Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

The War For The Planet Of The Apes.

Excellent film, ended how I thought it would. Great story and effects. Will assume their will be another movie to come?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Excellent film, ended how I thought it would. Great story and effects. Will assume their will be another movie to come?

It is the last in a trilogy, but one can hope that they reimagine some of the old ones.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,730
    I went to see atomic blonde and was super exicted to see a bond style film. However for the first time ever, the theatre didnt let us see it because we arent 17. Ive been wathing R films there for 5 years so that was strange. How is it anyway? Is it worth seeing?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I went to see atomic blonde and was super exicted to see a bond style film. However for the first time ever, the theatre didnt let us see it because we arent 17. Ive been wathinf R films there for 5 years so that was strange. How is it anyway? Is it worth seeing?
    Absolutely. Highly recommended. Keep trying. At some point you'll get in. Reading your post takes me back. We've all been there.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I remember it took me three times to get into The 40 Year Old Virgin when i was 16. They were literally carding at the box office, at the individual theater entrance and then more people came around and were carding in the seats. When I finally got around to seeing it, I was like WTF, they were carding people for this!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    They're both excellent indeed @Creasy47. I liked the more outlandish characters in the later film and the 70s setting but really enjoyed them both.

I knew from that opening scene with Bale's hair issue that it was going to be a pretty fun film.
    I went to see atomic blonde and was super exicted to see a bond style film. However for the first time ever, the theatre didnt let us see it because we arent 17. Ive been wathing R films there for 5 years so that was strange. How is it anyway? Is it worth seeing?

Sounds like someone started to do their job properly, as unfortunate as it is for you. Should've bought a PG-13 (or lower) ticket and snuck in!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

It is the last in a trilogy, but one can hope that they reimagine some of the old ones.

oh ok, I didn't realise that. Well I guess one can only hope?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    They're both excellent indeed @Creasy47. I liked the more outlandish characters in the later film and the 70s setting but really enjoyed them both.

I knew from that opening scene with Bale's hair issue that it was going to be a pretty fun film.

Sounds like someone started to do their job properly, as unfortunate as it is for you. Should've bought a PG-13 (or lower) ticket and snuck in!

I did!!!!! The fuc**ng ticket guy followed us in the theatre and when he saw us go into atomic blonde he threw us out.

I did!!!!! The fuc**ng ticket guy followed us in the theatre and when he saw us go into atomic blonde he threw us out.
    From time to time one encounters these puritan knobs. It's regrettable. Try a different time slot when this clown isn't working. This film isn't as violent as John Wick but there's some tame 'girl on girl' action which may be the concern
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,528

From time to time one encounters these puritan knobs. It's regrettable. Try a different time slot when this clown isn't working. This film isn't as violent as John Wick but there's some tame 'girl on girl' action which may be the concern

You know you're living in the 21st Century when gore, blood, and murder is acceptable, but a little T&A is a big no-no.

Just like how cigarette smoking can now warrant a PG-13 rating...something you can easily see walking down any sidewalk, anyway.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,692
    @JamesBondKenya you should move to my country, films like 'John Wick 2', 'Logan' and 'Atomic Blonde' are only restricted for people under 12 years old here.
    @JamesBondKenya you should move to my country, films like 'John Wick 2', 'Logan' and 'Atomic Blonde' are only restricted for people under 12 years old here.

Sounds like a nice place. Which country is it?
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    I just watched Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation last night

Interesting that it came out in 2015, the same year as SPECTRE, features a shadowy organisation with a vague sort of name, "The Syndicate", while SPECTRE was absorbing "Quantum", lead by a rather innocuous looking soft spoken villain, ditto SPECTRE, and using Morrocco and London as main settings, ditto SPECTRE

Just a coincidence?

I enjoyed both of them, but perhaps because I have unreasonably high expectations of Bond I enjoyed MI-RN more at first, however on reflection they both have their share of the ridiculousness which seems unavoidable in high action movies produced in the age of the Superhero movie

I have been pleased to see MI incrementaly moving back toward having a team, rather than just Tom Cruise as a one man band. MI1 started with a team but by the end had dismantled it, either killed off or found to be traitors, apart from the everpresent Ving Rhames. MI2 had Rhames and some Aussie temp and flirted with the idea of Anthony Hopkins as "The Boss". MI3 brought in Simon Pegg for a dash of humour, MI4 added Jeremy Renner and now they have added Alec Baldwin to play "The Boss"
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Sounds like a nice place. Which country is it?

France.
    @Seve, not only all those comparisons, but it's a night-time London finale that involves the villain being encapsulated by a glass enclosure.
    The Spectre meeting location was used in MI-RN as well. It's where Hunt confronts the PM.
    The Spectre meeting location was used in MI-RN as well. It's where Hunt confronts the PM.

Wow, you learn something new every day (and it's typically you clueing me in on stuff like this). Had no idea, but I feel like replaying both scenes in my mind, I can see the similarities.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The similarities are uncanny @Creasy47. The building is Blenheim Place in Oxfordshire (at least MI-RN got the country right).

Both films also use Austria as a location (Vienna State Opera in MI-RN and White's hideout/Swann's clinic in SP).
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,528
    Along with it starring a rogue agent who has to prove why his organization isn't obsolete, both movies involve the team members meeting up with the rogue agent in question towards the end of the movie to assist, the head of British intelligence in both is evil, the villain is arrested in the end, AND a minor character is wired to a bomb (in nighttime London, no less) during the finale.

