Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,395
    @Strog I agree about Sheryl Lee her talent warented more though I guess Laura Palmer is the Ultimate Typecast, FWWM is a fantastic film rewatched it three times in the last few months Lynch truly is a master very intense film.

Blue Harvest Family Guy doing the Ultimate Star Wars tribute, I genuinely love the three films they did superb animation and most of the jokes hit the mark.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The similarities are uncanny @Creasy47. The building is Blenheim Place in Oxfordshire (at least MI-RN got the country right).

Both films also use Austria as a location (Vienna State Opera in MI-RN and White's hideout/Swann's clinic in SP).

Apparently they had the SAston Martin DB 5 parked in the carpark outside Blenheim in MI-RN. Did not notice it then, but read about it on the internet. Not sure, whether it is true.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The similarities are uncanny @Creasy47. The building is Blenheim Place in Oxfordshire (at least MI-RN got the country right).

Both films also use Austria as a location (Vienna State Opera in MI-RN and White's hideout/Swann's clinic in SP).

Apparently they had the SAston Martin DB 5 parked in the carpark outside Blenheim in MI-RN. Did not notice it then, but read about it on the internet. Not sure, whether it is true.
    It was a DB6, actually.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , definitely check it out in this format. It's well worth it. Having said that, I think you have to ensure that it's '70mm' IMAX. Not all IMAX theatres show it in 70mm. That's when you get the real effect because the screen is larger and runs the original film.

Watched it last night at my local cinema. Unfortunately we don't have either IMAX nor 70mm-screens. And what was worse: They showed it in a smaller cinema with a smaller screen '(not even Cinemascope), plus the sound system was nothing like Dolby Digital surround, but two speakers below the screen. So a lot of the visual and accoustic impact it is suppodes to have, were completely lost to us. Pity.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @DoctorKaufmann I'm sorry you weren't able to experience it in 70mm IMAX. Hopefully you enjoyed the film though, despite the shortcomings of your theatre.

Yes, the Aston was a DB6. Here it is from MI5-RN (it's pretty much dead centre in the photo):
    xjZgd4D.png
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Im going to watch blade runner for the first time, in anticipation for what looks like a good scifi film( 2049). But i dont know which bloody version to see
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I recommend the Final cut.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think The Final Cut is the best version of Blade Runner
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I recommend the first Director's Cut.

Curious why this one over the Final Cut. They're more or less the same version, but the Final Cut corrects a number of minor errors (visible cables, lips not synched, etc.) and is overall a more polished film. There are, however, a few small areas where I do prefer the Director's Cut. Just curious why that one's your preference.
    The final cut just excludes the narration and unicorn scene. If I recall correctly.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't care about polished, but isn't that the one with implications that Decker is a replicant or am I wrong?

Both the Director's Cut and the Final Cut imply Deckard is a replicant. The latter of the two is indeed digitally touched up though. I'm against screwing around with old films George Lucas style and normally would be against the idea of "touching up" a classic, but Blade Runner was a case where the film was being altered anyway to suit Ridley's original vision, so since they were already making changes, I'm perfectly okay with them erasing goofs like visible cables or synching up lip movement that was glaringly off. It's all seamlessly done anyway.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    So it's digitally touched up? Then I definitely don't want to see it. I have no interest in old films altered (restored is fine). That original Director's Cut, the first of those to be marketed as such, was the film as he had originally cut that he intended before the studio screwed it all up.

The Director's Cut from the 90s was essentially Ridley's original vision. But he was short on funds and limited on time, so the project was rushed to release. You might consider it the demo or workprint of Ridley's director's cut. But if you can't stand for digital touch ups and want Ridley's vision, that's certainly the one.
    Murdock wrote: »
    The final cut just excludes the narration and unicorn scene. If I recall correctly.

The Director's Cut and Final Cut both exclude narration, and both include any and all unicorn scenes.
    I'll have to watch it again. I don't remember seeing the unicorn scene.
    The Tuxedo (2002)
    Not bad. Good action.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    001 wrote: »
    The Tuxedo (2002)
    Not bad. Good action.
    To me, Jason Isaacs was that movie.

Heck, my username shares the same moniker as his spy. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Tuxedo (2002)
    Not bad. Good action.

Starring my wife (Jennifer Love Hewitt), no less.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Tuxedo (2002)
    Not bad. Good action.

Lucky dawg. ;)

@MajorDSmythe, that lounger scene by the pool... Wowza!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Tuxedo (2002)
    Not bad. Good action.

