Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,395
    Got the weekend off will try and watch The Revenent tomorrow, football is on tonight sport just gets in the way of my watchlist :)
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Chaplin's work in the last five or ten years, I think 'Limelight' is currently my favorite.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I felt almost the same way, unfortunately. It wasn't a bad film, it just didn't cut it for me and I found it a bit dull overall. I may revisit it in the future to see if my opinion changes, because aside from that, Villeneuve has knocked all his other films out of the park.

It just felt flat and it was very predictable though it was not engaging enough for me to care, visually it was ok though did not save it for me the CG was too obvious in parts. I have not watched Scicario or The Revenent yet I have owned both for months.

Get around to both of those as soon as you can. Different yet equally skilled director/cinematographer pairings there. Beautiful films.
    I wasn't impressed with Arrival either, and I know what they were going for. Disappointing film for me.

I highly recommend Sicario and The Revenent. Exceptional films in more ways than one.

I would agree with that.
    From what I've seen of Chaplin's work in the last five or ten years, I think 'Limelight' is currently my favorite.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I felt almost the same way, unfortunately. It wasn't a bad film, it just didn't cut it for me and I found it a bit dull overall. I may revisit it in the future to see if my opinion changes, because aside from that, Villeneuve has knocked all his other films out of the park.

It just felt flat and it was very predictable though it was not engaging enough for me to care, visually it was ok though did not save it for me the CG was too obvious in parts. I have not watched Scicario or The Revenent yet I have owned both for months.

Get around to both of those as soon as you can. Different yet equally skilled director/cinematographer pairings there. Beautiful films.

Almost put both on several times though I have so much on my watch list or been distracted, plus I know I'll need to really sit down and watch them especially The Revenent.

Absolutely, but that's understandable. I've always said for every movie I manage to eliminate from my 'Watch List,' I add ten more. I'll never be fully caught up.

Absolutely the same for me too. Actually my list has grown exceptionally. Im not quite sure what to watch next

Sicario
    The lobster
    Aliens
    Predator
    My cousin vinny
    Misery
    Blade runner
    The machinist
    Black swan
    Glory
    The searchers
    Seven
    Vertigo
    The nice guys
    The quick and the dead
    Black hawk down
    The shawshank redemption
    The treasure of sierra madre
    Citizen Kane
    Butch cassidy
    Sunshine
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Doctor zviago
    Gone with the wind
    Chinatown
    Apocalypse now
    Mad max
    Mad max 2
    Mad max 3
    Psycho
    The graduate
    One flew over the cooko nest
    Brazil
    Reservoir dogs
    Pulp fiction
    Taxi driver
    Raging bull
    Lincoln
    Fight club
    Gone girl
    American beauty
    A fistful of dollars
    Braveheart
    Saving private Ryan
    J Edgar
    Rambo
    The hangover
    Unforgiven
    Iron Lady
    Full metal jacket
    Birdman
    Argo

About maybe half of them, I have actully watched but are due for a reassessment

Good list some great movies there
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I realize Chaplin was very talented, but his films do nothing for me. I find the humour daft.

The humor is somewhat dated and though it often works for me at times, it often doesn't. What I love about the Chaplin films is the sensitivity and pathos. Particularly in CITY LIGHTS and THE GOLD RUSH. There is also his inspired use of the early medium. I love his visuals.

His tramp character has certainly become iconic, almost an archetype.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Got the weekend off will try and watch The Revenent tomorrow, football is on tonight sport just gets in the way of my watchlist :)

Dont watch it with too much excitement ( that was my fault when I saw it first in theatres) its not like an action film, its kinda slow but incredible.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Dont watch it with too much excitement ( that was my fault when I saw it first in theatres) its not like an action film, its kinda slow but incredible.

I don't mind films like that looks like a gruelling character study, the cinematography looks very good also.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Thanks for the clearing up. Still a nice inside joke. I wonder how they knew, that SP will also shoot at Blenheim, after all, MI-RN came out in July, about 3 months before SP hit the screen. And prior to BLADE RUNNER 2049 I actually bought the BLADE RUNNER Final Cut DVD to get into the mood before watching it at a cinema- hopefully with a larger screen and better sound system. But apparently the are closing down for 3 weeks to do soime refurbishing and updating. Hopefully also tech-wise.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Strog wrote: »
    @Birdleson To be honest, of Chaplin's features I've only seen CITY LIGHTS and THE GOLD RUSH. I definitely found VERDOUX the lesser work. In no way deserved the thrashing it got on release, however. As you say, might be worth revisiting somewhere down the road, but by no means would I return to it again and again.

