SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    patb wrote: »
    Give the guy some credit, it's far too simplistic to think he would come in and turn Bond into Batman. These guys do have some form of artistic sensitivity. Bondjames made a good point re his bankability in the USA which could be a tipping point but lets not forget that he CAN direct movies. I can think of fair worse choices for the next project.

I think the chance of Nolan has come and gone, I also think he would be going over even more old ground with it. He would likely also stick with his own cast so it would likely be Tom Hardy as Bond and Cillian Murphy as villain. I can't see him taking a light hearted approach to it. If anything he would try to do the gritty Bond thing in an attempt to better the Craig era.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,602

People focus on Batman and forget other projects, some fans (not all) are waiting for a more tense thriller for Bond and he can produce tension by the bucket loads. IMHO there is more tension and depth in this 4 mins than the whole of SP.
    PS I would rather have a director like Edward Zwick who directed Blood diamond, Defiance and the last Samurai.
    Sorry for contributing towards thread drift, one of my pet hates
    patb wrote: »
    Sorry for contributing towards thread drift, one of my pet hates

Well, real life conversations drift all the time... Thanks for the clip, it was good, and made me think... oh never mind, just more drifting here ... ;) - But also, by the end of that clip, the links to the other vids gave me a 2-part Nolan-Pacino conversation I hadn't seen before, which was fascinating, and also reminded me how much I've always liked Pacino.

So, well, thanks. :)

Re casting Hillary Swank was given a key role and she was excellent IMHO, the washed out colours, mist and darkness are very SF (or the other way around). Insomnia is often overlooked, a great thriller. Amazing to think that he was directing Pacino on only his third proper movie,
    anyone seen his first movie?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,081
    @patb - Yes, and I thought it was fantastic. (Btw, I don't mind the drifting at all, but somebody's bound to come along and bash our heads and tell us to sod off any minute now... ;) )
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    bash
    :P
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,021

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-spectre-peanuts-movie-1201635205/

James Bond’s latest outing, “Spectre,” has opened with a potent $5.25 million in Thursday night preview showings at 3,221 locations in the U.S.

The shows, which started at 7 p.m., generated 14% more business that the $4.6 million in Thursday night previews for “Skyfall” in 2012.
  • http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-spectre-peanuts-movie-1201635205/

James Bond’s latest outing, “Spectre,” has opened with a potent $5.25 million in Thursday night preview showings at 3,221 locations in the U.S.

The shows, which started at 7 p.m., generated 14% more business that the $4.6 million in Thursday night previews for “Skyfall” in 2012.
    Good news, I suppose, as I have never understood how this previews work.
    So far, so good. Peanuts doesn't get great reviews, so that might help. I still hope, it will get close to those 88 mill from SF.
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    BoxOfficeMojo prediction

boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4119&p=.htm

Spectre (3,929 theaters) - $82,509,000
    The Peanuts Movie (3,897 theaters) - $52,024,950
    bondjames wrote: »
    Nolan and Bond would be box office gold. His detractors have to understand this. It's a win-win if one is concerned about box office. Even if the resulting film is garbage (it won't be) it would kill at the box office.

What Would Nolan do with it though. With Batman he gave us a trilogy that Skyfall and Spectre take so much from already. Nolan said his next production is starting 2016 for a 2017 cinema release. For me Mendes and Craig's softened attitude on returning has my mind made up that they will finish the Craig era together. We wont see a new Bond director and actor until 2020 IMO.

I think it was said somewhere that Nolan wanted a new Bond actor if he was to take it on (can't remember where I read that) so he could shape it his way. This is after he spoke with Babs and before Mendes came back. So I'm pretty sure Nolan is in the wings if Mendes chooses not to return (in which case I think Craig is out too).

