Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• SaintMark wrote: »
    Zodiac - a really struggle to watch way too long and sometimes really not that interesting, it is more about the obsession about a serial Killer who never got caught than anything else. You learn little about obsessed and their drives and what makes them tick and even less about the killer themselves. This is a over-rated movie if there was ever one. Great cast though.

Haven't seen it since it first came out, but at the time I thought it was a fine, functional film with (as you say) good performances. Not quite as stylish or artistic as any of Fincher's other films to date—Panic Room included—Zodiac was perhaps my least favorite of his works and the beginning of me not feeling obligated to watch each and every film Fincher would ever make. The story is left unresolved and as a result perhaps feels a bit incomplete. Granted, it's based off an unresolved real-life mystery, but even The Social Network had more of a complete and satisfyingly wrapped-up narrative, I thought. All in all, a pretty solid movie from a technical standpoint, but I can't give it much more than that.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Zodiac - a really struggle to watch way too long and sometimes really not that interesting, it is more about the obsession about a serial Killer who never got caught than anything else. You learn little about obsessed and their drives and what makes them tick and even less about the killer themselves. This is a over-rated movie if there was ever one. Great cast though.

Haven't seen it since it first came out, but at the time I thought it was a fine, functional film with (as you say) good performances. Not quite as stylish or artistic as any of Fincher's other films to date—Panic Room included—Zodiac was perhaps my least favorite of his works and the beginning of me not feeling obligated to watch each and every film Fincher would ever make. The story is left unresolved and as a result perhaps feels a bit incomplete. Granted, it's based off an unresolved real-life mystery, but even The Social Network had more of a complete and satisfyingly wrapped-up narrative, I thought. All in all, a pretty solid movie from a technical standpoint, but I can't give it much more than that.

I can live with your assessment.

• edited February 2017 Posts: 2,107
    MV5BYWUxMzViZTUtNTYxNy00YjY4LWJmMjYtMzNlOThjNjhiZmZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

One of the classics.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 12,287
    Eraserhead (1977). I am thoroughly perplexed and disturbed :(( :-/ :((

but it was good.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Keeping Up with the Jonses (2016)

Abysmal. Just Abysmal.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423
    jake24 wrote: »

Abysmal. Just Abysmal.
    Worth it just for the Gal Gadot and Isla Fisher scenes. :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    "The Legend Of Tarzan"

Quite enjoyed this new interpretation and was surprised at how much Skarsgaard looked at home in the role.

We haven t had a fun Tarzan movie like that since...when? The 40s?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

Abysmal. Just Abysmal.
    Worth it just for the Gal Gadot and Isla Fisher scenes. :))
    Yup. Just about.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    "The Legend Of Tarzan"

Quite enjoyed this new interpretation and was surprised at how much Skarsgaard looked at home in the role.

We haven t had a fun Tarzan movie like that since...when? The 40s?

The Disney version was ok, nothing special.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    John Wick: Chapter 2
    john-wick-2-poster-gun-230645-640x320.jpg

Almost as good as the first movie! I was worried the story would be forced and come off as redundant (i.e. the Taken trilogy), but it made sense and was well told. The action this time around was a bit more brutal (god was it great!) but I'll say I like the action in the first just slightly more. I wasn't expecting it to end the way it did and I'm excited to see what's in store for the all but confirmed Chapter 3.
    My experience probably would've been better had some dumb S.O.B. not been talking throughout half the movie. I actually had to get up and move so I could enjoy the movie. Oh well, it gives me an excuse to go see it again.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 12,287
    Mulholland Drive (2001). Mixed feelings on this popular Lynch film. Honestly I much prefer Eraserhead (1977) and The Elephant Man (1980). I'll give Blue Velvet (1986) a try next.

EDIT: Watched The Straight Story (1999) first. Very nice film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    SaintMark wrote: »

Fincher is God!
    Zodiac (2007) is my favorite Fincher film. And I like most of his movies.
    Pierce Brosnan as

Bill Granger's Peter Devereaux

In

The November Man

Good fun. This Pierce Brosnan cat should play Bond.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Pierce Brosnan as

Bill Granger's Peter Devereaux

In

The November Man

Good fun. This Pierce Brosnan cat should play Bond.

I hear he is sniffing dead people s hair, so that is very Bondian, I guess.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bleed for this

It wasn't terrible; it had a decent cast but the film was nothing special. It was mostly boring.

I need to rewatch Creed; one of the best films if not the best film of 2015.
    Blue Velvet (1986). Great movie; one of Lynch's best for sure.
    Die Hard With a Vengeance
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just watched The Nice Guys, starring Crowe and Gosling. Good film, very entertaining. BUT...

Why do filmmakers think that just because something is set in the 70s, it means all 70s music is applicable? The film in set in 1977, but somehow music from 1979 is in the soundtrack.
    Good catch,and pretty sloppy from those responsible.

Although not as bad as a commercial airship appearing in INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE. The film is set in 1938, and yet the Hindenburg disaster in the May of 1937 put an end to that traffic.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,692
    John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

Hands down one of, if not the best action film I've ever seen. Keanu Reeves is an absolute legend. I couldn't believe the sheer badassery of the film. The action scenes in this film were off the charts. I just can not wait for John Wick 3.
    Cinderella Man (2005)

Great boxing film, with great performances from all involved.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny in 4K, this film is way below the first film though found it enjoyable for what it is. There is a decent cast quite a few familiar faces, the action is not great though decent enough.

Game of Death on BD much to my surprise the mish mash film has been totally remastered, the Bruce scenes look fantastic.

Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon I have a mini break from work started back in the gym and wanted additional inspiration. Bruce's films are phenomenal forty plus years later nothing touches what he did in these five films, seriously any Bruce fan needs to get the BD remastered films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »
    Just watched The Nice Guys, starring Crowe and Gosling. Good film, very entertaining. BUT...

Why do filmmakers think that just because something is set in the 70s, it means all 70s music is applicable? The film in set in 1977, but somehow music from 1979 is in the soundtrack.

You're bound to find errors like that in any movie you watch that takes place before present-day. Surely it can't be that hard to go over the song list for a film to ensure that the songs were actually released at that time.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    BvS again this film is awesome, must have watched it a hundred times.

Why did you say that name This film resonated more than any in the genre for personal reasons.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Repulsion (1965): Slow-paced, even boring during the first act. Then chilling and an interesting insight on the workings of a troubled (yes, it's an understatement) mind. Great first English language film by Roman Polanski.

As a person with OCD and prone to depression (they said I have Aspergers, but I didn't get a proper diagnosis), I can somewhat identify myself with Mm. Deneuve's character. Until she "crosses the line", of course. And sex rules.

On a sidenote, is that true that Catherine Deneuve almost got the part of Tracy? I think it wouldn't have worked...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Repulsion (1965): Slow-paced, even boring during the first act. Then chilling and an interesting insight on the workings of a troubled (yes, it's an understatement) mind. Great first English language film by Roman Polanski.

That movie is incredibly unsettling, particularly down to the frenetic camerawork at times. The hallway of arms is a classic horror moment.

As a person with OCD and prone to depression (they said I have Aspergers, but I didn't get a proper diagnosis), I can somewhat identify myself with Mm. Deneuve's character. Until she "crosses the line", of course. And sex rules.

On a sidenote, is that true that Catherine Deneuve almost got the part of Tracy? I think it wouldn't have worked...

I think that was Brigitte Bardot.

• BvS again this film is awesome, must have watched it a hundred times.

Why did you say that name This film resonated more than any in the genre for personal reasons.

Glad I'm not the only one who liked the film. It's one of my favorites.