SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed, but I think all of these movies next year are going to have to make their money in the first 2 or 3 weeks. There is more relevant competition next year compared to 2012, especially going into Christmas.

Bond normally has legs but this time I think they're going to have to get the butts in seats faster than normal (and I think this will organically happen anyway because of all the new fans in the Bond universe, courtesy of SF).

MI5 is the one that I worry about the most. If Cruise and co. get it together it will be formidable global competition for Bond going into Christmas, a time when Bond traditionally picks up steam (despite the normal November release). I think Cruise and co. were smart to push the release after SP rather than before (they released quite a bit before SF in 2012). The Force Awakens will also be formidable competition.

I'd have preferred a slightly earlier SP release, to get most of the key viewers in well in advance of these two movies, but then they'd lose more steam at the peak Christmas season. So they can't win.

Anyway, let's see how it plays out. A super teaser, maybe an additional cast member announced sometime next yr to keep buzz alive,.....who knows.

Retrospectively, they should have released the damn thing this year. It's been a dead BO so far and they would have cleaned up.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Hmm, regarding Mission Impossible. "Ghost Protocol" had a December-slot as well. It's more or less their slot. And I don't think it hasn't got anything to do with smart or not smart. Both M:I 5 and SPECTRE had to be removed from each other as much as possible, by still using their desired premiere months: November for Bond, December for M:I.

Let's see what the plot for "M:I 5" is like. Will it be slightly more dramatical? Will it have some better written characters? In case of outperforming the other film, "SPECTRE" will in the end win from "M:I 5"......I think.

The cast, so far for "M:I 5" doesn't impress me as much as the cast for "SPECTRE".

I do agree with 2014 though. It's indeed quite a "dead" year hehe.
    Sorry, you're correct. For some reason I thought MI4 came out the same yr SF came out. I forgot it was one full year earlier. I apologize.
  • Because back in December 2012 "Skyfall" suddenly managed to regain the no# 1 spot, regardless of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher.
    What does that mean ?
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,015
    bondjames wrote: »
    A few more points that are likely to come into play.

Well I searched all the recent posts that "analyze" SF's success at the box office. And I could not find a single time the word "Adele". Yet, the biggest promotion a Bond movie ever had for a long time surely had some impact in the box office, in my opinion... I dare say that in France for instance Skyfall's box office owes her. A lot.
    In all honesty, it's perhaps the shortest and most dramatic trailer ever for a Bond film.

Hmm.. with a Bond theme done by... ? :)
    Is "SPECTRE" than actually the first Bond film ever that will have a worldwide, globally aligned, release? Can someone answer that for me?

UK/US same global release date ? No. It happened before. And this forum already existed (in another shape). Ah the newcomers :)
    Well I searched all the recent posts that "analyze" SF's success at the box office. And I could not find a single time the word "Adele". Yet, the biggest promotion a Bond movie ever had for a long time surely had some impact in the box office, in my opinion... I dare say that in France for instance Skyfall's box office owes her. A lot.

You're correct. No doubt the success of Adele's single contributed to SF's success. I hope they get her back for SPECTRE (I read some rumours here that she's likely back).

However I don't think that she gave the film 'legs'. SF continued to draw in audiences week in week out for a long time (I was tracking it at the time). It really was the golden goose that kept giving. That was due to positive word of mouth. It resonated with viewers.

Ultimately though the best thing EON can do is craft an exciting story. That would be the cheapest & best form of marketing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    With Dave Bautista in the cast, his presence is sure to draw in wrestling fans which is a pretty huge demographic here in the states. :)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,015
    However I don't think that she gave the film 'legs'. SF continued to draw in audiences week in week out for a long time (I was tracking it at the time). It really was the golden goose that kept giving. That was due to positive word of mouth. It resonated with viewers.

I think exactly the opposite, in a sense that when all the promotion is over, when you cannot invite the actors on TV to talk about the movie that was released three weeks ago, then you're left with the song to play on radio.

