SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• mepal1 wrote: »
    BO mojo............has the worldwide total for Spectre as of this moment at an estimated

$291,000,000.............North America $73,000,000..........Int $218,000,000

Should get the actual International breakdown of countries very soon!

299 million, now. It has been updated.
    In Germany the opening weekend will just be slightly above the opening of QOS, just like in the US. Far from Skyfall.
  • I think 800 million is quite easy to get.

UK: +100 million
    North America: near 200 million
    Germany + France + Italy: aprox 100 million
    Rest of Europe (excluding Russia and CIS): +100 million
    China: aporx 100 million
    Australia, NZ and Asia: aporx 100 million
    Russia (and CIS), Latin America, Africa and Middle East: near 100 million
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    smitty wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    I don't get the pessimism here, really. Sure, it was 15 million less in the US this opening weekend compared to SF but I keep hearing it's shattering records all over the place in other markets where it's opening, including doubling the Thursday/Midnight showing in the UK compared to SF. Global markets are huge now, way more important the domestic numbers, even when compared to just 3 years ago. Seriously, things have changed so much in this regard. I think the naysayers should check out BoxofficeMojo and look at the recent BO numbers for the big summer movies. They all list a huge percentage of their totals from other territories now compared to just a year or so ago.

You're 100% right. The US market is less and less important. SF made a huge 800 billion outside of the US.

Wow that IS huge. Makes you wonder what the fuss was about for the mere $300million budget.
    ;)
    Don't be fooled, any BO that SP makes less in the US will be compensated more than enough in Europe and the rest of the world.

I know the owner of two cinema complexes in my region (went to school with him), he told me this morning that both locations made record revenue on Thursday, Friday and Saturday including sales of beverages, food etc. In both complexes Spectre was the only movie showed on all three days except The Martian getting one screening on Saturday and The Last Witch Hunter one screening on Friday at Midnight.
    Even the screenings at 11 in the morning were more than half full on Saturday.

At least in Switzerland, it looks, that SP will shatter Skyfall's records.

Well done Switzerland! :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I hope SP does succeed financially. I did my part Thursday and Saturday lol. I'll try again this week.
    Don't worry the movie will do allright, the big cinema canon still has to arrive this year.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I hope SP does succeed financially. I did my part Thursday and Saturday lol. I'll try again this week.

Do or do not. There is no try. ;)
  • Some of the boys here are out of their mind: Bond should not be treated as a stock: buy/sell/hold? Why does it always have to show a rise in profits with every movie? Skyfall was an event and should be treated that way. Bond is not a quoted company where everyone expects a rise in dividends and stock prices every year. A drop in the box office is an opportunity to make changes and an even better 007 in the coming years. I absolutely adored SPECTRE, the movie is of course to break even, although possibly with lower profits to Share between the Broccoli's and the studio. 007 will always return.

Do you give a dam about American critics? I couldn't caress less!!!

Like in most of European markets, SPECTRE broke box office here in Portugal! Portuguese love James Bond!!!!!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Well....latest news is very good indeed...........latest reports state that SP is actually around the $300 mil mark worldwide.
    Germany $20.1 mil (with previews)
    UK total now is a staggering $100.2 mil............apparently the second weekend only dropped 29% to add $21.3 mil, and film is still ahead of SF by 6%........i'am surprised by this, as i thought film was going to drop slightly compared to SF.

Onwards and Upwards for Bond! :)
  • FormulaMasaFormulaMasa Finland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 6
    We are a very small market, but SPECTRE broke all records when it opened here in Finland. Just for trivia lol.
  • In Portugal (and even smaller market) the movie broke all records! ❤️
    God bless Europe.
    Oops sorry i didn't mention all the other countries..........but i havn't seen all the individual BO takings for each country.

Anyone who has figures for their respective homelands........please post here......thanks!

BTW:- as expected SP had an excellent start in Mexico with a $4.5 mil opening, twice as big as SF.

:)
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Oops sorry i didn't mention all the other countries..........but i havn't seen all the individual BO takings for each country.

Anyone who has figures for their respective homelands........please post here......thanks!

BTW:- as expected SP had an excellent start in Mexico with a $4.5 mil opening, twice as big as SF.

:)
    Good. Let's hope SP can be at least twice as big as SF in China.

• http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-james-bond-peanuts-movie-snoopy-maze-runner-china-international-box-office-results-1201614437/

Mexico doubled SF's debut.
    Germany biggest Saturday of all time
    Territories with a record best-ever for a November release include Austria, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Chile, and Bahrain.
  • In Portugal (and even smaller market) the movie broke all records! ❤️

Congratulations Portugal!!!

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    SP seems to open in most of Europe shattering SF's BO.

