SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    True, but there are a lot of choices this Thanksgiving stateside, which could pull the casual fan. We'll have to see, but I think we'll have a more than 13% drop this time.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm really not an expert on this, will the bad reviews in the US hurt the BO?
    I've heard of movies that were short of buried by critics. This worries me quite a bit.

It will hurt the 3rd week definitely. I'm sure of it. 1st and 2nd week are a lock due to the pent up demand post-SF and the fact that there's nothing out there to compete with it at the moment.

However by week 3 this film has to walk on its own. Of course people like myself and all the other rabid Bond fans will be back by then to see it again, but that's not going to be enough. Negative reviews will, by week 3, possibly impact the casual fan, who may or may not have gone to see it (and who may be influenced by the negative talk).

SF only fell 13% in weekend 3 box office which was insanely good. SP will probably have a more dramatic 3rd week drop. Having said that, as I mentioned a few pages back, if it makes enough in weeks 1 (I'm still betting it's $100m despite poor reviews) and week 2 (as long as it's a less than 55% drop) we should still have a slim shot at beating SF's US gross or possibly coming close to it (around $290m) due to ticket prices, IMAX and other factors.

Word of mouth and reviews do have a psychological effect. If a film is reviewed very positively, then people want to see it know what all the fuss is about (think 6th Sense or TDK or SF for example). If it's average to poor reviews there is less incentive on the margin. I remember lots of people who weren't Bond fans starting up conversations about SF in 2012. A lot were doing that about CR in 2006 as well, And Bourne in 2001. It became a watercooler thing. I'm sure the same occurred with JW this year.

I think you are right on all points. It is going to be tough to get near $1B. Hopefully the rest of the world will back fill a potentially not so high US BO.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    smitty wrote: »
    It is going to be tough to get near $1B. Hopefully the rest of the world will back fill a potentially not so high US BO.

I think it might be able to. It's possible that the gross from other countries will make up for a potential US drop, but Mexico/China will be very important this time around possibly.
    It is going to be tough to get near $1B. Hopefully the rest of the world will back fill a potentially not so high US BO.

I think it might be able to. It's possible that the gross from other countries will make up for a potential US drop, but Mexico/China will be very important this time around possibly.

Regardless of what happens in those markets............Bond is going to make a shed load of money in Europe........particularly Germany, where if i remember correctly SF got around $85 mil.....and i think France did around $60 mil.
    The Australian BO will also be big for Bond!

Right again. Mexico and China could really make a big difference. Also Germany and France that were huge for SF both have to come through for SP very strongly too.
  • http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-second-best-james-bond-opening-peanuts-movie-weekend-box-office-preview-1201604894/

With the highest theater count ever for an opening of a Bond film in the USA, 3,927, I can't help but feeling that Deadline is wrong with this, conservative prediction for an opening weekend of $70-$75 Million.

"Skyfall" opened in 3,500 theaters and was able to open its first weekend with $88 Million (IMAX-thursday excluded).

If this prediction from Deadline stands, then it must have to do with the current lacklustre reviews for "SPECTRE" in the US. And then an opening weekend of $75 Million against a theater count of 3,927 doesn't bode well for the longevity of the film in the US. Surpassing the $1.1 Billion of "Skyfall" needs to happen in China, Europa and Mexico then.

Normally I would think that this movie could easily open with a weekend of $105-$115 Million. And I still think this could be the case.
    Well, the deadline reviewer found, it didn't have enough hunour, so this is telling reviewing the most humorous DC Bond film. Of all the things, you mmight say about the film to pick this is ridiculou, me thinks.
    Its not all negative. Torontosun gives it 4 1/2
    'Spectre' review: Daniel Craig's 007 hits the bull's eyes

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/03/spectre-review-daniel-craigs-007-hits-the-bulls-eye
    78% top critics 65 metacritic pretty solid if you ask me. If it get to 70 metascore and Earn a billion worldwide, then i am very happy
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yes 78% with top is good.
    Forget the US critics........if you base your judgement solely on other peoples reviews then you are doomed to not enjoying anything are you?...........remember SP has been a truly massive hit so far in Europe. Its quite clear that some critics say things just to make a name for themselves.......but at the end of the day, SP is part of a very expensive business, and many peoples jobs are at risk...........and it is tragic that some reviewers feel, who know jack shit about the franchise, think they can destroy it with their ignorance.
    Well, just wait a day, and go see the film for yourselves..........and if you don't i will pay you a visit! X(
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I liken this to Jackson following Thriller with BAD. No matter what he did, there was no way he was going to satisfy everyone (even with Quincy back). It started out real strong but then the bad press caught up with it. Having said that, I personally have always felt it's as good if not better than Thriller creatively, if a bit unbalanced, and a bit different.