In France, Adele was still #1 in the charts almost two months after the release of the movie. "Free" promo on air...

Yes it cannot help to go against a bad word of mouth. But you must take that into account when you try to understand how it could break all the limits. Skyfall owes a lot to Adele, in my opinion. I would not be surprised they secured her to try do it again, frankly.

I think exactly the opposite, in a sense that when all the promotion is over, when you cannot invite the actors on TV to talk about the movie that was released three weeks ago, then you're left with the song to play on radio.

In France, Adele was still #1 in the charts almost two months after the release of the movie. "Free" promo on air...

Yes it cannot help to go against a bad word of mouth. But you must take that into account when you try to understand how it could break all the limits. Skyfall owes a lot to Adele, in my opinion. I would not be surprised they secured her to try do it again, frankly.

Yes, maybe I have not fully considered her impact. I hope she did not have such an impact (it's a shame if the song can add such BO effect) but maybe she did. At least with a certain demographic. If anything, she raised awareness for the movie which may have indirectly contributed to interest over a few months, and therefore eventual backsides in the theatre (hence the 'legs'). I think she'll be back....
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I hope she did not have such an impact (it's a shame if the song can add such BO effect) but maybe she did.
    This is an industry, consider the insane amount of $ spent on the marketing.. You can even think sometimes they make movies so they have something to promote - hence all the sequels and so on...

You want another consideration not to forget about 2012 box office ? Make all the analysis you want to explain why Skyfall could beat TDKR based on its artistic merits. But don't forget that some guy killed some other guys in a theather showing TDKR during the first day of the release. It basically ended all the promo for it. Wordlwide. No actors wanted to do an interview about the movie. Did we have Marion Cotillard to do promo for it in France ? No. Everything was cancelled.

It may be tasteless to speak about that in a box-office thread, but the truth is that I know quite some things about box-office, and I read too often, too many persons who talks about the box-office as if it was linked to something of artistic value. When, frankly, it's all about context. ET killed Blade Runner :)
    I hope she did not have such an impact (it's a shame if the song can add such BO effect) but maybe she did.
    This is an industry, consider the insane amount of $ spent on the marketing.. You can even think sometimes they make movies so they have something to promote - hence all the sequels and so on...

You want another consideration not to forget about 2012 box office ? Make all the analysis you want to explain why Skyfall could beat TDKR based on its artistic merits. But don't forget that some guy killed some other guys in a theather showing TDKR during the first day of the release. It basically ended all the promo for it. Wordlwide. No actors wanted to do an interview about the movie. Did we have Marion Cotillard to do promo for it in France ? No. Everything was cancelled.

It may be tasteless to speak about that in a box-office thread, but the truth is that I know quite some things about box-office, and I read too often, too many persons who talks about the box-office as if it was linked to something of artistic value. When, frankly, it's all about context. ET killed Blade Runner :)

Yes, you're absolutely correct about TDKR. That lunatic did damage the BO for that movie, probably materially. It was sad, given all the work Nolan put into it. I think TDKR gets a bad rap because it did not live up to the hype at the BO, but people do forget that the shooting probably shaved a massive amount off the total BO.
  • I think it was "the combination" of all factors we have been mentioning in here that made SF so big. And SP we're still profiting from that benchmark.

Regarding the casting choices? As impressive as with SF. Christoph Waltz and Dave Bautista will indeed draw in certain new people. Their names are "hot sought brands" at the moment. People loved "Inglorious Basterds", "Django Unchained" and the surprise hit of this year, "Guardians Of The Galaxy".