Those two are great. I strongly recommend THE KID, MODERN TIMES and THE GREAT DICTATOR.
    Aware of (and always meaning to get to!) the latter two, and I've heard of THE KID, but I've never actually had anyone recommend it to me before, which means my interest in it is somewhat more piqued now in comparison to the others.
    @Creasy47 Haven't had that one recommended either. Interesting.

Looks like THE KID and LIMELIGHT will be next on my visit to Chaplin.
    I realize Chaplin was very talented, but his films do nothing for me. I find the humour daft.
    @Thunderfinger The humor can be so-so, but I also agree with @Birdleson regarding Chaplin's pathos. That was the strongest aspect of VERDOUX for me. There's a scene with him and Marilyn Nash towards the middle that completely caught me off guard and nearly produced a tear. Chaplin's very good at that.

As a comedic performer and director in general I'll take Buster Keaton every time, though.
    Sicario
    The lobster
    Aliens
    Predator
    My cousin vinny
    Misery
    Blade runner
    The machinist
    Black swan
    Glory
    The searchers
    Seven
    Vertigo
    The nice guys
    The quick and the dead
    Black hawk down
    The shawshank redemption
    The treasure of sierra madre
    Citizen Kane
    Butch cassidy
    Sunshine
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Doctor zviago
    Gone with the wind
    Chinatown
    Apocalypse now
    Mad max
    Mad max 2
    Mad max 3
    Psycho
    The graduate
    One flew over the cooko nest
    Brazil
    Reservoir dogs
    Pulp fiction
    Taxi driver
    Raging bull
    Lincoln
    Fight club
    Gone girl
    American beauty
    A fistful of dollars
    Braveheart
    Saving private Ryan
    J Edgar
    Rambo
    The hangover
    Unforgiven
    Iron Lady
    Full metal jacket
    Birdman
    Argo
    @JamesBondKenya There are certainly many great films here. Personally, based on current mood and interests, I'd probably go for BLACK SWAN, VERTIGO, PSYCHO, or A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS.

Don't let that stop you from seeing them all, now. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks for the clearing up. Still a nice inside joke. I wonder how they knew, that SP will also shoot at Blenheim, after all, MI-RN came out in July, about 3 months before SP hit the screen. And prior to BLADE RUNNER 2049 I actually bought the BLADE RUNNER Final Cut DVD to get into the mood before watching it at a cinema- hopefully with a larger screen and better sound system. But apparently the are closing down for 3 weeks to do soime refurbishing and updating. Hopefully also tech-wise.
    I have to see Blade Runner again soon too. Perhaps this weekend. I have The Final Cut (on blu) and have only viewed it once.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm fairly certain I've only ever watched The Final Cut of the film. With '2049' quickly approaching, I'll likely rewatch a different version of it before its release.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I watched the movie version several times, and the Director's Cut once or twice, but that's about 20 years ago. So some update would come in nicely.
    Had every version of Blade Runner on various formats, The Final Cut looks prestine in HD my favourite version. The scene in Tyrells office when the light hits looks phenomenal
    Dune (1984)
    One of the Worst films i have ever seen. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    001 wrote: »
    Dune (1984)

Wait, WHAT?? It's not as great as it should have been, but one of the WORST??? Clearly you have never seen Octaman or American Hot Wax.... ;)
    Dune (1984)

I remember the HUGE line to see DUNE in 1984 and people exiting the cinemas praising the epic. "What a FANTASTIC movie!!!" some 1984 hipster said as my Dad and I waited in line to see this masterpiece.
    About an hour in I said to my Dad: "What do you think?".
    He responded: "It SUCKS!!!" Let 's go home".
    So we left.
    I eventually caught the rest of it on the tube, but only remember Kyle walking around mumbling and the sand. I'd kind of like to see it again, though. Give it another shot.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Dune (1984)

