Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    She's not Barbara Gordon, nor is she the other character you mentioned.
    She is no one really but I never bought into the Robin bat girl tumors anyways so I am not really dissapointed
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    But I thought it was confirmed by a lot of major/official sources that she was Babs? Man, what a drag. I had a lot riding on her being Barbara, as she'd be perfect. I kind of want to look up who she's playing, but part of me also wants to keep it a surprise, if I even want to be surprised by this. Damn.
    Had to see who Malone was playing, the character will for sure be prominent in some of the other movies.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,257
    But I thought it was confirmed by a lot of major/official sources that she was Babs?

Just wishful thinking. It was literally never confirmed, just highly speculated and many sources just ran with it. It is a bummer though, I would have definitely liked to see her as Oracle. But as @fire_and_ice, we may very well see more of her character in the future.
    It seems that the Ultimate Edition was prematurely made available on CinemaNow yesterday for those who pre-ordered it. It has since been removed but a number of people were able to download or stream the whole thing.

Someone posted a summary of the new content Tumblr:

http://dicapriyos.tumblr.com/post/145858657724/batman-v-superman

I clicked, I read, and now I am disappointed. It's not going to be a day 1 purchase now.

Not a lot of Ms. Malone, I assume, @MajorDSmythe?

Without saying too much, I have never heard of the character, and had to google her. I feel like Snyder led us down the path to nothing. So much mystery for what I suspect is a minor character, maybe hardcore fans will get a kick out of seeing the character onscreen in the same way that if EON cast Sir James Moloney in Bond#25.
    What you descibe is very much what Marvel does all the time, it´s nothing extraordinary.

BvS getting positive reviews for the Ultimate edition, I am the in UK so have to wait till end of July for its release [-(
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I watched the Ultimate Edition this evening and it is a massive improvement. It likely won't change the minds of those who didn't like the film at all but for someone like myself who found it "okay, but disappointing" it added a huge amount of context and reasoning. And even though it's longer, it flows much better and as a result doesn't feel as long as it is. It's still not perfect by any means but I enjoyed it far more than I did in the cinema.

Snyder got a really tough time based off the theatrical version, which is a shame in my opinion. If this was his real idea for the film overall then perhaps he's not as bad as he has been made out to be.
    A few movie reviewers have said very similar things with regards to fleshing the film out, I liked the theatrical cut though a improved longer cut is welcome. Snyder has indeed got a lot of hate, hope this is som
    A few movie reviewers have said very similar things with regards to fleshing the film out, I liked the theatrical cut though a improved longer cut is welcome. Snyder has indeed got a lot of hate which was unfair, though some hate because it's just in there nature.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,257
    I saw the Ultimate Cut last night and agree with @CraigMooreOHMSS. It is indeed a big improvement. The story is much more coherent and the cascade of scenes in the first half of the film feel more cohesive. Lex seems to benefit a lot from the additional content. You get a clearer picture of how he is orchestrating everything. Clark gets a bit more dialogue and screen-time as well. The scene in Africa is also expanded heavily, which is important since it is central to much of the plot.

So if you had issues with the film feeling disjointed or incomplete, the UC may at least change your opinion a bit in that regard.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It's good to hear that it enhances the fill and does not just pad it. James Cameron's Director's cut of the Abyss does the same.
    Looking forward to seeing this I think batman v superman suffered similar problems that Spectre did which was too much story in not enough hours...

One wonders if they had both been two parters how the films would of indeed been different and possibly better
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,691
    I've also seen the Ultimate Cut. I did enjoy the version released in cinemas, but I still thought the extended cut was a big improvement. The first hour of the film is completely different with all the stuff they added.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing this I think batman v superman suffered similar problems that Spectre did which was too much story in not enough hours...

One wonders if they had both been two parters how the films would of indeed been different and possibly better

For one, in a two-parter Batman and Superman would have actually fought, and not had a meager four minute squabble.

I'd have loved to see Batman v Superman be more like TDKR in regards to the dynamic between Batman and Superman, and the sides they played for. More stress should have been placed on the drawbacks of vigilantism and the collision with that type of crime fighting and law enforcement, showing Gotham's heroes getting arrested and put behind bars while Batman continues his fight, forced more underground each month as searches and busts increase.

Superman post-MoS would be in a vulnerable position, still trying to desperately show the public that he can be trusted. He gets meetings with legions of political advisors to work towards being Earth's true protector, but instead these suits manipulate his goodness and honest intent to basically use him their weapon/pawn in wrapping up America's problems in a nice bow wherever they pop up. While Superman thinks he's saving the world/making people safer taking down warlords and other assorted crime world wide, he's really just acting in areas where the US government wants him to to facilitate a series of coordinated and methodical plans they have set in motion that benefit them and their benefactors/investors.

Naturally, through the government circles, Superman would meet with Lex, and together he and the people in power would send Superman on a mission to bring Batman and other vigilante heroes in, as their actions are dismantling operations they are trying to net money from, though they lie and say they just want those working outside an elected system to be stopped and their powers checked. In addition, the government only wants heroes they can control to their own gain (again, like Watchmen with Supes as an unwitting Dr. Manhattan), so maverick heroes like Batman that refuse to compromise are dangerous, especially when Bruce knows the government is doing evil with Superman as their pawn.

