
    The dream was old even then. I think we need a new writer who can bring things back to a much tighter, compact and thrilling story.
    Bond on every screen of a Cinema complex! Awesome!!! \m/
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Latest BO news Stateside for SP.
    Estimates now put SP box office take for Friday at around $27.5 mil (that also includes the take from previews).
    Film expected to take around $74 - 74.3 mil for the weekend..........oh dear it keeps going down a little!
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    Estimates now put SP box office take for Friday at around $27.5 mil (that also includes the take from previews).
    Film expected to take around $74 - 74.3 mil for the weekend..........oh dear it keeps going down a little!

Must be entirely due to the wave of bad-mouthed, "rotten" US reviews. Reviews that felt mostly like extensions of the SonyLeaks, combined with disgusting aversion towards the very essence of "Bond". I can't see any other reason. This past week has been a bit destructive for the film (now 62% at RT, and completely undeserved).

Let the Americans have "their own 'james Bond's", with a re-imagined flying orphan who is pussy enough to develop a bat phobia, a 53-year old 'true stuntman' who can't even do a real parachute jump and a bunch of car racing gangstas who's next adventure will be "Fast & Furious On Mars".

And outside the USA, please let there be a more realistic spy, with humour, wit and his own "Superman brains".
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mepal1 wrote: »

Must be entirely due to the wave of bad-mouthed, "rotten" US reviews. Reviews that felt mostly like extensions of the SonyLeaks, combined with disgusting aversion towards the very essence of "Bond". I can't see any other reason. This past week has been a bit destructive for the film (now 62% at RT, and completely undeserved).

Let the Americans have "their own 'james Bond's", with a re-imagined flying orphan who is pussy enough to develop a bat phobia, a 53-year old 'true stuntman' who can't even do a real parachute jump and a bunch of car racing gangstas who's next adventure will be "Fast & Furious On Mars".

And outside the USA, please let there be a more realistic spy, with humour, wit and his own "Superman brains".

Grrrr..

:-L
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Gustav_Graves, I don't see the need in trashing Americans because SP made a few million less than expected on Friday. Talk about extreme.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    America doesn't care about going to the cinema anymore anyway, unless its for Michael Bay flag waving. China will be the primary market in a matter of months.
  • I'm sorry. Wasn't my intention. I actually meant to say "Bond hating people". From which I got the feeling many US reviewers were like that. Again, my apoligies to the American Bond fans.

It's just....."SPECTRE" does not deserve a 62% RT rating (that Forbes review.....Grrrr). It's unfair.
    I'm sorry. Wasn't my intention. I actually meant to say "Bond hating people". From which I got the feeling many US reviewers were like that. Again, my apoligies to the American Bond fans.

It's just....."SPECTRE" does not deserve a 62% RT rating (that Forbes review.....Grrrr). It's unfair.

Of course it bloody doesn't.

A fair few negative reviewers have a downer on Bond in general it seems rather than be critical of SP per se.
    It may not deserve it to you, but that's what it has, and it received that score for a reason. I'm sure there are lots of people who would say that 62% is way too high of a rating for it, too. The negative reviews aren't centralized to America, either, so it's not all coming from there. Wasn't it at a 70%-ish or so before it debuted in the US and started to receive reviews from American reviewers, anyway?

SP just may be Top 5 Bond for me after a few more viewings, but at this point, it's in sixth place, which is phenomenal to me, and I couldn't care less if it has a 5% rating or a 100% rating. I don't care if Douche Doucheface in NYC loves it or hates it; I was floored by it and that's all I really care about. Bring on more negative reviews from people complaining about things they don't understand or whining about scenes and tidbits that have existed in the series since the 1960's. It doesn't phase me at all.
  • DesmondBoothroydDesmondBoothroyd New England, USA
    American Bond fan here, who completely agrees the critics (US in particular) are far more harsh in their comments than the film deserves (I greatly enjoyed it).
    One, in particular, made a big deal of how unrealistic the scenes in Rome and New York looked to him. Yes, I said New York, as that was the basis of his discontent. I suspect the idiot didn't even see the film.
    He easily affirmed my long standing belief that critics, in general, are about as useful as a rubber crutch...
    @DesmondBoothroyd, did you miss the New York scenes? You must have fell asleep, as they were right after the part when Bond and Madeleine arrive on Mars and do battle with all the villains from each previous installment in the series.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DesmondBoothroyd, did you miss the New York scenes? You must have fell asleep, as they were right after the part when Bond and Madeleine arrive on Mars and do battle with all the villains from each previous installment in the series.

I seem to remember some years ago a critic in the UK slagged off a film.......then was caught out when questioned about the film, they admitted they hadn't even seen the film.
    What a muppet!