Wait, WHAT?? It's not as great as it should have been, but one of the WORST??? Clearly you have never seen Octaman or American Hot Wax.... ;)

Clearly, and i won't. :)
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,271
    Dune (1984)

I wouldn't go that far, but I too was disappointed with it. It's one of Lynch's weaker efforts, who I recently mentioned as a hit-and-miss director for me. Just sort of dull and forgettable for me.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Snatched. It's OK. But there is a Christopher Meloni scene that caught me by surprise and had me laughing me a$$ off.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Outland (1981)

Ok, so it's basically 'High Noon' in space as Connery's 'Marshall' is out to get corrupt mining administrator (Peter Boyle) who has hired killers to come and kill the lone Marshall.

Have always liked this and it has a high re-watch value.

Sean Connery is in fine form and looks more agile and fitter than he did in DAF. He gives a real steely performance with some nice sardonic humour he always did so well.

Frances Sternhagen is a great foil for Connery as the facilities Doctor and they have an enjoyable chemistry together.

Strong score too from Jerry Goldsmith.
    I like Outland too. Been meanng to add it to my collection! Connery looks great in it and i always liked Peter Boyle. Director Peter Hyams knows how to stage an action scene and the climax is well handled. The comparisons with the superior High Noon are there, but if you havent seen that classic and like sci-fi you will enjoy this.
    Dune (1984)

I love that film ;)
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I like Outland too. Been meanng to add it to my collection! Connery looks great in it and i always liked Peter Boyle. Director Peter Hyams knows how to stage an action scene and the climax is well handled. The comparisons with the superior High Noon are there, but if you havent seen that classic and like sci-fi you will enjoy this.

Yeah, Peter Hyams has made some good stuff. I got the Bluray online and the picture is very good for an older film.
    Dune sucks all right. I really wonder what Jodorowsky s version would have been like.

CAPOTE
    cap4.jpg

I saw the movie IN COLD BLOOD ages ago, and read the book by Truman Capote that it was based on a while later. Both quite excellent, although rather disturbing.

In light of that, this was an interesting watch that added much understanding to the whole background. That said, I would be bored out of my skull if I should watch the whole thing again.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    An Inconvenient Sequel
    an_inconvenient_sequel_truth_to_power-201635865-mmed.jpg
    I was in the mood to go to the theater yesterday and I was also in the mood for a documentary. So this was the obvious choice. I've never seen the first that was made in 2006 but since it's a documentary I didn't really need to, to know what's going on. I am a believer in climate change and honestly don't know how anyone couldn't believe in it, or at least admit that there's something like it going on. But I'm not here to argue it, I'm just here to say that I saw the movie.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Star-Trek-TMP-poster.jpg
    I caught parts of a couple of episodes of The Original Series on TV last night and it got me in the mood to watch the movies. I decided to start with the first and watch them in order, as I've only seen each of them once and I've only caught the last half hour of The Search for Spock.
    There's more to complain about than there is praise for The Motion Picture. The first hour was pretty good but the last 1 hr. 15 min. wasn't very good. It felt more like a mediocre episode of TOS. Everyone's introduction was pretty lackluster. It had been 10 years since TOS aired to when TMP was made. You would think their introduction/reunion would have been a bit better at the time but whatever, it's the least of the movies problems. It might seem silly but one of my biggest issues with the movie is its design. Overall the Enterprise itself look alright but it suffered the same thing that the uniforms did, dull colors. I don't know why they went from bright beautiful colors of TOS to the boring, almost depressing, colors of TMP. Maybe it was just the different decades but either way it was a bad choice to switch from the yellows, blues, and reds and go to white and grey.
    The biggest problem with the movie is the plot. It's rather dull and not much is going on. It seemed like half the time they were just standing around not really doing anything. Almost a quarter of the movie seemed wasted on long shots of ships floating around. The movie could've easily been shorter by about 20 minutes had they edited those shots out.
    I'm looking forward to watching the other five movies because I know it goes up from there. Last I had it, TMP was at the bottom of my list for TOS movies and I'm sure that's where it will stay.
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Well I thought the first one was ok. Very overrated but enjoyable enough.