It will be very interesting to see which percentage the US will amount to in the end.$
    My guess is maybe less than 20%.
  • FormulaMasaFormulaMasa Finland
    Here are Finand's all time stats for opening weekend:
    1. 007 SPECTRE 136 252
    2. 007 Skyfall 113 000
    3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 93 000
    4. Twilight Breaking Dawn 91 000
    5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 90 000

All time opening weekend, pre-screening included
    1. 007 SPECTRE 175 362
    2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 154 000
    3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 149 000
    4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 139 000
    5. 007 Skyfall 137 000
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 252
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Territories with a record best-ever for a November release include Austria, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Chile, and Bahrain.

I think that's "only" IMAX Start-Records

Here are Finand's all time stats for opening weekend:
    1. 007 SPECTRE 136 252
    2. 007 Skyfall 113 000
    3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 93 000
    4. Twilight Breaking Dawn 91 000
    5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 90 000

All time opening weekend, pre-screening included
    1. 007 SPECTRE 175 362
    2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 154 000
    3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 149 000
    4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 139 000
    5. 007 Skyfall 137 000

cool, sadly the Swiss and the German will only release those numbers tomorrow the soonest I think. I'll be sure to post them here.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @bondjames

I'm not sure what shaping the narrative means to be honest, but if you look at most of the big BO movies of the last 5 years, many of them still would be on top of the lists when deducting the BO result of the US.
    In many cases the BO outside the US is up to 80% of the total.

The US results in 10 years time will be short of peanuts for the studios and not matter anymore.
    Let me explain. What I mean is even if the US becomes a less important part of the overall box office take, its influence (on EON, MGM, and on the narrative of how well the film has done) will be oversize. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Witness TDKR - massive hit globally (bringing in more than TDK) but seen as a relative failure with many because it did not scale the heights of TDK in the US (which was a phenomenon like SF). Same with Terminator Genisys and countless other films.

I mentioned this before SP was released and I stand by it. The US market will dictate how SP is viewed overall when the story is written on it (six months from now when the studio negotiations kick in).

Additionally, there is different profit participation from each market globally so box office gross does not tell the whole story.

There is more to it than the film itself. There is also the merchandising, and where the earnings are coming from ('quality of earnings') is critical, due to exchange rates, taxation, control, ability to influence and duplicate, and other factors.

The US is becoming less relevant in many areas, but like the UK it will continue to punch above its weight (culturally) for decades to come, and particularly when we are talking about films. The only other market that will really make a difference in the future is the Chinese one.
    I think 800 million is quite easy to get.

Agreed. It will at least beat MI-RN globally to become the 2nd highest grossing Bond film (without box office adjustments) and the highest grossing spy film of the year (in a competitive year). That should be enough for some bragging rights even if it doesn't quite live up to our oversize expectations..
  • SPECTRE scored $117M overseas this weekend and is #1 in all 77 markets

SPECTRE crossed the $100M in the UK in just 14 days of release--quicker than SKYFALL

@bondjames

Thanks for explaining. I agree :)
    SPECTRE scored $117M overseas this weekend and is #1 in all 77 markets

SPECTRE crossed the $100M in the UK in just 14 days of release--quicker than SKYFALL

Yes! Thanks for the info. Keep the good stuff coming.
    Put it this way SP is No.1 film in all of its current 77 markets!....according to ERC
    That means SP is currently 7th on the highest grossing films of all time in the UK and that's after just 2 weeks of release.

Clearly by the end of it's cinematic run, it's going to be, at bare minimum, 3rd on the all time list.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That means SP is currently 7th on the highest grossing films of all time in the UK and that's after just 2 weeks of release.

Clearly by the end of it's cinematic run, it's going to be, at bare minimum, 3rd on the all time list.
    What I want to know is whether it will dethrone SF. SF holds the #1 slot and no other franchise has ever succeeded itself at the top of the roost, so it will be interesting to see.

The fall off in the UK market is going to be another key determinant of how this film is looked back on. It opened huge, so let's see how it lasts. Hunger Games is not a challenge in the UK, unlike the US, so it should be able to continue holding...
    bondjames wrote: »

What I want to know is whether it will dethrone SF. SF holds the #1 slot and no other franchise has ever succeeded itself at the top of the roost, so it will be interesting to see.

The fall off in the UK market is going to be another key determinant of how this film is looked back on. It opened huge, so let's see how it lasts. Hunger Games is not a challenge in the UK, unlike the US, so it should be able to continue holding...

Personally, my gut feeling is it won't quite have the legs to beat SF but it will come pretty close. I reckon the 2 highest grossing films will be SF and SP (although we'll see whether Star Wars can spoil that party in December).
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 725
    I think no matter how much it makes in GB, it will be high and do very well. The issue is elsewhere in Europe and the far east and how well those countries make up for the short fall in the US. BJB noted some good starts in Europe, so hopefully it will do well there too. I hope it hits the magic $1 billion number but I think it will be tough. China is iffy. They have stacked all the big films right on top of each other in China. It will be like bumper cars over there. Does someone have the info on which films open when in the coming weeks in China?