Don't forget, even Daniel Craig admitted Thursday that he was amazed that these big stars want to be in a Bond film in the first place. Well Danny, to you...you caused this to happen partially, by advising Sam Mendes as director to your friends Barbara Broccoli ;). A Blofeld-esque stroke of a genius hehe.
    Have a feeling it will do another Billion, but not sure if it will be the biggest in terms of B/O though? So many big movies out next year!
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,021
    The team behind SPECTRE certainly know what a big year 2015 is and the string of other blockbusters that will open during the months of NOV/DEC. They have a bigger budget, DC himself has said that this time they have a better "script". Its pretty much guaranteed that this film will make at least a billion dollars worldwide. While the Mission Impossible franchise could be seen as a potential threat from taking away some of SPECTRE's box office I think there is plenty of room for the two films. SF came out during the 50th anniversary and there was a lot of hype around that. Add the Olympics and the Adele song and you have all those little extras that created major awareness in markets that might not have been interested in seeing a Bond in the cinémas. The major hook this time is the title "SPECTRE". While casual film goers might not realise what all this means I think over the coming months the marketing department will ensure that the general public become more and more aware of the importance of this in the Bond universe. SF definately had legs at the box office. It nearly doubled the gross of the previous film QOS which is often unheard of at the boxoffice (especially considering QOS wasn't as well received). SPECTRE will probably also be the first Bond film to open above $100m during its opening weekend at the US/Canada box office.
  • I think it's very difficult to get the billon dollar mark again. 2015 is going to be a very hard year, with movies as Star Wars and Avengers. Skyfall had all the 50th anniversary and London Olimpic Games buzz. In my view, a 700-800 M box office would be fair enough.
    I think it'll do a 1.2 Billion, but with that figure it can't take 2nd spot on biggest grossing movies of 2015. I think in the end it'll rank 3rd behind "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" and "Avengers: Age of Ultron".

Or 4th, depending on what "Jurassic World" (opens 06.12.2015), "Furious 7" (biggest chance of ending 3rd), "Ant-Man" (Marvel), "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (surprise hit?), "Mission: Impossible 5" (opens Christmas Day) and the most succesful animation movie of 2015 ("Paddington"? "SpongeBob 2"?) will do. "Kingsman" could really be the surprise hit of 2015.....

In any case, 2015 will also be a heavily packed "Spy-Action Year" :-P. Just look at this poster. February 13th it premieres worldwide:
    d2257dc.jpg

And the rest of "2015 Spy Year" :-P:
    09.01.2015: "Taken 3" (action, thriller) --> with Liam Neeson
    13.02.2015: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (action, spy spoof) --> directed by Matthew Vaughn
    20.03.2015: "The Gunman" (espionage, thriller) --> with Javier Bardem
    03.04.2015: "Furious 7" (action, thriller) --> with the late Paul Walker
    22.05.2015: "Spy" (spy spoof) --> the misadventures of secret agent Susan Cooper
    14.08.2015: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (espionage, action) --> directed by Guy Ritchie
    28.08.2015: "Hitman 2: Agent 47" (action, thriller) --> with Zachary Quinto
    06.11.2015: "Bond 24: SPECTRE" (espionage, thriller) --> directed by Sam Mendes
    25.12.2015: "Mission: Impossible 5" (espionage, thriller) --> with Tom Cruise
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Jurassic World is bound to do well, also.
  • Thanks @MayDayDiVicenzo :-). I completely forgot about that film....
    Don't forget Star Wars Episode 7 next December too!!! Although obviously it is not a spy movie! :))
    Star Wars is going to make the most that I'm/were sure of.
    I just saw the Kingsman trailer after seeing your post @Gustav_Graves. Looks very good indeed. I think I noticed some possible ski sequence in that film too.

I think EON should sue them over that poster. Homage though it may be, it is a direct rip of one of Bond's most outstanding & memorable posters (better than the film IMO).