I'm pretty sure he could come up with a variety of ideas to make Bond interesting. I do not underestimate Nolan. People sing Mendes' praise here, but he owes a massive debt to Nolan imho. His creative vision is very impressive and being a Bond fan, he will know how to make it work. My only concern with him is his casting choices (particularly women). I have not been a fan to be honest. Plus he uses the same actors over and over again which is tiresome.

If Mendes does not return, as I said earlier Nolan has confirmed his next project goes in to production next Summer to be released the following summer. I doubt it is next Bond movie. I don't think with a likely new studio they will wait for a 2018/19 release to see a return. If it's Craig Mendes then I think the next film can come sooner as the delay on the last film was waiting for Sam to finish his other commitments (Charlie & The Chocolate factory and another theatre production) I reckon Next June if they confirm they will return there will be a production meeting late 2016, filming commencing Spring 2017 for a late 2017 release.

If a new Bond film went into production in Spring 2017 it wouldn't come out in late 2017, they typically take 6-8 months in production, then you have post-production after that. Principal photography (production) would need to start late 2016/early 2017 for a late 2017 release.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-11-06-north-america-thursday-night-report-spectre-guns-down-525m
    Friday Update #1: Sources report that Spectre pulled an estimated $5.25 million from Thursday night's first showings beginning at 7pm in 3,221 locations. That's a very strong start for Daniel Craig's fourth outing as 007, and the franchise's 24th overall. By comparison, Skyfall posted $2.2 million from 8pm IMAX shows and $2.4 million from midnight screenings three years ago, for a total of $4.60 million. Spectre's even earlier debut and in a climate where Thursday shows are increasingly more popular translates to an equally impressive opening. The question now becomes whether or not American audiences drive the film to a record debut like those in the United Kingdom and other countries did last week.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4119&p=.htm
    Thursday Preshow Update: Spectre kicked the weekend off with Thursday preshow screenings in 3,221 theaters where it brought in $5.25 million. Comparing to Skyfall's Thursday performance is tough considering Skyfall played in only 463 IMAX and premium large format theaters on Thursday where it grossed $2.2 million. Skyfall followed that performance up with an additional $2.4 million from midnight screenings before going wide on Friday. Considering the circumstances, some might say while that only adds up to $4.6 million, it's actually a more impressive performance considering the difference in theater count.

It's tough to gain a full picture from this performance given the factors involved, but below is a chart of films to offer up a variety of comparisons:
    --> "Skyfall" - $2.2m IMAX only Thursday & 2.4m Fri midnights / $88.3m opening
    --> "Straight Outta Compton" - $4.9m Thursday / $60.2m opening
    --> "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" - $4m Thursday / $55.5m opening
    --> "22 Jump Street" - $5.5m Thursday / $57m opening
    --> "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" - $5m Thursday / $85m opening
    --> "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" - $4.7m Thursday / $90m opening
    --> "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" - $4.1m Thursday / $72m opening
    --> "Fast Five" - $3.8m Thursday / $86.1m opening
    --> "Furious 6" - $6.5m Thursday / $97.3m opening
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Little late to the party, Gustav. ;)
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Little late to the party, Gustav. ;)

A bit, yes :-P. I still think do, that $52 Million opening for "The Peanuts Movie" is still the absolute max.
    tigers99 wrote: »
    Nolan and Bond would be box office gold. His detractors have to understand this. It's a win-win if one is concerned about box office. Even if the resulting film is garbage (it won't be) it would kill at the box office.

What Would Nolan do with it though. With Batman he gave us a trilogy that Skyfall and Spectre take so much from already. Nolan said his next production is starting 2016 for a 2017 cinema release. For me Mendes and Craig's softened attitude on returning has my mind made up that they will finish the Craig era together. We wont see a new Bond director and actor until 2020 IMO.

I think it was said somewhere that Nolan wanted a new Bond actor if he was to take it on (can't remember where I read that) so he could shape it his way. This is after he spoke with Babs and before Mendes came back. So I'm pretty sure Nolan is in the wings if Mendes chooses not to return (in which case I think Craig is out too).