I seem to remember some years ago a critic in the UK slagged off a film.......then was caught out when questioned about the film, they admitted they hadn't even seen the film.
    What a muppet!

It's quite sad that an instance of something like that happening even exists.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

What a muppet!

Crap like that really makes my blood boil.
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    the Gun Barrel if Christopher Nolan directs a James Bond film :)

F1nox60.png
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That barrel isn't deep enough. Must...go...deeper.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    American Bond fan here, who completely agrees the critics (US in particular) are far more harsh in their comments than the film deserves (I greatly enjoyed it).
    One, in particular, made a big deal of how unrealistic the scenes in Rome and New York looked to him. Yes, I said New York, as that was the basis of his discontent. I suspect the idiot didn't even see the film.
    He easily affirmed my long standing belief that critics, in general, are about as useful as a rubber crutch...
    Yes, and accordig with some (American) critics, Tanger is in Tunisia ...
    :-S
    Anyway, a 62% in rotten tomatoes is not a tragedy, if the next President of the States got a 62% of the votes, he would be very pleased, . ;)
    Edit: The numbers and Box Office Mojo confirm a 28 million friday. The numbers talks about a 78 million weekend, while Deadline predicts 73-74+, but it considers a 27.5 million friday.

America doesn't care about going to the cinema anymore anyway, unless its for Michael Bay flag waving. China will be the primary market in a matter of months.

Right.. maybe we should just boycott all British films ...umm right after Bond. Oh wait that's a joint US/UK film.

Bond lost China with SF ..they prefer more Michael Bay.

What's wrong with flag waving anyway? Isn't Bond "flag waving"?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    From a critics standpoint, it's possible that they were expecting a more personal deeper film instead of a traditional Bond going back to the original formula with new innovative additions. Yes there was a focus on the past, but it didn't go as emotionally deep as CR/SF. For Bond fans, that shouldn't necessarily take away from the experience, but for critics who are not Bond fans, I do get it.

Do you remember the review of CR in which someone thought Montenegro was a fictional country made up for the film!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Cowley wrote: »

Do you remember the review of CR in which someone thought Montenegro was a fictional country made up for the film!

:))
    jake24 wrote: »
    Cowley wrote: »

If some critics had an extra brain cell they would be classified as 'plants'.

Amusing if critics are positive they are right and if they dislike the movie they are morons. My oh my.

GG as for the Mission Impossible movies they are pretty good competition which the EON formula needs in order to become stale. Am I glad we'll be getting a new Bourne movie which might up the ante. Both are decent franchises that together with the EON folks keep good spy movies alive in a spectacular way. I still think that the last MI movie should have done better at the US BO since you think the US audiences prefer their US cousins better than a certain 007.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Amusing if critics are positive they are right and if they dislike the movie they are morons. My oh my.

GG as for the Mission Impossible movies they are pretty good competition which the EON formula needs in order to become stale. Am I glad we'll be getting a new Bourne movie which might up the ante. Both are decent franchises that together with the EON folks keep good spy movies alive in a spectacular way. I still think that the last MI movie should have done better at the US BO since you think the US audiences prefer their US cousins better than a certain 007.

I think the problem the US audience has with the recent MI films.........is not the films so much themselves, but with the star Tom Cruise!..........Anyway we've gone off topic!

That amazes me as Tom Cruise is a real star with his fans, even if he has some weird religious ideas.
  • the Gun Barrel if Christopher Nolan directs a James Bond film :)

If SPECTRE had been done Memento-style, would it have ended with the best third act of any Bond movie ? :)
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    the Gun Barrel if Christopher Nolan directs a James Bond film :)

If SPECTRE had been done Memento-style, would it have ended with the best third act of any Bond movie ? :)

The barrell is from the prison scene in the dark night rises and bond is from skyfall :)
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    That amazes me as Tom Cruise is a real star with his fans, even if he has some weird religious ideas.

Cruise lost most though when he bounced on the sofa.

Fans forgive him when he's Ethan Hunt but shun him otherwise.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Cruise lost most though when he bounced on the sofa.

Fans forgive him when he's Ethan Hunt but shun him otherwise.

That's true. When he dumped Nicole and jumped on Oprah's chair it caused a lot of problems for him. Along with his religious beliefs. He was bulletproof before that. Oprah and her fans had way too much power at one time unfortunately.

A bit unfair really, but an example of what the US media tends to do to people who are 'larger' than them. That's why I had a feeling they would massacre SP.......because SF was bigger than them.

Having said that, not all of the criticism is unwarranted however. If the film had been better and more balanced, the narrative could have been much more positive from them, despite wrist slashing, Sonyleaks or Sam Smith. The film sort of played into their hands. It could have gone either way.......having seen it yesterday, I don't think there was a specific agenda. It's a polarizing film.