Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    THE DARK KNIGHT

Grandiose film, elevated by excellent photo, a tense score, its theme of choice and top notch performances by everyone. It is quite a curiosity that Scarecrow is featured in all three films. I love it.
    A gold standard entry & a seminal effort in film making. I must give the whole trilogy a rewatch soon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondjames wrote: »
    THE DARK KNIGHT

Grandiose film, elevated by excellent photo, a tense score, its theme of choice and top notch performances by everyone. It is quite a curiosity that Scarecrow is featured in all three films. I love it.
    A gold standard entry & a seminal effort in film making. I must give the whole trilogy a rewatch soon.

It always makes the little kid inside me very proud when I think of The Dark Knight and say, "A Batman film is a modern cinematic classic." Never thought I'd say that, but so glad I can.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ledger's take on The Joker is one of the few cinematic roles where I've absolutely been unable to see the actor inside of the character; he made it entirely his own, and regardless of the darkness behind what he was going through and his unfortunate passing, he deserved all the awards, praise, and recognition that came with his role. Over the past few years, I've found myself preferring 'Batman Begins' to 'The Dark Knight,' but both are incredible films to me. Shame the trilogy ended on a bit of a dud compared to the first two, but that tends to be the way it goes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ledger's take on The Joker is one of the few cinematic roles where I've absolutely been unable to see the actor inside of the character; he made it entirely his own, and regardless of the darkness behind what he was going through and his unfortunate passing, he deserved all the awards, praise, and recognition that came with his role. Over the past few years, I've found myself preferring 'Batman Begins' to 'The Dark Knight,' but both are incredible films to me. Shame the trilogy ended on a bit of a dud compared to the first two, but that tends to be the way it goes.

He's one of the few villains in modern cinema that I think hits every note. Villains are hard to write, painfully so, and it's hard not to be disappointed. Sitting in that theater at 14, watching that man stick a pencil through another man's eye while out-scheming the mob, law enforcement and a trained crimefighter all at once while wearing a mirthful grin, I knew I was watching something special. It was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had to watch Heath play for the first time, and being so confused in my seat at the attraction I felt towards the character. I shouldn't like the Joker and enjoy that he's winning, but I kinda liked it... Unforgettable performance, up there with the greats of cinema.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I don't believe I've ever seen a more packed theater experience than I did for TDK: completely sold out, every single theater had been rented out just for that movie (I think there were 8-10 separate screens at the one I attended), and when I went in for the midnight showing, the line of people had to stretch for close to a mile, no exaggeration. It was unbelievable. I even saw some guy my age sneak in and ask if I was fine with him sitting on the floor next to my seat, because the entire thing was sold out and he refused to miss the movie. The pencil magic trick? The entire theater erupted in applause and cheers when that happened. In terms of enjoying the movie alongside others who were just as eager to see it, it might be my favorite cinema-going experience.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The pencil magic trick is perhaps my favourite magic trick ever. How did he do it?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I don't believe I've ever seen a more packed theater experience than I did for TDK: completely sold out, every single theater had been rented out just for that movie (I think there were 8-10 separate screens at the one I attended), and when I went in for the midnight showing, the line of people had to stretch for close to a mile, no exaggeration. It was unbelievable. I even saw some guy my age sneak in and ask if I was fine with him sitting on the floor next to my seat, because the entire thing was sold out and he refused to miss the movie. The pencil magic trick? The entire theater erupted in applause and cheers when that happened. In terms of enjoying the movie alongside others who were just as eager to see it, it might be my favorite cinema-going experience.

I think the theater wasn't too bustling when I saw it, but years later for Rises, it was packed. I'd gone with two friends to a marathon event of the Nolan films, where all three would be run back to back to back, with Rises premiering right as the clock struck midnight. It was the most fulfilling and exciting experience ever to be with my two great friends as we were surrounded by other folks who were just as excited to be there for the big conclusion. I remember all the cheers, moments of silence during tense intervals, and of course the room-shaking applause at the end as we erupted with joy and energy as the credits began to roll at what was approaching three in the morning. I don't think I'll ever have another film experience like that one.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Where Love Has Gone (1964)
    With hurricane Susan on one side, and hurricane Bette on the other, much respect to Mike Conners (and everyone else in the cast), for trying not to join the leads in cranking up the melodrama to 11.

Whether embelished or not, the story goes that Davis had the knives out for Hayward from the word go (Hayward having starred inThe Stolen Hours which was a reworking a film that Davis starred in, The Dark Victory). Hayward wasn't one to back down, the result must have sent the rest of the cast and crew fleeing for cover, and the film becomes one of those bad movies people love.

Haven't seen it, would like to.

If you like films that have an overpowering sense of drama, have at it.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883

I think the theater wasn't too bustling when I saw it, but years later for Rises, it was packed. I'd gone with two friends to a marathon event of the Nolan films, where all three would be run back to back to back, with Rises premiering right as the clock struck midnight. It was the most fulfilling and exciting experience ever to be with my two great friends as we were surrounded by other folks who were just as excited to be there for the big conclusion. I remember all the cheers, moments of silence during tense intervals, and of course the room-shaking applause at the end as we erupted with joy and energy as the credits began to roll at what was approaching three in the morning. I don't think I'll ever have another film experience like that one.
    I wish I could have done a back to back like that! A member here saw them in IMAX on a back to back in London a few years back and said it was a great experience.

