Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DD's April 15 2017 *Five Random Strange Creature* Marathon

PART III
    SNAKES ON A PLANE

Snakes_on_a_Plane_-_Poster.jpg

Let's go to Honolulu, where we begin our story; a story nobody ever wanted because, well, the title is enough to draw you in, right? I was there, opening night, thinking I was going to see the best parts of PULP FICTION and JAWS combined, but then with snakes. On a plane. How cool can you make it? Well, I still owe you the answer to that question because while the film delivers what the title promises, the 'magic' just isn't there. Sam Jackson does what he does well, there are some entertaining jokes, but somehow, I still think it's just an unfunny heap of punchlines which may work individually yet don't make the film a great experience.

It's rock 'n roll without the rock. SNAKES ON A PLANE works in concept but fails in execution.

THE RUINS: 7/10
    PRIMAL: 6,5/10
    SNAKES ON A PLANE: 5/10

PART IV
    JENNIFER'S BODY

1002004007959330.jpg

I'm an easy lay for a good black comedy, especially when there are enough juvenile jokes thrown in the mix to make Spicoli blush. But let's talk about Megan Fox. I love Megan Fox. No, seriously, I do. She's incredibly hot and she's not at all the bad actress many make her out to be. I have spoken.

So in JENNIFER'S BODY, Megan is turned into a literal man-eater after an unholy encounter with a rock band of which the members practice Satanic rituals. Jennifer's dorky BFF Needy, upon learning of Jennifer's appetite for her boyfriend, decides the time is right to catch her a predator.

Unlike SNAKES ON A PLANE, this movie gets it right. Well, more or less. I don't want to oversell my enthusiasm but if you knock over some Red Bull and let your hormones do the thinking for you, there are enough fun moments to be had with this film.

Also, I love Megan Fox. Seriously, I do.

JENNIFER'S BODY: 8,5/10
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    @DarthDimi , I like THE DARK KNIGHT, but if you take away Heath Ledger's extraordinary portrayel of The Joker there's not a lot there. Also, the title character never really feels like Batman to me in the latter two films, though, again, I like the movies.

That's just how I feel about TDK. Ledger's performance is unbelievably good, but he's unfortunately in the weakest of Nolan's three. I do like Eckhart's Dent though, and the scene the two share in the hospital is the film's strongest moment.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'd rank RISES above TDK.

Same here.

PART V
    PREY

bvpqrv54.jpg?v=1456250079

This one has creatures that are perfectly real: lions. On a safari gone bad. Well, you can practically write the script now, can't you? But, I must say, there's a lot of tension, beautiful photography and more than adequate performances from Bridget Moynahan, Peter Weller and Carly Schroeder. Tension kicks in pretty fast and doesn't fade until the end of the film.

Afraid of lions? Well you should be and this film, which is the safari equivalent of CUJO, explains why. A very good way for me to end my creature feature marathon. :)

PREY: 8.5/10
    JENNIFER'S BODY: 8.5/10
    PRIMAL: 6.5/10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

PART II
    THE RUINS

33uews3.jpg

We move from Australia to Mexico. Another group of walking meat-bags arrives at an old Aztec pyramid and is unexpectedly forced to remain there lest some nervous locals shoot them on the spot. Surprised by this weird turn of events yet persuaded by a convincing example already set, the group flees to the top of the construction. Once there, our youngsters encounter a strange phenomenon: flesh eating plants will not give them an easy time. A Lovecraftian element? Certainly. Ominous, mysterious lifeforms in an old ruin. H.P. would have been proud.

Jonathan Tucker, Jena Malone, Shawn Ashmore, Laura Ramsey, and Joe Anderson star in this pretty gory and enjoyable little film.

One of those all to few chances to catch Jena Malone leading the cast of a mainstream film. The Ruins features plenty of moments to make viewers squirm.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I must make sure to purchase Prey. Bridget Moynahan in her prime? Say no more!

For anyone who likes a good lion scare, I recommend The Ghost and the Darkness starring Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas. I saw that in the theatre when it came out and really enjoyed it - there's more to it than the lions.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    bondjames wrote: »

For anyone who likes a good lion scare, I recommend The Ghost and the Darkness starring Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas. I saw that in the theatre when it came out and really enjoyed it - there's more to it than the lions.

Ahhh that's a great film set in kenya as well
    Fate of the Furious (2017)

I've never seen this level of destruction (outside of disaster films) in one single film. The action here is just phenomenal - particularly the New York sequence and the Iceland climax, which I'd probably rank as 2 of the most incredible action sequences in recent years. The Dwayne Johnson/Jason Statham dynamic was better than expected, the amount of insults and one liners they throw at each other is hilarious. And there is a 2nd similar duo between Tyrese Gibson and Scott Eastwood. The prison fight was absolutely badass, and a particular short apparition of an well-known actress, present only in 2 scenes in the film, but she totally owned the screen. 'Fast Five' is still my favorite in the franchise, but 'Fate of the Furious' is a very close 2nd. Statham and Dwayne Johnson were basically super heroes in this film. I just love it! Charlize Theron was a God in this film, what a beautiful woman, and she was proper chilling as the villain!