Lucky dawg. ;)

@MajorDSmythe, that lounger scene by the pool... Wowza!

That is how she serves me my breakfast, every day.
    @Birdleson To be honest, of Chaplin's features I've only seen CITY LIGHTS and THE GOLD RUSH. I definitely found VERDOUX the lesser work. In no way deserved the thrashing it got on release, however. As you say, might be worth revisiting somewhere down the road, but by no means would I return to it again and again.
    Arrival dull and disappointing I am a big Sci fi fan and I found this film underwhelming, there was no energy in this film at all was glad when it was over.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,490
    From what I've seen of Chaplin's work in the last five or ten years, I think 'Limelight' is currently my favorite.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I felt almost the same way, unfortunately. It wasn't a bad film, it just didn't cut it for me and I found it a bit dull overall. I may revisit it in the future to see if my opinion changes, because aside from that, Villeneuve has knocked all his other films out of the park.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Chaplin's work in the last five or ten years, I think 'Limelight' is currently my favorite.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I felt almost the same way, unfortunately. It wasn't a bad film, it just didn't cut it for me and I found it a bit dull overall. I may revisit it in the future to see if my opinion changes, because aside from that, Villeneuve has knocked all his other films out of the park.

It just felt flat and it was very predictable though it was not engaging enough for me to care, visually it was ok though did not save it for me the CG was too obvious in parts. I have not watched Scicario or The Revenent yet I have owned both for months.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I realize Chaplin was very talented, but his films do nothing for me. I find the humour daft.
    When it comes to early comedy The Marx Brothers for me were brilliant, I own all there early films they were way ahead of there time.

It just felt flat and it was very predictable though it was not engaging enough for me to care, visually it was ok though did not save it for me the CG was too obvious in parts. I have not watched Scicario or The Revenent yet I have owned both for months.

Get around to both of those as soon as you can. Different yet equally skilled director/cinematographer pairings there. Beautiful films.

Get around to both of those as soon as you can. Different yet equally skilled director/cinematographer pairings there. Beautiful films.

Almost put both on several times though I have so much on my watch list or been distracted, plus I know I'll need to really sit down and watch them especially The Revenent.

Almost put both on several times though I have so much on my watch list or been distracted, plus I know I'll need to really sit down and watch them especially The Revenent.

Absolutely, but that's understandable. I've always said for every movie I manage to eliminate from my 'Watch List,' I add ten more. I'll never be fully caught up.

Absolutely, but that's understandable. I've always said for every movie I manage to eliminate from my 'Watch List,' I add ten more. I'll never be fully caught up.

It's shocking I have several streaming services and have bought films I have never seen and forget I have, bought Resident Evil Final Chapter and Underworld 5 weeks ago still not watched them.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I wasn't impressed with Arrival either, and I know what they were going for. Disappointing film for me.

I highly recommend Sicario and The Revenent. Exceptional films in more ways than one.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

I wasn't impressed with Arrival either, and I know what they were going for. Disappointing film for me.

I highly recommend Sicario and The Revenent. Exceptional films in more ways than one.

I would agree with that.

Absolutely the same for me too. Actually my list has grown exceptionally. Im not quite sure what to watch next

Sicario
    The lobster
    Aliens
    Predator
    My cousin vinny
    Misery
    Blade runner
    The machinist
    Black swan
    Glory
    The searchers
    Seven
    Vertigo
    The nice guys
    The quick and the dead
    Black hawk down
    The shawshank redemption
    The treasure of sierra madre
    Citizen Kane
    Butch cassidy
    Sunshine
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Doctor zviago
    Gone with the wind
    Chinatown
    Apocalypse now
    Mad max
    Mad max 2
    Mad max 3
    Psycho
    The graduate
    One flew over the cooko nest
    Brazil
    Reservoir dogs
    Pulp fiction
    Taxi driver
    Raging bull
    Lincoln
    Fight club
    Gone girl
    American beauty
    A fistful of dollars
    Braveheart
    Saving private Ryan
    J Edgar
    Rambo
    The hangover
    Unforgiven
    Iron Lady
    Full metal jacket
    Birdman
    Argo

About maybe half of them, I have actully watched but are due for a reassessment
    @JamesBondKenya, I wouldn't even know where to begin with that list, there's a lot of excellent choices. I'd suggest cutting it down to the ones you haven't seen whatsoever and start there - you never know what gems you'll stumble upon that'll have you kicking yourself for not experiencing them earlier.