Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Since it can't be Kubrick all the time:

Colossus: The Forbin Project

colossus1.jpg

Though our technology has caught up with this film from 1970, there's still a lot to be found here. It's an interesting hard science fiction piece about a defence computer going sentient and deciding single handedly on the fate of Man. Now, before you say Terminator, please check the year: Terminator wasn't due for another decade plus a few years. ;-)

I've always liked Eric Breaden, particularly as the logical Dr. Hasslein in Escape From The Planet Of The Apes. I say 'logical' when most people would say 'evil' but his character can perfectly justify his actions in the film. And so might one start asking questions about whether or not Colossus, the 'evil' supercomputer, has a point... Read Orwell's 1984 for more on the subject. ;-) Anyway, it's a smart film, despite very outdated ideas about artificial intelligence. Quick aside: the novel on which this film is based was written more or less simultaneously with Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey. I believe that the man-versus-intelligent-computer nightmare being featured in both films / books is purely coincidental... or not, if one considers the grand fears of the time.

I recommend the film but only to fans of hard science fiction. Don't expect action or spectacle. It's a cold thriller. But I'm a fan!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @QsAssistant, I had to buy 'Dead Man Down' on blu-ray for $8. I thought the film was more than worth the price, and it's very interesting and well acted throughout.
    For $8 on Blu-ray I would've bought it too!

Rocky - Like to keep in good shape, always a inspirational movie for me.

Currently watching Robocop directors cut.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Identity Thief'

Typical average comedy, couple of laughs throughout. Great chemistry between Bateman and McCarthy, which was nice. It wasn't great, wasn't bad.
    <center>DD's Stanley Kubrick retrospective</center>

<center><font size = 4>part 10</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>BARRY LYNDON (1975)</font></center>

<center>barrylyndon390.jpeg?1330050338</center>

Kubrick had for a long time been willing to do a Napoleon project and he had already conducted extensive research and quite a lot of preparation work. But the studios felt like this thing would come too close to a competing project and so they said no. Kubrick's Napoleon has gone down in history as one of the most notorious 'never happened' films and there's even a very big book available in which you can read all about it. It contains the script and lots of still photographs and details.

But Kubrick, forced to move on, decided to recuperate some of the stuff he had already gathered, and went with Barry Lyndon, based on the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackeray. It tells the story of Redmond Barry, a fictional 18th-century Irish adventurer who lies and deceives his way to the top of the European nobles. But will his self-engineered rise to fame last?

Ryan O'Neal, an unknown actor to most, stars as the calm yet lustful Redmond Barry. On his way he encounters the beautiful model Marisa Berenson, a delicious Steven Berkoff, an almost unrecognisable Patrick Magee, and many more. Leon Vitali, who plays the vengeful Lord Bullington, would go on serving as Kubrick's assistant.

Ken Adam's art direction is at times breathtaking, despite this being entirely different from Adam's usual stuff as seen in the Bonds and in Dr. Strangelove, among others. One particularity about this film is Kubrick's refusal to work with additional lighting when shooting a room full of candlelight. The problem with that, however, is that traditional film sets were impossibly dark when using no extra light; candlelight by itself never sufficed. But Kubrick actually made it happen! Barry Lyndon oozes authenticity and makes one dream the sad dream of what could and should have been a great Napoleon film.

Either way, Barry Lyndon does the job very well. Though slow-paced, the film keeps me entertained. I am in constant wonder over Barry's tricks and viciously deceptive nature. I enjoy his multiple steps up the social ladder into a realm where he doesn't belong. The music, consisting mostly of classical works, adds the necessary flavours to the whole. It is a long film (180 minutes) but it is a very perfumed time capsule that doesn't let me down.