I'm pretty sure he could come up with a variety of ideas to make Bond interesting. I do not underestimate Nolan. People sing Mendes' praise here, but he owes a massive debt to Nolan imho. His creative vision is very impressive and being a Bond fan, he will know how to make it work. My only concern with him is his casting choices (particularly women). I have not been a fan to be honest. Plus he uses the same actors over and over again which is tiresome.

If Mendes does not return, as I said earlier Nolan has confirmed his next project goes in to production next Summer to be released the following summer. I doubt it is next Bond movie. I don't think with a likely new studio they will wait for a 2018/19 release to see a return. If it's Craig Mendes then I think the next film can come sooner as the delay on the last film was waiting for Sam to finish his other commitments (Charlie & The Chocolate factory and another theatre production) I reckon Next June if they confirm they will return there will be a production meeting late 2016, filming commencing Spring 2017 for a late 2017 release.

If a new Bond film went into production in Spring 2017 it wouldn't come out in late 2017, they typically take 6-8 months in production, then you have post-production after that. Principal photography (production) would need to start late 2016/early 2017 for a late 2017 release.

Spring comes in March A December release I count that as 9 months brainiac
    @Gustav_Graves, I don't see the 'Peanuts' movie making $52 million, myself. Once the Friday BO numbers for it are released, we'll see.
    Well, from those initial figures it seems Spectre has got off to a strong start in North America, but not a spectacular one.........pretty much as expected really.
    What will really give us a better indication of SP's BO potential, will be when we get the figures for the full days play of the film on Friday...........to which we will know the figures around about tea time (UK time)! :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Well, from those initial figures it seems Spectre has got off to a strong start in North America, but not a spectacular one.........pretty much as expected really.
    What will really give us a better indication of SP's BO potential, will be when we get the figures for the full days play of the film on Friday...........to which we will know the figures around about tea time (UK time)! :)

Preview showings beat SF ..how is that not strong?

400 +more theaters, but its giving hope. Really, in the end nobody cares how good figures come together as long as they are there.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I did say strong start!

• Just for comparison's sake, the inflation adjusted US opening weekends of all recent Bond movies:

GE 40.9
    TND 37.2
    TWINE 50.7
    DAD 62.1
    CR 48.1
    QOS 74.6
    SF 91.51

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I did say strong start!

Me bad :( ...sorry.

dinovelvet wrote: »
    Just for comparison's sake, the inflation adjusted US opening weekends of all recent Bond movies:

GE 40.9
    TND 37.2
    TWINE 50.7
    DAD 62.1
    CR 48.1
    QOS 74.6
    SF 91.51

TND........may look weak, but it was up against that rowing boat 'Titanic'...anyway, overall TND did very well in North America.

TWINE.....was up against 'Sleepy Hollow', still TWINE opened up with an opening weekend some $10 mil more than TND, yet in the long run, the film, only just passed TND's US total.

QOS......no major competition, and opened big.........obviously on the good feeling towards Bond after CR. Mind you after this, the films takings dwindled quickly. Makes you wonder if QOS had been Craig's first Bond........we could of been looking at a LTK scenario in the US!

• Deadline.com just updated, they're declaring a $30 million Friday and $80 million weekend. Of course these are very early estimates.
    Early estimates seem to be unsure where exactly both SP and the 'Peanuts' movie will fall, so time will tell! Looks like if the flat $30 million Friday estimate is true, it just slightly falls behind SF's $30.5 Friday opening.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Deadline.com just updated, they're declaring a $30 million Friday and $80 million weekend. Of course these are very early estimates.

Yes.........its still too early yet for what the opening weekend for Spectre is gonna be.......i mean it must only be mid-afternoon at the latest on the Eastern side of N.America.
    I'am hoping film will do around $90 mil for weekend!.........will need to do around $35-40 mil on Friday to have a chance of reaching that mark though!