They should at least get them to put "Inspired by the Producers of the upcoming James Bond Film, SPECTRE" in some fairly large print at the bottom of the poster. That should get SPECTRE & EON some free publicity. Better yet, have the teaser ready for Kingsman's release...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I really don't see Kingsman doing that well against the heavy hitters.
    The 2015 Blockbuster Calendar. I have included my predictions with colors.
    in blue --> The movies that can pass the $1.25 Billion Dollar mark
    in green --> The movies that can pass the $1.00 Billion Dollar mark
    in purple --> The movies that can pass the $750 Million Dollar mark
    in red --> The movies that can pass the $500 Million Dollar mark

The "Big Blockbuster Potentials" of 2015 ("SPECTRE" included):
    06.02.2015: "Jupiter Ascending" (sci-fi, adventure) --> with Mila Kunis
    27.03.2015: "Cinderella" (fantasy, adventure) --> Maleficent? Alice? It works
    01.05.2015: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (action, sci-fi, adventure) --> Marvel adaptation
    22.05.2015: "Tomorrowland" (sci-fi, family, adventure) --> big live-action Disney feature
    12.06.2015: "Jurassic World" (sci-fi, horror) --> with Chris Pratt
    19.06.2015: "Inside Out" (animation, family) --> first Pixar movie since 2013
    01.07.2015: "Terminator 5: Genisys" (sci-fi, action) --> with Arnie Schwarzenegger
    10.07.2015: "Minions" (animation, family) --> spin-off to Despicable Me
    17.07.2015: "Ant-Man" (action, sci-fi, adventure) --> Marvel adaptation
    07.08.2015: "The Fantastic Four 3" (action, sci-fi, adventure) -- > Marvel adaptation
    ???.09.2015: "The Hateful Eight" (western, crime) --> directed by Quentin Tarantino
    23.09.2015: "Hotel Transylvania 2" (animation, family) --> Sony's own franchise
    16.10.2015: "Crimson Peak" (horror) --> directed by Guillermo del Toro
    06.11.2015: "Peanuts" (animation, family) --> Snoopy returns!
    20.11.2015: "The Hunger Games 4: Mockinjay Prt. 2" (sci-fi, romance, adventure) --> sci-fi/romance works
    24.11.2015: "The Martian" (sci-fi, drama) --> directed by Ridley Scott
    18.12.2015: "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (sci-fi, adventure) --> need I say more?
    23.12.2015: "Kung Fu Panda 3" (animation, family) --> good franchise, not as succesful as Despicable Me

The "Spy/Action" movies of 2015 ("SPECTRE" included):
    09.01.2015: "Taken 3" (action, thriller) --> with Liam Neeson
    13.02.2015: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (action, spy spoof) --> directed by Matthew Vaughn
    20.03.2015: "The Gunman" (espionage, thriller) --> with Javier Bardem
    03.04.2015: "Furious 7" (action, thriller) --> with the late Paul Walker
    22.05.2015: "Spy" (spy spoof) --> the misadventures of secret agent Susan Cooper
    14.08.2015: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (espionage, action) --> directed by Guy Ritchie
    28.08.2015: "Hitman 2: Agent 47" (action, thriller) --> with Zachary Quinto
    25.12.2015: "Mission: Impossible 5" (espionage, thriller) --> with Tom Cruise

My personal must-see's for 2015 are ;-):
    --> "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (can't wait!!)
    --> "Gunman" (Sean Penn, Javier Bardem guys!)
    --> "Furious 7" (honouring Paul Walker, last two films were surprisingly good!)
    --> "Ant-Man" (only one Marvel focussed on one comic book character only)
    --> "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (can't wait!!)
    --> "The Hateful Eight" (despite of unoriginal premise...it's Tarantino)
    --> "SPECTRE" (duhhh!!)
    --> "The Martian" (wunderful premise: "Gravity", but then on Mars, nice tie-in with NASA's new Orion missions, following up the famed Apollo missions)
    --> "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (not fan of marketeer J.J. but it's Star Wars)
    --> "Mission: Impossible 5" (i have a feeling it'll have more complex drama/characters, as it will copy from "Skyfall")
    @Gustav_Graves Ant-Man and Furious 7 have absolutely no chance of passing the 1 Billion dollar mark world-wide. As for where Spectre will end up by the end of the year: I predict that it will be at the 4th place in North America behind Avengers 2, SW VII and the last Hunger Games movie. World-wide it will be 3rd behind Avengers 2 and SW VII.
  • @Gustav_Graves Ant-Man and Furious 7 have absolutely no chance of passing the 1 Billion dollar mark world-wide. As for where Spectre will end up by the end of the year: I predict that it will be at the 4th place in North America behind Avengers 2, SW VII and the last Hunger Games movie. World-wide it will be 3rd behind Avengers 2 and SW VII.