Off the Wall is a totally different proposition (that would be the CR imho).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I like BAD so much better than Thriller which has really only 4 good songs on it!
    SF=Thriller
    SP=BAD
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    Forget the US critics........if you base your judgement solely on other peoples reviews then you are doomed to not enjoying anything are you?...........remember SP has been a truly massive hit so far in Europe. Its quite clear that some critics say things just to make a name for themselves.......but at the end of the day, SP is part of a very expensive business, and many peoples jobs are at risk...........and it is tragic that some reviewers feel, who know jack shit about the franchise, think they can destroy it with their ignorance.
    Well, just wait a day, and go see the film for yourselves..........and if you don't i will pay you a visit! X(

Let's see what happens :-). I still think "SPECTRE" will open bigger this weekend than "Skyfall" 3 years ago. It's simply...odd...if with a theater count of 3,927 you have 'only' an opening weekend of $70-$75 Million. It's by far not an indicator of a flop, but the story then would be "MGM/Sony should be bit disappointed".
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mepal1 wrote: »

Let's see what happens :-). I still think "SPECTRE" will open bigger this weekend than "Skyfall" 3 years ago. It's simply...odd...if with a theater count of 3,927 you have 'only' an opening weekend of $70-$75 Million. It's by far not an indicator of a flop, but the story then would be "MGM/Sony should be bit disappointed".

I agree. That would mean 200-250M US, a huge drop off from SF. No doubt this changes things when studios are looking to buy Bond.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119

I agree. That would mean 200-250M US, a huge drop off from SF. No doubt this changes things when studios are looking to buy Bond.

I think some people in here were actually right...about the negative influence of the SonyLeaks. They created an ongoing 'negative narrative' during the production of "SPECTRE".

I mean...ask yourself how you would feel if you were Daniel Craig.....and people on set of "SPECTRE" starting saying to you: "Hey Danny, did you hear about Amy Pascal? She is already talking about a future successor to you as Bond. His name is Idris Elba...".

Trust me, at one moment this narrative caught the attention of people working on the set. And perhaps this could have been an indirect incentive for Craig to 'don't give a shit anymore about who's going to succeed him'.
    I had no doubt that the leaked Sony emails would get exploited by some US critics, particularly lesser ones, and not in a good way. The press is always desperate for a negative angle and Sony gave it to them on a silver platter. EON, Craig and Mendes have to be livid at Sony. The Sony execs were bashing the script in the emails, bitching about the budget, etc. Obviously the last act was rewritten, but the damage was done. When you read what was said about Jolie and others, Craig got off easy, but Pascal's comment sparked the whole replace Craig press run. I'd love to hear Craig's real opinion of her now.

I think there will be some interesting articles after SP has had its run about the fury the SP team must have felt at Sony for how Sony's idiotic incompetence lead to the leaks which resulted in negative press for the film. SP may still be lucky, but the SP team can't escape entirely the mud that their own distribution studio threw on them.
  • Last American Reviews seem to be quite positve after yesterday nightmare. There is an interesting review/article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/11/04/review-spectre-a-flawed-but-worthy-sequel-to-skyfall/
    SPECTRE is going to be BIG BUSINESS this weekend in Switzerland.

Our local cinema complex (5 big screens) is showing Spectre on ALL screens several times a day from tomorrow on.
    And in many bigger cinema complexes Spectre is occupying most screens on prime-time.
    Only The Martian still gets placed at decent times on big screens.

TICKET SALES RECORDS WILL BE SHATTERED
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098

Our local cinema complex (5 big screens) is showing Spectre on ALL screens several times a day from tomorrow on.
    And in many bigger cinema complexes Spectre is occupying most screens on prime-time.