This is simply garbage. A fast food movie. Devoid of nourishment or anything memorable. A great big unconvincing CGI wankfest with some of the lamest 'jokes' I've ever winced at in a film. All the soundtrack does is remind you that music will never be as good as it was in the 70's as well as the film relying on it and if you need Cat Stevens to add pathos to the end of your film then you're in trouble.

Overlong, badly acted (especially surprisingly from Chris Pratt) and with a terrible script (IT'S ABOUT FAMILY DUH!!!)

The film thinks it's so cool and clever but just comes across as stupid and infantile.

If this is the future of fantasy cinema you can poke it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow, I kinda loved it. Did we see the same movie-?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Wow, I kinda loved it. Did we see the same movie-?

Hey I'm in the minority, most critics seem to like it too.

Perhaps disposable junk is in vogue. Or perhaps James Gunn is bribing you all...
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Well I thought the first one was ok. Very overrated but enjoyable enough.

This is simply garbage. A fast food movie. Devoid of nourishment or anything memorable. A great big unconvincing CGI wankfest with some of the lamest 'jokes' I've ever winced at in a film. All the soundtrack does is remind you that music will never be as good as it was in the 70's as well as the film relying on it and if you need Cat Stevens to add pathos to the end of your film then you're in trouble.

Overlong, badly acted (especially surprisingly from Chris Pratt) and with a terrible script (IT'S ABOUT FAMILY DUH!!!)

The film thinks it's so cool and clever but just comes across as stupid and infantile.

If this is the future of fantasy cinema you can poke it.

Easily one of the most forgettable movies I've ever seen. Shocked to see the sequel could somehow be even worse, didn't think that was possible.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Wow! I'll agree that both the first and second Guardians of the Galaxy are a bit overrated but garbage and forgettable??? That's just pushing it.
    Afer the first GOTG movie, I had zero interest in seeing another.

An enjoyable rewatch.

Peter Jackson, get out of development Hades and give us that sequel!
    Wow! I'll agree that both the first and second Guardians of the Galaxy are a bit overrated but garbage and forgettable??? That's just pushing it.

Saw it theaters and could only recall a few particular scenes just 48 hours or so later. It was forgettable, didn't stick with me in the slightest. Only my opinion.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ripley's Game (2002)
    hXzhzHu.jpg

Just finished this Lilliana Cavani directed thriller, starring John Malkovich as Patricia Highsmith's deliciously compelling & endearing psychopath Tom Ripley. This film unforgivably never got a theatrical release stateside for some reason. Ripley is much older here than in Anthony Minghella's The Talented Mr. Ripley (which was based on the first of Highsmith's novels), and has retired to a lovely mansion in the Italian countryside with his beautiful wife Luisa (Chiara Caselli), an aspiring local musician. He is a connoisseur of the finer things in life and surrounds himself with elegance and beauty. Unfortunately one day an odious gangster colleague Reeves (Ray Winstone in a particularly uncomfortable turn) from his past arrives on his doorstep demanding a favour as payment for past indiscretions. Ripley agrees, sensing an opportunity to take advantage of expat British picture framer Jonathan Trevanny (Dougray Scott) who slighted him at a party he hosted with his wife Sarah (Lena Headey) a few nights back. Trevanny unknowingly sealed his fate with his disparaging remarks, and becomes a pawn in Ripley's 'game'. Why? Because he was there and available. Ripley deviously structures this task in a manner which he knows Trevanny will be compelled to accept. What transpires after this is murder, deception and tragedy.

The film has an authentic feel, with lovely on-location photography in Veneto, Italy & Berlin. Malkovich is superb as a more seasoned Ripley and depicts the character's charm, sociopathy & duality very well. I'd say it is a role he was made for. Dougray Scott is wonderful as the hapless victim of Ripley's attention. Lena Headey shows that she is an amazingly talented actress who deserves all the fame she gets. Finally Ray Winstone owns it as the very dislikable Reeves (it's a pity his comeuppance is not shown on film). The legendary Ennio Morricone provides the moody score.

Recommended. They really need to remake all the Ripley novels in an epic fashion imho.