There would be plenty of conflict for Superman in the story, as he starts his partnership with Earth's governments thinking he's actually helping the people, until he realizes his innocence and goodness is being used falsely by those in power for their own gains. Lex would start out as an enriching friend and partner to Superman, before he is revealed to be no better than government officials with stakes in the parts of the world they send Superman to stabilize or ruin, depending on their needs. They would then have a clash, sparking their rivalry for the rest of the series of films, setting them both on two separate sides of the moral line.

Seeing Superman, a symbol of justice and righteousness used by a government that tries to espouse such ideals to their public would be an interesting clash, when the latter are revealed for what they truly are as Superman finds himself at the center of a complex affair of deceit and extreme jingoism let off the chain. Batman of course would be the source of the revelation Superman has about the government, as he points out the true motivations of the people who have Clark on the leash every time they collide. When they did have their big fight, then, they would actually be having a tangible conflict where both men are fighting for their own principles, Batman for vigilantism and Superman for justice-seeking, as Batman has been painted negatively by his masters. The fight wouldn't be all about Batman simply wanting to kill Superman, with Superman standing there only to be punched and made the fool. Real stakes would be involved.

The film would've introduced the heroes of the JLA organically, as targets for Superman to bring in. Aquaman could be used interestingly, as he is angry at how the attack led by Zod on Earth affected the oceans. His conflict against world governments and Superman as Earth's protector would be two justified strategies that would kick off, as the king of Atlantis takes his anger directly to those in Washington. Part of the film would see Superman facing each hero, from Aquaman to Flash and Wonder Woman as they are introduced through their fights with him, where they would clash physically and mentally. At the time Superman would feel he is doing the right thing, as his ear is being talked off about how these "heroes" are anything but, and are instead dangers to the public that work free of checks and balances (largely Lex talking on behalf of his benefactors). Superman will fail to see the bad in the men he's working with, blinded by his own desire to help in any way he can, before it's too late for him to see what's truly going on.

At the end of the film you could have all the heroes of the future JLA locked away in cells, the place the government sent them to after Superman brought them in (not knowing their fates). The end of the film would see Batman and Superman freeing the heroes from the facility when the plot is discovered, where the heroes are being tested on by those in the government to create beings just like them that they could control for their own needs, largely as military weapons. Lex's bots and other assorted robotic guards could be used as enemies (the cells could even be housed deep inside Lex Corp and hidden underground), and when the day is saved, the JLA would be formed as a true team of protectors for Earth working on their own outside of government influence and control, for the right reasons, all led by Superman.

That's the kind of film I wanted to see.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bunch of new BTS images from the BvS featurettes.

tumblr_o9hyr9UVC21uorz8zo5_250.gif

I approve this.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, it was rather nice. :)
    I've also seen the Ultimate Cut. I did enjoy the version released in cinemas, but I still thought the extended cut was a big improvement. The first hour of the film is completely different with all the stuff they added.

Warner Bros. really made a balls of the theatrical version. The scenes they took out were quite insignificant on their own terms but together they added quite a bit to the badly paced first act we were treated to back in March.

First ten minutes of the Ultimate cut, awesome IMO.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 8,041

First ten minutes of the Ultimate cut, awesome IMO.

I love that shot of the pistol caught in the pearl necklace.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Some fantastic imagary in this film, like the homage to Dark Knight Returns pt2 when Bruce sees the horse in the mist. Thankfully I can get a digital copy in the UK on the 18th July, watching this opening ten minutes gave me chills.
    Martha's death very powerful scene, more so when Thomas last word is Martha as they both die, that would resonate with Bruce on such a deep level.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm really looking forward to the director's cut.
    Has anyone else checked out the Ultimate Cut yet?
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, going to soon, sometime in the next couple days. I will post my thoughts, then be done with it for good, as I've said my piece and even I'm getting tired of talking about Batman and Superman.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, going to soon, sometime in the next couple days. I will post my thoughts, then be done with it for good, as I've said my piece and even I'm getting tired of talking about Batman and Superman.

Fair enough @0Brady - I can understand why. :P
    Can't wait to get it- it'll be a steelbook too!
    I saw BvS three times, and Civil War once! ( loved both- just throwing that out there)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 5,185
    i have seen the Ultimate cut already.
    As someone who liked the Theatrical Cut a lot, i have to admit, now looking back at it i maybe shouldn't have.
    Because after watching the Ultimate cut i can honestly say that the movie makes a lot more sense to me now, in terms of character motivation and overall story.

The first half is much better explained. The chopped up feeling of random scenes following each other is gone.

Only (obvious) downside to that is, that the movie feels longer, with more dialog sences added and not much more Action.

I do have to say though, that for people who felt that this movie was to grim and dark, and who didn't like batman killing people, this cut will do nothing to reedem itself. Rather the opposite.

After watching the UC i don't think i would ever want to see the TC again, as there are too many important scenes missing
    @00Agent, that sounds very interesting, because I too loved the theatrical cut, but I´m more and more looking forward for this version.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 5,185
    @boldfinger you should.
    i think anyone who liked the TC at least in some parts will love this UC.
    It feels much more complete, and like the actual movie should have been from the start and not like some Extended cut with minor added scenes that add nothing to the main plot.
    Quite the contrary, all added scenes revolve around the main plot and the characters that are already established, but everything here has more room to breathe and becomes much clearer because of that. I see a lot of scenes with very different eyes now, like the whole 'Martha' thing. There are a couple moments that will be definitly clearer after you watch the UC, but i don't want to spoil any