OK, I haven't seen this one yet. So without spoiling it, when you say they action scenes are phenomenal, how are they in terms of CGI?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @vzok the one action sequence that the CGI was dodgy was the New York sequence with the controlled cars (as seen in the trailers), but the sheer insanity and scope of the sequence very much make up for it.
    bondjames wrote: »

Ahhh that's a great film set in kenya as well
    I must purchase that film. Just commenting on it brings back great memories. Very tense and with beautiful scenery.
    @vzok the one action sequence that the CGI was dodgy was the New York sequence with the controlled cars (as seen in the trailers), but the sheer insanity and scope of the sequence very much make up for it.

Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to catching this one.
    Well, I've just seen another of your Bond-clone recommendations: That Man In Istambul (1965).
    It's an above average Eurospy flick which was partly filmed in Barcelona, so it's a blast to see some places I actually know and often walk by. The excellent casting choices (Horst Buscholz, Mario Adorf, Sylvia Koscina, Klaus Kinsky and a host of some of the best Spanish character actors of the era like Agustín González or Ángel Picazo) make up for Antonio Isasi-Isasmendi's clumsy direction. Other downsides are the confusing plot, seeing Koscina reduced to be a lady in waiting when she's supposed to be the FBI agent here and a hideous English dub that forced me to get an original Spanish version (Spanish - native - is actually my second language while English is the 3rd, BTW. My mother tongue is Catalan).
    Other than the plot, the script manages to be fairly humorous (Buscholz even breaks the 4th wall!) and the action scenes are decent enough.

Other than that, I'll have to tell my bro the Power Rangers movie is good: he's a big fan. And I love tokusatsu and Super Sentai movies. Quite tempting, I must say (though without Bulk and Skull... I guess I'll buy it when it comes out in video).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @bigladiesman Isn't that the construction site scene at night where Buscholz breaks the fourth wall and utters Alfred E. Neuman's catchphrase? "Who Me Worry?" :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ok so watched Fast 8 last night.

I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it and I have to say I think Jason Statham really stole the show.

This film series from the start has always been ridiculous but when the 5th came out you can see they were dialing this series up. Fast 8 knows what it is, knows its audience and gives zero fucks in dialing up to 11.

The opening scenes in Cuba are absolutely gorgeous. This film series knows how to make great use of locations and the babes...oh hohohohoho...the chicas in Cuba are a sight to behold.

The action is crazy, the prison fight is bananas, the NY scenes showed a new level of creativity (reminded me of the airport fight in captain America civil war) in bringing action to a cinematic overused city and this film managed to successfully blend hand to hand beat downs and pumping guys full of lead with "prop" humour without ruining the scenes (take notes EoN)

I have to say the only thing that annoyed me slightly was the twist that motivated Dominic to go rogue but other than that we get some welcome returns of previous characters and some new ones and Theron's Cypher reminded me of Silva and Blofeld except she was better looking and strangely far more threatening and effective as a villain.

This film opened late last week and has already made over $530 Million. It'll make a $Billion easily.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 1,009
    @bigladiesman Isn't that the construction site scene at night where Buscholz breaks the fourth wall and utters Alfred E. Neuman's catchphrase? "Who Me Worry?" :D

Yep, it is.

That said, I confirm my grandfather worked in this film: credited with the props is Miró (associated to Balcázar Studios), the film and office furniture company for which he worked.

BTW, next one on my list is 077: Mission Bloody Mary
    The Long Good Friday

Had the DVD for years but oddly never watched it. That finally changed the other night. One of my new favourite films. Bob Hoskins is sublime in the lead role and I'm sure I recognise that young IRA hitman from somewhere ;)

I've also got the theme in my head.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The Long Good Friday

Had the DVD for years but oddly never watched it. That finally changed the other night. One of my new favourite films. Bob Hoskins is sublime in the lead role and I'm sure I recognise that young IRA hitman from somewhere ;)

I've also got the theme in my head.

Always been one of my favourites. The scene on the boat between Shand and his right hand man Jeff is just intense. Probably one of my all time favourite film scenes.

Just such a great cast. and I love the soundtrack. Have owned it on vinyl for years.

I think this and Get Carter are two of the Best British films ever made.

I always wished there had been a sequel with Shand escaping his would be assassins at the start. Certainly would have been interesting. (He did have James Bond in the car with him...!)
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 11,189
    To be honest I think a sequel would have been silly and it's a perfect ending for that character.

I kept thinking of another line from Bond when Pierce does that great smirk in the car.

"I've got you now"
    "Well enjoy yourself"

Also notable for featuring Casualty's Derek Thompson as Jeff (a notoriously bad but loveable actor).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Yep, it is.

That said, I confirm my grandfather worked in this film: credited with the props is Miró (associated to Balcázar Studios), the film and office furniture company for which he worked.

