Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Mission: Impossible III (2006). Significant improvement over II, but still not quite as good as the first. Philip Seymour Hoffman was definitely the biggest highlight. Decent film. So far, 1 > 3 > 2. I look forward to the next 3; it’s been a fun binge watch so far.

I know, and admit, I am in a minority: I feel M:I3 was the best made film of the bunch. Best story, best use of the characters and action. I remember this one the best.

I forget the others and/or meld 4, 5 and 6 together. To me these last three are like Loony Tune Cartoons-- and nothing more.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Remington wrote: »
    My current ranking of M:I films is:
    -Ghost Protocol
    -Rogue Nation
    -Mission: Impossible
    -Fallout
    -II
    -III

Interesting 3 being your worst, though it is admittedly generic. I was a fan of Woo back in the day, 2 is terrible though highly amusing.
    2 is exactly that. Terrible but highly amusing. 3 is just downright terrible. It's got all the packages I hate about films.
    I like the villain in 3 which nudges it ahead of 2, though the slow mo scarf catching shots etc are hilarious in 2.

Also 2 being a obvious remake of Notorious I found jarring though mildly amusing.
    I don't disagree with any of those.

And yes, 2 was a very obvious remake of Notorious. The Woo-ism is the only instrument that pushes the film down for me. Otherwise, the plot is very solid.

3 on the other hand had a villain with presence, but nothing beyond that. Its awful sappy melodrama overrides the great villain element in my book.
    Melodrama the reason I don't like the last two Craig films.
    That makes two of us.
    I think it was fine in SF but it really hurt SP.
    Other way around for me. I can't stand SF in any way.

SF is a cluster... I would rather watch Die another Day

I concur!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2018 Posts: 8,044
    Mission: Impossible III (2006). Significant improvement over II, but still not quite as good as the first. Philip Seymour Hoffman was definitely the biggest highlight. Decent film. So far, 1 > 3 > 2. I look forward to the next 3; it’s been a fun binge watch so far.

Glad you enjoyed it. A lot of people here don't like it but I enjoy the third film quite a bit.

I’m a big fan of MI:3 and can’t understand why it’s so maligned. This is the one that made Ethan Hunt a three dimensional , unique character. His relationship with his wife was sincere and created tangible high stakes at the end.
    And in a move that shows how aware the MI producers are, they wisely detached from the domestic aspect of his life while acknowledging its effects on him.
    MI:3 sits in the 2 spot of my rankings,only behind the near perfect Rogue Nation.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I completely agree with @talos7. I don't understand it either. I guess part of it is the "it's cool to hate on JJ" hype that has infested the Internet, combined with film journalism's anti-Cruise bias from back in the day.

MI:3 has great moments in it, from the Vatican heist all the way to the climax in Asia. Far-fetched? Well, it's Mission:Impossible, what can I say.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MI:3 has by far the best villain in the franchise, IMO. Seymour-Hoffman was amazing in this (like in all his films, I really miss him since his untimely death in 2014).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2018 Posts: 40,635
    I don't mind JJ, I just don't care for M:I3 at all. I've tried so hard to love it like everyone else does over the years but it always ends up in last place for me. PSH is fantastic though, but then again, when wasn't he?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The Vatican sequence is one the best in the series. Other than that, its just not memorable. They could have expanded on the Shanghai tower break-in. I mean why have Luther mention that it makes Langley look like a cakewalk, if you're not going to see anything. It would have been better to show him in that race against time in the building itself, rather than the chase that follows.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2018 Posts: 8,055
    The Vatican sequence is one the best in the series. Other than that, its just not memorable. They could have expanded on the Shanghai tower break-in. I mean why have Luther mention that it makes Langley look like a cakewalk, if you're not going to see anything. It would have been better to show him in that race against time in the building itself, rather than the chase that follows.

I love the opening shootout in the factory, the helicopter chase, and the fight with Hoffman at the end. The Bridge firefight is a great concept but there's a bit too much shakey cam going on for it to to reach its full potential.