Final score: 8/10

DD's Stanley Kubrick retrospective score card:
    2001: A Space Odyssey: 11/10
    Dr. Strangelove: 9,5/10
    A Clockwork Orange: 9/10
    Lolita: 9/10
    Paths Of Glory: 9/10
    Spartacus: 8,5/10
    The Killing: 8,5/10
    Barry Lyndon: 8/10
    Killer's Kiss: 6,5/10
    Fear And Desire: 5/10

DD's Michael Mann retrospective score card:
    HEAT: 10/10
    The Insider: 9/10
    Thief: 9/10
    Collateral: 8,5/10
    Miami Vice: 8/10
    Manhunter: 8/10
    Public Enemies: 7,5/10
    Ali: 7/10
    The Last Of The Mohicans: 7/10
    The Keep: 5,5/10

DD's David Fincher retrospective score card:
    Seven: 9,5/10
    The Social Network: 9,5/10
    Zodiac: 8,5/10
    The Game: 8/10
    Panic Room: 8/10
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: 8/10
    Alien³: 7,5/10
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: 7,5/10
    Fight Club: 7/10
    DarthDimi wrote:

You do realise there's a glaring omission from that list?
    High Society - a remake that was diiferent from "the Philladelphia story" by the starring of one of Hollywoods true screen godesses Grace Kelly, the musical talents of Louis Armstrong & one of his best friends and best crooner ever Bing Crosby. Also starring is this skiiny kid that can carry a tune as well by the name of Frank Sinatra. A shallow story with great dialogue and very funny moments but it is carried by the sympathetic performences of all involved. It also answeres the lifelong question: "Who wants to be a millionaire?" or "Will did you ewah?" one of last centuries brilliant duets between the crooners that matter.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 6,432
    DarthDimi wrote:

More than one, at least three other movies i can think of. Though presume Darth Dimi is working through all Kubricks movies one by one. Barry Lyndon never got round to watching this movie. The Shining, Dr Strangelove and 2001: A space Odyssey are arguably the greatest movies in their respective genres. It would be difficult to say which of Kubricks films was indeed his masterpiece.
    DarthDimi wrote:

@WillyGalore, As you can no doubt grasp from my post(s), I am working chronologically. So yes, three more will come as my good buddy @fire_and_ice pointed out. ;-)

DarthDimi wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

@WillyGalore, As you can no doubt grasp from my post(s), I am working chronologically. So yes, three more will come as my good buddy @fire_and_ice pointed out. ;-)

It's still criminal that The Shining is not on there :-)

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I watched 'Street Kings'(2008) with Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitaker, Hugh Laurie and Chris Evans- with Naomie Harris, Jay Mohr, Common and Game in small roles.

I'd never heard of this film- maybe it didn't get much promotion. It actually turned out to be an alright little who-dunnit thriller IMO, with a couple of plot twists. Nothing new, but worth a look nonetheless. 7.5/10
    It's still criminal that The Shining is not on there :-)

That's because 1980 comes after 1975...

Current watching Lethal Weapon directors cut. So much is good about this film, Richard Donner infuses heart into this movie which elevates it far beyond many films in this genre.
    I watched 'Welcome to the Punch' last night. Fantastic cast (nice to see TWD's Governor in a film that's closer to home for him), great action, some nice twists throughout, but damn, was this movie blue. Cities, alleys, buildings, it just had that blue look, akin to 'Prince of Persia's orange look.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just watched the new wolverine movie. It was pretty good, I really enjoyed it.

That being said, there's a scene in the movie that apes DAF.
    Wolverine throws some a-hole out the window, over a balcony from a high-rise building and lands in a swimming pool and the girl Wolvie's with looks out and says, "how did you know there was a pool down there"? To which Wolvie replies, "I didn't".
    @doubleogo, that's good. I've debated seeing it or waiting for it to come out on Redbox. I saw some article the other day (didn't look into it, in fear of spoilers) that stated some of the scenes in it really made the audience confused or blown away in some aspect. I don't know, seemed vague. Does that make any sense to you? Any baffling action sequences?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote:
    Funny, I just watched X-Men First Class last night, and wow was it great. So well written & acted. I never liked a prequel this much before.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 6,432
    chrisisall wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Funny, I just watched X-Men First Class last night, and wow was it great. So well written & acted. I never liked a prequel this much before.

It is a fun movie, Fassbender is excellent. Of the back of his performance in this thought would be a pretty intense Bond given the opportunity. Matthew Vaughn directed who directed the excellent Kick-Ass.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @doubleogo, that's good. I've debated seeing it or waiting for it to come out on Redbox. I saw some article the other day (didn't look into it, in fear of spoilers) that stated some of the scenes in it really made the audience confused or blown away in some aspect. I don't know, seemed vague. Does that make any sense to you? Any baffling action sequences?

