Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Just finished 'Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter'.

I used to watch these all the time when I was a kid, and I applaud this one for having some incredibly gory death sequences, but I loathe that it's pretty much everyone hanging out for quite some time and then a majority of people get killed in a matter of minutes. None of the deaths are spread out like the previous installment.

Then again, @Creasy47, you have to admit there is quite a bit of scantily clad feminine magnetism to pull us in, no? ;-) And Crispin's dance is pure gold. Also, Savini's effects are gruesomely effective and the character of Tommy, played by the one and only Corey Feldman, is a bit of a fan favourite by now, I would think.

One of my favourite F13 chapters.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, oh, absolutely! Lots of nudity in this one; I think this one has the most out of all of them, does it not? Yeah, that dance was rich. I remember people talking about it years back, before I knew who he was, and I was just waiting for it to pop up! It's hilarious.

I think that the death of:
    The guy working the morgue towards the beginning was my favorite of the film: throat slashed with the saw, then head totally twisted around.

I'd have to say I like Part 3 more than this one, but they're both still entertaining. Was trying to do a marathon of them, but Netflix lacks the first and second films.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Creasy47 wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:
    MV5BOTE2OTk4MTQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODUxOTM3OQ@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_.jpg
    Like the poster reads - enough said.

I can't read what the poster says. What's the film?
    Oops, my bad. The link has been fixed on my original post. But @Samuel001 was indeed correct!
    SJK91 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:
    MV5BOTE2OTk4MTQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODUxOTM3OQ@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_.jpg
    Like the poster reads - enough said.

I can't read what the poster says. What's the film?
    Oops, my bad. The link has been fixed on my original post. But @Samuel001 was indeed correct!

This film makes Deep Blue Sea look intelligent :))
    The Bourne Legacy (2012)
    Pretty boring film besides the moto bike chase. 5/10
    001 wrote:
    The Bourne Legacy (2012)
    Pretty boring film besides the moto bike chase. 5/10

And even that was mediocre, with the bad CGI and lackluster ending.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Trance.

Entertaining enough and Rosario Dawson nude (full frontal) is more than enough to see this.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    On what would have been her 102nd birthday (yesterday), I decided to watch...

220px-Swing-Time-1935.jpg

Rogers movie ranking: 1/20
    '21 & Over'

What a hilarious film. Really didn't expect much from it, but the chemistry within the three friends is excellent, and it delivered a lot of laughs. I recommend this if these 'college getaway' types of films interest you.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Pacific Rim.... wow, so much better than I expected. We all loved it. Nice FX, yeah, whatever, but the dialogue & direction were top notch!!! Can't wait to own it.
    "The Big Sleep" directed by Michael Winner starring Robert Mitchum as Philippe Marlowe, the story is set in London this time and makes an entertaining movie. But the movie lacks the magic touch of a Lauren Bacall, the female leads in this movie fail to woo me at any moment.
    <center>DD's Stanley Kubrick retrospective</center>

<center><font size = 4>part 8</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)</font></center>

<center>dyn002_original_450_295_pjpeg_2632966_32456cfd116d7ce446e631105b561225.jpg</center>

When Stanley Kubrick set out to make the proverbial good science fiction film, he contacted the great science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke to think up a concept together. While Kubrick would be working on the script, Clarke would simultaneously work on the book. Meanwhile, they would interact intensely and exchange ideas, remarks and so on. It was a pretty novel approach to write script and book at the same time but it turned out very well. Both the film and the book are considered true masterpieces in their own right. Quick note aside, some details in the book are different from the film, most notably the choice of giant planet: Jupiter in the film versus Saturn in the book. The funny thing is that for the sequel books, Clarke retcon'd the books to a Jupiter setting as well.

Most of Kubrick's films had so far been shot in black and white and in 1.37. This time, Kubrick went for 2.20 and Technicolor no less. Quite the change. But of course this would be one of his most visual films ever, reaching to the moon, Jupiter and in fact beyond the infinite. Colour and wide spectacle would suddenly be of the utmost importance, for let's face it...