Confirmed: 'Spectre' and 'Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation' are the exact same movie.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Avengers (2012), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), The Winter Soldier (2014) & Civil War (2016)
    FFr6LIY.png

Decided to revisit these ensemble pieces from the ubiquitous house of Marvel. I skipped The First Avenger because I don't enjoy it all that much.

Loved them all. Each film has some excellent individual scenes and state of the art gritty action (particularly The Winter Soldier).

These films are anchored by RDJ's Tony Stark and Chris Evans Captain America imho. They are the rocks that hold it all together and the rest of the characters are in support. Both are beautifully realized by the actors in question.

What I found interesting is that even though there's all this state of the art CGI craziness in the films, that's not what I enjoy (in fact I find all that rather annoying). The parts that linger and impress the most are the quiet character interactions. Scenes that involve one or two participants revealing something to one another or enduring some grief or stress. Marvel has a superb cast of actors in tow for these films, and it's a testament to their creativity and script writing that they've been able to fully develop most of the characters and their arcs throughout the films as well as deftly introduce new ones (like Holland's Spidey).

I have to admit that the pace at which they churn these out can be a little overwhelming at times, but having viewed them after some time I must say they are very good films in the genre. The Winter Soldier is actually exceptional.
    Doctor Strange (2016)
    I really liked this film,great fun.
    Eraserhead (1977) - just began my third viewing. This is one of the most strange, disturbing, and fascinating films I have ever encountered - and I really like it. Totally one of a kind.
    QoS...it's on TV right now. Watched the DVD two months ago, but I can never not watch a Bond film on TV. The same channel showed it last night, but I fell asleep during the harbor scene. Tonight, I turned on the TV and that's pretty much where I picked it up again!
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,284
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Eraserhead (1977) - just began my third viewing. This is one of the most strange, disturbing, and fascinating films I have ever encountered - and I really like it. Totally one of a kind.

It is fascinating. Sometimes it borders on self-indulgent BS (like much of Lynch's work), but it's difficult to define exactly where that border is.

It's so interesting and unique. I like half of Lynch's films (The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, The Straight Story, Eraserhead, and Mulholland Drive), and the rest I really don't care for much. Lost Highway I liked parts of, but it didn't really come together as a whole for me. The other Lynch films I don't like honestly. Definitely a hit-and-miss director for me.
    Dennis Hopper is so crazy in Blue velvet.
    Never seen anything like his crazy acting in cinema.
    Has anyone else ?
    001 wrote: »
    Has anyone else ?

He was terrific fun to watch. Great actor. Blue Velvet is my second favorite Lynch film just behind The Elephant Man right now.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,575
    FoxRox wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    Has anyone else ?

He was terrific fun to watch. Great actor. Blue Velvet is my second favorite Lynch film just behind The Elephant Man right now.

He might have been on drugs at the time.
    My favorite Lynch is probably FIRE WALK WITH ME. Even trying to step outside my bias as a Twin Peaks fan, I still think it's a fantastic film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Strog wrote: »
    My favorite Lynch is probably FIRE WALK WITH ME. Even trying to step outside my bias as a Twin Peaks fan, I still think it's a fantastic film.

Agreed FWWM is my favourite Lynch film just ahead of Mullholland Drive, I have owned FWWM for years though bought this box set for my birthday recently...

A1HjZ0mOi-L._SX342_.jpg

Includes FWWM, Twin Peaks season 1 and 2 and The Missing Pieces. I have yet to watch The Missing Pieces hopefully will at weekend see if anything else connects with The Return.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I have it just ahead of MULHOLLAND DRIVE as well, followed by ERASERHEAD. Sheryl Lee's performance is just so outstanding. In general I think it's one of the great horror films. Wish it had been more warmly received.

MONSIEUR VERDOUX (1947) / Charlie Chaplin
    6a0168ea36d6b2970c017eeb0f5282970d-600wi
    Before Walter White came Monsieur Verdoux — and like Cranston's drug lord, Chaplin's serial killer turns out in the final analysis not to be committing his heinous acts so much for family as he is using family to justify the troubled impulses in himself to which he was blind (a gag at one point features Chaplin's son pulling the cats tale, whereupon Chaplin chews him out for having a cruelty streak -- "I don't know where you get it!")

Now, I say gag; but VERDOUX is probably Chaplin's least funny film. It provokes a few laughs—Chaplin manages to turn attempted murder into a comedy routine—but on the whole the film reads more like "dark satire," culminating in the film's final moments with a particular physical gesture that, despite its narrative context, coaxes a smile. It also ironically acts as a neat and prescient metaphor for the film's initial reception and the consequences Chaplin would bear afterward.

Chaplin's direction is fairly lukewarm, but his focus is on the tale, and that's sufficient. Marilyn Nash is enchanting in her bit part as something of Verdoux's foil. I can't believe she didn't have a bigger career.

Though Chaplin comes across at times as a heavy-handed social critic, never does his message seem to excuse his character's acts against society; in fact its more at once a condemnation of Verdoux and his society, and that his character can act as a social critic at all—or has some ground to—is somewhat, I think, the point.