The theatres were completely packed and buzzing for both TDK and TDKR for every showing that I went to. Great energy on all occasions. The only other time I've seen that level of enthusiasm and excitement from the crowd during a film is during the many showings I went to for SF. Prior to that it might have been Jurassic Park.

I wish I could have done a back to back like that! A member here saw them in IMAX on a back to back in London a few years back and said it was a great experience.

The theatres were completely packed and buzzing for both TDK and TDKR for every showing that I went to. Great energy on all occasions. The only other time I've seen that level of enthusiasm and excitement from the crowd during a film is during the many showings I went to for SF. Prior to that it might have been Jurassic Park.

@bondjames, I saw Rises in IMAX sometime that summer following the opening night while I was visiting a city that had such a theater (the only time I've seen a film in IMAX), but it wasn't really the same. The technology and sound is interesting, but I much prefer the standard theater experience where I'm facing a screen that isn't imposing and lost in its own grandiosity. It's a more intimate and powerful experience in a small room with a smaller audience, and that's how I'll always prefer it. Maybe it's the traditionalist in me.

@bondjames, I saw Rises in IMAX sometime that summer following the opening night while I was visiting a city that had such a theater (the only time I've seen a film in IMAX), but it wasn't really the same. The technology and sound is interesting, but I much prefer the standard theater experience where I'm facing a screen that isn't imposing and lost in its own grandiosity. It's a more intimate and powerful experience in a small room with a smaller audience, and that's how I'll always prefer it. Maybe it's the traditionalist in me.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I saw TDK & TDKR in IMAX as well, but never in a back-to-back viewing.

I hear what you're saying about IMAX, and I've found that it depends on the theatre. I always book the seats right at the back to get the widest perspective, because as you say it can be overwhelming otherwise. There are also varying qualities of IMAX theatres. I'm not all that familiar with it all, but some are True IMAX and some are a sort of IMAX lite.

I will say that one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in a theatre to this day is experiencing that opening TDK bank heist in full IMAX. From the moment that grappling hook smashes through the skyscraper glass on a sunny Gotham day (with Zimmer's Joker theme blaring) onwards was just pure magic. The Bat's escape from Hong Kong & the truck flip were both incredible as well in this format, as was the plane escape at the start of TDKR.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I saw TDK & TDKR in IMAX as well, but never in a back-to-back viewing.

I hear what you're saying about IMAX, and I've found that it depends on the theatre. I always book the seats right at the back to get the widest perspective, because as you say it can be overwhelming otherwise. There are also varying qualities of IMAX theatres. I'm not all that familiar with it all, but some are True IMAX and some are a sort of IMAX lite.

I will say that one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in a theatre to this day is experiencing that opening TDK bank heist in full IMAX. From the moment that grappling hook smashes through the skyscraper glass on a sunny Gotham day onwards was just pure magic. The Bat's escape from Hong Kong & the truck flip were both incredible as well in this format, as was the plane escape at the start of TDKR.

I was kind of off to the side in my viewing, so that could've made the experience feel a bit off to me. Kind of like holding up a landscaped picture to view it, but you're looking at it from the far left corner of the frame. You still see it, but it's not an ideal viewpoint to fully appreciate it. In the end though, I don't think much difference would be made. I'm inherently an old soul and Luddite combo, and some technological advances lose me completely, including all these new phones and other gizmos. Sometimes simple is best, and with theater experiences I hold that view. If a film is good, it'll be a joy to watch on any screen, and consume you with its story and characters entirely.
    0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I can perfectly understand what you're saying about your IMAX experience. That happened to me on my first IMAX viewing (I can't remember the film) and from then on I've always made sure that I've got the back seats dead centre. IMAX venues are far less forgiving of seat positioning. I really think they're only worth it if the film has been shot in that format (like the last two Nolan entries) to get the full effect. It doesn't make sense for other films, like SF etc.
    0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I can perfectly understand what you're saying about your IMAX experience. That happened to me on my first IMAX viewing (I can't remember the film) and from then on I've always made sure that I've got the back seats dead centre. IMAX venues are far less forgiving of seat positioning. I really think they're only worth it if the film has been shot in that format (like the last two Nolan entries) to get the full effect. It doesn't make sense for other films, like SF etc.

Exactly. Shows like The Big Bang Theory make light of theater seat selection, but it's the difference between an exciting theater experience and a strained or uncomfortable one at times. It's a mini task for me every time I go out to the cinema, always calculating at each step which is the best option ahead of me.
    Black Rain [1989] - a Ridley Scot movie that looks absolutely stunning, as do most of his movies. This one takes place in New York and then movies across the Pacific in Japan where the most certainly is big culture collusion with a dinosaur-like detective played by Michael Douglas who learns something about honor and debt by his stoic Japanese Partner who helps him to achieve justice after his partner gets killed in Japan. I was surprised to learn that the actor Yûsaku Matsuda was a popular matinee idol in Japan who changed his style by acting as the evil in this movie and he convinced in a big way. This actor died after this movie was finished due to the big C. Nobody knew during the filming of the movie.

