Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

doubleoego wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @jake24 @doubleoego, I'm happy to hear you both loved it as much as I did. Great stuff, can't wait to see it again.

It was a blast from start to finish. The ending though...there has to be a third.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Fifty shades darker

Where to I begin.... for starters my wife thinks Jamie Dorian could be the next 007... outside of that the film was ok... not the worst not the best just ok

Stop hiding behind your wife. We all know it's you who thinks Dornan could be 007.
    ;)

Hey now I am a Hardy/fassbender/Hiddleston fan...

I wouldn't complain about Dorian but he would be far from number 1 of course to be perfectly honest Orlando Bloom is slowly creeping up from the bottom of my list Unlocked looks that good.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    BLUE VELVET

file_585898_blue-velvet-11152013-142707.jpg

David Lynch isn't my guy. Though I'm a huge fan of ERASERHEAD and have nothing but respect for THE ELEPHANT MAN, I get more and more irritated by the pretentiousness of Lynch's later work. I don't mind dissecting a movie and looking for hidden whatevers, but when only a handful of scenes make sense and the director can't even produce some explanation for what we're seeing, I zone out.

BLUE VELVET, however, is one of Lynch's greats in my opinion. With Hopper's maniacal performance as Frank Booth drawing all attention to itself, I also want to especially compliment Maclachlan, Rossellini and Dern. An intriguing, well-made film, one of Lynch's best.

Blue Velvet is one of my favourite films. Such a foreboding atmosphere and an incredible soundtrack.

Don't think he's ever topped it.

The Elephant Man (1980) is the only Lynch film I have seen, and I thought it was great. Not sure if I'll enjoy his style though based on the clips of Eraserhead I've seen. Maybe sometime I'll try more of his movies, including Blue Velvet.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Lost Highway and Mullholland Drive two of my favouraite Lynch films, also think his cut of Dune is very good.
    The Elephant Man is his best film in my opinion.
    Manchester by the Sea (2016)

Very good film, one of 2016's best.
  • The Elephant Man is his best film in my opinion.

Same. Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive were both impressive, but Elephant Man is a true classic.

I have no interest in Eraserhead, which I have heard is largely disturbing and lacking in narrative. Think I can skip that one.

Same. Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive were both impressive, but Elephant Man is a true classic.

I have no interest in Eraserhead, which I have heard is largely disturbing and lacking in narrative. Think I can skip that one.

Mullholland Drive is my #2, and while i'm not exactly a fan of Blue Velvet i can certainly understand why people like it so much.
    Eraserhead i hated, disturbing and disgusting movie.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Batman vs Superman.

Very odd, I found myself neither liking or disliking it. I thought Ben Affleck was great as Bruce Wayne and Batman but it was mediocre in a sense. I had never seen Man of Steel so maybe that had something to do with it.
  • The Elephant Man is his best film in my opinion.

Mullholland Drive is my #2, and while i'm not exactly a fan of Blue Velvet i can certainly understand why people like it so much.
    Eraserhead i hated, disturbing and disgusting movie.

I like Mulholland Drive second best, too. I'll take your advice on Eraserhead.
    Batman vs Superman.

Very odd, I found myself neither liking or disliking it. I thought Ben Affleck was great as Bruce Wayne and Batman but it was mediocre in a sense. I had never seen Man of Steel so maybe that had something to do with it.

I'm planning on watching the extended cut soon. I didn't mind the movie too much the first time, but hopefully the extended cut makes me appreciate it even more.
    Manglehorn (2014). Really liked this film. Excellent performance by Al Pacino.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

You have to watch Eraserhead...at least once!

Strangest film ever made! Pure Lynch!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A CURE FOR WELLNESS

What a great film. Highly original, beautiful, deeply disturbing.

I think there were some hidden references to real life people there.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,693
    A CURE FOR WELLNESS

@Thunderfinger I saw it last week, really enjoyed it too.
    As John Wick 2 has just opened i thought it about time i watched the first. Boy, thats 2 hours of my life i will never get back. Sorry guys but i just dont get why everyone on here raves about it. Other than the basic setup there is no plot, no character development just 2 hours of mindless, endless violence. Over edited, annoying techno score and my single biggest gripe in modern movies, CGI blood on the bullet hits. How hard is it to rig squibs these days. The dog was cute though.
    A CURE FOR WELLNESS

@DaltonCraig007, glad to hear it. It has gotten some mixed reactions, and I understand it isn t for everyone. I thought it had a great cast, score, cinematography, a story that took new turns throughout. Very good all the way, and nothing typical about it.
    A CURE FOR WELLNESS

@DaltonCraig007, glad to hear it. It has gotten some mixed reactions, and I understand it isn t for everyone. I thought it had a great cast, score, cinematography, a story that took new turns throughout. Very good all the way, and nothing typical about it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited February 2017 Posts: 3,985
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    As John Wick 2 has just opened i thought it about time i watched the first. Boy, thats 2 hours of my life i will never get back. Sorry guys but i just dont get why everyone on here raves about it. Other than the basic setup there is no plot, no character development just 2 hours of mindless, endless violence. Over edited, annoying techno score and my single biggest gripe in modern movies, CGI blood on the bullet hits. How hard is it to rig squibs these days. The dog was cute though.