... 2001 is a very unconventional film. Not only does it hardly feature any dialogue at all, its central characters aren't even human. People are involved as objects, not subjects. The story focuses on our evolution over a span of millions of years; it isn't the least bit concerned with what happens in one person's life. But then one of the things 2001 shows us is that we are not at the centre of the universe. We are not the ultimate result of some human-centred Creation. We are at best animate specks of dust about to flow out into space. And a vastly more intelligent alien race seems to think us fit to evolve once more. Of course we never see those others; we merely encounter their mysterious beacons famously known as 'the monoliths'.

Perhaps because 2001 is so untraditional about pretty much everything, even today, it has the tendency to polarize film connoisseurs. Some find the film a torment to sit through, others - like myself - have almost otherworldly experiences when watching this science fiction epic. The story is full of symbolism and powerful ideas about life in the universe. With Clarke being one of those celebrated experts of 'hard' science fiction, a list which also includes Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan and Robert Heinlein, 2001 isn't *just* ordinary science fiction: it conceives amazing concepts that allow for years of thought. I have known this film for about a decade and a half and have watched it countless times, I have read the book several times, yet I keep discovering new things in this story. Being both a scientist and a science fiction fanatic, I extract from 2001 a lot of brain fuel. Existentialism, technological advance, artificial intelligence, cosmological dreams... the very boundaries of Einstein's theories are challenged in this film.

But of course it's more than the story. How about the visuals? The effects for this film, designed nearly a decade prior to Star Wars, nearly two decades prior to serious CGI, still hold up exquisitely well today. 2001 continues to be praised for its ground breaking achievements. It doesn't need any of Cameron's computers or 3D technology to make us truly believe we're in space, on the moon, near Jupiter or in the vast endlessness of the universe. Not a wire in sight, yet so many optical treasures. Kubrick was able to invent shots that remain unique even today. If nothing else, we can in the very least mention the hostess rotating her walking direction ninety degrees *just like that*. Kubrick's photographic genius is all over the place. The star gate sequence, lasting several minutes, may be the coolest thing ever seen in a space movie. Even Star Trek The Motion Picture felt the need to emulate some of these effects, most notably during the Enterprise's journey through V'ger's clouds. Whether one is sober or not (more about that in a minute), this is a visually stunning experience. We're at this point no longer just watching a movie, we're amidst a brand new experience, like a fourth dimensional painting, a painting that moves.

And lest we forget, there's the music. Alex North's score, which is available on CD - and absolutely beautiful - was last minute rejected by Kubrick who had fallen so in love with the works of the Strausses, of Ligeti and of Khachaturian which he had played on set, that he decided to use them instead of the score that had been ordered from North. But what a brave move! Forget the classical interpretation of Thus Spoke Zarathustra or The Blue Danuble: upon hearing them you will envision monolith slabs and a waltz of space ships. And Ligeti's Atmosphères creates such a trippy effect...

... which may have contributed largely to the film's success. When 2001 was released, it met with most confusing degrees of enthusiasm. Various elements in the film were praised, others were questioned. Some critics were extremely harsh. Many of them had to publicly rethink their opinion after many years. No-one was quite able to put their finger on the film. Hardly anyone managed to figure out what it was all about... Yet right before MGM decided to pull the film from theatres after a rather disappointing first run, some college kids allegedly motivated an unexpected demographic to raise interest in the film. Substance abuse reportedly led to some major trips during the film, probably most of all during the star gate sequence. But don't get me wrong, you don't have to swallow drugs before you can enjoy it. I always go in clean and sober, and yet I transcend my daily life too when watching A Space Odyssey. Since the 60s and early 70s, 2001: A Space Odyssey has been building an ever increasing fan base. Its popularity is still so high that the film is placed on the very top of many a film fan's lists of favourite science fiction movies and in fact favourite movies ever. Others may find the resources and the technical means today to produce photo-realistic animation but 2001 did it for real, did it optical, did it without a pallet of digital tricks. And it bloody shows!

