Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Keaton Batman movies are infinitely better than BvS. They are not even in the same universe quality wise.
    Snyder is not even in the same league as genius Tim Burton.

I will say this, the Burton films contain one of the best Batman/Bruce moments we've seen on screen yet. In Returns, when Selina and Bruce are at that gala, beneath the mistletoe, and they both repeat the line they told each other as Batman and Catwoman. That moment where you see Bruce and Selina realize who each other really is is phenomenally acted, and that scene was a fantastic way to do that kind of reveal, when they both think their secrets are masked from one another in that public setting.

I plan on doing a Burton rewatch soon, just to do it again after a while away. I'd watch Returns again for that gala scene alone.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,020
    The Keaton Batman movies are infinitely better than BvS. They are not even in the same universe quality wise.
    Snyder is not even in the same league as genius Tim Burton.

I will say this, the Burton films contain one of the best Batman/Bruce moments we've seen on screen yet. In Returns, when Selina and Bruce are at that gala, beneath the mistletoe, and they both repeat the line they told each other as Batman and Catwoman. That moment where you see Bruce and Selina realize who each other really is is phenomenally acted, and that scene was a fantastic way to do that kind of reveal, when they both think their secrets are masked from one another in that public setting.

I plan on doing a Burton rewatch soon, just to do it again after a while away. I'd watch Returns again for that gala scene alone.

I was 17 when Batman Returns hit the theaters. When I saw Michelle Pfeiffer meowing her way through the scenery I realised I should have put on less tight trousers ;)

Look at this clip with her best scenes, she's so damn hot.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/814QnE7yhts"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My favourite quote: Honey, I'm home! ... Oh, I forgot, I'm not married!
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 6,432

:))

On Batman Returns it stands up well, the best shot is Batmans reaction to penguins with missiles. It was just a shame Batman was hardly in his own film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @fire_and_ice, the "I can't believe this is actually my life" look Batman gives after the penguins fire at him is priceless.

As for the other comment, it is quite clear that Burton was far more interested in Batman's rogues than the man himself. Also of note is that he picked the most gothic of the villains to focus on, with Joker, a grungy Penguin and a jet black latex Catwoman filling out the set. I imagine he'd have pursued Scarecrow soon after, if he kept directing the films. That would've been really interesting to see, actually.

I picture Burton having it so that Crane gases Batman, and for a whole sequence of the movie whenever we see the city through Bruce's eyes, Gotham appears to be on fire. I think that'd been really cool to see in a Burton film.
    @fire_and_ice, the "I can't believe this is actually my life" look Batman gives after the penguins fire at him is priceless.

As for the other comment, it is quite clear that Burton was far more interested in Batman's rogues than the man himself. Also of note is that he picked the most gothic of the villains to focus on, with Joker, a grungy Penguin and a jet black latex Catwoman filling out the set. I imagine he'd have pursued Scarecrow soon after, if he kept directing the films. That would've been really interesting to see, actually.

I picture Burton having it so that Crane gases Batman, and for a whole sequence of the movie whenever we see the city through Bruce's eyes, Gotham appears to be on fire. I think that'd been really cool to see in a Burton film.

Burton's films have a good place in the history of Batman and true the gothic aspects certainly are more prominent in Returns, its a visual treat on BD it really is. There were elements that frustrated me years ago, though I can enjoy the film for what it is now. The Penguin in his ducky going up the stairs is right out of BTAS, or it certainly influenced it.

The particular aesthetics Burton and his team played with certainly live on today in a big way. The massive part gargoyles and cathedrals play in today's Batman comics, films and games that really flesh out Gotham's haunting skyline owe a lot to the Burton films. And Danny Elfman's score takes all the visuals to another level entirely. One of the greatest themes we'll ever hear is contained in his Batman score. Just magic.
    Also choosing Prince to do the songs was bloody historically brilliant.

Ok, I'm biased as I loved that man with all my heart. And I miss him badly.