Black Rain is an accomplished movie and in no way the best Ridley Scot movie but is does deliver and is beautiful and entertaining. You can do worse by never watching this movie but should most certainly take the two hours it lasts to at least watch this movie once.
    I agree @SaintMark. It's got a bit of Blade Runner in it imho. Dark film, and that Yakuza guy was creepy.
    Did you see Razorfist's review of Black Rain?
    It's hilarious (like all his reviews are) and this review actually got me to watch the movie!
    Black Rain was one of those movies I had heard about but never sat down and watched. Glad I did!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    His Death Wish & Dirty Harry reviews are must see.
    Oh yeah, they're great! I think my favorite review so far is actually Malone, lol. That edited clip of Burt Reynolds beating that fat guy cracks me up every time!

Razorfist, if you're out there: please review the Bond films!
    That was hilarious @Master_Dahark. I'm compelled to watch it again. Got to love Douglas as a bad ass in his prime. I miss the guy -since he got married he's been awol. There was a time when he was owning it.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Oh yeah, they're great! I think my favorite review so far is actually Malone, lol. That edited clip of Burt Reynolds beating that fat guy cracks me up every time!

"His suspicions are aroused by the familiar scent of moustache wax and hair piece adhesive."
    Razorfist, if you're out there: please review the Bond films!

I would love to see him tackle the Bond cannon.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    COHERENCE

coherence-1.png

Eight friends gather for a lovely dinner party. A comet flies by and suddenly all the lights are out and cell phones no longer work. But there's more... Our group finds another house in the street where it never used to be before. And even more concerning, the house is pretty familiar and so are the people they spot inside.

More and more clever science fiction films are stepping outside the safe zone of linear time travel, alien invasions and fantastical space exploration. Intriguing concepts are pried from the pages of a modern physics textbook or short stories by some of the more sophisticated science fiction authors and developed into film scripts, resulting in such interesting output as PREDESTINATION, PRIMER and SYNCHRONICITY. COHERENCE is another example of a low-budget science fiction thriller starring mostly unknown actors who are typically trapped in a very small setting and are forced to deal with a most unusual phenomenon.

Expect no expensive visual effects; instead, the mysterious events which startle our characters and result in exciting games of deduction as well as in cold desperation, are enough to keep us hooked. The actors, while of little Hollywood fame, deliver amazingly naturalistic performances, guaranteeing a sense of reality rather than the typical "stage drama" one finds in more mainstream films. Add an eerie, ambient score, and the science fiction comes with an extra bonus: fear. No monsters, ghosts or Earth threatening events, but the spine-chilling sensation of getting stuck in an unstable physical world where the laws of nature in their most common aspects no longer seem to apply.

I truly applaud COHERENCE for making me uncomfortable, frightened and simultaneously proud to have given some of this stuff a lot of thought before, albeit through the medium of a physics textbook. Filmmakers it seems have finally begun cracking the code for how to blend the many fascinating concepts of quantum physics and relativity into unforgettable if small-scale sci-fi thrillers. Perhaps not everything will enjoy a film like this, but I love it!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Has anyone else seen MEMENTO

Yes. How'd you take it? Or have you forgotten?

(I hope you tattooed a review on your arm if you did).
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Okay so I watched it for the second time recently and I'm still confused. So why does he write down teddies name at the end of the movie if he knows teddy isn't the person he is looking for. He ends up killing him too.
    Spellbound (1945). Decent Hitchcock flick; wouldn't rank among my all-time favorites from him, but still a good picture.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,985

Okay so I watched it for the second time recently and I'm still confused. So why does he write down teddies name at the end of the movie if he knows teddy isn't the person he is looking for. He ends up killing him too.

Bit of a mind bender isn't it @JamesBondKenya ?!!

Because he is using deliberate self delusion to continue his quest to find his wife's killer. He will have no memory of killing Teddy and will move on to the next set of clues that lead to someone else. If he 'solves' the mystery of his wife's killer what has he got to live for?

He found and killed his wife's killer some time back (If there even was a culprit to start with) according to Teddy but Leonard is an unreliable narrator. How much of his past is real and how much is constructed from beliefs and wishes?

The DVD edition let you watch the film in chronological order as an extra.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love Memento. Very smart film.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE-ROGUE NATION

Sorry, this was a very boring experience. The only part that I enjoyed was the London finale.
    I love Memento. Very smart film.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE-ROGUE NATION

Sorry, this was a very boring experience. The only part that I enjoyed was the London finale.
    I quite disagree. It was an excellent film. Highly entertaining and much better than anything else that came out in that genre in that year, imho.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Fellowship of The Ring

Haven't seen this long version in many years and it really is an incredible piece of filmmaking.

Everything here is top notch. Acting, direction, photography and production design. Also a great score from Howard Shore and some gorgeous New Zealand locations.

Thankfully this didn't overdo the CGI like the Hobbit films and it makes a huge difference to the essence of the film.