Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @stag, excellent movie! Saw it very recently for the first time myself. :) Did you like it?

THE CAINE MUTINY

cain_7122.jpg

Bogart in one of his later, and if I may say so more complicated roles, is not the only attractive element in this wonderful movie. José Ferrer, father of the late Miguel, makes a memorable appearance too. Towards the end of the movie he gives a speech that I keep going back to in my mind. Such a powerful performance!
    @Birdleson

Are you referring to Bogart or to Ferrer?
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Dr. Syn alias The Scarecrow (1963). Despite beng a Disneyfied version of the character, I liked this one better than Hammer's Captain Clegg. Patrick McGoohan does a great performance and we see some Bond alumni like Geoffrey Keen (as a kinda half goofy villain), Robert Brown and Eric Pohlmann (just before voicing Blofeld in TB).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Batman motion picture anthology collection.
    latest?cb=20130802073321

I've been on a bit of a batman kick lately so I decided to watch the four original films. I had positive experiences with all four of them. Batman is my favorite of the original films. It's cinematic Batman in his earliest and purist form. It does have a few flaws but the cast performances help to make me overlook the flaws. I don't mind that Joker was the man who killed Bruce Wayne's parents instead of Joe Chill. I'm not really a reader of the comics so that's something I can easily overlook. For me the film's biggest flaw is it focuses a bit too much on the Alexander Knox character and the bureaucrats running Gotham city. I get that they want to keep Batman mysterious but I think the films should focus more on Batman and less on the supporting characters. It is a solid film and it do enjoy it a lot.

Batman Returnshas always been hit and miss for me in the past but I really enjoyed it this time around. Yes it does have some rather silly moments that make me roll my eyes but those moments weren't as bad as the silly moments I have problems with in the film coming next. Michael Keaton gives his best performance as Bruce Wayne and Batman here. He's still my favorite live action Batman actor. I also enjoy the rest of the cast as well. The Penguin's plot is rather stupid but I thought it was fun to watch anyway.

We now come to my least favorite film of the original four Batman Forever. It is a shame that Keaton didn't return to the role but I understand why he didn't want to. That being said I do like Val Kilmer as Batman and Bruce Wayne. He follows what Keaton did with the role. While many might disagree I do like the visual style to the Joel Schumacher Batman films. They remind me of the Animated Series with that Art Deco look though amped up to 11. Though I noticed while watching Batman and Batman Returns that Tim Burton even had the large statues of humans and such so it does feel like a natural progression to those films though I think the statues did get a bit out of control in the next film. I think the cast of this film is much weaker. Tommy Lee Jones had potential to be a great Harvey Dent/Two-Face but he's sadly reduced to being a Joker clone. And Jim Carrey, I like him but I find him to be the worst part of the film. His performance was just bad all around. I rolled my eyes most of the time he was on screen. I'd enjoy this film more if Riddler was removed from it.

Lastly we come to Batman & Robin.This one used to be my least favorite for a while but It's gotten a little better with each viewing. It's much more tolerable than Batman Forever but not by much. Clooney as Batman/Bruce Wayne is a bit hit and miss for me. His best scenes are with Michael Gough as Alfred. Other than that, He's pretty much monotone throughout. I really enjoy Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze. He's the only actor who is having the most fun in the film. (As much as a departure for the character he is.) Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy is almost as bad as Jim Carrey's Riddler. I'd enjoy the film more without Poison Ivy in the film. One thing I really enjoy out of both of Joel Schumacher's films is the scores by composer Elliot Goldenthal. Like Danny Elfman's scores for the Burton Batman films, they really elevate the material and give the films some much needed suspense in my book. Something I feel the Nolan films lacked.

It was a fun night revisiting the original films. I'll be looking at the Nolan Trilogy again soon and see if that will be any better in my eyes as I'm not it's biggest fan. Until next time.
    CfnohrwUMAEUpaz.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I should do that.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 12,281
    I love Batman (1989), like Batman Returns (1992) pretty well, and strongly dislike both Batman Forever (1995) and Batman & Robin (1997). I used to tolerate Forever to an extent, but is getting worse with every watch.
    I enjoy Batman and Batman Returns about equally now. They both have things I could go without but good all around. Batman Forever has the visual elements and score to keep me invested and Batman & Robin is one of those so bad it's good movies.
    Batman Returns (1992) is amazing when I'm in the mood for it. It's got flaws but sure but it's got a lot of good stuff about it.
    Agreed. I have a new appreciation for it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Very few films can create as much atmosphere as those two do.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,999
    Ray Harryhausen's The Valley of Gwangi, on Blu-ray. I am a huge Harryhausen fan. Dinosaurs and cowboys, how can you beat it? :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ray Harryhausen's The Valley of Gwangi, on Blu-ray. I am a huge Harryhausen fan. Dinosaurs and cowboys, how can you beat it? :)

Dinosaurs, cowboys AND aliens?
    A couple of my favorite Youtube movie reviewers recently covered that movie. For those who haven't seen it there are spoilers.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »

Dinosaurs, cowboys AND aliens?