There's no telling how much pleasure Prince's 1989 album has given me especially because it was the music to my dream come alive on screen.
    The particular aesthetics Burton and his team played with certainly live on today in a big way. The massive part gargoyles and cathedrals play in today's Batman comics, films and games that really flesh out Gotham's haunting skyline owe a lot to the Burton films. And Danny Elfman's score takes all the visuals to another level entirely. One of the greatest themes we'll ever hear is contained in his Batman score. Just magic.
    I remember being sat in the cinema when Elfmans theme played as the camera panned over the bat logo in 89, it was pretty awesome I remember it vividly.

Also choosing Prince to do the songs was bloody historically brilliant.

Ok, I'm biased as I loved that man with all my heart. And I miss him badly.

There's no telling how much pleasure Prince's 1989 album has given me especially because it was the music to my dream come alive on screen.
    I had both Albums on cassette, Princes anarchic tracks worked well in the film.
    I wish I had been of alive to see Batman 89 in theaters, back when a lot of what we have so much of now (superhero films) was somewhat uncharted territory.
    I wish I had been of alive to see Batman 89 in theaters, back when a lot of what we have so much of now (superhero films) was somewhat uncharted territory.

It certainly made a difference going blind into a film like that, bar a trailer on tv and a magazine spread pre release you knew nothing about the film.

edited July 2016 Posts: 9,020

True. But then I really would like to be your age again (and that good-looking).

At 15 Batman 1989 changed me. Before I had everything just in my imagination, I had read countless Batman / Justice League comics.
    I was drunk with happiness after seeing it the first time. I can remember stumbling onto the street not believing what I just experienced. I couldn't even speak to my friend who was there too. I remember clearly how the cold air felt outside, how the street lights dazzled me, what my friend was wearing. It was one of those rare moments when I was completely truly happy and all sorrows were gone.
    I used up all of my pocket money to re-watch it again several times.

Only two other movies did similar things to me in my teenage years.
    The Living Daylights and Lethal Weapon, both for different reasons.

You know me quite a bit by now Brady, you know I waited all my life for The Justice League to happen in live action, and it will next year. I'm still young inside and capable of getting totally lovestruck like a teenager with a movie (happened only last November with Spectre :) ) and I pray JL will do that to me.
    @BondJasonBond006, having recently read through some of the information journalists posted after their visits to the London set, it does appear that our concerns have been heard by DC and Warner.

I've read Bruce is now living in Superman's image and doing good again, being a hopeful person and creating the team as a tribute to Kal. More fun is being injected so that it isn't so dreary, and it seems like DC and Warner are backtracking and giving us more of the heroes we were calling for. And of course, Snyder's control has been lessened and more capable creative voices are being put in place to navigate this film's production.

At this point, we've had great Batman films before in recent memory (Nolan's trilogy), but Superman hasn't been so lucky. My big hope for this movie is that they finally give Cavill something to work with as the character to truly make him feel like the Superman he deserves to be. I know so many people who have been waiting for a great Superman to support, and they're still waiting. It'd be great to have a finale in the JL film where all of the team are scrambling to survive and are doing poorly against a threat, only for Superman to rise up and be the hero he's been destined to be, helping them all save the world.

I'd also love to see Superman give a speech to the people of earth to cement his mission to help them, as he should've been able to in BvS.

Something like this:

"People of Earth, I know we have had our conflicts in the past. You wondered if I could be trusted, if I was worthy of my place as your protector, and if my intentions were true in pursuit of that mission. Since I revealed myself to earth, unforeseen threats have plagued the planet, and life itself seemed fleeting and worrisome for all who felt threatened by enemies arriving from galaxies previously unknown. Well, I am here to tell you all today that you can worry no longer, because I, along with my fellow members of the Justice League, are here for you. Today I tell you with honesty in my heart that in times of danger and uncertainty, I stand with you. I stand with you because I am one of you, and have grown attached to this planet over many years, blending in as one of your own. I know I haven't earned this trust from you all yet, but I hope to if you are willing to provide me the chance. On my home planet of Krypton, this symbol on my chest was meant to represent the great ideal of hope. Of endurance and positivity in the face of cynicism and darkness. And, although my home no longer exists, I promise you that that same ideal of hope will carry me forward on this planet, my new home, as I endeavor to protect the people of earth from any threat, near or far. I stand here before you today to tell you that hope can exist again. That it will. That it must."