BTW, next one on my list is 077: Mission Bloody Mary
    I love both Ken Clark's 077 trilogy and Richard Harrison's two-parter.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE LITTLE RASCALS SAVE THE DAY
    org_20141203_8854f614.jpg

Surprisingly engaging film. It has everything, humour, suspense, charm. And no one dies, which is one thing I like about (most) kids movies.
    Total Recall (1990)
    Y6TAnS0.jpg
    "They stole his mind. Now he wants it back." That poster was all over the London tube stations in 1990. It fascinated me. There was something about Arnie and space that seemed intriguing. Some years later I rented it on video and it was one of the best movie watching experiences I had up to that point outside of Bond. I still love the film to this day, as it's a wonderful blend of humour, action, fantasy and sci-fi. Arnie is Doug Quaid, a construction worker in the future who realizes his life up to that point is a lie when he visits a memory implant vacation company called Rekall. After the visit, he realizes that he is actually a secret agent fighting against an imperial ruler on Mars, and everyone is out to kill or capture him. The film boasts a great supporting cast, including a pre-fame Sharon Stone showing the luminous potential that would make her a star a few years later, a kick 'a' Rachel Ticotin, the always reliable Michael Ironside (as consummate bad guy) and of course Ronny Cox, who crops up in a lot of blockbusters from that era. The late, great Jerry Goldsmith's score is sublime, the sets are magnificent (and evoke a bit of Adam), and the action is worthy of an Arnie flick. Paul Verhoeven, fresh off his success with Robocop, directs with flair. The plot is based on a Philip Dick short story, and is highly entertaining and fun. It was recently remade, but I didn't enjoy that one as much. The 1990 version is more pulpy and has more character. Arnie as secret agent works. In fact, it works so well that he did it again in the wildly successful True Lies a few years later. There are some great lines in this film, delivered with Arnie's vintage flair.

"Come on baby, you know youah the girl of my dreayums.!"

Here's one with a bit of an SF twist:
    "These guys were going to kill me... BUT I KILLED DEM!"

And of course, the pièce de résistance:
    "Screw yoooooouuu!"
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, great movie, always a blast to fire up on blu-ray. Some of my favorites:

"Consida dat a divoarce."

"You are not you, you're me."
    "No shit."
    Indeed @Creasy47. Great fun. In fact, my appetite has been whetted for more prime Schwarzenegger and I may put in Terminator soon. The Goldsmith score during the Cuato sequence is outstanding. "Open your miiiiiind"

A few other killers
    "If I am not me, den who da hell am I?!"
    "See u at da party Richter!"
    I did a double bill of the two within the last week or so, great decision as always (the first two 'Terminator' installments, that is). They're both incredible, yet so vastly different, too, which makes for a great feature - much like 'Alien' (whets my horror appetite tenfold) and 'Aliens' (creepy atmosphere combined with a bunch of badasses and an army of Xenomorphs? Say no more!).
    That's a great idea actually. I think I'll do the same. I never got round to watching T2 for its 25th anniversary so this presents an opportunity to watch it with the original. The Alien double bill is also a superb suggestion and just in time for Alien: Covenant.
    Let me know what sort of combination you go with and how it goes for you! I'm still not as excited as I wish I was for 'Alien: Covenant,' but I'm sure I'll check it out in theaters and may have to do another double bill of the first two right before I do.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I rewatched Anthropoid today it's a pretty good ww2 film worth checking out for sure
    I rewatched Anthropoid today it's a pretty good ww2 film worth checking out for sure

I'd like to rewatch it here in the near future, really enjoyed the first viewing of it. It reminded me of 'Flame & Citron,' another recent WWII film worth checking out. Mads Mikkelsen and Jesper Christensen are in it as added bonuses, both are phenomenal in the movie.
    The Man Who Haunted Himself (1970)
    mJyqoSb.jpg
    I was in the mood for some Moore. So I put in what is reputed to be his preferred non Bond performance and a personal favourite of mine. Sir Rog stars as Harold Pelham in this psychological thriller, an overworked executive at a marine technology company. He is the epitome of a 'stiff ass Brit'. Everything must be in its place, everything is to time, and he even obeys the speed limit! There is no spontaneity or variety in his life, which vexes his wife Eve, played by the regal and classically stylish Hildegarde Neil. She longs for some TLC from her stressed husband.

One day when coming home from work, Pelham starts to drive his car erratically and has a major accident. While on the operating table he briefly dies before being resuscitated by the doctors. When he returns from hospital, he finds his life turned inside out, with many friends and co-workers stating that they've seen him in places that he can't remember being at. Additionally, he begins to be suspected of leaking information to a competitor corporation which is interested in merging with his employer. As the stakes get higher, Pelham starts to doubt his sanity and checks in with psychiatrist Dr. Harris (played by the always entertaining and charismatic Freddie Jones) to determine what is wrong with him. Does he have a doppelganger or is he indeed going mad?

Directed by Basil Dearden, this is an entertaining if dated thriller. Moore gives a superb, nuanced performance as the haunted Pelham, and the supporting cast is excellent also (and includes the always watchable Anton Rodgers as well as Olga Georges-Picot) .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    WAR HORSE

I didn t have high hopes for this film, but it more than delivered. I was gradually pleasantly surprised. Only complaint: The overly sentimental score gets so clicheed and exaggerated it actually kills the emotional scenes a couple of times instead of enhancing them. But that is Spielberg for you.