Um, it's all in all a great movie. In fact, watching it I found myself getting annoyed because most of the film takes place in Japan and I really wished that Skyfall had made extensive use of an exotic location i.e. China. The time there was all too brief. I just hope to God almighty that the next Bond film allows for extensive time spent in an exotic location that;s allowed to breathe and for audiences to admire, appreciate and grasp a real sense of [goldfinger voice]atmosphere [/goldfinger voice].

Anyway, the action was great! you could see everything that was going on, kudos to the editing department and ninjas. There were lots of ninjas. Felt like a real thriller with a satisfying comic book feel to it. Be sure to stay until the mid credits.
    Watching The Matrix on Blu-Ray, which I bought earlier today for £1.75. An absolute bargain
    Just finished 'Hellraiser 2.' Haven't seen this movie since I was much, much younger. It's always been a very weird, freaky film to me, and the group of Cenobites have always been some of the scariest movie villains, in my eyes. Nice to see some good practical effects in this, too.

Now on to 'Friday the 13th: Part 6.'
    Paul

paul-simon-pegg-photo.jpg

I had such a great time with this film! The comedy worked and the effects were amazing. :) Pegg, Frost, Rogen, ... they all bring the goods. Nice little film, this!
    Yep, Paul was an excellent film. Pegg and Frost can do no wrong.
    QBranch wrote:

That's how I feel. I'm really excited to see how they do with 'The World's End.' That movie has such an excellent cast.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    QBranch wrote:
    That's how I feel. I'm really excited to see how they do with 'The World's End.' That movie has such an excellent cast.
    Yeah, I think I'll be disappointed if I miss that one in cinemas.
    @QBranch, you and I both. I'm upset that I missed both 'Hot Fuzz,' 'Paul,' and 'Shaun of the Dead' in theaters.
    edited July 2013 Posts: 23,634
    Dr Mabuse (1922)

drmabsespelr1.jpg

I'm not even going to begin to try and persuade people to watch this film. It's a daunting task for most to sit through a four hour black and white, silent movie. But I'm one of those weirdos who actually dig this stuff. Dr Caligari, Nosferatu, Metropolis... I enjoy exploring the German expressionist films from so long ago. Some offer remarkably 'modern' concepts, style choices or even effects.

Dr Mabuse - The Gambler is a true classic and director Fritz Lang one of the greats of cinema. His stuff still beats three quarters of Hollywood's current output. But then again, you have to be into this stuff to fully appreciate it. Otherwise, it'll be a four hour torment to say the least. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Dr Mabuse (1922)

drmabsespelr1.jpg

I'm not even going to begin to try and persuade people to watch this film. It's a daunting task for most to sit through a four hour black and white, silent movie. But I'm one of those weirdos who actually dig this stuff. Dr Caligari, Nosferatu, Metropolis... I enjoy exploring the German expressionist films from so long ago. Some offer remarkably 'modern' concepts, style choices or even effects.

Dr Mabuse - The Gambler is a true classic and director Fritz Lang one of the greats of cinema. His stuff still beats three quarters of Hollywood's current output. But then again, you have to be into this stuff to fully appreciate it. Otherwise, it'll be a four hour torment to say the least. ;-)

WHat is next "the testament of Dr Mabuse"?- Some what shorter and one of the silents as well by Fritz Lange.
    Heck I even love his "Der Nibelungen" and that is a tough sitting as well, I still have to find a affordable copy though.

edited July 2013 Posts: 23,634
    @SaintMark, yes, Testament comes after this one. It's not a silent film though. And Lang actually made another one in 1960 called The Thousand Eyes of Dr. Mabuse.

I have a soft spot for Lang's films. 'M' may very well be my favourite. Peter Lorre is marvellous in that film!
    @DarthDimi, I had 'M' on my Netflix Queue for the longest time; always wanted to watch it, never did. I've been keen to try out 'Metropolis' as well and see if my tastes will enjoy silent films.