It is probably the weakest in the series in terms of memorable set-pieces, but there's still plenty of good ones there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Last_Rat_Standing, my guess is that it's a MacGuffin from the get go, so to flesh out another action sequence centered around it would be a "waste of time." But yes, that's another issue I have with it, setting up the break-in and planning it and everything, and we don't even get to enjoy it.

It did have a lot of similarities to the M:I2 break in - it's at night, he enters from the roof, he's dealing with a biological weapon and he has to escape from a high-up window, so I guess it would've felt even more like a retread if it was focused on more heavily.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter (1974)

Before Blade there was this dashing fellow. An unusual Hammer film mixing age stealing vampires with swordplay.

Cheesy and corny, yes, but great entertainment, written and directed by Brian Clemens creator of TV's The Professionals.

Swashbuckling stuff with a really cool score from Laurie Anderson. Apparently Tarantino is a fan.

Definitely don't make em' like this anymore.

I love this film , not only for the elements you mentioned, but for one other, Caroline Munro!
    She is spectacular in this .

Indeed. And let's not forget Benedict Cumberbatch's mom, Wanda Ventham. Here's the theme :

• edited November 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I just got around to finally watching Marshland (2014) original title: La isla mínima. It's a Spanish movie that drew a lot of comparisons with Fukunaga's True Detective when it was first released, though unfairly as Marshland was in production before True Detective was released. Take a look at some of the negative comments on IMDb and there's the usual plethora of uninformed ignoramuses that proclaim it stole the cinematography from True Detective. Not true of course. Anyway, this is a great, slow-burn thriller from Spanish director Alberto Rodríguez. God, how I love Spanish movies!! The plot is a simple one: a serial killer is on the loose and two homicide detectives, who appear to be poles apart, must settle their differences and bring the murderer to justice before more young women lose their lives. Beautifully photographed with solid acting and a great script, it raises this far above the standard fare of crime thriller to borderline masterpiece. If you haven't watched it, and are tired of the dumb Hollywood approach of big car chases and vacuous plotting, then why not give this a go? If you're a fan of the first True Detective, then watch this also. This get's the Bondsum seal of approval. This might be too highbrow for a lot of you, but it's one of the best movies made this decade. (NOTE: It's also on Youtube in it's entirety with English subtitles for free!!)

71%2BFiM7TxbL._SY445_.jpg
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011). I enjoyed this one a LOT. Probably my favorite MI so far, just edging out the first. The characters, acting, humor, drama, stakes, action, music, direction - all on point. This was a lot of fun. Really looking forward to the next two!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011). I enjoyed this one a LOT. Probably my favorite MI so far, just edging out the first. The characters, acting, humor, drama, stakes, action, music, direction - all on point. This was a lot of fun. Really looking forward to the next two!
    Welcome to the fanclub. I had a feeling you'd like it, being a fellow fan of TSWLM. It's the closest an MI film has gotten to a Gilbert style entry (in terms of scope and scale) imho. I think the next one is a bit more grounded and Glen'esque, and I'm curious to read your impressions of it after you see it.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Am I the only one who was bored by Ghost Protocol? I thought the first film was pretty decent. 2 and 3 I'd like to forget and I haven't seen 5 and 6 yet.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I really did not like Ghost Protocol when I first watched it, though several years later its in my top three, the Dubai sequence is fantastic I have yet to watch the film in 4K though I am hoping we get the IMAX sequences inserted.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Ghost Protocol remains my favourite throughout the years. I love the subsequent two films but they’re no match for GP’s feel and scope.

The opera sequence in Rogue Nation, however, was absolutely brilliant, only second to the Prague sequence from the first film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I like Ghost Protocol, but place the 1st, 3rd, and Fallout higher.
    Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015). This was a lot of fun too! Sort of felt like a much better SP to me... and definitely got big-time QOS vibes with the opera sequence. Very good entry. I'll have to rank all these once I finish Fallout next. I've had a blast watching these films.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    With the passing of the great Bernardo Bertolucci, I put on IL CONFORMISTA.

