Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondjames, don't forget the brutal icicle kill! Nasty stuff, great that he thinks to use it as a weapon at the last second before the bad guy kills him.
    That's a classic kill indeed @Creasy47. and I always look forward to it when I watch the film. McClane being inventive in a Roger Moore Bond way when in a fix, but with a little of that DH brutality thrown in for comfort.
    The Founder (2016)

@bondjames, you will really enjoy this film. Keaton is just phenomenal here.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it @DaltonCraig007. I have to wait until Jan 20th (which is just shocking) before it's released near me, but will definitely check it out on opening night.

Passengers (2016)
    DYZn7de.jpg
    I was looking forward to this Christ Pratt/Jennifer Lawrence space film since I saw the first trailer many months back. I heard that it was getting some bad reviews, but thankfully didn't read anything before going to see the film. I really enjoyed it. Pratt and Lawrence do a great job carrying the film (they're the two main stars and have the most screen time), and it's reasonably suspenseful and romantic at the same time. The special effects are top notch and the movie has a sinister and moody score by Thomas Newman. Michael Sheen has a small but meaningful role, as does Laurence Fishburne. I'm biased towards all things JLaw, but even compensating for that, this is a pretty good movie, and worth a watch, although the ending is a little convenient. It's essentially a space love story.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ZERO DARK THIRTY

I had low expectations, as I really didn t like The Hurt Locker, but this one was much more engaging. Really unpleasant at times, but worth the watch.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,874
    Deep Red (1975) [Arrow Video] aka Profondo Rosso, dir. Dario Argento. Not seen this for about 30-odd years and couldn't remember the killer, so had a great time watching it, even though I remembered the clue I tried not to look too hard, but it was such a fleeting glimpse I probably wouldn't have got it anyway. Typical Argento and the kind of thing you either like or not. David Hemmings was great and I'm working my way through the special features.
    OUT OF THE PAST (1947)

Probably the 5th or 6th time I've watched this noir classic this year. I never get tired of seeing Mitchum and Kirk Douglas together with the witty dialogue and beautiful locations. Easily my favorite film noir.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2016 Posts: 17,694
    Ffolks (1980), just now. Hmmm, cool seeing Moore & Hedison together again after seven years! This was a fantastic performance from Sir Rog on the heels of my least favourite Bond movie the previous year. Somewhat slower paced than I expected, but it held my interest to the end. Only kvetch- the model work was SO excellent, but
    nothing got blowed up!!!
    :-O
    The Artist (2011). Great film; I enjoyed it a lot.
    Independence Day Resurgence.

Another popcorn blast!!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Since @DarthDimi watched one of my favorite films ('The Hunter'), I decided to watch one of his favorites:

1600x800-deniro-heat-shootout-43-jpg-32db0c50.jpg

Heat (1995)

Probably one of the greatest films I can think of. Michael Mann showcases immense skill and craftsmanship in making a pitch perfect crime film. Almost 3 hours of runtime and every single scene of the film is simply stunning. Pacino and De Niro are just extraordinary in this film. Pacino in particular is insane, you never know when he'll start yelling for no reason. Special mention to Pacino's TV who received awful treatment from its owner. The shootout at the bank in downtown L.A. is probably the most breathtaking, brutal and intense shootout in movie history. The sheer noise of the assault riffles is astonishing. The supporting cast is phenomenal - Val Kilmer, Danny Trejo, William Finchtner, Jon Voight, Tom Sizemore, Ted Levine, Natalie Portman...), and the soundtrack is stunning. The final song by Moby is so beautiful, and goes so well with probably what is the best ending scene I've ever seen. 10/10 marks all round.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007
    You said it, friend, this is a pitch perfect film. De Niro gives his best performance ever IMO. Stunning film.

Well done, slick. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I was in the mood for more Michael Mann magic, so I went with...

774fc0fc8bdb760c8986dfd29e7174f6.jpg

Collateral (2004)

Heat is Mann's best work, and one of the best films of all time, but Collateral is my favorite of his. For the night-only action, for the hot, humid night-time Los Angeles, the super cool soundtrack, the cool as ice Tom Cruise (in his best role, by far), his chemistry with Jamie Foxx, and the uber-awesome shootout in the nightclub. Tom Cruise is just mighty impressive, the sheer speed with which he coldly dispatches the 2 thugs trying to steal his briefcase, the Terminator-esque speed at which he runs trying to catch Jamie Foxx, and his insanely tactical body movements in the nightclub shootout. The way he just destroys those goons in there, smashing their necks and legs is just awesome. And the soundtrack, wow! I really love that 'Ready, Steady Go' song (which was also heard in the Paris car chase of Bourne Identity) just makes the badass action even better. Collateral is, for me, the defining super slick and stylish action/thriller of the 21st century.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Children of Men'

One of my favorite movies, and one of the few I'd recommend everyone see just once in your lifetime. Cinematic gold on every level.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Children of Men'

One of my favorite movies, and one of the few I'd recommend everyone see just once in your lifetime. Cinematic gold on every level.