Well done..........doesn't surprise me, coz the Swiss have always been big Bond fans!....and contribute to a big BO haul!

Btw:- does the film open in all language areas of Switzerland this weekend?.........or is it a staggered release in your country?

edited November 2015 Posts: 8,087

I think some people in here were actually right...about the negative influence of the SonyLeaks. They created an ongoing 'negative narrative' during the production of "SPECTRE".

I mean...ask yourself how you would feel if you were Daniel Craig.....and people on set of "SPECTRE" starting saying to you: "Hey Danny, did you hear about Amy Pascal? She is already talking about a future successor to you as Bond. His name is Idris Elba...".

Trust me, at one moment this narrative caught the attention of people working on the set. And perhaps this could have been an indirect incentive for Craig to 'don't give a shit anymore about who's going to succeed him'.

Yes, it definitely seems like he already had that attitude before SPECTRE interviews started. Almost like he knew people would latch onto it.

Well done..........doesn't surprise me, coz the Swiss have always been big Bond fans!....and contribute to a big BO haul!

Btw:- does the film open in all language areas of Switzerland this weekend?.........or is it a staggered release in your country?

It opens in the German-language and the Italian-language region tomorrow as Italy and Germany have the same release date.
    The French-language region of Switzerland opens it one week later as France does too.

[/quote]

edited November 2015 Posts: 8,087
    SPECTRE has to gross $650M to break even:

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/spectre-box-office-1201633311/

Also, SPECTRE has risen back to 66% on RT. That's up from 64% this morning. Every little helps. :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Even if the film underperforms it will at some point make its profit.
    SPECTRE has to gross $650M to break even:

Also, SPECTRE has risen back to 66% on RT. That's up from 64% this morning. :)

Goes to show you what a fine line there is between success and failure in the film business.
    Makes you wonder if QOS, which cost $230 mil (production budget alone), actually turned a profit from its theatrical sales, or whether that film was saved by the worldwide home market DVD sales and rentals afterwards!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 725
    Review news is definitely better today. Travers at Rolling Stone just gave it a very good review and he has a hell of a greater reach than most of the twits on RT which I do admit to regularly checking to spot check reviews for new films before we decide to go out to see a film. link is: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/spectre-20151104

It's also good to see that the top critics from many big city newspapers are something like 14 to 3 fresh so far. Hey GG, what's the RT math on that? Must be much better than 66%.

Also, the NY Daily News gave it a good review and it has a huge NY city readership. I just hope the NY Times comes through. I definitely do now believe there was a narrative as @bondjames first brought up, that has shown up among lesser reviewers. I'm hopeful that the major critics will be more fair and not be looking for a Sony leaks angle.

• Yes interestingly the gap is widening between top and regular critics. If you look at the top critics section, it has 82%! Now interestingly a lot of the top critics specifically reference the series' history and what Bond Fans will like. Now I'm sure there are those who genuinely didn't like it for various reasons, but could it be that a lot of these nebulous lower end critics like "The Ooh Tray" and "The Skinny" or "The Movie Minute" writer* (which hilariously is a TWO PARAGRAPH review on a website that looks like it's from a 1997 template) are not that familiar with Bond history, and thus not really in touch with what Spectre is doing or achieving? How many of these have seen a Bond prior to 1995 I wonder?

*She actually writes "this Bond chapter left me a little bit shaken, but definitely not stirred." I wonder if she thinks she's the first person to ever come up with that zinger?
  • SPECTRE has to gross $650M to break even:

Also, SPECTRE has risen back to 66% on RT. That's up from 64% this morning. Every little helps. :)

Shouldn't be a problem. And as the article notes, that's box office only, not including ancillary deals. There are some sweet tie-ins, and paying to be involved with Bond isn't cheap. I don't know about anyone else in the US, but I'm being bombarded with Spectre related ads. The Land Rover one is everywhere, and I'm also seeing plenty of the Heineken and vodka spots, and of course the actual Spectre tv spots.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    There is a pattern here with the critics reviews, not just in the US but elsewhere....that the main critics for the top newspapers and TV channels, have given SP pretty much a big thumbs up.
    Its generally the reviewers from some low circulation publications, that have been hard on the film!

Oops sorry went off topic here! :)