And aliens? get real man, how far fetched would that be?

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @stag, excellent movie! Saw it very recently for the first time myself. :) Did you like it?
    @DarthDimi, I have seen it before, but yes. A great film. Stanley Baker is one of my favourite actors so I have seen almost all his films.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THOR

Not the best Marvel movie, but very entertaining. Interesting that both Chris Hemsworth, Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston have been mentioned as possible 007 contenders, while Anthony Hopkins was offered the part of 006.

If anything, Hopkins should have been M.
    Hopkins reminds me of Bernard Lee, so it would've been interesting to see him as M.
    One of the Bond copycats you guys recommended me: Furia à Bahia pour OSS-117. Hunnebelle was a good action movie flick director, as he showed with his Fantomas films, and Frederick Stafford was somewhat like George Lazenby (heck, they even shared the Australian citizenship), not bad for a beginner and good enough on fight scenes, but I can't see what Hitch saw in him to make him the protagonist of Topaz.
    Nice action scenes, flimsy plot, nice-sounding but not always adequate soundtrack. Not bad, but meh, I've seen better Eurospy flicks.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    One of the Bond copycats you guys recommended me: Furia à Bahia pour OSS-117. Hunnebelle was a good action movie flick director, as he showed with his Fantomas films, and Frederick Stafford was somewhat like George Lazenby (heck, they even shared the Australian citizenship), not bad for a beginner and good enough on fight scenes, but I can't see what Hitch saw in him to make him the protagonist of Topaz.
    Nice action scenes, flimsy plot, nice-sounding but not always adequate soundtrack. Not bad, but meh, I've seen better Eurospy flicks.
    From Tokyo With Love is the better of the two Stafford OSS 117s, @bigladiesman. It's a mixture of The Spy Who Loved Me and You Only Live Twice, with a little bit of From Russia With Love (sniper assassination scene) thrown in. But, then again, Eurospy films are mostly B-Movies hence their filmsy plots and cliches they carried on. Big capitalization on the success of spy thrillers that James Bond made famous in the sixties.
    From Tokyo With Love is the better of the two Stafford OSS 117s, @bigladiesman. It's a mixture of The Spy Who Loved Me and You Only Live Twice, with a little bit of From Russia With Love (sniper assassination scene) thrown in. But, then again, Eurospy films are mostly B-Movies hence their filmsy plots and cliches they carried on. Big capitalization on the success of spy thrillers that James Bond made famous in the sixties.

The next one I'm going to see is That Man In Istambul. I think my grandfather may had worked on it: he used to be a prop man (that year, he was in Chimes At Midnight).

The next one I'm going to see is That Man In Istambul. I think my grandfather may had worked on it: he used to be a prop man (that year, he was in Chimes At Midnight).
    "What, Me Worry?" ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Took my daughter to see Beauty and the Beast.

It's already made $876million WW, 395m domestically!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Caught Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) on Film4, last night. What a pile of crap that was. Just couldn't get into it, don't think I laughed once…well maybe once.
    Kiss of the Dragon (2001)
    Jet Li kicks ass.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,602
    @Lancaster007, finally someone agrees with me. This film seems to have gained quite a cult following but apart from the soundtrack and maybe the 80s nostalgia effect there's literally nothing in that movie to keep me excited.

@001, he does, doesn't he? Have you seen HERO? My favourite Jet Li film.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    001 wrote: »
    Kiss of the Dragon (2001)
    Jet Li kicks ass.
    You've got to be joking!! :O

I watched that only a couple of hours ago!

Hell of a movie. Especially the fight between Li and Cyrill Rafaelli. Back then it was like the clash of titans!
    edited April 2017 Posts: 1,575
    @Lancaster007, finally someone agrees with me. This film seems to have gained quite a cult following but apart from the soundtrack and maybe the 80s nostalgia effect there's literally nothing in that movie to keep me excited.

Hero is supposed the bomb. I look forward to watching it one day. :)

Have you seen Unleashed (2005) ?

Re UNLEASHED, alas, I can't say that I have.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Cheers @DarthDimi - thought I was going to get slaughtered for that comment!
    As for Jet Li I've got Fearless and Fist of Legend (remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury), and I did enjoy Hero.
    @Lancaster007, I know the feeling. I feel diffident about my mitigated praise for certain well-loved films. FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF is one of them.