Actually, I was still working on my prediction @PanchitoPistoles ;-). I must agree with you on "Ant-Man". I changed it after your remark. But also when I think about previous new Marvel movies. They simply don't hit the 1 Billion Dollar anymore. Especially when it concerns the films focussed on a "single character". Public becomes slightly Marvel-tired. So I put "Ant-Man" in purple again.

"Hunger Games"? They kick off very well, but they don't show a lot of longevity. All three films so far haven't managed by far to hit the 1 Billion. Moreover, the 3rd isn't as succesful as the first two. And I have a feeling that public becomes a bit tired of spreading out one book over 2 films. Moreover, the franchise is not so much of a competitor to Bond. Just look at "The Twilight Saga" november 2012: It really did not prevent Bond in that same month to ramp up an incredible 1.1 Billion.

"Avengers 2" is a deadlock for first place I think. So is "Jurassic World". I'm not fan of these franchises, but they have incredible marketing on their sides. "SPECTRE" and "Star Wars 7" will maybe battle for 3rd place. "Hunger Games 4"? No TOP 5 for me at the end of the world wide box office road.

"Furious 7"? Do not forget, Paul Walker is dead. That fact, how sad it may sound, will help the franchise cashing even more than "Furious 6", which won $788,679,850 at the worldwide box office.
    @Gustav_Graves The Hunger Games movies aren't that big worldwide but they are HUGE in North America. The first two movies in the series both made more than 400 million dollars in the USA+Canada. As for Jurassic World: I very much doubt it will come close to Spectre in North America and there is no way it will make more than Spectre worldwide.
  • @Gustav_Graves The Hunger Games movies aren't that big worldwide but they are HUGE in North America. The first two movies in the series both made more than 400 million dollars in the USA+Canada. As for Jurassic World: I very much doubt it will come close to Spectre in North America and there is no way it will make more than Spectre worldwide.

I know ;-). But I'm only looking at the total worldwide figures ;-). That is what interests me. Especially since new markets like China have become very important. It'll be interesting to see what SPECTRE can do in China. Sony has to do better there compared to SF (SF could have hit the 1.3 Billion if it did better in China).
    It's unlikely since China was in fact featured in SF. The problem was the staggered release I think. By the time it got to China I'm sure it was available bootlegged & in reasonable quality.
    It's unlikely since China was in fact featured in SF. The problem was the staggered release I think. By the time it got to China I'm sure it was available bootlegged & in reasonable quality.

I'm pretty certain Sony has learned its lesson by now. But on the other hand, the Chinese government really decides this in the end. Also, it is a fact that Chinese public was not very much impressed by the film. So there's a lot to improve in China. SPECTRE will get better wings, better "tentacles" in China I believe ;-).

For US/Canada only, here's already a box office prediction: https://boxofficefrontier.wordpress.com/early-box-office-forecast/2015-box-office-forecast/

It says SPECTRE currently has a $340 million box office outcome, compared to SF's $304 million. I'd say it can swirl up to $365 Million in USA/Canada, plus $100 Million in China = $465 Million + another 804 Million (like SF) rest of the world = 1.269 Billion wordwide.
    Wild guess, SP could top SF. Sure, why not? I can roll with the math one post above.
    But coming under, shy of the one billion mark would still be a success, I think.
    I won't give this matter much thought. All Bond movies make lots of money. SP just needs to perform comparable to its 3 immediate predecessors.