This is funny, Cavill certainly capable of a lighter side.
    I love it when actors go on the con floor in costume. I also love that Henry exclusively sought out people wearing Superman t-shirts to take pictures with. He definitely seems to love the character, so here's hoping he gets some great material to work with in the future.
    I love it when actors go on the con floor in costume. I also love that Henry exclusively sought out people wearing Superman t-shirts to take pictures with. He definitely seems to love the character, so here's hoping he gets some great material to work with in the future.
    Hopefully his post rebirth will eventually lead to him being the confident Superman, I am being leaniant and giving benefit of doubt that that is the arc that has been set up for the character.
  • RC7RC7

The Burton aesthetic is beautiful. I hear a lot of love for Returns, more so than Batman, but I find myself firmly in the Batman camp. I think it's superior on pretty much every level, especially in terms of execution. Batman has more sweep to it, where Returns feels claustrophobic. I think the use of location, set and model work blends beautifully, where Returns struggles to elevate the production design (on the whole) above theatre work.

It's clear to see that the expanse of the Pinewood backlot and the superior sound stages facilitated this more than the comparatively smaller Warner studios did for Returns. This is for me where the former rises above the latter. Scenes are populated, atmospheric and seamlessly blend reality with fantasy. I feel like the film takes place in a living, breathing Gotham. Returns, on the other hand, feels more like a pre-fab theme park world, or theatre set. Anyone else feel this?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Risico007 wrote: »
    So Brady you must hate the Keaton batman films as well right?

Buster Keaton made a BatMan film?! I'd love to see that! (LOL)
    Speaking of actors who would of made a good batman am in the only one who thinks Roy Scheider circa 1975 would of made a pretty good batman?
    If a Batman movie was made in the 70's Sheider would have been a great choice!
    Robert DeNiro, Burt Reynolds or Robert Redford would have been great too- and if only he was a better actor, Chuck Norris would have been an interesting one
    Chuck Norris is Batman, silly!
    And Supes.
    And Wonder Woman.
    13754547_1187433174627253_5724248608701771534_n.jpg?oh=48fa6068a5587f04ad893980f2b9e501&oe=5833B588
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »

The Burton aesthetic is beautiful. I hear a lot of love for Returns, more so than Batman, but I find myself firmly in the Batman camp. I think it's superior on pretty much every level, especially in terms of execution. Batman has more sweep to it, where Returns feels claustrophobic. I think the use of location, set and model work blends beautifully, where Returns struggles to elevate the production design (on the whole) above theatre work.

It's clear to see that the expanse of the Pinewood backlot and the superior sound stages facilitated this more than the comparatively smaller Warner studios did for Returns. This is for me where the former rises above the latter. Scenes are populated, atmospheric and seamlessly blend reality with fantasy. I feel like the film takes place in a living, breathing Gotham. Returns, on the other hand, feels more like a pre-fab theme park world, or theatre set. Anyone else feel this?
    Yes. I agree. Aesthetically, I too found Batman more impressive, notably so.