Ha Ha @cooperman2

I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of this film! I thought it's 'John Wick shoots endless goons with CGI effects' action was bloody tedious. May as well watch someone play a shoot em up video game for all the substance it offers. Mindless tripe for the easily pleased.

Mind you, we're in the minority as most people seem to love it... :-S
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2017 Posts: 4,554
    double post
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Arrival

Indeed, Sicario was no fluke. Denis Villeneuve for Bond 25, please.

On a separate note...

I wasn't sure where to put this, but as a huge fan of Predator & Lock Up, I was very surprised and sad to learn that Sonny Landham has recently lost both of his legs.
    Odd that I can't seem to find this online anywhere besides Facebook, but there's a gofundme.

18052116_1486449563.7667.jpg

My father and Landham were roommates, for a short time, in an apartment in L.A., back in the mid-60s.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Morgan

It was better than I was expected but still fell kind of flat. The overall events of the movie was pretty dull but the plot was entertaining enough.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    London Has Fallen (2016)
    DJvgX6T.jpg

Occasionally a film disappoints me in the theatre but redeems itself on blu ray. London Has Fallen is one of those films. I was very much looking forward to it last year, having quite enjoyed predecessor Olympus Has Fallen (far more than the rubbish White House Down). However, I was let down by the horrendous CGI during the terrorist attack in London (there are scenes with helicopters and missiles that make the work in DAD seem worthy of a special effects Oscar in comparison, which is tragic given that the Bond film was made more than a decade prior). Sadly, this detracted from my viewing experience at the time. Last night, knowing what to expect in this regard, I found myself focusing more on the hand to hand combat and other action sequences instead, and had more fun as a result. Gerard Butler returns as Secret Service honcho Mike Bannon, who once again has to protect POTUS (Aaron Eckhart) from terrorists. This time around they are garden variety radical Islamists (as opposed to North Koreans in the first film). Needless to say, the buff Bannon is up to the task, and disposes of several while delivering glib quips worthy of John McClane at his best. I read somewhere that this series will get one more sequel, entitled Angel Has Fallen, in 2018. I'm looking forward to it, as long as they have a better budget for F/X this time out. Bannon is a worthy successor to McClane imho.
    "The Legend Of Tarzan"

Quite enjoyed this new interpretation and was surprised at how much Skarsgaard looked at home in the role.
    @LeonardPine. So glad i am not alone. I think its appeal is greater to gamers who are used to endless shooting and computer generated blood. I would tie the director to a chair, eyes forced open Clockwork Orange style and force him to watch Die Hard until he learned something about character and story development.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,602
    Karate Kid (2010)

Easy to thow away this movie as a cheap remake but my kids love it so it must do something right. I like the reworking of the original plot and I do think that Jackie Chan can really act. There are some nice training montages (let down by the music) but overall , pretty enjoyable.
    PS I did something a little anal, I watched the training montage with the music from Rocky 4 played over it. Transforms the scene and a great little example of what a key role music can play within a movie.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,693
    @bondjames I find it cool that Gerard Butler and Liam Neeson have their roles personalized - Neeson seems to always have a former CIA/spy background in his films, while Butler always has a military background.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    @LeonardPine. So glad i am not alone. I think its appeal is greater to gamers who are used to endless shooting and computer generated blood. I would tie the director to a chair, eyes forced open Clockwork Orange style and force him to watch Die Hard until he learned something about character and story development.

Therein lies the problem: it's obviously an action-driven film with incredibly impressive choreography being its main selling point. Lining up for this series to see character/story development is immediately setting yourself up for a bad time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007, I never noticed that before and you're right. Butler was made for Bannon imho. The role fits like a glove. I just hope they don't overdo the CGI next time out.

The single tracking shot that they use when he's shooting his way through to the terrorist HQ was really cool.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Meet the Parents (2000)

A true comedic classic, if you ask me. Never has there been a comedy as uncomfortably hilarious as this one since.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Meet the Parents (2000)

A true comedic classic, if you ask me. Never has there been a comedy as uncomfortably hilarious as this one since.

I agree. Hilarious movie!
    Zodiac - a really struggle to watch way too long and sometimes really not that interesting, it is more about the obsession about a serial Killer who never got caught than anything else. You learn little about obsessed and their drives and what makes them tick and even less about the killer themselves. This is a over-rated movie if there was ever one. Great cast though.