I must conclude by saying that 2001: A Space Odyssey is not only my favourite Kubrick film or my favourite science fiction film. This is my favourite film of all time. However, whether I recommend you watch it or not, entirely depends on your taste. If you can dig this kind of stuff, then go ahead and watch it again. But it could also turn out a hopeless effort and you might decide after about 40 minutes that you've had enough of it, only to never return to the film again. Also, it might be you have to give the film more than one honest chance; many Space Odyssey fanatics admit that their first encounter with the film had left them confused at best. It's seldom a case of love at first sight. When you don't know what to expect, you will be unable to expect anything that's even remotely on the same frequency as this visionary masterpiece. But that's strike one for Kubrick. The man never intended to make it easy for us. 2001 works on a cerebral level. Some effort from our side will be required. This isn't popcorn stuff. So do I recommend it? I would say yes, I do, but with some reservation. Besides, I am so fond of this film that my silent inner screams of joy can still break the china. But that doesn't necessarily mean you will like this film...

And so, if I must give the film a score, I will rather make a statement:

Final score: 11/10

DD's Stanley Kubrick retrospective score card:
    2001: A Space Odyssey: 11/10
    Dr. Strangelove: 9,5/10
    Lolita: 9/10
    Paths Of Glory: 9/10
    Spartacus: 8,5/10
    The Killing: 8,5/10
    Killer's Kiss: 6,5/10
    Fear And Desire: 5/10

DD's Michael Mann retrospective score card:
    HEAT: 10/10
    The Insider: 9/10
    Thief: 9/10
    Collateral: 8,5/10
    Miami Vice: 8/10
    Manhunter: 8/10
    Public Enemies: 7,5/10
    Ali: 7/10
    The Last Of The Mohicans: 7/10
    The Keep: 5,5/10

DD's David Fincher retrospective score card:
    Seven: 9,5/10
    The Social Network: 9,5/10
    Zodiac: 8,5/10
    The Game: 8/10
    Panic Room: 8/10
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: 8/10
    Alien³: 7,5/10
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: 7,5/10
    Fight Club: 7/10
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects. (1989) Charles Bronson.
    Kinjite_forbidden_subjects.jpg
    Pretty decent crime drama. Bronson is as epic as usual. Though it was very uncomfortable seeing him act racist. 6/10 Standard Bronson material.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I must conclude by saying that 2001: A Space Odyssey is not only my favourite Kubrick film or my favourite science fiction film. This is my favourite film of all time.
    When the bone in the air cuts to the space ship, it's really one of the orbital nuclear platforms- a point only made clear if you read the novel, but it's genius! Weapon for weapon!
    I just wish they hadn't tossed the ending where the Starchild detonated them, causing a 'new day' to begin... but Kubrick said it'd be too much like the ending of Strangelove. 8-|
    'Commando'

I think this is the first time I've seen it, and what a badass film. It doesn't really pick up until the last thirty minutes or so, but any film with Schwarzenegger in his prime downing hundreds of people in a matter of minutes with grenades, firearms, rocket launchers, and axes is a great film to me. I enjoyed it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Commando'
    but any film with Schwarzenegger in his prime downing hundreds of people in a matter of minutes with grenades, firearms, rocket launchers, and axes is a great film to me. I enjoyed it.
    Ever see Raw Deal?
    :D
    @chrisisall, I have not, actually. Is it any good?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If you like "Schwarzenegger in his prime downing hundreds of people in a matter of minutes with grenades, firearms, rocket launchers, and axes", yes!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    If you like "Schwarzenegger in his prime downing hundreds of people in a matter of minutes with grenades, firearms, rocket launchers, and axes", yes!