Jean-Louis Trintignant shines as the film’s opportunistic, spineless protagonist, Marcello, who follows which ever form of life is the dominant and accepted one at a certain point in history just so he himself can live a, what he calls, ‘normal’ life.

The majority of the film takes place during the ruling of dictator Mussolini. Unsurprisingly Marcello, the conformist from the film’s title, becomes a fascist neglecting all norms and values for the sake of his own well-being.

Not only a captivating and a relavent story in today’s world as well but a visual feast for the eyes, Bertolucci’s Il conformista is in my view correctly hailed as one of the best films of all time. A must see for every cinephile.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Remington wrote: »
    Am I the only one who was bored by Ghost Protocol? I thought the first film was pretty decent. 2 and 3 I'd like to forget and I haven't seen 5 and 6 yet.

No, I was as well. The latest was the only one that did anything for me.
    Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018). What an awesome action film. I have a hard time imagining this one being topped. Delivered on all fronts - absolutely blew me away. Really wish I had gone to see it in the theater. What a fun marathon that was! I will have to get the collection when it comes to stores.

Ranking:

1. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
    2. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
    3. Mission: Impossible
    4. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
    5. Mission: Impossible III
    6. Mission: Impossible II
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018). What an awesome action film. I have a hard time imagining this one being topped. Delivered on all fronts - absolutely blew me away. Really wish I had gone to see it in the theater. What a fun marathon that was! I will have to get the collection when it comes to stores.

Ranking:

Fallout is awesome it is close to taking over top spot in my ranking, I envy you watching all these films for the first time in a mini marathon M: I is a great series.

Ranking:

I remember not liking RN as much as GP upon initial first viewing. Now it's grown on me to the point where I'd probably rank it 1 or 2 behind Fallout or GP.

My sister watched the first five for the first time a few backs and she too liked GP the best. I'm curious to see what she thinks of Fallout when she gets round to it.

I think RN may be a grower, whereas GP grabs one immediately.
    I did like RN a lot, but for now just barely outside of my Top 3. All of my Top 4 I’d consider top-tier action films, and extremely entertaining. 3 was decent. 2 I didn’t care for that much. The newer ones definitely have been better collectively, but I do still really like the original.
    I did like RN a lot, but for now just barely outside of my Top 3. All of my Top 4 I’d consider top-tier action films, and extremely entertaining. 3 was decent. 2 I didn’t care for that much. The newer ones definitely have been better collectively, but I do still really like the original.
    The original was way ahead of its time imho.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,696
    @bondjames I hope whatever Cruise has in store for M:I:7, he'll put an even greater focus on the large-scale chase scenes (without forgetting more 'intimate' but highly thrilling set-pieces like the Opera in Rogue Nation or the bathroom fist-fight in Fallout). The entire chase scene in Paris, from the truck, to the motorcycle, finishing with the BMW car was fantastic. Hadn't seen such epic extended vehicular chase like this since Ronin. Something of this magnitude in Asia (Tokyo? Hong Kong? Singapore?) or South America (like Brazil in Fast Five) would be tremendous to see.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I like the idea of Asia or South America for a chase sequence @DaltonCraig007. It would make a welcome change. Honestly, I'd really like to see an MI film set in Argentina. Buenos Aires is quite beautiful.

RE: the chase sequence in Fallout - I agree that it was really well done. The best bits for me though were the interruptions, like when Faust appears in front of them and also when everything stops suddenly as a result of the unexpected female cop intervention. It helped to change up the pace and humanize the sequence, which made it all the more thrilling for me.
    Superman The Movie 4K, this film is amazing there is so much good and heart in this phenomenal film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Superman The Movie 4K, this film is amazing there is so much good and heart in this phenomenal film.
    Did it look a lot different than the Blu Ray-?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,702
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Did it look a lot different than the Blu Ray-?

I have started to favour the 4K version, there is grain which you accept, though the metropolis scenes are incredible. My brother who loves the film was shocked when he watched this when he visited, if you get a 4K TV get this film first.