Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Aw come on Ferris Beuller is a fun movie! Granted I grew up with it- maybe if I saw it for the first time NOW it wouldn't have the effect.
    But still, I enjoy watching it whenever it's on.

'If you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond.'

I enjoyed it aswell
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,813
    What's funny is that as a kid I of course rooted for Ferris, but now I root for his sister and Principal!
    He's depicted as the 'bad guy' but he's really just going above and beyond to get that little shit.

And who can forget this guy? (was he playing himself? :)) )

".....Drugs.....?"

24209E7000000578-2877928-image-m-44_1418841972600.jpg
    I haven't seen it in at least a decade, so I'm neutral.
    Give it a whirl sometime- it's like a portal to the 80s ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Master_Dahark, I may. The 80s is my giant blind spot for films. The 40s and 50s are classic, the 60s vibrant, the 70s deep, challenging and enriching, and the 90s and 2000s the films that I grew up on. The 80s are just kind of there.
    I'll probably try to catch The Graduate (1967) at my theater in couple weeks; great film. And no way I'm missing The Godfather (1972) in June. Thank you Fathom Events.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Ok I have been training like a Demon this week, though BvS warehouse scene is unbelievably awesome. I think I am addicted to this hated movie ;))
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'll probably try to catch The Graduate (1967) at my theater in couple weeks; great film. And no way I'm missing The Godfather (1972) in June. Thank you Fathom Events.

Great films. The second being my favorite.

For sure. Both two favorites for me; second is Top 10 at least.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,086
    I have The Graduate on my upcoming watch list so I'll need to check that out soon, but The Godfather is in my top 10 films as well.
    I've actually only seen The Graduate (1967) once. But it's extremely good. Definitely one of the great classics I think.
    I agree that the first half is superior, but I like the second half a lot too. My favorite scene I think is the scuba suit scene.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953)

alien.png

While I have nothing against the Spielberg film, it doesn't, in my opinion, hold a candle to Byron Haskin's 1953 monumental adaptation of one of H.G. Wells' best known novels. No matter how 'old' this film is, its visuals are impressive even today and an eerie sense of apocalyptic horror is expertly conveyed. Magnificent science fiction epic.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The effects of the old make the visuals look a lot more creepy than the one we see today. Call me old fashioned, but the modern horror films don't hold a candle to the old ones for example.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    My only problem with THE GRADUATE, as excellent as the first half is, it loses it's way a bit in the second half. Great ending though.

I agree completely. I rewatched The Graduate not too long ago actually and was struck by how much time was spent developing Benjamin's relationship with Mrs. Robinson and how very little time was spent on his relationship with Elaine. Consequently it feels rather forced when we're meant to believe that Benjamin and Elaine actually have feelings for each other, both pre- and post-break-up. I tried writing the discrepancy off as "puppy love" magically appearing out of nowhere, but the real explanation is simply that the film is imbalanced. A very, very good film, don't get me wrong, but certainly flawed with respect to how Elaine is handled.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 12,277
    Fair enough criticism. The shift could have been a little more polished. Still though, a lot better that most stuff coming out today.

Also wanted to add if The Godfather Part II (1974) isn't in my Top 10 ever alongside the first, it's at least a Top 20 movie ever for me. I wish that was coming back to the theater as well.

EDIT: Watching Blade Runner (1982) now. Another all-time favorite.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The Godfather 2 is better than the Godfather
  • FoxRox wrote: »

Sweet! That's my personal all-time fave. Enjoy!
    FoxRox wrote: »

Sweet! That's my personal all-time fave. Enjoy!

Definitely a good pick for a favorite movie! It's just so good; my favorite of Ridley Scott's many works, and he's one of my favorite directors.
    BLADE RUNNER, THE GODFATHER, THE GODFATHER PART II: all among my favorites.

Naturally =D>
    It's one of those rare days you have to watch Superman The Movie
    Rare?
    I usually watch it twice a year

edited April 2017 Posts: 23,579
    I can no longer watch that movie in a vacuum. I feel compelled in fact to go through the entire SUPERMAN DVD set

- Superman and the Mole Men
    - Superman: The Movie
    - Superman: The Movie remastered
    - Superman II
    - Superman II: The Donner Cut
    - Superman III
    - Superman IV The Quest For Peace
    - (here I squeeze in Supergirl)
    - Superman Returns
    - The Fleischer Superman cartoons

And then I move on to
    - Man Of Steel
    - Batman v Superman

and a ton of animated films.

Then there are also the making ofs and whatnot.

Watching Superman for me has become quite the undertaking.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I can no longer watch that movie in a vacuum. I feel compelled in fact to go through the entire SUPERMAN DVD set

- Superman and the Mole Men
    - Superman: The Movie
    - Superman: The Movie remastered
    - Superman II
    - Superman II: The Donner Cut
    - Superman III
    - Superman IV The Quest For Peace
    - (here I squeeze in Supergirl)
    - Superman Returns
    - The Fleischer Superman cartoons

And then I move on to
    - Man Of Steel
    - Batman v Superman

and a ton of animated films.

Then there are also the making ofs and whatnot.

Watching Superman for me has become quite the undertaking.
    You read my mind I was thinking of watching the whole series.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 12,277
    With Superman I only am particulary fond of the first two Reeve movies. Having said that I tolerate Man of Steel and also think Superman III beats Superman IV. I don't remember Returns very well.
    I have no antagonistic feelings towards Returns, but I know many have. It's the emo Superman I guess.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Returns has seen a reevaluation from many, because the newer films we have now are actually even worse to Superman's character.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I've always been supportive of Returns. Can't really detect the "emoism" people talk about Brandon Routh's Superman. On the contrary, Cavill's Superman is the emo one, whereas Routh's was a resurrection of the Reeves rendition (and as such was supposed to be an intended sequel to the Superman II, ignoring its two consecutively released sequels).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Returns had a much, much better Luthor for certain.
    Yep! I loved Spacey's Lex Luthor.
    People pick on Returns because they think Superman is being too big a stalker, looking into Lois' house at her happy life and all that.

Man of Steel was a good Superman film to me, but they ruined Pa Kent in it and Ma in BvS, so they can't be forgiven for that. Making the greatest parents in comics into callous, selfish people is a crime.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Making the greatest parents in comics into callous, selfish people is a crime.

So should the writers be punished or rehabilitated?
    Making the greatest parents in comics into callous, selfish people is a crime.

So should the writers be punished or rehabilitated?
    Burned on sticks. :))