However, despite this, as a film I prefer Returns, because I find the characters more compelling and interesting. I liken it in a way to SF vs. SP (with the former similar to Returns & the latter closer to Batman). There's a poignancy and intimacy to Returns that I don't feel in Batman, which is more distant. A lot of that is on account of Pfieffer's standout performance and also De Vito's (I'm one who likes his Penguin).
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 871
    In the movie, Batman is very much a bigoted bully. He thinks that because Superman poses a 1% threat (like we all do, actually), he's 100% justified in completely murdering him. This is despite the fact that Superman goes out of his way to help people, has been doing that since the battle of Metropolis, and he even stays behind following the inquiry bombing to help the medics, which Batman sees. Does Bruce think Superman has just been faking being a good person for two years?
    Batman wants to kill him for very thin reasons, and Superman lets him almost do just that, and why?

I think Batman acknowledges Superman's good intentions. The reason for their 'disagreement' goes beyond that. It lies in their differences in understanding of moral principles.

Batman believes that good intentions are not enough to evaluate one's actions as right. It's the consequences of those actions that determine whether an action is right or wrong. He deduces that Superman's very existence and his actions brought death and destruction on Earth. Therefore, he (initially) sees Superman as dangerous, in spite of Superman's integrity.

This particular Batman has been through a lot. He has seen good people gone bad, hence his fear that the same thing can happen to someone so powerful.

Superman, on the other hand, believes that he has to do what's right no matter what. If I remember correctly, in Man of Steel he also had his doubts. His earthly father advised him not to reveal his powers to humans because he was afraid of the consequences. Later, Clark accepted his real father's advice that it's his duty to help people, so he became Superman.

Basically, Batman V Superman represents an ethical dilemma, Consequentialism (Batman) V Deontology (Superman).

In the end, I think Superman's point of view prevails, and Batman admits his mistake.

Personally, I find this much more interesting take on the characters than the usual fighting for truth, justice and the American way. It will come to that eventually, but this is a nice departure. Also, I'm not a die-hard fan, so I don't have a set in stone opinion about what Superman and Batman should be. I have a firm opinion about Bond, though, and that's why I find villain's connection to Bond's past unacceptable, totally un-Bondian and not Flemingesque. Therefore I understand why die-hard fans dislike BVS.

Having said all that, BVS has many flaws, and Nolan's trilogy remains the best take on the superhero genre ever.

P.S. I'm not much of an essayist, and English is not my native, so please excuse this poorly written attempt of analysis.
    I will watch BTAS and leave the rest :)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

It certainly made a difference going blind into a film like that, bar a trailer on tv and a magazine spread pre release you knew nothing about the film.

Are you kidding?

Batman 89 was one of the most hyped films in movie history!

Part of the problem was that unless you lived in a cave in 1989 It was nigh impossible to avoid knowing anything about the film!

Are you kidding?

Part of the problem was that unless you lived in a cave in 1989 It was nigh impossible to avoid knowing anything about the film!

Compared to today you could easily avoid information on a film released in 1989, and far less spoiler details.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Are you kidding?

Compared to today you could easily avoid information on a film released in 1989, and far less spoiler details.

Oh the internet changed everything no doubt about that.

I must admit Batman disappointed me when I saw it in a packed West End cinema the day after it was released. Trouble was I'd already made the film in my head and it wasn't what I was expecting.

Saw it a week later in my local ABC which was mostly empty(!) and enjoyed it a lot. Still a good Batman film with the coolest Batmobile and the greatest score.

Are you kidding?

Oh the internet changed everything no doubt about that.

I must admit Batman disappointed me when I saw it in a packed West End cinema the day after it was released. Trouble was I'd already made the film in my head and it wasn't what I was expecting.

Saw it a week later in my local ABC which was mostly empty(!) and enjoyed it a lot. Still a good Batman film with the coolest Batmobile and the greatest score.

The film stands up well it has a place in Bats history, personally I think its one of Tim Burtons best films.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 5,131
    Batman 89 is a good film. But it lacks action....Batman hardly has a fight or fights crime. That is Burtons weak point.....he can't do action. He same goes for Batman Returns.

Are you kidding?

I saw it then, and the only thing I knew before was Prince´s Batdance video clip and huge Batman logos pinned all over the city.