Hmm, okay! Sounds like the movie for me. I'll have to get around to viewing it. Been trying to knock down my Netflix Instant Queue lately. Alongside that, I got a one month free trial from Netflix DVD service, so I'm working on my Instant Queue and new movies as they come out and ship. Next up: 'Stoker.'
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DarthDimi, I just wanted to take a small moment to thank you for these retrospectives, specifically the one focused on Kubrick that you are currently enjoying. I have recently gotten into his work quite seriously, watching not only The Shining and Full Metal Jacket to warm myself up to the films (I saw Clockwork Orange months ago and need to rewatch that too), but also viewed tons of interviews and footage about Kubrick and his methods as well as those he worked with, and have really appreciated these little reviews of yours that guide me to watch I should watch next. They also give great advice about how to approach each of Stanley's films based on what they contain. While I don't read the meat of your reviews to save myself from any unwanted teasers, the passion and love that is visible when you speak of Stanley and his films is more than apparent and truly wonderful to see. While most of the films I have seen of his don't quite blow me away, I realize that part of experiencing Kubrick's films is in watching and rewatching them to really get the full package they deliver. I have always said that even if you don't like his work, Kubrick was undeniably a fascinating director and man, both behind the camera and off the set. My hats off to you sir, for your contributions to keeping his work alive. ^:)^
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SaintMark wrote:
    "The Big Sleep" directed by Michael Winner starring Robert Mitchum as Philippe Marlowe, the story is set in London this time and makes an entertaining movie. But the movie lacks the magic touch of a Lauren Bacall, the female leads in this movie fail to woo me at any moment.

I like The Big Sleep. I would even go as far as to call it my favourite Robert Mitchum film.
    Thank you, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! I know I tend to type a whole lot but then the likes of Fincher, Mann and Kubrick are important to me - very important in fact. ;-)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Perhaps because 2001 is so untraditional about pretty much everything, even today, it has the tendency to polarize film connoisseurs. Some find the film a torment to sit through, others - like myself - have almost otherworldly experiences when watching this science fiction epic.

I think that this could be the most polarizing film of all time. It's hard to think of another film that inspires so much admiration and so much disdain from such a large number of people. It's still hotly debated to this day and emotions run deep on both sides!

Having said that though, I find myself to be somewhere in the middle. This is a film that I appreciate much more than I like. I do think that it's brilliant but I can certainly see the point of those who think that it's tedious. I hope that doesn't offend you because I really enjoyed reading your wonderful review.

pachazo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Perhaps because 2001 is so untraditional about pretty much everything, even today, it has the tendency to polarize film connoisseurs. Some find the film a torment to sit through, others - like myself - have almost otherworldly experiences when watching this science fiction epic.

I think that this could be the most polarizing film of all time. It's hard to think of another film that inspires so much admiration and so much disdain from such a large number of people. It's still hotly debated to this day and emotions run deep on both sides!

Having said that though, I find myself to be somewhere in the middle. This is a film that I appreciate much more than I like. I do think that it's brilliant but I can certainly see the point of those who think that it's tedious. I hope that doesn't offend you because I really enjoyed reading your wonderful review.

How could I possibly be offended? Film taste is what it is, and it's quite personal. ;-) Besides, how could I be offended at all when an opinion is so well argumented? ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2013 Posts: 28,694
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Thank you, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! I know I tend to type a whole lot but then the likes of Fincher, Mann and Kubrick are important to me - very important in fact. ;-)

And that certainly shows. Keep up these great retrospectives, my friend. :)
    Resident Evil Retribution: Turning it into a game scenario seemed very lame to me. And seeing how the movie started? Did I miss one? I have seen 4 of them right?

Contraband: Sadly I found this a little bit of a bore.

Total Recall: Although I liked the new twist on the original and the film? I still prefer the original.

TED: How funny did I find this movie. Brilliant! Had me in stitches and makes me wish I had a Teddy like this one! =))
    'Stoker'

Incredibly unique, wonderfully acted, and absolutely bizarre. It builds up throughout with a fair amount of twists, turns, and wild events, it's a lovely little drama about a big situation.
  • Only minutes ago finished Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. I was underwhelmed. The first half was awful, the second half wasn't half bad.
    perfect timing. Just watched For a Few Dollars More (1965), the second of the dollars trilogy. It's actually better than The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Fistful of Dollars, even if you do see a lot of the same faces from the two other releases. Highly recommended. 9 / 10
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    "Hummingbird" (UK Title) with Jason Stathan. Fantastic movie!!! I'll start to watch "Killing Season" now, with John Travolta and Robert DeNiro.