Agreed. Just so hard-hitting.
    La La Land (2016). It lived up to the hype IMO; very impressive, well-crafted musical. Really a modern classic.
    5babc8158623ae34df7a78cf343c6eed.jpg

American Gangster (2007)

As 2017 is less than 48 hours away, I decided to watch a film that will turn 10 years old as we change to a new year. This is another one of my personal favorites. Outside of buddy action comedies, this film has the best lead stars combo I can think of. Denzel Washington is simply fantastic here as drug kinpin Frank Lucas. He is cool as ice and highly charismatic, and when he gets mad, he is a force to be reckoned with. And Russell Crowe was born to play in this film. For 3 hours he is just a large ball of super-charged energy. He takes no shit from anyone, and he just lights up the screen whenever he appears. The near 3 hours of run time goes by very fast, as this true story is very interesting, and it is hugely entertaining to follow such a highly charismatic duo of main characters. The soundtrack is electrifying, and the supporting cast is phenomenal - Ted Levine, Idris Elba, Josh Brolin, Chewitel Ejiefor... Probably my favorite gangster film of the 21st century.
    This one :

DBLOTR-UK-Main-Quad-FINAL-e1468262780218.jpg

A funny film,i enjoyed it.
    David Brent is always funny, in an awkward way.
    He is indeed...Brent and Partridge just crack me up...guaranteed to cheer you up if you are down or out of sorts !!
    @barryt007, is Gareth in it?
    No unfortunately.....nobody from the Office is in it,although things are mentioned during the film,about the past.
    the-last-samurai-2105.jpg

The Last Samurai (2003)

This is one of top 3 all-time films. Superb cinematography, lush soundtrack, powerhouse performances from Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe, a stunning supporting cast, and many fantastic battle scenes - the intro of Watanabe's character, the village attack, the escape of Tokyo and the final battle. This film and 'Blood Diamond' are really my go-to adventure films outside of Bond films. I think Tom Cruise's filmography is pretty damn impressive, how he managed to churn out 'Last Samurai' and 'Collateral' only a year apart is amazing.
    How many films are in your top three precisely?
  • I like the picture you chose @DaltonCraig007
    Poor ol' Tom looks like he realized mid battle that he left the stove on!
    I like the picture you chose @DaltonCraig007
    Poor ol' Tom looks like he realized mid battle that he left the stove on!

Looks more like "Shouldn t have had so much beans before battle."
    @Thunderfinger my top 3: Beasts of No Nation, Lord of War, The Last Samurai.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Looks more like "Shouldn t have had so much beans before battle."

where-will-you-xcr9g3.jpg

;)
    9.jpg

Sicario (2015)

This is the film that made me a huge fan of Denis Villeneuve. He won me over with 'Prisoners', but here he totally blew my socks off. The god damn convoy + border attack scene is just a text book example on how to build tension and do a thriller film. The cinematography is just off the charts, the soundtrack is fantastic. And the 3 main actors, Del Toro, Blunt and Brolin, are just unbelievably good. Del Toro in particular is so friggin scary that even John Wick himself would think twice about going after him. The scene at the end where he stealths in the main villain's mansion, brutally killing every guard, and finishing off by executing the 2 kids and wife of the drug kingpin, is one of the most insanely violent shootout I've ever seen. This film is one of my favorite thrillers, I love how Villeneuve takes his audience for clever people, and how his films are multi layered. Can't wait for 'Soldado' and for Villeneuve's next film, 'Blade Runner 2049'.
    Scream 3 - with a surprise guest-role of a certain Carrie Fisher, overal an amusing movie by Wes Craven.
    @Thunderfinger my top 3: Beasts of No Nation, Lord of War, The Last Samurai.

Of those, I have only seen Lord of War so far.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 17,694
    the-last-samurai-2105.jpg

The Last Samurai (2003)

This is one of top 3 all-time films. Superb cinematography, lush soundtrack, powerhouse performances from Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe, a stunning supporting cast, and many fantastic battle scenes - the intro of Watanabe's character, the village attack, the escape of Tokyo and the final battle. This film and 'Blood Diamond' are really my go-to adventure films outside of Bond films. I think Tom Cruise's filmography is pretty damn impressive, how he managed to churn out 'Last Samurai' and 'Collateral' only a year apart is amazing.
    This was the movie I thought I was watching with 1980's Shogun. 23 years later the REAL DEAL came out! A top epic in my book.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Scream 3 - with a surprise guest-role of a certain Carrie Fisher, overal an amusing movie by Wes Craven.

"I'm not the one who slept with George Lucas", always makes me chuckle. :)

I rather like Parker Posey in that film, even if she took some heat for Scream 3.